Footy Classified - my opinion of the beat the press

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Footy Classified - my opinion of the beat the press

did anyone catch the beat the press segment of footy Classified last night ?
a few things i got out of it were

* Choco Williams to me seems like he acts like a contravesial knob head as an atempt to push his claim as a footy expert if/when the power give him the arse

* John Worsfold couldnt tell the truth even if he wanted to and he masks his blatant lies with his dicky smirk just like benny boy does

* Dean Bailey wont last long

* as much as i dislike Carro its a bit low the way Choco targeted her

* hutchy cant handle confrontaton !

*Gary Lyon annoys the s***s out of me the way he always go's "whoooo" when ever anyone says anything even remotly controvesial .... we get it gary we dont need you to highlight it !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Williams is a tool, and i think he might have anger problems

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Williams is getting wierder by the day.. has taken a different approach since they won the flag... its like hes aloud to act like a knob now that the runs are on the board...

All in all, i think the journo's handled the criticism quite well...

And quite right, Bailey wont last long...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Williams is getting wierder by the day.. has taken a different approach since they won the flag... its like hes aloud to act like a knob now that the runs are on the board...

All in all, i think the journo's handled the criticism quite well...

And quite right, Bailey wont last long...
the thing i see in Wiliams is i dont think hes honestly like that i think its more of an act just the look in his eyes he doesnt seem to have alot of conviction in what hes saying , i think hes trying to build his media presonallity so he can get a cushy job in the media making out there rants and raves when hes done with the coaching caper

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

bailey will last...he seems like the hard a-hole that club needs...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

Got to disagree with all comments on Choco Williams so far.

My impression is that he is a man who is extremely passionate and somewhat protective of his players privacy.

IMO his comments/questions to Caro and Damien someone... was his way of showing how intrusive the media is becoming re: players private lives.

He was critical of the negative media his players recieved, critical of the accuracy of the content of some of the reporters articles and defensive of his players personal lives of the field.

Perhaps it did border on childish... e.g. "have you ever had majuarna Caro"... but it certainty made his point (i think anyway).

I now have greater respect for choco. Not only is he a proven sucessful coach but he also obviously has some great relationshpis with his players (sound familiar... GT).

Seriously, the standard of professionalism in the footy media is pathetic.

The back of the paper is becoming less and less about football commentary, and more and more of a gossip rag.

go saints!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:bailey will last...he seems like the hard a-hole that club needs...
he comes across to me like the caretaker coach like Peter Rhodes at the doggies just filling the space til they can find marqee signing as coach

chook23
Saintsational Legend

contrived rubbish

saint4life
aussiejones
Club Player

contrived rubbish

EXACTLY what the Footy show is .....

Which is why people dont watch

ctqs
Club Player

chook23 wrote:contrived rubbish
Got it in one. Both sides are as bad as eachother, though Damian Barrett didn't come across as being as a smart-alec like his two colleagues, and showed some honesty. Bailey is a tough nut mongrel and exactly what Melbourne needs, though given he'll be a square peg in a round hole at that place, it better show results quickly.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:contrived rubbish

\

Im not sure which show you mean they dont watch but the footy show still rates well so it must be the other one.

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Two constants in the latest controversies;

1. Channel Nine (now it no longer has any footy rights)

2. Craig Hutchinson

It is like he is required to create / contrieve some controversy anywhere so that Channel Nine attracts viewers as it has little football vision.

The shows itself have become a freak show - and to date has only focused on the negatives of football.

After 150 bloody years, you'd think there would be plenty of good stories with historical and factual presence that can be written/spoken about which would make more interesting viewing!

I am off footy on Channel Nine in a BIG way!

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
GrumpyOne

Be more appropriate to call it the beat of the press.

Its what they all seem to be doing feverishly.

Beating it to death.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Footy is a boring game.

The AFL has made it even more boring on-field.

So, the only way to get interest in it, is through off-field 'drama'.

People talk about it, and people read it. It sells - the on-field element barely does these days.

How often, do neutral supporters talk about how good a game is?

Very, very rarely. What they will talk about around the water cooler on the Monday, is how bad the umpires were, how much of a wanker players X is etc. etc.

The on-field game itself, is boring and dull.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Tue 18 Mar 2008 12:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Footy is a boring game.

People talk about it, and people read it. It sells - the on-field element barely does these days.

How often, do regular supporters talk about how good a game is?

Very, very rarely. What they will talk about around the water cooler on the Monday, is how bad the umpires were, how much of a wanker players X is etc. etc.

I think the coaches have made it more boring as you call it on the field. The AFL are trying to fix it up. Most of the rules brought in helped last season to be the best in 5 years or so except that stupid hands on the back rule.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I think the coaches have made it more boring as you call it on the field. The AFL are trying to fix it up. Most of the rules brought in helped last season to be the best in 5 years or so except that stupid hands on the back rule.
That is true to an extent.

The AFL did however outlaw physicality and intimidation - which was one element our game had that no other in the world could boast.

Without that, and with our rules becoming more and more designed to minimise contact, we're really no different to many other sports - except that our game is pretty dull and full of stoppages, and goes for 2.5 hours.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That is true to an extent.

The AFL did however outlaw physicality and intimidation - which was one element our game had that no other in the world could boast.

Without that, and with our rules becoming more and more designed to minimise contact, we're really no different to many other sports - except that our game is pretty dull and full of stoppages, and goes for 2.5 hours.
Not sure you are forced to watch but IMO it is far and away the best game in the world. And the AFL didnt outlaw physicallity political correctness did that.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think hes out of line asking Caro about if she had smoked pot . Caro as much as i dislike her is not an eleite athleate who is a role model for thousands of kids footy players are . as journalists its their job to ask these questions

GrumpyOne

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think hes out of line asking Caro about if she had smoked pot .
She hasn't, but everyone who's slept with her did.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think hes out of line asking Caro about if she had smoked pot .
She hasn't, but everyone who's slept with her did.
:lol: :lol: Its funny, 'cause its true!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:contrived rubbish

people bag the footy show and footy classifides really you should try and live in perth and watch the local footy show "The Western Front" i think you will find a new respect for channel 9's footyshows

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the thing is...they want you to be talking and even whinging about the show...you watched it and will continue to watch it week in week out and have your little whinges about this and that

the fact is the show has opinions on it...even though they are a little manipulated and soft ones at that...at least they are something...if its out of left field as in choco or worsfold well more power to them i say

its just a tv show and its meant to entertain...its doing that

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
ctqs
Club Player

How often, do neutral supporters talk about how good a game is?

I think there's an earnestness about the game which is killing it off, for sure. I also think it's overkill. The golden goose is nearly cooked. Remember that once upon a time we'd only see the match of the day and a second game, and they were only Saturday night highlights. Now all EIGHT games are available from start to finish. There's no quality control with what we get to see.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think hes out of line asking Caro about if she had smoked pot . Caro as much as i dislike her is not an eleite athleate who is a role model for thousands of kids footy players are . as journalists its their job to ask these questions
Surely she's a celebrity, and hence a role model for young girls who like footy and want to be involved with the AFL?

While I find her regularly over the top and her moralising just bothers me, I'd much rather have a daughter taking Caroline Wilson as a role model than Britney Spear, Paris Hilton et al. Rather have a kid take her as a role model than just about any athlete. While I'm not a huge fan of her articles, her career in sports journalism is a strong one.

Given that it's a panel show, then if the panel wants to ask those questions, they all need to be prepared to ahve the same questions fired back at them. Especially if they want to be able to moralise on the subject... without sin and the first stone and all that.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i think hes out of line asking Caro about if she had smoked pot . Caro as much as i dislike her is not an eleite athleate who is a role model for thousands of kids footy players are . as journalists its their job to ask these questions
Surely she's a celebrity, and hence a role model for young girls who like footy and want to be involved with the AFL?

While I find her regularly over the top and her moralising just bothers me, I'd much rather have a daughter taking Caroline Wilson as a role model than Britney Spear, Paris Hilton et al. Rather have a kid take her as a role model than just about any athlete. While I'm not a huge fan of her articles, her career in sports journalism is a strong one.

Given that it's a panel show, then if the panel wants to ask those questions, they all need to be prepared to ahve the same questions fired back at them. Especially if they want to be able to moralise on the subject... without sin and the first stone and all that.
yes but in the context of why it was asked choco was insinuating that unless caro is sin free she has no right to pass comment on his players and that is not correct she askes those questions on behalf of her readers and the genral public and the fact choco complained about it go's a long way into the mentality of the AFL in trying to turn a blind eye on the problem and hope it go's away