What's wrong with Kosi ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Personally, I quite liked how he tore Darren Glass apart last year. There can be no doubts he can play FF.
People keep referring to this match. But he only kicked 4. Not exactly Coleman Medal material.
He was actually playing on Jaymie Graham ..

Didn't kick a goal on Glass in the second half.

Shaggy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:kosi is playing forward to stop riewoldt being monstered by two and sometimes three opponents and to break down our, at times, pathetic reliance on him.

kosi's ability to take contested marks (and to bring the ball to ground for milne, schneider etc) is just too important to a forward structure that (without him) netted the lowest score in the competion last year.

he just gives you a target that you can go long and direct to rather than dick around, chipping it sideways, waiting for an opportunity to hit fraser or riewoldt laces up on the lead ... all the while giving the opposition a chance to get numbers back.

forgive me for going on and on like a broken record on this topic, but i feel very strongly about this and believe that not having kosi forward would be just about the biggest mistake we could make.

kosi forward is just vital for us to have a shot at a premiership this year, imo.

for once the forward line last week actually kicked some goals last week (unlike most of 2007) and people are still finding reason to be critical with it.

imo kosi chf, gehrig ff, riewoldt licenced to create havoc anywhere in the front half.

give kosi the responsibilty of a key position rather than continue to ask him to fill in as a bit parts player.
So why not King or Gardiner playing same role?

They are both big monsters and take the big grab.

Kosi is obviously not a FF. Neither is King nor Gardiner. Coaches for whatever reason persevere in trying to make them into a FF. But they are all dangerous around the sticks so long as they are not permanents.

G-Train, Fev, Richo, Lloyd, Hall, Neitz etc have in common with Kosi, King and Gardiner is they take a top grab in a pack.

Where they are different is that they are deceptively fast off the blocks and they have super strength not merely to break a pack going for a marking contest but to bust through tackles. Kosi, King and Gardiner cannot do that.

2 years running Kosi is starting the year with a lack of confidence being played out of position.

IMO Kosi is better then Goodes who doesn’t go for hit outs either but also doesn’t play KPP forward. Kosi was one of the top 5 players in the AFL 2 years ago. I think he is better than Goodes but Goodes is better positioned (for the moment).

Kosi needs room to move and FF is the most stifling position on the football field.

For the criticizers of Kosi :- G-Train, Fev, Richo, Lloyd, Hall, Neitz would be hopeless as ruck men/ followers around the ground so **** Off.
Being played continually out of position is extremely hard.

If Kosi is played mid field he will kick 40+ Goals per year. But not as a FF (IMO).

I don't disagree with Big Carls theory. But I would rotate Kosi, MG and Kingy through the forward line. None of them of them are any good as a permanent forward but they are all very dangerous as part timers.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
I dont know, four by 22 would probably win the Coleman nowdays.

Actually, that's a pretty good point. 88 goals from Kosi for a season would be outstanding if you look at it that way - add in a couple of finals and 4 a week is a very good return really.
joffaboy wrote:
He also took apart the comp for a month in 2005 whe Reiwoldt again injured his shoulder so he can play up forward.
My recollection of 'that month' was that he actually played ruck drifting forward. Alot of his goals in that period were actually kicked when he drifted forward and had a ruckman still playing on him.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

roger, you have an ally on this one :P

notice fatpryk smith thinks our forward line is too tall and top heavy.

sh#t. we'll have to change it. not!
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 01 Apr 2008 9:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Personally, I quite liked how he tore Darren Glass apart last year. There can be no doubts he can play FF.
People keep referring to this match. But he only kicked 4. Not exactly Coleman Medal material.

no he was playing one out with hunter...glass ran with roo surprisingly...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

When Glass was shifted and Hunter went to Roo, Kosi didn't kick one.

Saints94
SS Life Member

He was going great until he had a little niggle in the pre-season

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:He was going great until he had a little niggle in the pre-season
Someone mentioned that he wasn't quite right on Saturday night. But if that was the case, surely Lyon wouldn't have put him in the ruck late in the game?

Saints94
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
homework wrote:He was going great until he had a little niggle in the pre-season
Someone mentioned that he wasn't quite right on Saturday night. But if that was the case, surely Lyon wouldn't have put him in the ruck late in the game?
When i got home i caught the last quater and rob walls said ross lyon might be tempted to chuck kozi in the ruck to get a few touches to make him self feel good

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

When Glass was shifted and Hunter went to Roo, Kosi didn't kick one.
kosi was injured much of the second half...from memory he had extended periods on the bench...so even on the park he would have been a decoy-dummy forward...that somehow took glass...

Saints94
SS Life Member

This injury curse has got to go :evil:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Kosi was one of the top 5 players in the AFL 2 years ago. I think he is better than Goodes but Goodes is better positioned (for the moment).
For the criticizers of Kosi :- G-Train, Fev, Richo, Lloyd, Hall, Neitz would be hopeless as ruck men/ followers around the ground so **** Off.
Being played continually out of position is extremely hard.

Jaysus Shaggy, this is exactly what I mean when I say that Kosi is over-rated. Top 5 in the comp???? He wasn't even on the park most of the time.
Goodes = dual Brownlow medalist
Kosi = occasional flashes of brilliance, but consistently inconsistent.

I'd swap Kosi for Goodes tomorrow if we could. No doubt in my mind.
And what does the around the ground capability of Richo, Hall, Fev, Lloyd etc. have to do with Kosi? Those guys are proven genuine forwards whereas Kosi is yet to himself as a FF or anywhere else.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:This injury curse has got to go :evil:
im talking about the wce game from last year

Saints94
SS Life Member

homework wrote:This injury curse has got to go :evil:
im talking about the wce game from last year
I know, but apparenty kozi isn't 100 %

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Kosi is fine Homey, wouldn't have been kept out on the ground if there was anything wrong. He's too important to risk further injury to.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Thank you.

Kosi's 1st half was a perfect example of a ruck/forward, and how to mess with matchups. He'd run around the ruck, get a mismatch, and push forward. If West Coast put a back on him, he'd drag them back to the middle of the ground.

It was awesome.

After half time, he played FF, and didn't kick another. However he was stuck there due to injury, so not too much should be read into that.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Thank you.

Kosi's 1st half was a perfect example of a ruck/forward, and how to mess with matchups. He'd run around the ruck, get a mismatch, and push forward. If West Coast put a back on him, he'd drag them back to the middle of the ground.

It was awesome.

After half time, he played FF, and didn't kick another. However he was stuck there due to injury, so not too much should be read into that.
It was actually Adam Hunter (my mistake) - who's an excellent defender anyway with a massive competitive streak.

Kosi chopped him, but we hardly got the ball forward in the second half because our midfield fell apart.

FWIW, on Saturday night, MMM reported he was getting worked on consistently at the breaks, and had 'extensive' strapping applied at quarter time.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.