What's wrong with Kosi ??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
for the first time in a while our forward line looked reasonably potent and we had a good spread of goal-kickerst.
I can't agree with that BigCarl.

Our forward line, yet again, looked messy and disjointed. Impotent really.

nicko016
Club Player

I reckon he could be in for a big game next week. Tonight he got Thornton who is probably their best defender while next week Harris (Lake) will probably go to Gehrig because he matches up well with Frase and Hargrave to Riewodlt leaving Cameron Wight to Koschitzke. I'd bet on Koschitzke kicking a few more goals against Wight. Its ridiculous to be writing him off or suggest dropping him on the back of one dirty game. He's not suited to being a pure FF but this by no means, suggests that he can't still be a gun as a power forward. He just needs to have more freedom to roam.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Do you think Kosi would be happy to play out his career as a decoy forward?
tonight fraser was hot and kosi was the decoy. next week it might be kosi who is hot and fraser is the decoy. or roo is on fire ...

not all of your guns can fire every week and it is all about having many possible avenues to goal ... not just one or two like last year.

for the first time in a while our forward line looked reasonably potent and we had a good spread of goal-kickerst.

kosi might not have contributed much himself but at least his ability to take contested marks will encourage us to belt it in there quickly and that has to be a good thing
Stop making sense.

I'm one of the worst offenders when it comes to pointing out the shortcomings of our players, but I find it hard to go hard on Kosi a) knowing he was carrying an injury and b) knowing he was going to take their best, in-form defender.

Sometimes you have to take one for the team. He did that tonight, and yes, was also well-beaten. But he'll be back; he's too good a player to let this get in the way.

Plus we have sound ruckmen at the moment, they're going well and I'm not really convinced Kosi offers anything more in the ruck than they do.

Leave him up forward for now, and just show some faith in him. After all, Fraser hates the contested play, and he does at least provide a fantastic set of hands up forward. I can see it working in time, but if it doesn't, we'll move it around and try something else.

Six wins and zero losses suggests it's not the worst structure going around.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 29 Mar 2008 11:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
for the first time in a while our forward line looked reasonably potent and we had a good spread of goal-kickers.
I can't agree with that BigCarl.

Our forward line, yet again, looked messy and disjointed. Impotent really.
yet we kicked more than 100 points and beat carlton by 40. i'm not easily pleased either and i think we are a 10-goal better side than carlton.

but it is a step up from the six goals we managed against sydney last week with just the two talls.

look at the scoreboard is what i'm saying. and try to look at the big picture.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 29 Mar 2008 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Are we all forgetting Harvey's 350th yes kosi can play full forward now shut the f up

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
st.byron wrote:Easy for you to lazily drop in "if he can sort his kicking out". He's playing FF. It's not an option to have kicking that needs sorting out. We've already got a CHF who can't kick straight, now we've got a FF too.
I reckon Kosi is actually a really good set shot when his confidence is up. He really kicks through the ball well - obviously it's not coming to him at the moment.

I'm not too worried. He freed up other forwards to do well, and quite frankly, so long as our forward line is kicking 125+ scores and there's a tactical rationale, I'm not overly concerned.
Early days I agree, but don't share your confidence in his natural kicking ability. Agree with OWTS that Kosi was awful tonight. Everyone's entitled to a bad one. Roo was pretty ordinary too. Give it a few more weeks and see how our forward set-up is going.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Are we all forgetting Harvey's 350th yes kosi can play full forward now shut the f up
How many did he kick that day?

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Are we all forgetting Harvey's 350th yes kosi can play full forward now shut the f up

4 I THINK but he was the reason we got oer the line imo his 1st half was awesome that game

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

not entirely his fault, the whole forward set up and delivery inside 50 was pretty poor at times

tho Kosi's goal kicking is a big worry, at the moment he's worse than Roo ever was

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

not a surprise to me that with carlton so obsessed with stopping the 3 Divas that milne (4 goals), xavier (3 goals) and schneider (2) were able to sneak under the radar.

that's one of the benefits of having three big gun forwards.

we scare the s**t out of them on paper and it worries them all week to the point that they don't factor in guys they consider perhaps not as dangerous.

used to happen a lot during GT's good years. guys like guerra used to have a field day for a while because all the opposition resources were focussed on big guns like hamill, roo and fraser.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

4 I THINK but he was the reason we got oer the line imo his 1st half was awesome that game
he kicked 4 in the first half...no gehrig and glass went to roo...so do the math

i am somehow thinking he is best suited to a forward line where he is one of just two focal points

he is not young anymore...decisions have to be made...where does he play...he would kick 50/60 being the main ff with roo at chf...

i like him as a floating utlity ala dean cox...ideal scenario would be for him to get tagged by a top quality tall as he is very effecive around the ground as a linkman

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:Play like that again next week and he must be dropped.

Too much pressure from guys in the 2's to have anyone performing badly.

Was our worst by a mile tonight.
WTF?! Please, that is totally stupid. No way in hell he should be dropped, what you on? :shock: He had a bad night tonight, he is human. God.

my les foote
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
st.byron wrote: Easy for you to lazily drop in "if he can sort his kicking out". He's playing FF. It's not an option to have kicking that needs sorting out.
It's a bit like a great defender that just can't spoil.

Or a great midfielder than can't run.

Or a ruckman that can't get hitouts.

Kicking for goal is what forwards do. If they can't, then they aren't good forwards.
Greg Chappell - "I'm not batting badly, I just keep getting out"

Seriously, I just thought Kosi had a quiet night tonight. Last week a little bit better kicking and some decent umpiring and he could have got 4 or five.

When you have three tall forwards you are not going to get every ball delivered to you.

Coming into games against the Bulldogs and Cats, I'd rather see Kosi there than Charlie Gardiner or Jaryd Allen.

Win it for HIM!
carn_sainter
Club Player

Kosi just ain't that good...

He is reputed as one of the best forwards in the league but he is still DAYLIGHT behind Riewoldt

He is an almost...he gets in good position then almost takes the mark...he works hard at ground level but fumbles, he almost gets the hands off...his ability to lead is alright if he has space but poor when he has to find it...

To be honest, i reckon he's been reading his own press and now believes he can outmark anybody standing one-on-one without having to lead...

He does not present, he wants to take contested marks all day long...that will gibe him about 5 marks a game, ie: not enough of the ball

and the less said about his kicking, especially for goal but also in general, the better...

Look, he's a decent player, a real monster who can move well, has good hands and is brave...but he just ain't that good...

He is no superstar

He is seriously lacking polish

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

he's a good forward but we were too heavy and there was no real slot for him with that rotation.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Kozi is not as good as he was a few years back. There's no room for Kozi, Roo and the Train in the forward line..I think he should be played mainly aound the back line where he can take grabs in front of the packs, as up in the forward line his kicking for goal is woeful.

Lennon
Club Player

carn_sainter wrote:Kosi just ain't that good...

He is reputed as one of the best forwards in the league but he is still DAYLIGHT behind Riewoldt

He is an almost...he gets in good position then almost takes the mark...he works hard at ground level but fumbles, he almost gets the hands off...his ability to lead is alright if he has space but poor when he has to find it...

To be honest, i reckon he's been reading his own press and now believes he can outmark anybody standing one-on-one without having to lead...

He does not present, he wants to take contested marks all day long...that will gibe him about 5 marks a game, ie: not enough of the ball

and the less said about his kicking, especially for goal but also in general, the better...

Look, he's a decent player, a real monster who can move well, has good hands and is brave...but he just ain't that good...

He is no superstar

He is seriously lacking polish
Would agree with all of that.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

so now that the mg bashing has ceased (for now)....

does this mean we all dislike kosi and think he is useless???

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'll start this by saying I love Kosi and believe we are lucky to have him at St Kilda...

My concern is that Kosi seemed to have an interrupted pre-season and has not come into this season as fit as he'd like to be. He seems to be blowing a bit which I find strange for a bloke playing FF who just last season ran all match in the ruck.

I'd like to see him trim down a little, lift his aerobic capacity and start running the key backs around. Let's face it the way we play we don't kick long into the forward line where bulk is a necessity, besides I'm not sure Kosi uses his body that well, he's a lot more dangerous floating across a pack.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

how much do you think the dogs would give us for him???

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:so now that the mg bashing has ceased (for now)....

no i think hes an awesome player.

he is a goal kicking forward who can play in the ruck.

one quiet game and folks are writing him off :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:how much do you think the dogs would give us for him???
are we trading him off now?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:so now that the mg bashing has ceased (for now)....

no i think hes an awesome player.

he is a goal kicking forward who can play in the ruck.

one quiet game and folks are writing him off :roll:
oh we finally agree....

widereceiver
Club Player

Unbelievable cannibals!

Like a pack of Richmond fans eating their own.

I don't believe we can win a premiership without a fit and firing Kosi. If we lose to some better teams in the next month, it won't be because of a forward having a quiet couple of nights.

Look at the midfield if you must, MUST bag our own players.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:how much do you think the dogs would give us for him???
are we trading him off now?
theoretically....if we win the gf (obvious big if)

kosi looks so much better playing forward...he becomes disgrutled at not playing there and being used in this floaty position where at times he doesnt quite know what to do.....

and gehrig doesnt retire

see what is offered to him....maybe (i personally dont want this however if g was a few years youngers it might be an option)

again i dont want to see this at all...