The play on, advantage rule

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The play on, advantage rule

this is one of those little things that gets me.
if ya awarded a free kick and one of your own players picks the ball up from the deck, or keeps running with it, or basically just plays on...if he then finds himself in a NO advantage situation isnt that his tough s***?

the umpy calls play on advantage...then has another look and sees that the player might not have an advantage, blows the whistle again and makes em bring the ball back to the original position and take the free.......while everyone gets back into defense!!...where the hell is the advantage in that?

if u play on because the ump says play on advantage, thats your risk and tough if u get caught.....gawd that s***s me off :x

rant done...hmph!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:20am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Fair point A0K. But the thread still needs a general to count as relevant to the general forum.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

last time a thread was put in the other forum peeps had a spit saying it wasnt saints related, since then ive seen half a dozen more, yet no ones complained.

if there was an area that was just for footy that was non saints related i think it would be better.

GrumpyOne

Mods, footy thread please.

How can a bloke post inane drivel when he is interrupted by serious footy discussions all the time. :wink:

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

We are in the process of setting up a forum for other football discussion. In the meantime quite happy for these threads to be on this forum.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah grump so shut ya face :P

GrumpyOne

snoopygirl wrote:We are in the process of setting up a forum for other football discussion. In the meantime quite happy for these threads to be on this forum.
I can see no reason why Footy related posts can't be posted in a footy forum. Why do we need to set up another?

And as for you matrixetc.... , I am being tolerant of lesser species today....... I forgive you. :wink:

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Just trying to please as many as possible Grumpy. We have enough to cope with when Saints win games, let alone dare talk about another team. :wink:

GrumpyOne

snoopygirl wrote:Just trying to please as many as possible Grumpy. We have enough to cope with when Saints win games, let alone dare talk about another team. :wink:
OK Snoops, just living up to my nick. :wink:

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

And doing a fine job too. :lol: :wink:

GrumpyOne

snoopygirl wrote:And doing a fine job too. :lol: :wink:
Flattery will get you everywhere Snoops. 8-)

Superboot
SS Life Member

Back to the serious point raised in the original message.

The situation is even more ridiculous in rugby union. The ref awards a penalty, but allows play to continue while holding his arm in the air. The play can go on for another minute or so, but if the team with the ball doesn't score, or ends up in a no advantage position, the penalty is paid and the ball goes back to where it was originally awarded.

This ends up being a win-win situation for the team in possession.

I agree that in footy if a team plays on and then gets no advantage it should be tough luck. You make the decision to play on or go back and take the free and you live with the consequences.

The difference in footy, I guess, is that the umpire actually gives the free, blows the whistle etc, but then calls play on. In soccer and rugby the whistle hasn't blown, and the ref makes the decision to pay advantage. In footy the player with the ball is free to stop and go back for the free as soon as the whistle blows. The umpire, in deciding to play advantage, takes his cue from the player. In soccer and rugby, because the free hasn't been awarded, the team with the ball can't just stop and say, 'we'll take the free thanks'.

GrumpyOne

I have often thought it strange in footy that we expect a player to ignore the whistle and play on when they think they have an advantage, and inflict a 50 metre penalty on them if they get it wrong.

I think that the soccer system is best, where if the refereee notices a free kick, and the side earning it would be disadvantaged by bringing the ball back and taking the kick, the referee does not blow the whistle but yells "Advantage... Play On""

yipper
SS Life Member

I do believe that most play-on situations are generated by another teammate picking the ball up and scooting off. It's not always the bloke who wins the free playing on!! In those cases - where the other player gets into strife (he may just pick it up and run straight into a tacker) - it must be called back and the free kick taken by the original recipient. I do agree that where the bloke who wins the free then plays-on, and stuffs it up - well that's tough titties.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Superboot
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:I have often thought it strange in footy that we expect a player to ignore the whistle and play on when they think they have an advantage, and inflict a 50 metre penalty on them if they get it wrong.

I think that the soccer system is best, where if the refereee notices a free kick, and the side earning it would be disadvantaged by bringing the ball back and taking the kick, the referee does not blow the whistle but yells "Advantage... Play On""
I agree about the whistle issue, but in footy we are obsessed with the stats. We have to know how many frees have been given to each team. You don't hear that in soccer. We seem to need to know when a free has actually been awarded.

In soccer the ref will call play on quite frequently when some of the players and half the crowd think there should have been a free but the ref thinks there shouldn't. As a spectator you don't necessarily know whether he's paying advantage or just not paying the free, although most of the time he will indicate advantage by holding one arm out.