Swans injury list

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Swans injury list

This was posted on BigFooty yesterday..

As there is no "official' Swans injury list one of their fans bedford put this up:

Thornton season
Malceski season ?
Fosdike knee 4 weeks
Laidlaw knee 4 weeks
Everitt knee 4 weeks
Playfair hamstring/ indefinite
Crouch hamstring ,who would know
Ablett groin ?
Richards ?
Schmitt ?
Vezspremi ?
Possibly playing this weekend.

So that would seem to be 4 significant outs (arguably 5 as Schneider played 21 games last year) vs the Saints not having Goose and Baker...possibly BJ as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

who cares if we are to be any threat to the flag we gotta be able to beat teams when they are 110% fit

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Swans injury list

saintsRrising wrote:As there is no "official' Swans injury list one of their fans bedford put this up:
Yes there is:
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl.php? ... scot=Swans

Nick Malceski - knee ACL - Indefinite
Peter Everitt - knee cartilage damage - Might miss start of season with chronic knee problem.
Luke Ablett - groin injury - Likely to miss round 1.
Jared Crouch - hamstring strain - Likely to miss round 1.
Kristin Thornton - knee ACL - season

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Even if they have some injuries, they finally have some quality kids pushing for selection. At least a couple of those kids are better than some of those outs. If Schneider counts as an out, then Mattner counts as an in, and with Malceski out, they probably need Mattner more than Schneider right now. I guess what I'm saying is, if they're down on their best, then it isn't by a lot.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Swans injury list

LTN16 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:As there is no "official' Swans injury list one of their fans bedford put this up:
Yes there is:
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl.php? ... scot=Swans

Nick Malceski - knee ACL - Indefinite
Peter Everitt - knee cartilage damage - Might miss start of season with chronic knee problem.
Luke Ablett - groin injury - Likely to miss round 1.
Jared Crouch - hamstring strain - Likely to miss round 1.
Kristin Thornton - knee ACL - season
That site is not official...and in past years has often been wildly wrong.

The goss has for example that Fosdike had knee surgey on Monday..and if so would not seem to be alikely staterr for Round1.

For Saints it also does not have Ferg injured.....and nothing on Max
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 15 Mar 2008 5:09pm, edited 3 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Even if they have some injuries, they finally have some quality kids pushing for selection. At least a couple of those kids are better than some of those outs. If Schneider counts as an out, then Mattner counts as an in, and with Malceski out, they probably need Mattner more than Schneider right now. I guess what I'm saying is, if they're down on their best, then it isn't by a lot.
Agreed.....so both sides should have fair selected teams for Round1.

Most teams will normally alway have some out....

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

What I find interesting is that Sydney have quite a few injuries now that they no longer have Misson there.

To be quite honest, hadn't even really thought of them as much of a threat this season. I think they'll grind out some wins at home, but I feel they're on the downward slide.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Agreed.....so both sides should have fair selected teams for Round1.
I expect us to win. Sydney traditionally start slow, so that could work in our favour. I believe we actually have a ruck advantage (isn't that a nice change?), so their stoppage-based gameplan shouldn't be as effective.

What worries me is their midfield is looking pretty healthy, and their midfield has a good record against us. I also don't think we have the defenders to cover their still formidable forwards. A half fit Hudghton on O'Loughlin scares me. Sam Fisher taking Barry Hall scares me even more. I don't trust Gilbert on O'Keefe after the preseason. And with Baker out, who takes Davis?

OTOH, I don't think they have the backs to cover our three talls (or even two of them should Gehrig miss). If our midfield can establish some sort of an advantage, then that should go a long way toward winning the match. If we can't get the supply up forward, I don't like our chances. Like I said though, I expect us to win, I believe our midfield is ready to take another step up.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'd much prefer we BEAT a full strength swans side. That way we know exactly which boxes we tick against them !!

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

well if they have those injuries and are in the downward spiral lets give them a good kick in rd1!!!

Go saints in '09!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:I don't trust Gilbert on O'Keefe after the preseason.
After 1 game its amazing how peoples minds on here can change so much. Gilbert beat Scott Lucas two weeks ago !!

And don't go on and say that Lucas didn't kick straight and if he had he would have kicked 4, but he didn't so Gilbert beat him !!

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:I don't trust Gilbert on O'Keefe after the preseason.
After 1 game its amazing how peoples minds on here can change so much. Gilbert beat Scott Lucas two weeks ago !!

And don't go on and say that Lucas didn't kick straight and if he had he would have kicked 4, but he didn't so Gilbert beat him !!
I reckon that's a fair dinkum load of bulldust. I am a huge gilbert fan, but Scott Lucas was the far better player that night. In all fairness gilbert probably needed more support, but he got towled up by Scotty.

Carpe Diem
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert beat Lucas early but he then got on top. If Lucas had kicked to his noramla accuracy he woul have had quitea few more goals. still I am not bagging Gilbo as he is still learning and over the last few years Lucas has becomea truly very good key forward.

As with VS I expect us to win...but ama mite concerned about our lack of key backs.

But elsewhere we have look of quality .

This combined with RL's knowledge of the Swans midfield working plus two good rucks ourselves will I think give us the edge.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

The danger man is definitely O'Keefe, I want a player by his side all night, do we have anbydoy with the engine? how would Geary go at shutting him down from those who have seen more of him?
I am assuming that Blake will get the job on Goodes again?
These guys are no pushovers but I'm still comfortable that we will win...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I'll take 4 points any way we can

didn't see any other side taking it easy when st kilda couldn't field 3/4 of our talent.

if they are down we smash em harder.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

The danger man is definitely O'Keefe, I want a player by his side all night, do we have anbydoy with the engine? how would Geary go at shutting him down from those who have seen more of him?
I am assuming that Blake will get the job on Goodes again?
These guys are no pushovers but I'm still comfortable that we will win...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:What I find interesting is that Sydney have quite a few injuries now that they no longer have Misson there.

To be quite honest, hadn't even really thought of them as much of a threat this season. I think they'll grind out some wins at home, but I feel they're on the downward slide.
So both having Misson and Schneider, as well of course as Lyon in our ranks should mean should smash those dirty, rotten scumbags this Saturday night!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

Reported in the Sunday Telegraph that Tadgh Kennelly injured his shoulder in a practice match between the Swans reserves and NSW/ACT U/18 Rams on Friday night.

The team doctor is predicting he will be right come next week. Here's hoping it takes a week longer than that.........

vacuous space
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:After 1 game its amazing how peoples minds on here can change so much.
I don't think my mind has changed on Gilbo at all. I'd seen nothing before this year to suggest his future was as a key back. While he showed glimpses of ability at the position over preseason, he's shown a hell of a lot more as a running defender.

And after Gilbo had a terrible game playing on Tippett and Burton, I'm concerned about his ability to hold O'Keefe, who I rate much higher than the two Adelaide forwards. He did an excellent job on O'Keefe last year, but he was in excellent form at the time. I don't think he's flying nearly as high right now.

HarveysDeciple

gilbert smashed O'Keefe in sydney last year it must be remembered.

very capable of doing the job.

short memories....

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:
LTN16 wrote:After 1 game its amazing how peoples minds on here can change so much.
I don't think my mind has changed on Gilbo at all. I'd seen nothing before this year to suggest his future was as a key back. While he showed glimpses of ability at the position over preseason, he's shown a hell of a lot more as a running defender.

And after Gilbo had a terrible game playing on Tippett and Burton, I'm concerned about his ability to hold O'Keefe, who I rate much higher than the two Adelaide forwards. He did an excellent job on O'Keefe last year, but he was in excellent form at the time. I don't think he's flying nearly as high right now.
Tippett also beat Sam Fisher and Jarryd Allen as well. Anyone would have struggled to beat Kurt Tippett that night.

FFS have some faith in the kid :roll:

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:

I agree with you in that Gilbert is much more suited to a running back role than a key position role at the moment

But.......

Tippett and O'Keefe are like chalk and cheese. Tippett hardly ventured further than 30 yards out from goal whereas O'keefe takes nearly all his marks outside 50 and up on the wings. O'Keefe is a provider while Tippett is a finisher. O'Keefe is the ideal match up for a running defender like Gilbo.

The Birdman is more similar to O'Keefe but still very different. Will be a completely different match up for Gilbo. Burton is an athletic leaping mark while O'Keefe relies on his motor. Gilbo showed that he could stay with him last year so let's have faith that he'll do the job again on Saturday night!

By the way, I think Tippett could very well prove a very difficult match up for all teams in the future. He's very tall, seems strong, can leap, has pace and a good set of hands, and seemed to be quite adept when the ball came to ground too. The kid has played less than 50 games of footy at any level so you would expect some significant improvement to come as well :shock:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:FFS have some faith in the kid :roll:
I have faith in his ability, I have doubts about his form. I'm not going to assume a victory over a quality forward just because Gilbert had a victory last time out. That seems arrogant to me. O'Keefe's a tough job for anyone. He deserves respect.

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
LTN16 wrote:FFS have some faith in the kid :roll:
I have faith in his ability, I have doubts about his form. I'm not going to assume a victory over a quality forward just because Gilbert had a victory last time out. That seems arrogant to me. O'Keefe's a tough job for anyone. He deserves respect.
Yep, must respect O'Keefe. He provides excellent delivery to Hall & O'Loughlin if he can take marks outside the arc. A quiet day for O'Keefe often translates into a Sydney loss.

Gilbo should get first crack but who are our other options?

Gram? I'd want a better spoiler on O'Keefe.

L Fisher? An option. A couple of inches shorter but plays taller than he is.

Geary? Probably doesn't play tall enough? Haven't seen enough of him to make an informed judgement though.

Dempster would be another option if he weren't injured as would Attard.