Paul Roos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Paul Roos

what a piece of shyte.

trading on his reputation as a good guy on the tunnelling issue?

when will they wake up to the fact he's just another bloke.

how long can he trade on his good guy rep? he used it on the tanking issue, he used it on the barry hall issue, he used on the stafford issue, and now he's using it LRT.

wake up and smell the roses.

paul roos' schmidt doesn't smell of roses.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

All the emotive words like "insulting" and "shocked" he is throwing around make you see he is a master manipulator. He almost made me believe it wasn't a big issue. :x

bozza1980
Club Player

Archie was pretty careful to mention that he didn't believe it was a tactic however just something that happened that was dangerous.

As for the swans crying foul over the accusation, well, I've always felt that it is strong indicator of guilt when someone denies an allegation that hasn't been made.

bungiton
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:Archie was pretty careful to mention that he didn't believe it was a tactic however just something that happened that was dangerous.

As for the swans crying foul over the accusation, well, I've always felt that it is strong indicator of guilt when someone denies an allegation that hasn't been made.
The gif image of Bolton i posted in the tunneling thread points to a deliberate effort for mine, you even see him lift his arm to ensure he tips him back.
For more than one player to have done it points to a practised ploy

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Got to say I've read the comments from Bolton and Roos wondering how stupid they think people are, or they're banking on the fact people haven't actually seen the incidents.

Insinuate it was a deliberate tactic? After seeing it happen that many times from two sources, no need to insinuate or imply, straight up and down: it was deliberate. It's a dirty, dangerous tactic. If they're offended by that, then that's just plain tough... though not the point, as based on Saturday night it's a way to even up the contest between a workhorse (Bolton) and a racehorse (Reiwoldt).

I suspect 2 things based on the publicity.
1) The media will pay more attention to Bolton's tactics on tall, fast forwards.
2) Other teams will do this more against tall fast forwards until/unless teh AFL steps up and does something, because quite simply: it's very effective.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

sure, sure Im the father of the child, but its not like it was deliberate, i just fell over and it just slipped in, to insinuate that I deliberately had sex is really insulting to me and the other mother of the child.

Honestly, we have the IVF program, its iinsulting to think that we might have had sex deliberately.

WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE DO YOU TAKE US FOR?!

my shyte smells of roses and I piss lemonade.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

For Roo's to insinuate that he was not familar with the tunnelling term is laughable...he has a basketball background and it equates to him not knowing what travel is :roll:

Archie and the saints have approached this in exactly the right way...having been brought to the attention of the media & AFL the organisation will now have a duty of care to prptect players from the potential injuries this dangerous practice cpould cause...

A serious injury after this has been the subject of a formal complaint would put the AFL in a very bad postion legally...

for this reason you will see" Tunnelling "umpired out of the game probably from this week...

Meantime mr nice guy Paul Roo's nose continues to grow :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Wed 26 Mar 2008 9:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

At least it's been brought to attention. Can't see Sydney or other sides using the same tactic again now even if the AFL does nothing formal about it.

Anything resembling tunneling this weekend will be looked at very closely by the media.

But if it does continue and other sides copy the tactic the AFL will act on this one. If they are concerned about hands in the back and chopping the arms, then they will also want to outlaw tunneling.

Assertions made that if the player in front jumps too early then it's their own problem are just crap. You can perfectly time your jump and still have someone take your legs out.........

It's akin to saying "well you should have led faster because then your defender wouldn't have been close enough to chop your arms"?

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote: it equates to him not knowing what travel is :roll:
Is he applying for a job at Collingwood? :wink: :lol:

JeffDunne

Goorjian's Kings tough as nails
By Paul Roos

March 14, 2008

I THINK Sydney should stand up and applaud what Brian Goorjian has been able to do with the Kings this season.

It's been one of the top sporting achievement this country has seen, especially when you factor in everything the team has gone through.

As a player I went through a similar situation at Fitzroy when the future of the club was uncertain.

We went through that many times at Fitzroy not knowing when you are going to get paid and the speculation where all the players are going to be the next season.

That's enormously distracting so for Brian and his players to be able to block out all that other stuff and be able to focus properly on the championship series is a real credit to them.

Especially against an enormously-talented team like the Melbourne Tigers, it is an unbelievable achievement.

I'd urge everyone to get to tonight's decider at the Sydney Entertainment Centre so they can really appreciate just how good this series has been.

Unfortunately I can't be at there because it's the Swans last weekend off before the season so I'm taking the family away, but I will be glued to Fox Sports for the game.

I watch a lot of NBA hoops on TV but I have been marvelling at the standard of basketball in this series between the Kings and Tigers. It's been absolutely riveting.

One of my boys, Tyler, asked me if I could organise a courtside box at the Kings during the playoffs for his 12th birthday.

Tami and I took six kids and all of us were blown away by just how good the Kings are.

I have an enormous amount of respect for the Tigers and their coach Alan Westover and the way they also go about their basketball.

But from a Sydney perspective it would be great, not only for ther Kings but also for hoops in this city, if the Kings can pull off one more remarkable performance to clinch the championship tonight after such a tough, daunting season.

I just hope the Kings' efforts don't go to waste in terms of people genuinely appreciating the sporting show these two teams have put on.

It's a shame this series is not on free-to-air television because I believe even die-hard footy fans would be captivated by this Kings team.

The determination by the Sydney players to fight through any adversity is amazing.

At the Swans we've been happy to help out where we can with Kings skipper Jason Smith and his shoulder injury and Dontaye Draper with his hamstring.

Dontaye's match turning game four display in the fourth quarter in Melbourne was phenomenal.

It's very rare that you get two teams at the top of their games playing at 100 per cent intensity over four consecutive games but that's why we've had such a great series.

That doesn't happen very often in sport during the finals.

Just look at the AFL grand final last year between Port Adelaide and Geelong. It was in no way as enthralling as the NBL championship series.

From a coaching perspective the way that the Kings play reminds me of the Bloods culture we have at the Swans.

I think any football code can learn a lot from the way Goorjian prepares his team defensively and instills in his players that unwavering self-belief in their game-plan and system.

My boys are into playing basketball now and I'm constantly talking to them about their defence and highlighting to them the Kings' amazing attitude to defence.

It has allowed Sydney to play undersized against a monster side like Melbourne, who have former NBA centre Chris Anstey giving them a genuine seven-foot target inside.

Sydney are able to compete with the Tigers through tenacity, and Brian's defensive strategy is an absolute pleasure to watch.

Paul is a liar.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Goorjian's Kings tough as nails
By Paul Roos

March 14, 2008

My boys are into playing basketball now and I'm constantly talking to them about their defence and highlighting to them the Kings' amazing attitude to defence.

It has allowed Sydney to play undersized against a monster side like Melbourne, who have former NBA centre Chris Anstey giving them a genuine seven-foot target inside.

Sydney are able to compete with the Tigers through tenacity, and Brian's defensive strategy is an absolute pleasure to watch.

Paul is a liar.

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
asiu

roo's son and my son went to the same primary school

as sydney were preparing for the grandfinal / getting hall off his charge ....our school had a concert put on by the kids on the tuesday (?) night

roos was out the back of the auditorium, on the phone ....taking advice , formulating and giving his blessing to bbbb's defence being that ' it was in play '

i know..... because i also was out the back of the auditorium (sneaking in a cigarette , and doing some st kilda fc espionage)

rang a 'certain poster' on here at about 9.00 pm from the concert and told him how they were going to get hall off

roos is as cunning as a sh!thouse rat

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

my p1ss is not just of lemonade, but cristal champagne, how dare you imply that my p1ss is common p1ss.

I have a reputation!

SHUT UP KRIME!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

The AFL are a joke when to comes to these serious matters... They are very quick to lay down the law and express their disappointment when other clubs, or individual players, fall out of line, yet when it is their rules and system that is faulty, they all have their collective heaps up Dimwits ar$e...

His dilusional comment over tanking indicates that the guy and his cohorts cannot take criticism, and think that we are all mindless followers who 'ohh and ahh' at the game..

Tunnelling exists, and is a damn serious issue.. Roos should be pulled into line immediately, and shown to be the liar that he is.. He has constantly challanged/bent the rules since the start of his coaching career, yet plays the innocent, nice guy all along.. Sure, he has an agenda; to keep the swans winning, but the AFL needs to realise that this action is/was deliberate, and adds to a long list of Roos' crimes against the game..

It makes it harder when you get guys like KB who agree with everything the AFL puts out.. His stance on tanking was also a joke, and without hearing the whole segment this morning, i got the impression he believed the tunneling issue was also nonsense...

seems some animals are more equal than others...

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

hi sobraz, clearly you don't like drinking paul roos p1ss wine or chocolate moose rose spelling shyte, whats wrong with you?

you might offend roos.

he stands on his reputation you know :roll:

SHUT UP KRIME!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paul Roos

Dan Warna wrote:what a piece of shyte.

trading on his reputation as a good guy on the tunnelling issue?

when will they wake up to the fact he's just another bloke.

how long can he trade on his good guy rep? he used it on the tanking issue, he used it on the barry hall issue, he used on the stafford issue, and now he's using it LRT.

wake up and smell the roses.

paul roos' schmidt doesn't smell of roses.
spot on.....couldn't have said it better myself!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:

Paul is a liar.

you got that right...reckons that he had never heard of the practice....doesn't he watch the dvd's sent to the clubs from the umpires....

"AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the league was already aware of the tactic as it applied to ruck contests. There were examples provided in the DVD sent by the umpiring department to clubs clarifying aspects of the rules of the game.

He said the umpiring department had already reviewed the St Kilda-Sydney game and "it was their view that the officiating umpires should have paid one, and maybe two, free kicks" to Riewoldt."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I have been saying on here for a long time, Roos as a coach who has taken AFL to a new low. His US-style tactics are taking the game to the point where - as in US basketball and gridiron - we will end up having to have umpteen officials - many on the sidelines - looking out all the premeditated foul play tactics employed by clubs.

This is not the sort of football that I, or most of the punters, want to watch. With all its faults, the AFL knows this, but Roos also knows that the AFL is reluctant to come down like a ton of bricks on the advance party of its dreams of conquering Sydney for the AFL. Hence Roos keeps pushing and pushing at the envelope.

The AFL needs to bite the bullet and state publicly that teams (it doesn't have to name the Swans) that engage in systematic, premeditated foul play can expect to get very uneven free kick counts against them and there will be no evening up and umpires will be backed 100% even if the free kick count ends up being 50-1.

That would fix it for good.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintDal
Club Player

stinger wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:

Paul is a liar.

you got that right...reckons that he had never heard of the practice....doesn't he watch the dvd's sent to the clubs from the umpires....

"AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the league was already aware of the tactic as it applied to ruck contests. There were examples provided in the DVD sent by the umpiring department to clubs clarifying aspects of the rules of the game.

He said the umpiring department had already reviewed the St Kilda-Sydney game and "it was their view that the officiating umpires should have paid one, and maybe two, free kicks" to Riewoldt."
You know there is a problem with the rules in our game when a game is reviewed and they still can't decide if it's a free kick or not.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintDal wrote:
stinger wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:

Paul is a liar.

You know there is a problem with the rules in our game when a game is reviewed and they still can't decide if it's a free kick or not.
Perhaps, although the issue here is one of intentionality. It can hardly be automatically made illegal for a player to remain on the ground in a contest while another one jumps up for a mark: if we did this, then we can expect to see a spate of players jumping way over the flight of the ball in marking contests in order to secure a free kick.

The umpire is going to need to adjudicate that the infringing player was not really going for the ball, but was actually trying to unbalance his opponent. It's a bit like the free kick given to Clinton Jones on Saturday night: Mattner was originally going for the ball, but the umpire adjudicated that he turned his back on the contest at the last minute. The decision bordered on being a bit harsh on Mattner, but I think the consensus is that the ump got it right.

This sort of thing will always require a judgement call on the part of the ump, as will any free kick awarded for tunnelling. Systematic, deliberate tunnelling as we saw on Saturday night should, of course, result in the player having his name taken (likewise for persistent deliberate contacts with no intention to go for the ball).

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift