Thoughts on Saturday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bungiton
SS Life Member

Thoughts on Saturday

I have watched saturdays game now three times and must say it was a scrappy match but I loved it. We didn't play that bloody bad.

Positives for mine were the fact that we made a hell of a lot of fast breaks from defense, Finished off with long kicks to our forwards. The goals we did get and goals we were unlucky not too often were the result of fast breaking running footy from defense. The amount of times we caught the swines off guard at thier own game was astounding getting the ball deep forward with only a man on man situation or players totally unmanned.

The Swans midfield is basically a team of taggers, their true midfielders are seagulls that run from half back or deeper, ie that irish turd. The fact that so many of our mids got amongst it most of the night was a great sign,, the fish job on Goodes was outstanding, give him Dudd this week.

Rucks as in thank F$%K for a ruck. Gardy played a good game, King played a great game. The two of these guys getting back to help out ie Gardy's little cut off markk on HB and kingy's huge spoil just outside the square in defense were such pleasing aspects of Sats game not to mention the two of them killing shots from running into space inside forward fifty. These two are truly something we have been waiting for and missing for three or five years.

that Jones boy, nuff said, can't kick for s*** but chases harrasses and is willing to put his body on the line, if that were gibbs running at Mattner on Saturday nite, we lose by four points.

Gram apparently had an off night, watch the game and see how many spoils he made on saturday night, no stats but the amount of timely fist he got to the ball was brilliant. Also the bastard roos put O'keefe on him as a hard tag to stop his influence from deep in defence. He did assist in at least one goal and seeing we only kicked six, that ain't bad.

Bally, I still don't know if he's back to full pace but by golly as a tackler the guy is a vice. Lenny is also looking like he's cruising into top gear.

Our forward fifty functioned well at times on saturday, but at times guys were running into each others space, was good to see Dal, harvs, Lenny actually back themselves for running shots.

Will be great to see the train glide into our forward fifty this week (hopefully) will be a treat to see defences dropping washers all day.

Our back six, Max, Chips, Raph, Gram, A first gamer, did a bloody good job.

The percieved game plan well one side started playing great attacking, running footy, it wasn't the swans, yeah we got a lot back in defence but thats footy these days, in the first Q we kicked them on the rebound and looked, wait for it, lightning quick. Lets wait a week or two before we bemoan becoming the new swines hey

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I just watched the replay for the first time, after being at the game and the first thing i'm thankful of is that my heart is strong enough to survive that.

Raph Clarke did play well, I made special note of watching him whenever possible, but his two clangers were huge, and especially in the context of the game where any mistake is multiplied twofold.

We actually seemed to do well with just bombing the ball forward to pack situations, at worst it was a ball up most times.

Leigh Fisher did a great job on Goodes as much as Goodes played badly, but I believe Hudghton's job on Hall was even better.

Tim Lane, Malcolm Blight - Get out of the commentary box, you are useless. Also I've heard enough about the coaching from the boundary line, talk about it during the week, not the game.

The game was not "bad to watch", nor "a blight on football", and the coaches should not apologise. Bad kicking at goals made it less exciting from a goal perspective, but the team with the ball generally used free flowing playstyle, and attempted to break down the flood as best as possible. Ebbs and flows throughout the game were based on who was fit and running at the time, rather than anything else. I did notice (at the ground, not evidenced on the replay) that when we struggled to move forward, our players were flat footed and recovering our energy.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

the thing i noticed watching the game on TV after being at the game is that things that bloody frustrate the hell out of me at the game (not kicking to the first/best/long option and instead going short/backwards, players not running at the opposition ball carier, but instead just guarding space infront of them) are hardly picked up at all on TV.

Also on TV the players that you thought were horrible when you watched at the game, don't seem as bad. Example is Raph Clarke, while at the game i was extremely annoyed with him just seeming to run around in circles lost at times, and not putting enough pressure on his opponents, and that Goodes goal was telegraphed a mile away at the ground, but it all doesn't get picked up on TV

maybe thats why people have such different opinions on the game

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:the thing i noticed watching the game on TV after being at the game is that things that bloody frustrate the hell out of me at the game (not kicking to the first/best/long option and instead going short/backwards, players not running at the opposition ball carier, but instead just guarding space infront of them) are hardly picked up at all on TV.

Also on TV the players that you thought were horrible when you watched at the game, don't seem as bad. Example is Raph Clarke, while at the game i was extremely annoyed with him just seeming to run around in circles lost at times, and not putting enough pressure on his opponents, and that Goodes goal was telegraphed a mile away at the ground, but it all doesn't get picked up on TV

maybe thats why people have such different opinions on the game
I watched the game two times and have now deleted it....

A game that I thought from the start was going to be a crap one (has been like that when we play Sydney in the past)

I just can't believe that our best player in running the lines had just 6 kicks ...

They seemed frightened to kick one on one and just waited for someone in space....

THERE WAS NO SPACE unless you made it and that didn't happen and our runners seemed to lose sight of kicking to a contest one on one...

Have some bloody faith in your team mate and kick the ball to his advantage so he is better than a 50% chance in getting the ball...

God sake they had enough time to do that IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!