Social Club..less noise after the game and more during it!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Social Club..less noise after the game and more during it!!

Made my first trip to the Victory Room for 08 last night..and I gotta say..was pretty dissapointed by the respect shown to our players by a percentage of those present

The first two players, Luke Miles and Khan Haretaku (sp?) struggled to be heard over the constant racket of people absolutely ignoring them. FOUR times Bruce Eva called for quiet so they could be heard, and four times he was pretty much ignored

Of course, when G Train and Kingy came on stage they got a huge reaction you could hear a pin drop during their interviews, which just made it all the more insulting for our young rookies, who obviously had nothiing interesting to say.

And...while we are on the subject of Social Club noise...would it hurt those of you who sit in the vicinity of the Cheer Squad to join in their chants from time to time?? One of the reasons why the opposition Cheer Squads often sound louder than ours is because those who have Level 1 seats around them get into the spirit of sitting next to the CS and make some noise. Our CS cops flak often for being quiet, but maybe one of the reasons is that noone around them is prepared to help them out! Its football people, leave your inhibitions at home!!!!

/rant 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Social Club..less noise after the game and more during i

saint66au wrote: And...while we are on the subject of Social Club noise...would it hurt those of you who sit in the vicinity of the Cheer Squad to join in their chants from time to time?? One of the reasons why the opposition Cheer Squads often sound louder than ours is because those who have Level 1 seats around them get into the spirit of sitting next to the CS and make some noise. Our CS cops flak often for being quiet, but maybe one of the reasons is that noone around them is prepared to help them out! Its football people, leave your inhibitions at home!!!!

/rant 8-)
Yeah, Hi. Me I'm that dude that sat up the back of the social club, in the adjacent aisle to the CS. You know, the one that didn't shut up all night? The one who tried to help the cheersquad out by chanting...

Yeah look. Social club was pretty disappointing. Credit to those few passionates who did their part by chanting and raising hell at the umpires..
But come on!! where were the rest of you?! the social club goes from aisle 19-24. If we can't make more noise than we did last night, god help us all. Cheearsquad do their best, but because of their members who are predominantly young girls, it really doesn't compete against the likes of the carlton and richmond cheersquads.

A bit more noise didn't hurt noone. Unless you were those squealing girls who sat behind me. I love Fraser Gehrig too.. but I don't feel the need to shriek at the top of my lungs when he take s mark. ;)

I feel like such an old man now.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

good point about our supporters noise level.

Considering we played some half decent footy for a reasonable chunk of the last 3 quarters, the crowd noise wasn't that much.

IMO the atypical Saints fan at a game is not hardcore at all - just there as a family event or for teenagers a social event prior to going out in the city(for night matches).

Opposition supporters nearly always seem more vocal than our lot.

Moorabbin Wing and CS excluded of course!

Re Ghengis and Miles not getting much respect - I guess they haven't played a game yet and until they do I'm not surprised that the beer is more interesting.....once/if they play a game things will be different.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
milney044
Club Player

I sit social club and it is pretty quiet. I'm normally seated pretty close to thejiggingsaint who always has a crack at getting the crowd involved, unfortunately no one else seems to want to join in. Often the cheer squad can be heard and i'll chant with them, but after 3 attempts at shouting "st kilda" with barely a clap in reply.. you give up after a while. seriously it would be appreciated if you all actually followed the jiggingsaints lead instead of just watching.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I think its the stkilda style personally, we are more worried about what could go wrong then what is going right. If people in the social club area spent as much time supporting the club as they do bagging certain players (insert names: raph, blake, geary etc.) it wouldbe noisy.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i was sitting at the social club level one next to the cheer squad,

and it was loud but we were quiet

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:I think its the stkilda style personally, we are more worried about what could go wrong then what is going right.
Spot on mate! It seems to be a sigh of relief after every goal

Before Im 85
noddy

We came over last week for the sydney game, sat in the social club area, we couldnt even hear the Cheersquad apart from the goal goal goal whooooo scream. The people sitting around us were sooooooooooooo quiet it was poor. I am a yeller at a game and even got some dirty looks from a "lady" in front of me for cheering my club on. We heard "supporters" behind us trying to bag out Aaron Fiora with the "Fiona" name. I would love to see some of these "supporters" get out and show us how good they are.

We went back to the victory bar after the game and were very dissapointed with the rude b astards that kept on talking when the players were trying to answer Bruces? questions.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pathetic
its not called an UNSOCIAL club.
and showing no respect when rookies are talking at a function after the game is down right disrespectful.
on the tv u could hear nothing.
once i heard an attempt by the cheer squad to get the rest of the crowd and the players into it.....after 4 or 5 chants it stopped as no one seemed to worry about joining in.
pathetic.
if my bro in law and myself can stand in an empty bay with god knows how many crows supporters beside us in the next stand, and we can both stand their clapping and chanting 'st kilda' not giving a f*** about anyone else then u social club members can do the same.
show some voice and spirit....the power of a big group/crowd chanting your teams name as u are playing is amazing and it can lift you when u are down or tired.
its the dogs on friday nite....hopefully all i hear on the tv is everyone joining in with the cheer squad chanting for our boyz.
if ya gonna sit there like 3 oclock half struck then stay at home

esaint66
SS Life Member

saintsrus wrote:
Solar wrote:I think its the stkilda style personally, we are more worried about what could go wrong then what is going right.
Spot on mate! It seems to be a sigh of relief after every goal

haha yeah i can only really enjoy the game once its over.
Unless where around 10 goals up and even then :? :lol:

I was sitting at the cheer squad end on the flank opposite the players race and we were very loud and supportive.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I dont cheer nowadays,i just watch and make an occasional comment to to the dude next to me or the up himself Saints dentist who sits in the next seat along......

Most people who yell and scream dont really know whats going on anyway and in their view there are no frees for the opposition and everytime one of their teams players go for a contested ball it should be their teams free...

I can't stand people who spend the whole game worrying about the umpires,i have learnt to ignore them,even when they are shite...

If you want to cheer,cheer ,but just remember there are those that get embarrased at your carry on.....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Made my first trip to the Victory Room for 08 last night..and I gotta say..was pretty dissapointed by the respect shown to our players by a percentage of those present

The first two players, Luke Miles and Khan Haretaku (sp?) struggled to be heard over the constant racket of people absolutely ignoring them. FOUR times Bruce Eva called for quiet so they could be heard, and four times he was pretty much ignored

Of course, when G Train and Kingy came on stage they got a huge reaction you could hear a pin drop during their interviews, which just made it all the more insulting for our young rookies, who obviously had nothiing interesting to say.

And...while we are on the subject of Social Club noise...would it hurt those of you who sit in the vicinity of the Cheer Squad to join in their chants from time to time?? One of the reasons why the opposition Cheer Squads often sound louder than ours is because those who have Level 1 seats around them get into the spirit of sitting next to the CS and make some noise. Our CS cops flak often for being quiet, but maybe one of the reasons is that noone around them is prepared to help them out! Its football people, leave your inhibitions at home!!!!

/rant 8-)
The idiots in the Social club victory room never shut the hell up...It's actually embarrassing when you can't actually hear what is being said via the microphone system.....

I always think the players walk away asking why the even bother.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I dont cheer nowadays,i just watch and make an occasional comment to to the dude next to me or the up himself Saints dentist who sits in the next seat along......

Most people who yell and scream dont really know whats going on anyway and in their view there are no frees for the opposition and everytime one of their teams players go for a contested ball it should be their teams free...

I can't stand people who spend the whole game worrying about the umpires,i have learnt to ignore them,even when they are shite...

If you want to cheer,cheer ,but just remember there are those that get embarrased at your carry on.....
you don't also call out "oh well done number 18" and golf clap?

Seriously, that is the most arrogant post I have read in a LONG time.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Living interstate we don't get to many games. But when ever we do, we get told off for making to much noise. Seriously, whats wrong with people, we are not at the movies :roll: As for the Victory room, thats a shocking way to treat players, I don't care who they are. People in Melb take footy culture for granted, they don't know how lucky they are.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
matrix
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I dont cheer nowadays,i just watch and make an occasional comment to to the dude next to me or the up himself Saints dentist who sits in the next seat along......

questions:
u get embarrassed when peeps stand up cheering?
so if the team was a few points down and it was a do or die game and a few guys and girls start chanting saint kilda trying to get everyone to do it to lift the team,and they were sitting near you, you would just sit there?..no cheering, no clapping?
most people that yell and scream DO have an idea whats going on, granted there is always some total dicks that have NO idea tho.
christ i hope i never sit next to u at a game.....
spose some peeps just dont like doing it.....but im afraid i cant just sit there and not cheer/chant for my side.

esaint66
SS Life Member

matrixcutter wrote:

questions:
u get embarrassed when peeps stand up cheering?
so if the team was a few points down and it was a do or die game and a few guys and girls start chanting saint kilda trying to get everyone to do it to lift the team,and they were sitting near you, you would just sit there?..no cheering, no clapping?
most people that yell and scream DO have an idea whats going on, granted there is always some total dicks that have NO idea tho.
christ i hope i never sit next to u at a game.....
spose some peeps just dont like doing it.....but im afraid i cant just sit there and not cheer/chant for my side.

Thats exactly right Matrixcutter.

Football is a game of passion.
I cheer at the good and make a couple of comments at the bad and bob murray you can not generalise and say that all people who stand up and cheer are uneducated football fans because many people say (i'm not one of them) say that fans like you are toffs/ a waste of space.

This isnt a personla attack on you but i wouldnt like to sit next to you at a game tiher because i need people who are going to cheer and make noise with me and help lift the team.

I understand you just go toi the game to watchit, but dont make silly genarl comments like that.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Boy oh boy if the Saints don't get your emotions going what would? It's a roller coaster ride better than any at Knotts Berry Farm.

Saintly_31
Club Player

Try sitting on level 2 in the social club area. The supporters up there dont even say boo. U just pretty much have to sit there & say nothing. When u do say sumthing they just stare & wringe about the noise. Use to sit near the cs & it was heaps beta at least u get can involved in the game.
Last edited by Saintly_31 on Mon 31 Mar 2008 11:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire's Squire #25

myspace: www.myspace.com/kirll
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I dont yell out too much at the footy, except to single out an opposition player (on Saturday night it was two, Betts, and Stevens) and bag them until an opposition supporter has a go at me (which didn't happen on Saturday night, I suppose the Carlton supporters are too stunned by 7 years of pathetic performances to defend their rabble - or they probably agree with me :D ).

I leave the yelling to the CS and the great unwashed hoards of bogans that infest the Morrabbin Wing :wink: (Apologies to all those unwashed bogans whom I drink with before the game :D ).

I bemoan our poor skills, our bad tactics, increasingly bizarre and frustrating gameplan, and the pathetic laws the umpires have to enforce, but I dont bag out our players and cant stand supporters who do.

In saying that there is a difference in critisising a player for a skill error or poor form and just outright bagging him just because they are who they are. This happens too regularily and as I have said in the past the loudest of the baggers are the ones who have never played the game, or any competitive contact game in thier lives.

I was never much good at football but I played both rugby's, soccer and two seasons of Aussie Rules until injury put me out of footy at 26 y.o. I know how hard football is to play, how much a hard tackle in rugby, a hard challenge in soccer or a H&S in Aussie Rules hurts, I know how you require courage to get back up and run the ball back up into the forwards or back inro a pack again after you have been hurt. This is what s.hites me about critics who dont know how hard it is and how good yo have to be to get to AFL level, and the courage required to put your head over the ball.

Cheer like crazy for your team, but think before you bag out a player and call them hopeless, I mean who are you people to judge the skill and effort of our players :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
HarveysDeciple

joffaboy wrote:.

In saying that there is a difference in critisising a player for a skill error or poor form and just outright bagging him just because they are who they are. This happens too regularily and as I have said in the past the loudest of the baggers are the ones who have never played the game, or any competitive contact game in thier lives.

I was never much good at football but I played both rugby's, soccer and two seasons of Aussie Rules until injury put me out of footy at 26 y.o. I know how hard football is to play, how much a hard tackle in rugby, a hard challenge in soccer or a H&S in Aussie Rules hurts, I know how you require courage to get back up and run the ball back up into the forwards or back inro a pack again after you have been hurt. This is what s.hites me about critics who dont know how hard it is and how good yo have to be to get to AFL level, and the courage required to put your head over the ball.

Cheer like crazy for your team, but think before you bag out a player and call them hopeless, I mean who are you people to judge the skill and effort of our players :roll:

spot on!

GrumpyOne

HarveysDeciple wrote:
joffaboy wrote:.

spot on!
Ditto.

Make the praise loud and the criticism silent.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

So, what did Khan and Luke have to say? I'm actually interested in that more than supporters being loud and quiet at the same time.

my les foote
Club Player

Strange time to interview two rookies.

People go there for a drink and to discuss the game. If you bring out two rookies who haven't played and may never play for the Saints, you're asking for trouble.

Win it for HIM!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Actually my theory on the lack of noise is linked to the banning of full strength beer.

And talking about atmosphere, remember when you could take bags of shredded yellow pages tot he footy and throw handfulls in the air when a goal was kicked or when an opposition full forward was shooting for goal.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Our CS cops flak often for being quiet, but maybe one of the reasons is that noone around them is prepared to help them out!
I think it's been well-documented why, s66au.

Things have been put to the Cheer Squad time and again about how they need to change, which chants they need to scrap, etc - but nothing gets changed.

Quite frankly, I've been known to start a few chants now and again. But after this lady told me to sit down during the '06 final against Melbourne (when we really did need some crowd support), I've realised football is pretty much a game for the passive supporter.

There are reasons for this. Again, they are pretty much non-PC, so it's not worth repeating them for the trouble they cause.

In a nutshell, the CS reps on here say they want feedback and for people to join in, but then get on their high horse quicker than Glen Boss.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.