Footy on Good Friday? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Should football be played on Good Friday?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 60

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Would be a great opportunity for the club. Sadly, i don't think we would be able to get it unless we won the flag or something.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i don't see the difference between Good Friday and any other Friday, except ones a public holiday - woohoo

for those of us who don't believe in fairy tales, let us go to the footy

for those who wanna stay home and wanna (insert whatever is considered 'holy' enough here), fine, no one will make you go to the footy, so what difference is it to you

I know i'd prefer a meat pie at the footy anyday ;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

There shouldn't be football on Good Friday, much the same as there shouldn't be work on Good Friday.

Religious or not, the ones that whinge each year about how non-religious you are seem to only complain for the sake of complaining.

Hand back your public holidays, don't place presents to your loved ones under a tree nor give out Easter eggs if you are so hell bent on not celebrating in something you want to have no involvement in.

....Otherwise zip it. Good Friday is a day of deep spiritual reflection for most in Australia and a day in which I am truly not thinking about football. That's the reason why there is no football on this day.

And no, not in anyway do I even begin to force my personal views on anyone else...but fact is, our calender is structured around this belief as Christianity is the major religion of this country.....

No one seems to complain about not having to go to work on this day, each and every year...

...And don't even begin to try and tip-toe the line on this sensitive issue for some. Ensure your comments are well structured because each and every year a lot (including some above) try to play the naive and ignorant card in an attempt to offend posters of the opposite opinion.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i don't see the difference between Good Friday and any other Friday, except ones a public holiday - woohoo

for those who wanna stay home and wanna (insert whatever is considered 'holy' enough here), fine, no one will make you go to the footy, so what difference is it to you

I just lost all respect for you as a poster mate....

Not because we have dis-similar views...But because you blatantly go out of you way to write comments that you know will offend other people just to cause a reaction.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:i don't see the difference between Good Friday and any other Friday, except ones a public holiday - woohoo

Not because we have dis-similar views...But because you blatantly go out of you way to write comments that you know will offend other people just to cause a reaction.
why are my opinions any more offensive that yours or St Fids...?

why is it offensive for someone to say to a religious person "Jesus is an idiot", but not offensive for a religious person to say to someone "Jesus loves you a died for you sins"?
Last edited by The_Dud on Tue 11 Mar 2008 9:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:There shouldn't be football on Good Friday, much the same as there shouldn't be work on Good Friday.
I can remember when it was illegal for pubs and/or servos to open before 1.00pm on Anzac Day. Times change !!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for not bothering...

Thanks also for the summary of the posts. It clearly shows that your reactions are disproportionate to the comments in the posts.
St Fidelius wrote:You have to be joking......

So, you cannot see the difference in Good Friday and Easter Sunday......

YEAH :roll:
That was your initial reaction to a poster that said that they couldn't understand what the difference between playing footy on Easter Sunday as opposed to Good Friday. Aggressive and confrontational from the off.

I don't think any of us are any the wiser as to why we play on one and not the other.

If this topic is too sensitive for you then perhaps you should stop posting in it.

BTW...Cut out the abuse and abbreviated swearing...it is not warranted and is against forum rules, I believe.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:

You didn't write an opinion...

....You only wrote those comments in order to get a reactions.

Calling a religion a 'fairy tale', have some respect man....no one forces you to believe anything....but the least you can do is have some respect.

And you only mention the meat pie because it goes against a very well know traditional belief.

Don't play ignorant or naive...Your sole intention in your comments above were to show off and attempt to stir certain pots.

Show some respect...at the very least.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Can we please keep this to a footy arguement. The religous arguement has too much potential to get personal and turn nasty !!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Go to you local MP and complain about the religious holidays you receive...

In fact do you have a job???

If you do, and take the holidays without question and don't ever find out why ??

Well then,

Such a small brain inside lives inside a big ego IMO.

Again, I only responded to a posters comments on Good Friday and Easter Sunday and YES there is a difference IMO (because one is a day of mourning where the other is a day of celebration)...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:

Go to you local MP and complain about the religious holidays you receive...

If you do, and take the holidays without question and don't ever find out why ??

Well then,

Again, I only responded to a posters comments on Good Friday and Easter Sunday and YES there is a difference IMO (because one is a day of mourning where the other is a day of celebration)...[/quote]

Think of it this way. You are educating some on here !!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:

why is it offensive for someone to say to a religious person "Jesus is an idiot", but not offensive for a religious person to say to someone "Jesus loves you a died for you sins"?
The same reason (and a touchy example) is why you can't call an aboriginal a black ...anything...on the football field...They are dark, no one can deny that.....its all about respect.

The only thing that I personal get offend by, is the fact that you go out of your way to be offensive.

Its not the words you use or what you write (although it would be for most)...its the clear and obvious intention that you have to say what you say in order to offend people. No other reason.

And I add....This topic can be well debated but posts like yours above (The Dud) that make this topic un-debatable.
Last edited by Spinner on Tue 11 Mar 2008 9:30pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:You didn't write an opinion...

Calling a religion a 'fairy tale', have some respect man....no one forces you to believe anything....but the least you can do is have some respect.

And you only mention the meat pie because it goes against a very well know traditional belief.

Don't play ignorant or naive...Your sole intention in your comments above were to show off and attempt to stir certain pots.

ok i admit, the 'meat pie' bit was a bit of a dig, but it was light hearted in nature, thats why i put the ;) after it

but on that aswell, it does annoy me when someone tells me i'm not allowed to do something because of their beliefs

but as for the rest of the post, hows me telling someone that somethings not true any more offensive than someone telling me thats it is?

and of course my post is my opinion (didn't we have a whole thread on this ;) )
St Fidelius wrote:Go to you local MP and complain about the religious holidays you receive...

Well then,

i will be working this Good Friday, and have worked most Good Fridays that i can recall, same as most of the long Easter weekends in the past

heres an idea for you, how bout stop being so aggressive towards everyone and go out and pick up something for yourself, they call it a clue

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:

ok i admit, the 'meat pie' bit was a bit of a dig, but it was light hearted in nature, thats why i put the ;) after it

but on that aswell, it does annoy me when someone tells me i'm not allowed to do something because of their beliefs

but as for the rest of the post, hows me telling someone that somethings not true any more offensive than someone telling me thats it is?

Come on Dud, explaining why something is not true using mature reasoning is a lot different that proclaiming a certain belief or religion as a 'fairy tale'.

You are allowed to think/believe/say what ever you want, but the 'fairy tale' comment is way beyond the line of reasonable and mature debate.

Fact is the reason there is no football on Good Friday is because the day exists.

Now is this a thread to debate weather the day Good Friday should exist or not? Or is it about weather football should be played on this day?

If you want to begin a thread about weather a certain religion is a 'fairly tale', then go ahead. I wont be responding in it, because I have my beliefs and you have yours. Simply that discussion has nothing to do with me.....I'm here because this structured around football, and surely enough, comments like yours above appear on places like here and bigfooty every year.

...That is why your comment can be viewed, and is viewed as offensive to some.
Last edited by Spinner on Tue 11 Mar 2008 9:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:

St Fidelius wrote:Go to you local MP and complain about the religious holidays you receive...

Well then,

i will be working this Good Friday, and have worked most Good Fridays that i can recall, same as most of the long Easter weekends in the past

heres an idea for you, how bout stop being so aggressive towards everyone and go out and pick up something for yourself, they call it a clue
Here's an idea...

re read the whole thread, did I, or anyone else say you are not "allowed" to do something???

Did I ever say that Football should NOT be played on Good Friday??

Have another read of the thread, any wonder your nik is "The Dud" IMO..

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Come on Dud, explaining why something is not true using mature reasoning is a lot different that proclaiming a certain belief or religion as a 'fairy tale'.

You are allowed to think/believe/say what ever you want, but the 'fairy tale' comment is way beyond the line of reasonable and mature debate.

Fact is the reason there is no football on Good Friday is because the day exists.

Now is this a thread to debate weather the day Good Friday should exist or not? Or is it about weather football should be played on this day?

If you want to begin a thread about weather a certain religion is a 'fairly tale', then go ahead. I wont be responding in it, because I have my beliefs and you have yours. Simply that discussion has nothing to do with me.....I'm here because this structured around football, and surely enough, comments like yours above appear on places like here and bigfooty every year.

ok then, i probably shouldn't have used the word 'fairy tale', and i apologize if it offends you, but IMO that is what it is closest compared to, but that is just that, my opinion

but also its my opinion that stating certain religious events as fact is just as offensive

back to the topic, i think they should play football on good friday, and give people the choice of whether to attend or not, as i can't see how people watching football at all effects those who believe in the day
St Fidelius wrote:Here's an idea...

re read the whole thread, did I, or anyone else say you are not "allowed" to do something???

Did I ever say that Football should NOT be played on Good Friday??

Have another read of the thread, any wonder your nik is "The Dud" IMO..
here's an even better idea

re read my post, did i anywhere say that anyone in this thread told me i'm not allowed to do something... :roll:

obviously you haven't picked up a clue yet, as i recommended

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:Come on Dud, explaining why something is not true using mature reasoning is a lot different that proclaiming a certain belief or religion as a 'fairy tale'.

ok then, i probably shouldn't have used the word 'fairy tale', and i apologize if it offends you, but IMO that is what it is closest compared to, but that is just that, my opinion

but also its my opinion that stating certain religious events as fact is just as offensive

back to the topic, i think they should play football on good friday, and give people the choice of whether to attend or not, as i can't see how people watching football at all effects those who believe in the day
Kool, but i'll repeat, it wasn't what you said that offended me (im not that sensitive), its the hidden intention behind those types of posts.

I believe there should always be choice, but in alignment with the yearly calender....it wouldn't be the best business decision to schedule a match in which a lot of regulars wouldn't attend. Personally...I wouldn't go.

Trust me, I want football every day of the year. But if there is one day I have to go without it, it should be this day.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Footy on Good Friday? !!

Eastern wrote:I know, it comes up every year and I am normally the one who raises it !!

It isn't going to hapen this year but it will hapen at some time in the future, possibly as early as next year. Someone is going to grab it and run with it. If there is to be a Dollar to be made out of it, it might as well be us who makes that Dollar.

I know there is the religous side of Good Friday. I also know that this wears off by mid afternoon leaving most people with NOTHING to do from mid afternoon onwards.

My idea is;

Set up an arrangement with either Richmond or Carlton to adopt and nurture Good Friday footy into an event to rival Anzac Day. The best time for this would be twilight (5.40pm start). The game would have to be at the MCG on a Home-Away basis (home one year-away the next).

NO, we won't get 80,000 the first year but I believe we (us and Rich or Carl) can grow this into a blockbuster within a few years.

I know this topic will divide opinions but I do welcome peoples thoughts

Archie, you could monitor this thread to gauge opinion !!

heathen.........i certainly won't be going to watch footy on good friday.....got that archie........if the saints want to really piss off all their catholic supporters then run with this crap idea..... :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by stinger on Tue 11 Mar 2008 10:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:There shouldn't be football on Good Friday, much the same as there shouldn't be work on Good Friday.

Religious or not, the ones that whinge each year about how non-religious you are seem to only complain for the sake of complaining.

Hand back your public holidays, don't place presents to your loved ones under a tree nor give out Easter eggs if you are so hell bent on not celebrating in something you want to have no involvement in.

....Otherwise zip it. Good Friday is a day of deep spiritual reflection for most in Australia and a day in which I am truly not thinking about football. That's the reason why there is no football on this day.

And no, not in anyway do I even begin to force my personal views on anyone else...but fact is, our calender is structured around this belief as Christianity is the major religion of this country.....

No one seems to complain about not having to go to work on this day, each and every year...

...And don't even begin to try and tip-toe the line on this sensitive issue for some. Ensure your comments are well structured because each and every year a lot (including some above) try to play the naive and ignorant card in an attempt to offend posters of the opposite opinion.

geez...i love you sometimes spinner....not all the time mind you....but sometimes you blow me away with your sensible well thought out posts...... :wink: :wink: :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Can we please keep this to a footy arguement. The religous arguement has too much potential to get personal and turn nasty !!

you gotta be joking...you throw in a hand grenade ..ie...playing footy on good friday......then want to keep iy a footy topic........without mentioning religion.....ffs.......think you haven't been using the airconditioner in your car...must have fried your brains or something.....and you used to be so sensible.....

...look ..i will explain it for the stupid amongst us.... .......nothing...absolutely nothing stops me watching my beloved saints play......not a funeral...not a wedding...nothing......but....if you start playing saints matches on good friday...i would not be going...so for the first time in my life there would be an impediment to me seeing a saints match....there are plenty of others like me too..........

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:

Well then,

i'm with spinner on this one...your post was offensive...as it was meant to be....like you..i don't like pple teeling me what i can or can't do..........so i would never do anything that would prevent anyone going to the footy....but you would...wouldn't you. despite what you say.........

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
here's an even better idea

re read my post, did i anywhere say that anyone in this thread told me i'm not allowed to do something... :roll:

obviously you haven't picked up a clue yet, as i recommended
You are a baiter and twist things to suit your self and a re read of the thread or are you a complete imbecile ....

You have an issue with baiting posters and take poster comments as a joke...

without really reading the whole thread...

The Dud is a good name for you and really fits well with your posts IMO...

keep up the good work :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:I'm with spinner on this one...your post was offensive...as it was meant to be....like you..i don't like pple teeling me what i can or can't do..........so i would never do anything that would prevent anyone going to the footy....but you would...wouldn't you. despite what you say.........
sorry Sting, the arguments been resolved, you're a bit late ;)

and i don't understand what your saying, what do you mean i would 'prevent someone from going to the footy'....?
i think i'll need you to elaborate on that one :?
St Fidelius wrote:You are a baiter and twist things to suit your self and a re read of the thread or are you a complete imbecile ....
you're making youself look silly Fid, i can barely watch anymore..... ;)

you tell me where i said that poster's on here told me i can't do something, and while your at it, tell me who i said these poster's were

if you do this, i will admit my fault, and bow down to your clever and witty insults

here's a hint, it aint gonna happen, because frankly, you're wrong

i would explain why you are wrong, but this would cause (if i used the method you seem to, especially in this thread) me to call you many names, swear alot, and be down right rude (and i'll leave all that to you)

you did get one thing right, i do take alot of things 'as a joke', because this aint life and death, this is an internet forum, so maybe you shouldn't take things so seriously

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see football on Good Friday. It's a great opportunity to use a public holiday to showcase the game and fell an empty void in what can be a dull day. I'd love the saints involved. Given that most major sport play games on Good Friday (even Serie B I think) I don't see why folks would take umbrage at others taking up the chance to watch football.

If people choose to reflect and/or worship, good for them. It's a choice they want to make. I don't understand why people would feel aggrieved if others chose not to reflect, worship etc. - I'd argue that it's an individual choice.

I don't accept the argument above that a majority of Australians believe that it is a significant religious day of reflection - I'd wager that more believe it is a terrific 4 day public holiday. A significant minority do treat it as a quiet day of reflection but as the country grows into a more secular community, there's less mandate to make others follow that route.

Very few Australians genuinely want to actively foist there beliefs on others. Especially after they've tried to.

[/i]

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Hand back your public holidays, don't place presents to your loved ones under a tree nor give out Easter eggs if you are so hell bent on not celebrating in something you want to have no involvement in.
- I don't get Labour Day, Queens Birthday, or Melbourne Cup Day.
- I don't celebrate 25th of december, and go to the lengths of declining presents from everyone.
- I don't "celebrate" easter, but do take advantage of cheap chocolate afterwards :D

As a predominantly Christian (and other similar JC based denominations) nation (at least that's what the politicians want us to believe), I believe that it's fair to respect the beliefs of the majority and not play sporting events on that day. As pointed out above, it is debatable whether or not the majority actually respect Good Friday for 100% religious concern and not just the day off. We will never know, because any and all surveys will be skewed by people not wanting to lose that day off.

What if, however, Bachar Houli who i'll use an example as a well known religious person, not involved with christianity, refused to play on a certain day in september because of some religious day. That's his choice, but should we stop or postpone the grand final because of it?

Incidentally, I find it quite interesting that of my "big four" favourite conversational topics, Religion, Gambling, Drugs and Politics - 2 out of 3 have been related quite heavily to football in recent weeks on this board. And the other has been involved with sport for at least 18 months on a large scale. I'm just extremely pleased that politics have no negative place in sport.