Footy on Good Friday? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should football be played on Good Friday?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 60

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:Just on the issue of whether Australia is a Christian nation. It most definitely is not. While the majority of people might be nominally Christian, under the law, the nation enjoys separation of Church and State.

Article 5, subsection 116 of the Australian Constitution clearly reads:

116. The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.
Of course there is no law regarding religion.

Its like saying Victoria is a football state...meaning that of all sports, football is most popular.

Australia is a Christian nation. Hence the calender system. I don't think they have an Easter Monday in countries like India, China or Japan.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
SteveStevens66 wrote:Just on the issue of whether Australia is a Christian nation. It most definitely is not. While the majority of people might be nominally Christian, under the law, the nation enjoys separation of Church and State.

Article 5, subsection 116 of the Australian Constitution clearly reads:

116. The Commonwealth shall not make any law for establishing any religion, or for imposing any religious observance, or for prohibiting the free exercise of any religion, and no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office or public trust under the Commonwealth.
Of course there is no law regarding religion.

Its like saying Victoria is a football state...meaning that of all sports, football is most popular.

Australia is a Christian nation. Hence the calender system. I don't think they have an Easter Monday in countries like India, China or Japan.
but just because its the most popular religion, doesn't mean a majority of the population are Christians

just look at the results of the poll for this thread

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Armoooo wrote:whereas Good Friday is mourning the death who for all we know could have been the world's greatest conman...
Oh Dear!
Show me some concrete evidence that Jesus was the son of god or came back from the dead or performed any miracle and I will change my vote.... I think if mankind are going to move on together in peaceful unity religion but be abolished, people need to understand just how absurd some of those religious beliefs sound to people who don't have the great 'faith'...

For every one good thing that has come out of religion there have been millions of worse things...

For every charity there has been a holocaust, for every mother Teresa there has been a war....
I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with you...My "Oh Dear" comment was said because I was expecting that comment to cause much more comment than it got.

My view on the whole subject is along the same line as the famous cosmologist, Carl Sagan. He said about faith in god "I don't want to believe, I want to know"

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Armoooo wrote:whereas Good Friday is mourning the death who for all we know could have been the world's greatest conman...
Oh Dear!
Show me some concrete evidence that Jesus was the son of god or came back from the dead or performed any miracle and I will change my vote.... I think if mankind are going to move on together in peaceful unity religion but be abolished, people need to understand just how absurd some of those religious beliefs sound to people who don't have the great 'faith'...

For every one good thing that has come out of religion there have been millions of worse things...

For every charity there has been a holocaust, for every mother Teresa there has been a war....
I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with you...My "Oh Dear" comment was said because I was expecting that comment to cause much more comment than it got.

My view on the whole subject is along the same line as the famous cosmologist, Carl Sagan. He said about faith in god "I don't want to believe, I want to know"
Apologies, I misunderstood.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Also, your views on Religion are not wanted here. Only your views on weather football should be played on Good Friday.
Weather football, if it's sunny and warm then No, but if it's raining then yes that would keep within the solemnity of the day.

Suppose i'll have to suppress all my views as you are religious and i am not. fixed?

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Spinner writes:

"Of course there is no law regarding religion.

Australia is a Christian nation. Hence the calender system. I don't think they have an Easter Monday in countries like India, China or Japan." (By the way, China is a Marxist state and thus officially atheist).

You say "Of course there is no law regarding religion," thereby indicating you understand what that term means and then go on to say, "Australia is a Christian nation," thereby indicating that you don't understand what the issue is at all. To declare a country Christian, Mulsim, Jewish, Hindu Buddhist is NOT about the extent of adherence to a particular faith or the setup of its calendars. Those things are secondary outcomes of the majority religion. (By the way, China is a Marxist state and hence officially atheist)

When a particular nation declares itself to be of one faith it is a LEGAL category because it is enshrined in law. The LAW, not the wishes of any one one individual or group, says that in Australia, there is no one religion favoured by the state. To do so would be ILLEGAL.

Carna Saints!!!
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
You could also enjoy catching a Train to your Good Friday football match!!!

The abundance of public transport on this day would make an enjoyable trip to the footy for so many Melbournians....

Also, your views on Religion are not wanted here. Only your views on weather football should be played on Good Friday. So I suggest you fix up your post or I suggest go and post on an anti-religious forum.
Plenty of trains and public transport running today on Good Friday, the same if not more than on a Sunday when footy is played. Wasn't the only thing you were wrong on, in this thread.

Within 5 years i bet common sense will prevail and there will be Good Friday footy.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I think the yes have it.....

but seriously, the AFL need to get their heads out of the sand on this issues, it's one of the few times the NRL is beating them

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Clearly followers of the Non-Religious League are going to hell. As I'm sure they had game(s) tonight....

And followers of the Angelic Football League are heading for heaven... as we had no such nonsense in Victoria. "halo"

Once I'd finished my eight hours at work, had a couple of beers and a big bowl of pasta and then a walk with the boy, I got to sit down to a wholesome selection of shows featuring Kevin Costner and/or Matt Perry. :roll:

Please let me have the choice of either going to or watching the footy - huge crowd drawer and a good opportunity for the RCH to draw some extra money as I'm sure it would. If you don't want to watch it or go to it - DON'T!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'll offend someone ( :shock: ) but I actually don't religiously observe any religious days, so please don't push your religious days on me.

The world has moved on, move with it - bring on footy on Good Friday.

"Puts on little tin hat and waits for the abuse"

:lol:

Kate
Club Player

I'm all for choice. Most Australians do not hold Good Friday as sacred. Those who do have every right to decide how they mark this religous occasion. Those who don't should not be restricted in their activites on this day or any other.

Give the footy match a go. The crowd will tell if it was a good idea or not.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Clearly followers of the Non-Religious League are going to hell. As I'm sure they had game(s) tonight....

And followers of the Angelic Football League are heading for heaven... as we had no such nonsense in Victoria. "halo"

Once I'd finished my eight hours at work, had a couple of beers and a big bowl of pasta and then a walk with the boy, I got to sit down to a wholesome selection of shows featuring Kevin Costner and/or Matt Perry. :roll:

Please let me have the choice of either going to or watching the footy - huge crowd drawer and a good opportunity for the RCH to draw some extra money as I'm sure it would. If you don't want to watch it or go to it - DON'T!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'll offend someone ( :shock: ) but I actually don't religiously observe any religious days, so please don't push your religious days on me.

Agree totally, well put

btw those three certain posters from the other thread on this need to learn to argue a point insteed of bleating.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Clearly followers of the Non-Religious League are going to hell. As I'm sure they had game(s) tonight....

The fact that Good Friday even exists as an official public holiday is forcing a certain religion on you......Maybe your issue needs to be taken up with the Australian government rather than the Australian Football League?

But in context, I agree....as would any sensible and logical person. No religion should be forced onto anyone.

I would suggest the reasoning to this is that it satisfies the majority of people Australia wide.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cant do nothing the day he was crucified ...only allowed to celebrate his re-coming........ :lol:

what rubbish...no footy because apparently 'someone' was murdered that day.

Footy should be played on Friday nights. Period.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I find it extremely worrying that religion still plays such a role in society, to such a point that it affects something like football, which should be free of all religious clauses.

Football should be played on Good Friday; besides other religions don't rate the day as highly and it seems both biased towards one religion and extremely disrespectful to others.

The simple solution is to play football and, if you must, use it as a 'celebration' for the fact that the Jewish prophet known as Jesus was nailed to a cross in the middle east just over two milleniums ago.

I am extremely frustrated that we are let religion affect our leisure activities, but that's just the way of it, I suppose.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I find it extremely worrying that religion still plays such a role in society, to such a point that it affects something like football, which should be free of all religious clauses.

Football should be played on Good Friday; besides other religions don't rate the day as highly and it seems both biased towards one religion and extremely disrespectful to others.

The simple solution is to play football and, if you must, use it as a 'celebration' for the fact that the Jewish prophet known as Jesus was nailed to a cross in the middle east just over two milleniums ago.

I am extremely frustrated that we are let religion affect our leisure activities, but that's just the way of it, I suppose.
Are you a Moderator on this forum????

Absolutely pathetic....Leave your Religious views within the moderators forum....Don't sleaze them onto others.

I nor anyone I know didn't create the rule of no footy on Good Friday, so save us your religious views. Religion bash in your own time.

As I stated before, care to lay out your life on the table...and i'll hone in and attack your sensitivities....more than happy to do so. And don't play the naive card....Both you and I know what yours intentions were with that comment, even if it goes over most others heads.

Pathetic.