is ratten serious.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

is ratten serious.....

Ratten challenges his defence
Article from: Herald Sun

March 28, 2008 12:00am

CARLTON coach Brett Ratten wants his rookie defence to turn the challenge of holding St Kilda's big three forwards into a strength in tomorrow night's clash at Telstra Dome.
Ratten backed young fullback Michael Jamison to play against one of Fraser Gehrig, Nick Riewoldt or Justin Koschitzke, despite struggling against Richmond star Matthew Richardson in the opening round.

But he said Carlton needed to turn defence into attack against the Saints.

"Do you play (Jamison) on Nick Riewoldt or do you play him a bit closer to goal on Fraser or even Kosi?'' Ratten said.

"And can you run off these bigger type players? That's the other thing.

"You get three big forwards that stay pretty much at home, can you hurt them the other way? That's the debate.''

Ratten said while Richardson kicked a match-winning five-goal haul last week, it was not completely Jamison's fault, as other defenders should have helped him more.

He said defensive pressure from the midfield was also crucial.

"It's more sometimes the supply and how the ball gets down there that might help our backs,'' he said.

Ratten welcomed the added depth up forward provided by the return of Brad Fisher from a thumb injury and was hopeful that was an area the Blues might hurt the Saints.

He said young ruckman Shaun Hampson's return from injury, to provide back-up for Cameron Cloke in the ruck, would also be important. "

does he know that little about the leagues premium players........does he really regard roo as a stay at home forward....or fraser......or kossi.......does he know sfa about st kilda.....or the game itself.......if it was roos, he would be saying he was misquoted and it was all archie's fault............... :wink: :wink: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by stinger on Fri 28 Mar 2008 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Huzzad
Club Player

I guess when your only choice is to play players like him on our 3 talls, he has no choice but to back his player and try and give him confidence, and good on him for doing so. No point sending a young kid into the game, expecting him to be slaughtered, that would be detrimental to his confidence. While no doubt Ratten is simply talking him up and probably expects average results, he has no choice but to play the kid so he might as well give him some confidence which will have better results than letting him and media know that the coach has no confidence in his player.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i would have thought he was better off just shutting tfu

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Is Jump Early playing for the Blues this week?

Ratten could throw him to full back on Kosi ...

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i would have thought he was better off just shutting tfu
my thoughts as well...strange that he made a "challenge" public

owts - i believe ackland has a shoulder injury, therefor not playing

Persuader
Club Player

Like a drowning man clutching a straw.

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
Huzzad
Club Player

stinger wrote:i would have thought he was better off just shutting tfu
Perhaps, but I suspect it was part of a bigger media campaign. Coaches are well aware of what they say often ends up in the papers, and judging by the article, it was not a slip of the tongue. There is obviously a motive behind it, and as I said, it is probably just an attempt to give his malnourished defense a confidence lift going into the game. Unfortunatly, anyone who is not a Carlton fan has probably read that article and had a hearty laugh to themselves, but good on Ratten. I'd expect Lyon to do the same if, heavin forbid, we were in the same situation and had to play defenders like him.

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

whoever the poor kid gets he is going straight to the square...

he is in for a tough night however if he can do ok there well...kudos...it is a massive job and a big test of character

some of us are getting way to ahead of ourselves

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Huzzad
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:whoever the poor kid gets he is going straight to the square...

he is in for a tough night however if he can do ok there well...kudos...it is a massive job and a big test of character

Yeah, I'm a sure our home game against the blues last year was telling, they really fired back and could have won the game, but kudos to the Saints for lifting and coming away with the ten point (?) win. The blues are not a good side, but they can throw some surprises, and give them confidence and they can achieve alot. We need to kick goals early and not take the foot off the accelerator like we did with the swans. I expect a nice old thumping, but the Blues have shown in the past they can surprise when given some run.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:whoever the poor kid gets he is going straight to the square...

Yeah, I'm a sure our home game against the blues last year was telling, they really fired back and could have won the game, but kudos to the Saints for lifting and coming away with the ten point (?) win. The blues are not a good side, but they can throw some surprises, and give them confidence and they can achieve alot. We need to kick goals early and not take the foot off the accelerator like we did with the swans. I expect a nice old thumping, but the Blues have shown in the past they can surprise when given some run.
disagree with the running game of the blues...i dont see where it comes from...no pace in the midfield...carazzo???murphy???gibbs??? hardly too quick

apart from judd who quite frankly scares me

and we didnt take the foot off the accelerator either in the swans game...the swans tightened up and we had to adapt...we had the extra few goals and in the end that was the difference

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

A master coach in the making....

JeffDunne

Re: is ratten serious.....

stinger wrote:"You get three big forwards that stay pretty much at home, can you hurt them the other way? That's the debate.''
I take it this fool has never seen Roo play before? :roll:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
stinger wrote:"You get three big forwards that stay pretty much at home, can you hurt them the other way? That's the debate.''
or kosi...and g gives a good chase so its not as if the three of them give up once the ball is turned over...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:

my point exactly.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:[

Yeah, I'm a sure our home game against the blues last year was telling, they really fired back and could have won the game,.

it was rat -faces first game as coach...you would have expected the scummers to lift.....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Huzzad wrote:[

Yeah, I'm a sure our home game against the blues last year was telling, they really fired back and could have won the game,.

it was rat -faces first game as coach...you would have expected the scummers to lift.....
They did, and he said to the boys "Tanks for very much for your efforts today, I Judd really appreciate it!"

Anyway, the scumbags lost and the streak is now 9 in a row, let's make it 15!

A loss tomorrow is NOT an option.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Our boys just better think premiership and bloody play like they want one, and that means clobbering lowly teams. I want to start seeing some of the reputations and potential of a few of our guys start to turn into actual performance -then I'll know we are on the right path.

Batnoe

surly he cant be tanking already

it is only round 2 Brett

Behind Play
Club Player

From what I saw last week of Carlton, I really don't believe, Rattan is there for a long time.
Once again the Carlton boy's club made the decision on his appointment.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Is Jump Early playing for the Blues this week?

Ratten could throw him to full back on Kosi ...

Thats a stupid idea.

May as well just put Fevola to fullback on Gehrig... :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

brett ratten wrote:"And can you run off these bigger type players? That's the other thing. You get three big forwards that stay pretty much at home, can you hurt them the other way?''
sounds like a bit of whistling in the dark to me. let 'em run off our big guys. guess who is going to get hurt when it rebounds back in.

having said that, we had better manage more than six goals this week,

bungiton
SS Life Member

on the radio noos over here in the west, Ratten was still toying with the idea of playing Judd on Reiwoldt.

I kid ya not

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:on the radio noos over here in the west, Ratten was still toying with the idea of playing Judd on Reiwoldt.
i'd like to see that.

i reckon roo would smash him in the air. judd might have to resort to a bit of tunnelling.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:on the radio noos over here in the west, Ratten was still toying with the idea of playing Judd on Reiwoldt.

I kid ya not
i like that idea,

Huzzad
Club Player

IF Jdd played on Riewoldt, Roo could just sit at FF and keep Judd off the ball, and let Fraser and Kosi play around half forward. Judd gets little to no touches and has no influence. If Roo stays at CHF, he will run a 70% fit Judd into the ground by the first quater. Still, its a matchup I'd love to see just for a laugh.