Footy on Good Friday? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should football be played on Good Friday?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 60

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
stinger wrote:I'm with spinner on this one...your post was offensive...as it was meant to be....like you..i don't like pple teeling me what i can or can't do..........so i would never do anything that would prevent anyone going to the footy....but you would...wouldn't you. despite what you say.........
sorry Sting, the arguments been resolved, you're a bit late ;)

and i don't understand what your saying, what do you mean i would 'prevent someone from going to the footy'....?
i think i'll need you to elaborate on that one :?
St Fidelius wrote:You are a baiter and twist things to suit your self and a re read of the and thread or are you a complete imbecile ....
you're making youself look silly Fid, i can barely watch anymore..... ;)

you tell me where i said that poster's on here told me i can't do something, and while your at it, tell me who i said these poster's were

if you do this, i will admit my fault, and bow down to your clever and witty insults

here's a hint, it aint gonna happen, because frankly, you're wrong

i would explain why you are wrong, but this would cause (if i used the method you seem to, especially in this thread) me to call you many names, swear alot, and be down right rude (and i'll leave all that to you)

you did get one thing right, i do take alot of things 'as a joke', because this aint life and death, this is an internet forum, so maybe you shouldn't take things so seriously
If you are offended with these so called many names that I have called you well please complain to the mods about my so called abuse to you...

You are a "baiter" and like to stir the pot....

have another read of my posts as I cant be bothered with repeating them with imbeciles that can't bother.......

The_Dud wrote:
stinger wrote:I'm with spinner on this one...your post was offensive...as it was meant to be....like you..i don't like pple teeling me what i can or can't do..........so i would never do anything that would prevent anyone going to the footy....but you would...wouldn't you. despite what you say.........
sorry Sting, the arguments been resolved, you're a bit late ;)

and i don't understand what your saying, what do you mean i would 'prevent someone from going to the footy'....?
i think i'll need you to elaborate on that one :?
St Fidelius wrote:You are a baiter and twist things to suit your self and a re read of the thread or are you a complete imbecile ....
you're making youself look silly Fid, i can barely watch anymore..... ;)

you tell me where i said that poster's on here told me i can't do something, and while your at it, tell me who i said these poster's were

if you do this, i will admit my fault, and bow down to your clever and witty insults

here's a hint, it aint gonna happen, because frankly, you're wrong

i would explain why you are wrong, but this would cause (if i used the method you seem to, especially in this thread) me to call you many names, swear alot, and be down right rude (and i'll leave all that to you)

you did get one thing right, i do take alot of things 'as a joke', because this aint life and death, this is an internet forum, so maybe you shouldn't take things so seriously
If you are offended with these so called many names that I have called you, well please complain to the mods about my so called abuse to you...

You are a "baiter" and like to stir the pot....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

thanks for that, but i don't think there was any real reason to post the same thing twice

to put you out of your misery, when i said "it does annoy me when someone tells me i'm not allowed to do something because of their beliefs" i wasn't referring to anyone in this thread or forum (which seemed clear) but the general public, as has happened in past instances

and just when i thought we were out of trouble, you've done it again ;)
St Fidelius wrote:If you are offended with these so called many names that I have called you well please complain to the mods about my so called abuse to you...
i never once said you "called me many names" or "abused" me....

how many times are we gonna have to repeat this situation, please please please actually read my posts before you reply ;)

and whats wrong with stirring the ol' pot every now and then :D

back on topic, Cowboy summed up the whole issue well in my opinion

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
benengel14
Club Player

cowboy18 wrote:I'd like to see football on Good Friday. It's a great opportunity to use a public holiday to showcase the game and fell an empty void in what can be a dull day. I'd love the saints involved. Given that most major sport play games on Good Friday (even Serie B I think) I don't see why folks would take umbrage at others taking up the chance to watch football.
It's surely only a matter of time until football is played on Good Friday, if there's money to be made - changes generally gravitate towards those outcomes. If trading hours can be adjusted to accommodate the majority, I don't see why the Footy Fixture can't also be adjusted.

Really this is only a matter of numbers in a multi-cultural society, no survey has been done - no one has an accurate idea of the percentage of football-going public who consider this day to be of increased religious significance to the extent where they would be offended.

If we can win a Grand Final on Yom Kippur, and hopefully play footy on the last Saturday of Ramadan (1-30 Sept); why not grab 4 points on Good Friday? It's a personal choice of the players and spectators. No one is forced to go to Penhalluriack's on Easter/Good Friday; but nor should they be prevented.

If people want to buy a screw-driver or watch AFL, I don't see how this gives others the right to deny them. Not that anyone in this thread has tried to do this, speaking from a more general perspective

The Peanut
Club Player

I think that someone one day will come along with a innovative idea that will find minimal opposition in the community generally and then the AFL will look upon it kindly
... especially if it's the powerhose favourite clubs. :wink:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:There shouldn't be football on Good Friday, much the same as there shouldn't be work on Good Friday.

Good Friday is a day of deep spiritual reflection for most in Australia and a day in which I am truly not thinking about football. That's the reason why there is no football on this day.

And no, not in anyway do I even begin to force my personal views on anyone else...but fact is, our calender is structured around this belief as Christianity is the major religion of this country.....
Ok, I'll try and be civil about this.....firstly you say it's a day of deep spiritual reflection for most of us.......do you have any facts to base this on, or just your opinion??

The way I see the community in general, it's not hugely significant in that respect, but maybe most people differ in their views??

Yes, Christianity is the dominant religion and that's why historically there has been no Good Friday Footy, but times change, and religion is way less important now than it was 100 or even 50 years ago, and it's time to move on.

Religion/different religions are fine, as long as they don't impost themselves on regular everyday life, which footy is.

Same argument for showing movies, some shops open, etc, on Good Friday/Xmas day.....what is the difference???

But again, if the decision makers at AFL house are too backward/religion dominated in their views, it will never happen.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Religion/different religions are fine, as long as they don't impost themselves on regular everyday life, which footy is.
For you perhaps...buit many people who are practising (insert religion name here) would mount a pretty solid case that its part of their everyday life as much as footy...and good luck to them

Myself, much as I love footy, I can live without it on Good Friday, but if the Saints were playing Id be there!

I reckon rogerwa might have hit the nail on the head. Good Friday 2010, Collingwood vs Gold Coast..live on Ch 10 with Eddie and Co chest thumping about what martyrs they are giving up a game in Melbourne to promote the greater cause...while their sponsors get mega-coverage of course!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
For you perhaps...buit many people who are practising (insert religion name here) would mount a pretty solid case that its part of their everyday life as much as footy...and good luck to them

Myself, much as I love footy, I can live without it on Good Friday, but if the Saints were playing Id be there!

I reckon rogerwa might have hit the nail on the head. Good Friday 2010, Collingwood vs Gold Coast..live on Ch 10 with Eddie and Co chest thumping about what martyrs they are giving up a game in Melbourne to promote the greater cause...while their sponsors get mega-coverage of course!!!!
I doubt Eddie Maguire would attend football on Good Friday.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Spinner wrote:There shouldn't be football on Good Friday, much the same as there shouldn't be work on Good Friday.

Good Friday is a day of deep spiritual reflection for most in Australia and a day in which I am truly not thinking about football. That's the reason why there is no football on this day.

And no, not in anyway do I even begin to force my personal views on anyone else...but fact is, our calender is structured around this belief as Christianity is the major religion of this country.....
Ok, I'll try and be civil about this.....firstly you say it's a day of deep spiritual reflection for most of us.......do you have any facts to base this on, or just your opinion??

The way I see the community in general, it's not hugely significant in that respect, but maybe most people differ in their views??

Yes, Christianity is the dominant religion and that's why historically there has been no Good Friday Footy, but times change, and religion is way less important now than it was 100 or even 50 years ago, and it's time to move on.

Same argument for showing movies, some shops open, etc, on Good Friday/Xmas day.....what is the difference???

But again, if the decision makers at AFL house are too backward/religion dominated in their views, it will never happen.
Same above, is that based on facts or is that your opinion.

My opinion is that there is a large amount of people that take this day seriously because of the fact that Christianity is the largest religion in Australia. The calender year is structured around Christianity. Other countries would structure their calender years around their most supported religions. And I doubt you would see any competitive sport on their 'spiritual' days.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:The calender year is structured around Christianity. Other countries would structure their calender years around their most supported religions. And I doubt you would see any competitive sport on their 'spiritual' days.
Check out the NRL fixture for round 2...There are two NRL matches scheduled for Good Friday.

The NBA in the USA played three matches on Christmas Day and have scheduled ten games on Good Friday this year.

Why not one for AFL?

Duggie
Club Player

Thank you Spinner.
It is pleasing to note on this thread that we are not alone. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Spinner wrote:The calender year is structured around Christianity. Other countries would structure their calender years around their most supported religions. And I doubt you would see any competitive sport on their 'spiritual' days.
Check out the NRL fixture for round 2...There are two NRL matches scheduled for Good Friday.

The NBA in the USA played three matches on Christmas Day and have scheduled ten games on Good Friday this year.

Why not one for AFL?
So your arugment is to follow and copy other sporting codes from different countries....

.....There hasn;t been footy on Good Friday in the VFL/AFL for over 100 years, and you want to change it because the NBA and the NFL do???

How about maintaining some of Australian football's traditions at the very least?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Why not one for AFL?
So your arugment is to follow and copy other sporting codes from different countries....

.....There hasn;t been footy on Good Friday in the VFL/AFL for over 100 years, and you want to change it because the NBA and the NFL do???

How about maintaining some of Australian football's traditions at the very least?
Not quite my argument...yours was based on supposition without any fact cheking...With little effort, I have shown you two examples of elite sports that play on religiously significant days.

So, based on your logic, I should deduce that your argument is that we should continue to do something just because we have done for the last 100 years.

Football evolves every year. Like it or not. I'd be willing to wager that there was a time when football was not played on Anzac Day. It has now turned into a big event and one of the showcase days of the season.

It's amazing the good that can come, when we embrace change rather than fear it.

BTW, the NRL is not a "different country".

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:BTW, the NRL is not a "different country".
Rugby is an English code so yes, it is from a different country.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

Why not one for AFL?

AFL has many traditions unique to our game - team run throughs, club songs, getting a score for missing a goal etc, etc.

Again I'll reiterate my point - religion is less and less important in Australia, and there don't appear to be many "pracitising" religos out there (and I'm talking all religions here, not just Christianity).

Just a side note - the less impact religion has on society the less likelihood that extemist groups will gain control (but the more motivation they have to seek it!!!)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
...I actually read it as NFL. My mistake.

In a nutshell, you want football to be on Good Friday while a large majority of the population (compared to any other day) would not.

If we reversed the senario and had football on Good Friday, a lot of people would go...but a large majority (compared to any other day) would not.

....So in the interests of this large majority of the population (in contrast to any other day) isn't it just better to please everyone by playing the game on the Thursday, Saturday or Sunday, allowing access for everyone during this one weekend of the fixture?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
The NRL is an Australian entity, last time I checked.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:In a nutshell, you want football to be on Good Friday while a large majority of the population (compared to any other day) would not.
Feel free to post a link to the source of this fact, won't you?
Spinner wrote:If we reversed the senario and had football on Good Friday, a lot of people would go...but a large majority (compared to any other day) would not.
Once again, I assume that you will post a link to the reference you've based this statement on.

Based on your supposition a lot of people would, in fact, attend a game of AFL were it scheduled. On what basis should we deny this many people the option to see a game of AFL?

You could say the same thing about any other Friday night game. Based on a 50,000 crowd, the large majority of Melbournians are not in favour of Friday night football. Given that we have some 3,000,000+ people living in this city, is it right to say that only 1.7% of Melbournians support Friday Night Football?
Spinner wrote:....So in the interests of this large majority of the population (in contrast to any other day) isn't it just better to please everyone by playing the game on the Thursday, Saturday or Sunday, allowing access for everyone during this one weekend of the fixture?
No. This, so called, unproven, large majority of yours should be given a choice as to whether to attend a game of AFL, go to church, quietly reflect their spirituality on the holy day or all three. As I am sure that many Australians do every Sunday.

All I want is a choice.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
riccardo wrote:
The NRL is, yes, but that GAME was founded overseas.

Its like saying soccer is an Australian code because we have the A-League.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

How do the players & officials feel on the issue? After all, they're the ones who have to give up their time to entertain the masses.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

football on good friday is a good thing.

not a fan of any religion.

on the flip side im a big fan of public holidays.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
riccardo wrote:
The NRL is, yes, but that GAME was founded overseas.

Its like saying soccer is an Australian code because we have the A-League.
For the sake of the discussion, Ric, it is not important where the game was founded. I was merely highlighting the fact that an elite Australian sporting organisation holds games on a religiously significant day.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

This is a highly emotive issue.

Good Friday is just about the holiest day on the Christian calendar, and Australia is a majority Christian country with our laws founded on the Christian principal, wether you accept or like it or not, thats the reality.

There is footy on more than half the other Fridays of the year, so we have to take one off, whats the big deal?

You may not like Christianity or religion in general, but disrespecting it is not fair.

If you hate religion so much, don't be so contradictory as to demand public holidays or benefits on Easter, Christmas, etc, these are RELIGIOUS holidays, so you should not be entitled to enjoy them.

Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

I can see both sides of this argument and i have plenty of religious friends.. If the game was at night i don't really see a problem.
If it goes ahead it will upset alot of people but you can't make everyone happy!
Maybe it's something the saints can push for to have or own "Blockbuster" fixtured game, Who knows all i know is that people being religious or not would go at night!

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote: If you hate religion so much, don't be so contradictory as to demand public holidays or benefits on Easter, Christmas, etc, these are RELIGIOUS holidays, so you should not be entitled to enjoy them.
Disagree- they were religious holidays.

The motivations for the likes of Labour Day, Queens Birthday etc. mean little to many "celebrating" those long weekends. Easter is similar for many folk. To many Australians they are now just holidays. Since we don't have the luxury of imposing our beliefs on each other for other holidays (or making them up for convenience) we accept those we're dealt.

And I can't see why a public holiday at the start of footy season can't be used to play a couple of games. It won't infringe on anyone's right to choose what they want to do.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Ric,

I will take it that you are responding to me so let me just clarify some of your assumptions...
riccardo wrote:This is a highly emotive issue.

Good Friday is just about the holiest day on the Christian calendar, and Australia is a majority Christian country with our laws founded on the Christian principal, wether you accept or like it or not, thats the reality.
So why then can I go to the movies, zoo, casino, rugby, etc on this holiest of days?
riccardo wrote:There is footy on more than half the other Fridays of the year, so we have to take one off, whats the big deal?
It's not a big deal, I just don't understand why we can't have the choice to watch AFL or not.
riccardo wrote:You may not like Christianity or religion in general, but disrespecting it is not fair.
Please show me where I have disrespected Christianity or religion in general.
riccardo wrote:If you hate religion so much, don't be so contradictory as to demand public holidays or benefits on Easter, Christmas, etc, these are RELIGIOUS holidays, so you should not be entitled to enjoy them.
Once again, I don't hate religion. Please show me where I have indicated that.
I enjoy these holidays, not for their religious significance but it allows me time to spend with my family.