BJ In, Raph Out

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Murray Pitts wrote:I have some pretty good mail that M. Gardiner wont play this week. Has a strained calf from midweek training. Raph will take his spot in the selected side with Kosi sharing ruck duties with King.
Again, forgive me for being skeptical of a poster with 3 posts and no previous record on inside words.

Kudos to you if it's true though.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

some comments:

I would hate to see BJ do a dew, i'd be happy for him to come off the bench and warm up to senior football, get 10 to 15 touches and contribute to a win.

Kosi has enough 'banked' credits, and given our structure last week, and kicking 19 goals it was all good. Kosi isn't in danger of being dropped, you can't get touches if you 1. play on the bench, 2. provide blocks and shepherds for your team mates, 3. shield your marking forward.

kosi did these things.

baker is probably competiting for a run with role with blake and birss, fiora is the other real wingman along with gram, despite where he is played. Fiora is probably competiting with gram and goddard, when fit, for that rebounding role.

reiwoldt has been top 5 for every year since his debut for contested marks, to say he isn't good at a contested mark is a complete joke, a few years he's been top 3. The reason he isn't top 1, is because unlike hall, fraser, and tredrea, reiwoldt can mark above his head, can get more than 6 inches above the ground and has remarkable pace, that standing his ground and going toe to toe with a defender is a waste of energy. If you've seen Reiwoldt he's a big strong brick shytehouse with lightning speed.

raphael I hope, will slot in with gram, goddard and fiora as a running half back, we've seen him do it a few times, with that lazy speed that mcadam and darren bourke, steven johnson and troy schwarz had/have, that seems like they are standing on the spot, till you notice all the players behind them. The problem is he doesn't employ it often enough.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsrus wrote:Welcome back BJ

Bad luck Raph, Gilbert lucky IMO
Would think it's a pure runs on the board decision between the 2; Gilbert had a great '07, Raph hasn't done anything to warrant putting the word "great" next to his name. On '08 for it was 50/50.

As long as he takes it in stride and plays hard for the Scorps, I'd suggest Gilbert's would be the spot he would be gunning for... if Goose doesn't get back and take that one away too.

Looking forward to seeing BJ's kicking back in the Saints side. IMO it will make a huge difference to our ability to flow the ball through to our forwards.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Id almost think Raphs omission was due to match ups, the dogs really dont have a player that he could match up on with his height. With Blake playing as a third tall down back at present that has them all covered.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Id almost think Raphs omission was due to match ups, the dogs really dont have a player that he could match up on with his height. With Blake playing as a third tall down back at present that has them all covered.
who knows that new poster suggested raph is coming in through an injury...

all will be revealed.

the Footscray midfield is very very good, I suspect we'll raise the ire of the BF rabble by wall blocking at CHB again :lol:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Id almost think Raphs omission was due to match ups, the dogs really dont have a player that he could match up on with his height. With Blake playing as a third tall down back at present that has them all covered.
Bulldogs forwards

Smalls
Johnson 182cm
Giansiracusa 182cm
Akermanis 177cm

Mediums
Welsh 187cm
Murphy 186cm
Hahn 188cm
Hill 186cm

Raph is a perfect match up for any of their medium forwards. That couldn't be a reason to drop him this week. Although, if Lyon is willing to play Leigh Fisher on Johnson (as he hinted in an intweview), and trust Blake as a permanent defender then we can still manage without Raph.

Johnson - L.Fisher
Giansiracusa - Geary
Akermanis - Gram
Welsh - Gilbert
Murphy - Hudghton
Hahn - Blake
Hill - S.Fisher

If they play Minson forward then we'll have no choice but to move Kosi into defence.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:If they play Minson forward then we'll have no choice but to move Kosi into defence.
what, and play into their hands? i'm sure they'd be delighted with that outcome. can't blake take him.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Max has done the job on Johnson before id say hed get first crack. Minson will be the second ruck. Blake on Hahn, Fisher to Welsh leave Gilbert to Murphy who is more nimble to get Murphy at ground level. L Fisher youd think would have a mid field tag.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:If they play Minson forward then we'll have no choice but to move Kosi into defence.
what, and play into their hands? i'm sure they'd be delighted with that outcome. can't blake take him.
Blake would already play as a permanent defender on Hahn/Murphy/Welsh.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Max has done the job on Johnson before id say hed get first crack. Minson will be the second ruck. Blake on Hahn, Fisher to Welsh leave Gilbert to Murphy who is more nimble to get Murphy at ground level. L Fisher youd think would have a mid field tag.
That leaves Josh Hill without an opponent who can spoil. In the past two weeks he has shown that he will hurt you if ignored. Without Raph we have to either play Hudghton on a taller player with Leigh Fisher on Johnson or play someone like X (can anyone else defend?) on Josh Hill an concede a fair bit of height.

The Bulldogs just have a lot of forward options who can take a mark, are good at ground level and can help out in the midfield as well. I expect to see plenty of flooding in defence to ensure that we don't give the likes of Aker and Johnson any space to work.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

How many do you want to play down back? Gram X and Goddard will more than likely spend time across half back. Hill has played across the middle as well so Fiora may be a chance.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:How many do you want to play down back? Gram X and Goddard will more than likely spend time across half back. Hill has played across the middle as well so Fiora may be a chance.
The guys matching up on the mentioned Bulldogs players aren't necessarily going to be stuck in the backline all day. A few of the mentioned Bulldogs players are mainly midfielders who play forward of the ball and are prepared to run inside 50 and be a scoring option (but the same goes for the majority of small/medium forwards these days).

I don't think Fiora would have the defensive side to his game to take Hill, but he is a similar size and could be an option.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Max plays his best football deep......and Johnno is the Dogs forward that I fear most.

So when Johnno is forward I would put Max on him.

Give L Fisher first crack at West.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Quixote
SS Life Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see L Fisher go to Cooney, leaving Blake free as a tall-back/utility.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Hudghton used to play on Welsh when he was at the Crows. That's who I'd expect him to line up on tonight if Leigh Fisher gets Johnson. I'd expect Sam Fisher to line up on Robert Murphy.

Johnson - L. Fisher
Welsh - Hudghton
Murphy - S. Fisher
Gia - Gilbert
Akermanis - Gram
Hill - Geary
Hahn/Minson - Blake

Yeah nah pleasing positive
JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Max plays his best football deep......and Johnno is the Dogs forward that I fear most.

I agree. Fisher has been successful with two hard tags on midfielders. Keep him in the same role. Johnson has too much pace for him. West is the ideal match up. Max, when fit, has always done a nice job on Johnson, mostly because of his closing speed.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Don't ever remember Nicky Winmar being dropped because of form. Behavious maybe, but not form. If Raph is as good as everyone keeps saying, he won't be out for long. We will see................

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Quixote
SS Life Member

JuanTheSydSainter wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Max plays his best football deep......and Johnno is the Dogs forward that I fear most.

I agree. Fisher has been successful with two hard tags on midfielders. Keep him in the same role. Johnson has too much pace for him. West is the ideal match up. Max, when fit, has always done a nice job on Johnson, mostly because of his closing speed.
West is out of form, possibly for good.

Cooney our biggest worry in the middle.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Hudghton used to play on Welsh when he was at the Crows. That's who I'd expect him to line up on tonight if Leigh Fisher gets Johnson. I'd expect Sam Fisher to line up on Robert Murphy.
And Welsh is one of the few players in the competition who has beaten Max in the last 4 years. I wouldn't be confident with that match up.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Hudghton used to play on Welsh when he was at the Crows. That's who I'd expect him to line up on tonight if Leigh Fisher gets Johnson. I'd expect Sam Fisher to line up on Robert Murphy.
And Welsh is one of the few players in the competition who has beaten Max in the last 4 years. I wouldn't be confident with that match up.
I'm trying to remember the last time the Saints and Crows played where both were in the lineup. IIRC, Last year Max was out when we met the Crows, Welsh missed most of '06, and Max missed the '05 QF... and my mind certainly fails me for matchups for Max during the '05 and '04 season for a lot of games. Not that I'm doubting you (quick look at the stats says Welsh kicked 5 against the Saints during the H&A in '05), I just can't remember, and Max's off nights normally stand out.

I'll remain confidant in Max until Welsh turns it on (and since he'll probably follow around S Fisher, that'll make life interesting), I'm interested in the Johnson-L. Fisher matchup/// he's got the experience down back, Johnson sjhouldn't be able to lose him pushing up the ground, but Johnson is one of the AFLs most dynamic talents and has the runs on the board and L Fisher doesn't.

IMO this game will com down to clearances (oh yeah, go out on a limb Bam, what fantastic insight!), but I'm pretty happy with how we stack up over the rest of the ground.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
maverick
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
I'm trying to remember the last time the Saints and Crows played where both were in the lineup. IIRC, Last year Max was out when we met the Crows, Welsh missed most of '06, and Max missed the '05 QF... and my mind certainly fails me for matchups for Max during the '05 and '04 season for a lot of games. Not that I'm doubting you (quick look at the stats says Welsh kicked 5 against the Saints during the H&A in '05), I just can't remember, and Max's off nights normally stand out.

I'll remain confidant in Max until Welsh turns it on (and since he'll probably follow around S Fisher, that'll make life interesting), I'm interested in the Johnson-L. Fisher matchup/// he's got the experience down back, Johnson sjhouldn't be able to lose him pushing up the ground, but Johnson is one of the AFLs most dynamic talents and has the runs on the board and L Fisher doesn't.

IMO this game will com down to clearances (oh yeah, go out on a limb Bam, what fantastic insight!), but I'm pretty happy with how we stack up over the rest of the ground.
Welsh kicked 5 on Max in 05, with some sublime ball movement from the Crows through the middle.....

Murray Pitts

Posted: Thu 03 Apr 2008 6:13pm
Murray Pitts wrote:I have some pretty good mail that M. Gardiner wont play this week. Has a strained calf from midweek training. Raph will take his spot in the selected side with Kosi sharing ruck duties with King.
Great pick Muzza. Your awesome.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

My choice for ins
ins for round four,

INS
Armo
Charlie gardiner,
Michael gardyner,
CJ
i would also give ferguson a shot in the seniors i actually like him

OUTS