What style of play do we want/expect to see on Sat night?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:Ross Lyon said after the match he wants to play more direct and free flowing and he always says its a "entertainment business".
i couldn't care less about the entertainment side of it.

just recognition from RL that goals on the board win games of football and that there is no pressure like scoreboard pressure.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
sainters man wrote:Ross Lyon said after the match he wants to play more direct and free flowing and he always says its a "entertainment business".
i couldn't care less about the entertainment side of it.

just recognition from RL that goals on the board win games of football and that there is no pressure like scoreboard pressure.
With due respect, we would have put on a heap of scoreboard pressure had we kicked straight.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:Saturday night was sydney shutting the game down after quarter time so it wasnt a blow out.
correct. just so damned frustrating that they nearly rolled us.

how do you counter such negative and miserable tactics? imo stick to your original game plan and keep attacking. back your talented team to kick a higher score despite it all.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:With due respect, we would have put on a heap of scoreboard pressure had we kicked straight.
the swans had only two fewer scoring shots than us though, so it was a good thing that they didn't kick straight either

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:With due respect, we would have put on a heap of scoreboard pressure had we kicked straight.
the swans had only two fewer scoring shots than us though, so it was a good thing that they didn't kick straight either

True ... and had the ball been returning to the centre more often (because of more goals) then there would have been less opportunity for flooding, and the game more open ... and IMO that would have advantaged us.

Anyway, we won ... let's hope it's a far better spectacle next week!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:When there are a lot of behinds scored, the ball doesn't return to the centre often.

This means that there are a lot of kick-outs from respective backlines.

This leads to zoning and teams able to push numbers back very easily.

Hence the crap game we saw.

Had we kicked 12-13 goals from our 21 shots, the ball would have returned to the centre more often ... hence less opportunity for flooding ... hence a better game to watch.

Inaccurate kicking actually affects the style of play.
Do you think that bad kicking is often a result of physical exhaustion?

When your forwards are expected to sprint 150m constantly for 30 mins, throwing in a set shot every few minutes isn't really that easy.

I said this in another post, but our new game plan appears to rely solely on our best players being super fit and healthy.

This is an issue. For obvious reasons.

Sydney were pathetic until they got their best 22 fit for 10 straight weeks. Even then, they required other teams to succumb to heavy injuries in order to win a flag.

I'm still clinging to the hope that Lyon doesn't think what Sydney did was due to good practice, as opposed to unprecedented luck.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:When there are a lot of behinds scored, the ball doesn't return to the centre often.

This means that there are a lot of kick-outs from respective backlines.

This leads to zoning and teams able to push numbers back very easily.

Hence the crap game we saw.

Had we kicked 12-13 goals from our 21 shots, the ball would have returned to the centre more often ... hence less opportunity for flooding ... hence a better game to watch.

Inaccurate kicking actually affects the style of play.
Do you think that bad kicking is often a result of physical exhaustion?

When your forwards are expected to sprint 150m constantly for 30 mins, throwing in a set shot every few minutes isn't really that easy.

I said this in another post, but our new game plan appears to rely solely on our best players being super fit and healthy.

This is an issue. For obvious reasons.

Sydney were pathetic until they got their best 22 fit for 10 straight weeks. Even then, they required other teams to succumb to heavy injuries in order to win a flag.

I'm still clinging to the hope that Lyon doesn't think what Sydney did was due to good practice, as opposed to unprecedented luck.
All very well and good, but how do you explain the 1 point loss the following year...

Two years of heavy injuries for other teams and unprecedented luck?

And there's me thinking the Cats had the easiest run ever with teams all round them falling over with injuries....but they changed the way footy's being played....

ThomasR
Club Player

Carlton have conceded 100+ points something like 23 times in a row, only a couple of games away from the record if memory serves.

I will be very disappointed if we don't continue this trend. Very.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
All very well and good, but how do you explain the 1 point loss the following year...

Exactly.

What happened last year when Hall wasn't 100% and Kennelly didn't come up?
maverick wrote: And there's me thinking the Cats had the easiest run ever with teams all round them falling over with injuries....but they changed the way footy's being played....
Not sure what you mean by this??

maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
maverick wrote:

Exactly.

What happened last year when Hall wasn't 100% and Kennelly didn't come up?
maverick wrote: And there's me thinking the Cats had the easiest run ever with teams all round them falling over with injuries....but they changed the way footy's being played....
Not sure what you mean by this??
There are lucky teams every year, when you back up in GF's two years in a row, it can't be luck IMO.

jill
Club Player

Apparently Ross Lyon blasted team after game for "getting sucked in " & playing Swans game! Too early to judge ( or is it blame?).
GO SAINTERS 2008!!!!

nicko016
Club Player

Im happy to disregard the game against Sydney in terms of our game plan and wait a bit longer to see how its going before I make a judgement on it. Surely, we should see a much more free flowing game against Carlton where we will get a better idea of where our gameplan is. I watched last year's West Coast game today in which we played with a gameplan that we should be striving for. It was more quick moving and involved long kicking into the F50 but was more central around kicking than handballing than teams that play faster gameplans like Geelong. From watching that, what we did is we were very good in close with short quick handballs to get out in open space so we could deliver the ball long. What was important in that game was that we got the ball in the hands of Montagna, Harvey and Dal Santo a lot who are all quick moving and play on as much as possible.

What I am concerned about is our inability to put teams away and show a killer instinct. We did it numerous times last year and did it against Sydney. However, this can be partly excused because of Sydney's ability to claw back. Luckily, we have an uncanny nack to regian the momentum after teams come close and win, however, eventually it will cost us some games and also means we can never have a big percentage. It is such a change from 2004-05 where we were so good at showing killer instinct and putting teams away.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Do you think that bad kicking is often a result of physical exhaustion?
That's an interesting question .... and if it was answered in the affirmative, then the conclusion could be that the gameplan is partly responsible for innacurate kicking.

Would like to see Sydney's average accuracy over say the last 4 years and compare it to the average accuracy in the AFL.

Then we'd have some idea of how to answer that question