brilliant post on BF

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

brilliant post on BF

from our own bungi no less.

i put this at the start of the thread to see that it is clearly premediated, there was NO attempt to go for the ball.

also the words:

For those claiming it's Riewoldt's marking style that is putting him danger, note Riewoldt is vertical until Bolton catches him behind the right knee with his right elbow

for those who think its an accident or part of the game, what coach will ask a forward to get airborne for a mark?

clearly 1 man was going for hte ball and one wasn't.

some say what chance did bolton have? how phuckingstupid do you have to be? sorry reiwoldt would like to apologise for 1. playing the ball, 2 being tall, 3. being athletic.

st kilda will now sack anyone with a vertical leap above 2 cm, so loser hack snipers like bolton can have a fair chance at the ball.

phuckiing retards shyteforbrains donkeys.

honestly I do hope a sydney player gets cleaned up on the weekend, hard.
Last edited by Dan Warna on Wed 26 Mar 2008 10:32am, edited 1 time in total.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Good work Dan and Bungi...the prosecution rests its case :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
bungiton
SS Life Member

intersestingly too that Bolton trailed roo on the lead and the cut under and to the right of him in the contest?

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

bolton jumped really high then to try and knock the ball away.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

nothing will be done till we have a broken collarbone or worse.

I hope that if it does come to this, its a sydney player who cops it.

SHUT UP KRIME!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Richo calls for 'tunnelling' ban

Len Johnson and Richard Hinds | March 26, 2008

RICHMOND forward Matthew Richardson said yesterday the AFL should act decisively to prevent any use of the controversial tactic of "tunnelling" in marking contests.

"Tunnelling" involves taking a player's body under the ball while he is in the air, and carries the risk of the target landing heavily while unprotected.

Richardson said the player going for a mark should not be subjected to unfair interference. Being thrown off balance while in the air could lead to a high risk of serious injury, he said.

"Once you're in the air and your feet are off the ground, if you get taken off balance, you've got no control how you land," Richardson said. "So it's not something you'd want to happen. You'd get blokes landing and doing their knees. Once a guy is in the air and going for a mark, if he's pushed, it gets dangerous."

Richardson, who is in his 16th AFL season, said he had no personal concerns as he felt the tactic had only ever been used against him once or twice over that time. But he had seen it used in ruck contests.

The tactic has come under the spotlight after St Kilda alleged it was used against Nick Riewoldt in last Saturday night's game against Sydney. They say the tactic was used against Riewoldt on occasions last year as well.

The Saints are putting together a case to take to the AFL umpiring department later this week.

The umpiring department has admitted that free kicks could have been paid to Riewoldt against his immediate opponent, Craig Bolton, in two incidents in the second half of the game.

In both of them, Bolton used his body to nudge Riewoldt under the ball, causing the Saint to land heavily. In one case, Riewoldt's head appeared to contact with the ground.

But Bolton insists he has never practised or been instructed to use the tactic, which was banned in basketball. "No, definitely not," said Bolton when asked if the Sydney defenders had worked on pushing into their opponents as they marked, something Saints' chief executive Archie Fraser claims had endangered Riewoldt.

"Sometimes you back into a contest and it happens (an opponent will flip over) but if the insinuation is that you are trying to do that or hurt him, then no way," Bolton said.

Bolton was adamant there was nothing premeditated about any contests in which Riewoldt fell awkwardly last Saturday night. "The first thing I really knew about it (St Kilda's complaint) was by reading about it, so it's a bit hard to really say what the problem is," he said. "But, if it happened more than once, then it was a coincidence."

Swans coach Paul Roos was equally nonplussed by the accusation. "I played a lot of basketball as a kid and, to be quite honest, I've never heard of tunnelling," he said. "I must admit I would like some clarification from the St Kilda footy club because if they are saying that anyone would go out to deliberately hurt someone, then, that's a big call."

Roos is a close friend of St Kilda coach Ross Lyon, a former Swans assistant, and worked for Fraser during his playing days with Fitzroy selling office equipment. "I don't know if Archie is dirty on me because I didn't sell enough photocopiers but, at some stage, I'll have a word to Ross about it," Roos said.

Roos and Bolton yesterday reviewed the incidents during their regular post-match analysis. Roos said that on one occasion, the ball had been kicked over Riewoldt's head, Bolton judged the flight better, spun in the air attempting to go backwards and put a hand on the St Kilda forward to steady himself.

"Craig pushes him in the hip but it's only to keep his balance, not to push over Nick," he said.

Roos was hopeful any review would not put more pressure on his relatively short key defenders. "Hopefully, St Kilda are just looking for some sort of clarification about the rule. We might have to get the same thing and we can all move on."

St Kilda's communications manager Matt Schmidt said yesterday the football department was putting together a package from the game that it would present to the AFL umpiring department.

Schmidt said the club had not been unduly concerned for Riewoldt's safety during the game but it believed "the tactics are dangerous".

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the league was already aware of the tactic as it applied to ruck contests. There were examples provided in the DVD sent by the umpiring department to clubs clarifying aspects of the rules of the game.

He said the umpiring department had already reviewed the St Kilda-Sydney game and "it was their view that the officiating umpires should have paid one, and maybe two, free kicks" to Riewoldt.

Interference with a player going for a mark, or with a ruckman with eyes for the ball in a ruck contest, should result in a free kick, Keane said, "because the player in the air is vulnerable".

The incidents were judged as "a missed free kick", he said, nothing more, nothing less.

Keane said the AFL had not received any complaints from other clubs about the tactic, but the league was concerned about anything that "can potentially cause injury".

■The Saints announced new contracts for midfielders Lenny Hayes and Leigh Montagna yesterday.

The Saints were rapt to secure vice-captain and prime mover Hayes until the end of 2011 and the much-improved Montagna until the end of 2010.

The deals secured the group drafted from 1998-2001 in a bid to steer the club to its second premiership.

The other members are captain Nick Riewoldt, Justin Koschitzke, Nick Dal Santo, Luke Ball and Matt Maguire.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ctqs
Club Player

It's a massive no-no in basketball. In fact, I'm not sure if you remember but it started a blue in a pre-Olympics warm-up match between the Dream Team and the Boomers in the US in 1996. Charles Barkley kept taking Shane Heal's legs out from underneath him. Heal, never one to take a backward step, turned around and called the oaf an MFCS (expletive ammended). When Barkley asked him what he said, Heal repeated it. The benches were cleared within seconds.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
bungiton
SS Life Member

Oh well I got an infraction lol

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Sam23
SS Life Member

Talking to a herald sun guy today and he said they only looked at it first time after it was posted on Saintsational.

Goddard.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:Talking to a herald sun guy today and he said they only looked at it first time after it was posted on Saintsational.
owned!

I'm surprised the Little Paper is so knowledgeable!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

bungiton wrote:Oh well I got an infraction lol
yeah Mad Dog is watching folks skirting close to the edge.

I've managed to avoid an infraction...this time, but i've put a bit of effort into referencing stuff.

your post is the definitive one IMO hence its inclusion for a thread of its own, with the diagram and video sequence the key.

IMO if this costs sydney a few games, because their dirty tactics are exposed good.

sadly the AFL wont do anything until a player is injured, if such a thing is to happen then if there was justice it should be a sydney player.

then watch the squeeling as they explain how what injured their player was different to what bolton did. :roll:

once folks see the video they'd see it for the dog act it was.

SHUT UP KRIME!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I was playing bball a few years back when a teammate slipped and took out a blokes legs who was going for a lay-up, the dude landed on his head and began convulsing and spasaming.

With the height Roo jumps.....that same outcome is very possible.

Bolton knew what he was doing, he was outmatched and outclassed so he resorted to dirty scum tactics.

Can't wait till we play them next time.....boooooooooooossss all round.

ttufc7
Club Player

I don't care whether you follow St.Kilda, Sydney or any of the other 14 teams in the competition. How can anyone see that footage and still manage to mount a defence for Bolton.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

"Swans coach Paul Roos was equally nonplussed by the accusation. "I played a lot of basketball as a kid and, to be quite honest, I've never heard of tunnelling," he said."

He's got to be kidding, I've never played basketball and I've heard it often. Tooter!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote: "Sometimes you back into a contest and it happens (an opponent will flip over) but if the insinuation is that you are trying to do that or hurt him, then no way," Bolton said.
Is it just me, or are some people missing the point. If someone takes your legs out from in front of you, your can put your arms out, prepare for the impact a little bit, and break your fall.

If your legs are taken out from behind, the only thing breaking your fall is your head or your neck.

I saw a BF post yesterday comparing Roo and Bolton to Nathan Carroll and Buddy in Sunday's game. Carroll tried to block Franklin's run at the ball by jumping into the space in front of him, and in turn became a step ladder.

Totally different situations, and only one of these is gonna end up with someone becoming a quadraplegic.

ttufc7
Club Player

The way i see it is if a player involved it a contest makes no attempt at the ball and instead focusses on the body of his opponent it is a free kick as simple as that.

To me it is no different (Rules wise) than a push in the back or a player making deliberate front on contact with a player trying to take a mark without any intention to spoil

crowjelly
Club Player

Tunneling by the Swans on Roo is an extension of what was happening to him most of last year.

Often on the hard lead the backmen would jump with Roo body on body and force him under the ball and miss the mark. My thinking at the time was that he was misjudging the leap - but now that Archer and Wakelin have fessed up to it as a tactic, it now makes a lot more sense.
The Swans however have gone too far by taking his legs out and flipping him over.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Not to mention he very nearly pulled off a corker of a mark over that snivelling peice of crap!

Saint Mik
Club Player

Looks like a set play to me, banger coming in to pounce on the ball :wink:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
ace
Saintsational Legend

Bolton is a rat and Roos is the king rat.

Lying rodents.

This was a planned tactic carried out by coach and captain.

These vermin should be spared no embarrassment.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
stinger wrote: "Sometimes you back into a contest and it happens (an opponent will flip over) but if the insinuation is that you are trying to do that or hurt him, then no way," Bolton said.
Is it just me, or are some people missing the point. If someone takes your legs out from in front of you, your can put your arms out, prepare for the impact a little bit, and break your fall.

If your legs are taken out from behind, the only thing breaking your fall is your head or your neck.

I saw a BF post yesterday comparing Roo and Bolton to Nathan Carroll and Buddy in Sunday's game. Carroll tried to block Franklin's run at the ball by jumping into the space in front of him, and in turn became a step ladder.

Totally different situations, and only one of these is gonna end up with someone becoming a quadraplegic.
exactly

SHUT UP KRIME!