Raph Clarke !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jill
Club Player

Well summed up Solar - think theDud is living up to his nickname & avatar! :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:Well summed up Solar - think theDud is living up to his nickname & avatar! :wink:
and i think Raph's living up to yours ;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
stinger wrote: .....i'm happy to go with the coach's assessment of ralph...rather than some of the self appointed experts on here......
yeah, but i wonder what he thought of Raph

he's cons far out weigh his pros, he shouldn't get a game next week
... :oops: :oops: ..not having a good night, am i......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jill
Club Player

No avatar - a computer novice - but at least I've got the guts to use my own name - & would supply pic if I only knew how! Hope Raph leaves egg over your face at season's end!!!
GO SAINTER 2008!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:No avatar - a computer novice - but at least I've got the guts to use my own name - & would supply pic if I only knew how! Hope Raph leaves egg over your face at season's end!!!
GO SAINTER 2008!
i hope he does too, but after 3 years of watching him, he ain't getting any better

i was refering to Raph living up to your nickname ~ a girls name ~ Raph plays like a girl ~ doesn't like the hard stuff (such as the Clint Jones situation)

my name is Chris

avid
Club Player

He plays like 99% of the human race would. It's objectionable to pick out girls in this case.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Honestly I thaught at the time he was poor with 1 effort standing out like a sore thumb, but upon watching the replay I was harsh on him. Raph gave an effort and was accountable at the least. Gets a lot if grief but does his job pretty well for mine.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Thought I might find a Raph thread on here after that game:)

The play he's rundown in the centre is classic Raph... awareness and vision let him down at the last moment, and it's that split seconds decision making that puts Raph on the borderline of the 22 instead of in the top 10.

If we take the moments leading up to it, Raph won the ball, handballed it to a teammate, ran to provide an option and got the ball back, and had broken the line to run to the centre circle... where it fell apart.

He'd done all the good things to get there, but all are outweighed by then turning over the ball... and guess what the majority of people notice as well. Like Goddard a few years back, it's not just that he commits clangers, it's the clangers he commits - i haven't been around, but I bet we haven't seen a lot of discussion of Lenny Hayes kick out on the full - because it doesn't hurt as much.

The positive for me is that it was a mistake you'd expect of a kid in their first 50 games, and that was game 31 for Raph... but goodness is it frustrating.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Duggie
Club Player

Well, its on again!
The same players copping a bucket full of criticism.
Odd (or is it?) that these outbursts come after we have had a loss or a narrow sqeak and /or a poor game. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The "speed" issue I have with Raph isn't his run speed. It's his delivery of the ball. He almost telegraphs his moves a few seconds in advance and seems extremely easy to predict.

jill
Club Player

The_Dud is just that! Sexist, dill!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote:The_Dud is just that! Sexist, dill!
jeez, can't you take a joke

Aunt Flow must be in town...... :roll:

;)

Megamaguire
Club Player

Stinger backs Lyon - wisely.

stinger wrote:"Lyon said Jones was among several young Saints who impressed on Saturday night, with the coach also praising first-gamer Jarryn Geary, Sam Gilbert, Leigh Fisher and Raphael Clarke"

.....i'm happy to go with the coach's assessment of raph...rather than some of the self appointed experts on here......
Hi Stinger it's Mega from that 'Saint' Kilda mob just agreeing with your faith in Rossi and his faith in Raph. Raph is still a young player and Rossi sees him that way . Iget the feeling that Rossi reckons he is worth putting time into. It's easy to get frustrated with a young player and blast him as not good enough for what we want to do @ St. K. but coaches often see what they can become and i haven't given up on Rossi yet either in this regard. Like Roos Rossi was apparently a fierce defender and if he sees something in Raph that is good enough for me. Raph was hardly alone in producing clangers on Saturday but he also produced a fair number of good quality plays. In the past i have worried more about L.Fischer but he did well on Goodes.

GOALS GOALS n' GOALS NEEDED against the blues.

We have percentage to make up already !

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I thought The Dud has been harshly done by here.

Let's wait and see this week's team.

I reckon Raph is on thin ice. He has no awareness.

But he is one of Ross's boys.

3:16
Club Player

Coach's word not good enough for ya champ? Coach's don't praise players for nothing, certainly not in the media!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

3:16 wrote:Coach's word not good enough for ya champ? Coach's don't praise players for nothing, certainly not in the media!!!!!
Yeah champ it is.

Wasn't exactly harsh criticism I heaped on the bloke.

Would love to see him succeed.

Personally, IMO, my belief is he has little awareness and will need a stellar 2008 to stay on our list.

:roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

3:16 wrote:Coach's word not good enough for ya champ? Coach's don't praise players for nothing, certainly not in the media!!!!!
When did you get out ?

Day release or porole ? :wink: :wink: !!

3:16
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
When did you get out ?

Day release or porole ? :wink: :wink: !!
Hi eastern, been doin the "peep-show" thing, watching closely!!!!! Been very busy, now footy's all go, I have more time to talk, as it's up to players and coaches now!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Shaggy
Club Player

I thought Raph was amongst our best on the weekend.

He is one of the few who created space in close clinches.

Each to their own opinion but Raph played a good game on the weekend IMO. X was good also. Our back line needed them with Grammy effectively absent.

The game was dominated by the backs and Raph was one of our best.

HarveysDeciple

One of those players who's errors stand out like dog's balls.

I thought over the course of the night he played quite well.

took a very telling mark in the dying minutes.

It's no secret he has poor awareness, he often seems to think he has way more time then he does.

There should have been way more voice around him when he was run down so fault falls on some teammates too.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Raph has his faults, we can all see that.

What I really, really like is the fact that both X and Raph were in the same team, and both were match fit!

We hardly ever see this.

Don't discount the added value we get from both of them when they're playing together.....afterall, they've got over 20 years experience doing that!

Now if only it turns out like the Krakouer brothers, Jimmy and Phil, I'll be happy (provided they don't go down Jimmy's post-footy path of course!).

Raph IMO is deceptively quick on his feet (not mind!) - he has a gangly gait about his run, similar to Gilbert.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Raph Clarke!!!

Like a lot of posters here I think there's a lot of work to do yet to see Raph achieve his potential, but if we persevere he could just become a fine player for us.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
aussiejones
Club Player

Raph did ok.

Floating passes need work .

Worth persisting with

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I thought Raph went OK, his form and efforts were better than Gilberts and at least he tried to create, which was necessary as Gram was held or just quiet. Can't be too critical of a bloke trying to create and run when 80% of that match was stop start chip n dip football.

He'll be alright and was not the first to ever be run down and I can guarantee will not be the last. Perhaps his run wasn't helped by a lack of movement or options ahead.

I noticed a few times in the second half last week that players were only making half hearted leads and movements when our players were trying to find options.

congorozides
Club Player

raph just worries me still. same for 3 years now. he appears to think he is on the way to his mums houe for dinner the way he strolls around the park. needs the urgency of his brother. get caught all the time and seems to think he has more time than he really has. if we were 3 points up in a grand final with 5 minutes to play and the ball went to raph in the back line i think id die of stress.