really good balanced argument from walls

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

james rose
Club Player

really good balanced argument from walls

agree with almost everything said.. also like the fact it isn't all doom and gloom

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 03979.html

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The media has got it all right this week.

And they all make the same point: redemption can be found this week.

I'm actually grateful we're playing Geelong.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Good article by RW. ....God that was hard to say.m I find myself agreeing with him more these days. Maybe I'm getting old. But he makes very good points.

Particularly about our delivery to the forwards and how to best use them and also Dal.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

agree with him entirely

it wasnt all doom and gloom with his article in comparison to sheehan's

the criticisms are fair however he points out the positives as well...

one half of poor football doesnt kill a football club, especially us

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
congorozides
Club Player

I agree
schneider and milne must be used in midfield rotations.
l fisher blake and firoa are no good in the centre corridor im afraid.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Always felt he may be one of the few commentators that coach's take heed of... Milne and Shneider in the middle could be interesting. Agree with him about Roo, Fraser and Kosi too....

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

we have already tried milne in the midfield and it was terrible

and schnider wants to play in the guts and i think he will once he gets back to optimal fitness after an interrupted pre-season

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

God help Lyon if he plays Milne in the middle to add pace!!

congorozides
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:God help Lyon if he plays Milne in the middle to add pace!!
right so if that is the case -( i thought he did ok in the midfield a few times.)
but ill take your word hes no good. then we are in all sorts. given you need 6 guys going through there to keep pressure on all day we are in all sorts. what have we been planning for the last 18 months??? we are definitely 1 or 2 guys short in the guts. at this stage we have

dal
hayes
ball
harves
x

so when these guys are playing sub-par - then we get murdered in the corridor.

if ball, dal, hayes and x dont start to play better we are in deep shite. not sure who else we can use in there? just makes me so mad we wasted draft pics on raph, b Brooks, mcqualtar and fergus watts. we have needed pacey midfielders for 5 years now . and im still waiting.....

i mean for f's sake. like we needed another tall forward! whoever was party to the f watts drafting should have been shot.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Given the way in which Walls has been unanimously showered with rotten tomatoes on this forum over the past few years, the fact that a few of Barney the Dinosaur's supporters on this forum are looking to use his views to add weight to their defence can only be described as

clutching at straws......
:roll: :roll: :roll:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Given the way in which Walls has been unanimously showered with rotten tomatoes on this forum over the past few years, the fact that a few of Barney the Dinosaur's supporters on this forum are looking to use his views to add weight to their defence can only be described as

Much like the way the anti-Lyon brigade all of a sudden found Patrick Smith and Mike Sheahan worthwhile reading?

Lets face it MB, most posts on this subject are predicated by the posters bias.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
right so if that is the case -( i thought he did ok in the midfield a few times.)
but ill take your word hes no good.
I actually think Milne had his best year when Thomas played him up the ground more.

It's just that plenty on here didn't, and were vocal about it. I was being a smart arse.

eppo67
Club Player

Fact: if you play a big top heavy forward line you have to get it in quick and best if its through the corridor ie down the guts.

Fact: we dont do above. Why? Because our midfield is one paced and we play a negative Swans style of football now.

If you dont believe me watch the DVD of our winning streak in 2004 and compare the styles.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
meher baba wrote:Given the way in which Walls has been unanimously showered with rotten tomatoes on this forum over the past few years, the fact that a few of Barney the Dinosaur's supporters on this forum are looking to use his views to add weight to their defence can only be described as

Much like the way the anti-Lyon brigade all of a sudden found Patrick Smith and Mike Sheahan worthwhile reading?

Lets face it MB, most posts on this subject are predicated by the posters bias.
Just to show that I try to call it as I see it: I personally have never ever found Patrick Smith worth reading. Walls is better in print than on TV, but is pretty variable. Mike Sheahan is a bit full of himself but is always worth reading: I can't understand why some posters on here have it in for him.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
midas_touch
Club Player

Completely agree with the article, which doesn't slam our club but accurately points out our weaknesses. And yes its only round 3, so we still have time to rectify our problems.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:Completely agree with the article, which doesn't slam our club but accurately points out our weaknesses. And yes its only round 3, so we still have time to rectify our problems.
walls is a bit of a mentor to our coach and perhaps they've already spoken about some of the issues.

it's one thing to identify problems. actually fixing them is another thing all together. i just hope we counterpunch hard this week.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:we have already tried milne in the midfield and it was terrible

and schnider wants to play in the guts and i think he will once he gets back to optimal fitness after an interrupted pre-season
Milne's biggest problem in the middle was his tackling. I've actually noticed this year his tackling looking stronger than I've ever seen it. Perhaps he's an old dog hat can learn new tricks, but Milne is looking the best he has since 2005 IMO.

Schneider was in the middle for consecutive centre bounces during the 4th quarter. I like him running off the wing for his creativity with the football, and I also expect as he gets fitter he's going to see more midfield time.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
markp
Saintsational Legend

Who are you referring to?... Defence of what? It's not exactly a glowing article is it... Are we now divided into those supporting RL and those who don't?

No one is suggesting Walls knows more about football than the likes of you, heaven forbid!... But even a broken clock is right occasionally eh?

Stop being such an absolutist, there's a whole season of progress and setbacks to come.

congorozides
Club Player

yeah. for the record. i hate walls. utter tool. spends most of his articles defending decisions to which he was party too. he adds nothing. hes stuck in the 70's. and by god is boring and humourless.

congorozides
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
congorozides wrote:
but ill take your word hes no good.
I actually think Milne had his best year when Thomas played him up the ground more.

It's just that plenty on here didn't, and were vocal about it. I was being a smart arse.
ok. i remember that final we lost to melbourne - where i thought he was our best and he played a lot of minutes in the middle.