If Adelaide is so fit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If Adelaide is so fit

as the commentators kept telling us, why did we run over them in the 4th quarter?

Why are they percieved to be so fit when they couldn't match it with the Saints, and Harvey, the 45 y.o was outrunning all of the "superfit" Adelaide midfield?

Also why was the great psychologst Niel Craig outtought by the Saints when it came to core temperature management of the players and left the Adelaide players in the heat at qtr and three qtr time?

And another thing. Why can this "great coach" Craig win a big match. Seems to me he may be innovative and a good manager, but lacks a bit when it comes to the crunch. (Sound familiar).

It was obvious that Adelaide in general and Craig in particular wanted to win the NAB Cup. His reaction to the loss in comparision to Lyons reaction at fulltime was telling on where the two coaches are mentally.

Why are these myths on Adelaide and Craig perpetuated?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we are a better side so it can look like we over ran them. When it is only 5 points I wouldnt be having to much of a go at them. Lets be happy for the win. Why would we even care about Adelaide.

JeffDunne

Two things stood out for me in our perfermance last night (and the entire preseason for that matter).

1. Our player management.

2. Our structure and ability to shut down other teams through the centre of the ground.

These two areas have cost us big time in recent years and so far this year we've been first rate.

They are also two areas Adelaide and Craig are supposed to excell in.

IMO you couldn't script a better preseason than the one we've just had.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Yes as Dim Lame kept reminding us in the last qtr - Adelaide is such a fit team and Craig has the team so well drilled yada yada yada (repeat this 3 times)

If they are so fit and well drilled what is St Kilda?? :x

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Maybe we are a better side so it can look like we over ran them. When it is only 5 points I wouldnt be having to much of a go at them. Lets be happy for the win. Why would we even care about Adelaide.
Just asking some questions plugger.

I mean the commentators crapped on about how superbly fit the Crows were, but were run down by the Saints. Shouldn't a superbly fit team, run all over a tiring preseason team in 35 degree heat in qtr4?

I couldn't care less about the result. It was a praccy match, I just want to know why these myths are perpetuated thats all.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Maybe we are a better side so it can look like we over ran them. When it is only 5 points I wouldnt be having to much of a go at them. Lets be happy for the win. Why would we even care about Adelaide.
Just asking some questions plugger.

I mean the commentators crapped on about how superbly fit the Crows were, but were run down by the Saints. Shouldn't a superbly fit team, run all over a tiring preseason team in 35 degree heat in qtr4?

I couldn't care less about the result. It was a praccy match, I just want to know why these myths are perpetuated thats all.
Well I reckon they stayed with us because they are fit. During the season when fitness isnt an issue I would think Adelaide will not even stay with the top sides in most games.

markp
Saintsational Legend

In years gone by we probably would've seen our guys cramping up at the latter stages of a hot game early in the season, but I don't think I saw anyone doing this... did I miss any, or can we take it as a sign of improved conditioning?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Adelaide is so fit

joffaboy wrote:as the commentators kept telling us, why did we run over them in the 4th quarter?
You have just answered your own question :roll: !!

JeffDunne

joffaboy wrote: I just want to know why these myths are perpetuated thats all.
Do you really need to ask JB?

I must admit I do get a chuckle these days when I hear Throbbie Walls discussing St Kilda.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:In years gone by we probably would've seen our guys cramping up at the latter stages of a hot game early in the season, but I don't think I saw anyone doing this... did I miss any, or can we take it as a sign of improved conditioning?
really good point, according the age this morning only one player had cramp and lyon said this was a massive improvement.

I thought our general fitness was the best in a long time, very nice to see them all fit at the end of the game also!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Two things stood out for me in our perfermance last night (and the entire preseason for that matter).

2. Our structure and ability to shut down other teams through the centre of the ground.

These two areas have cost us big time in recent years and so far this year we've been first rate.

Agreed wih the whole post, especially the bolded part.

Played against the Tigers undermanned, three close wins, two inerstate wins, brining in two new rucks, Chrlie Gardiner, and Schneider, great game time for Lenny, Ball, Kosi, and Roo, great experience for the kids.

We probably had our strongest team on the field for years (only four regulars out, G, Max, Goose, and bj) last night, and we got o injuries from the game last night.

Player management has been excellent, bringing on youngsters, getting match time into other players, and sticking to the prearranged 16 interchanges per qtr, etc, culminating in the way the footy management took the team into the roms for qtr and three qtr time, fully exploiting the extra time for the breaks because of the heat.

Really it has been an unexpected, and very pleasing preperation.

Lance or James??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:In years gone by we probably would've seen our guys cramping up at the latter stages of a hot game early in the season, but I don't think I saw anyone doing this... did I miss any, or can we take it as a sign of improved conditioning?
We only had one player cramp......

And yes our conditioning would seem to have vastly improved.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
markp
Saintsational Legend

Cheers, that's a great sign then... there were times in the past when I remember them going down like flies.

The ducks do all seem to be lined up... I don't really expect it, but be great if somehow Goose and BJ could have an impact this year too.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

why did we out/ or over run them?
they had four players who played all 100 percent of the game-- hydration management?
was Craig sticking to his ' previous plan' to see what would happen? testing them out to the detriment of his players and the game result- one of his four game plans he wanted to test. one Crow player only played 7 percent.
the least any of the saints played was 39 percent and the highest 88 percent.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

the male boundry rider (don't know his name) who is obviously a Adelaide local, was writing us off as looking stuffed at half time, while the crows looked barely puffed, apparently

what a tool....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Huzzad
Club Player

At 3quater time they were saying how the saints had had way many more itnerchanges than the crows. For some reason the crows players were playing extensive minutes on the ground without a break. I guess by 4th quater the lack of player management hit them and they ran outta puff.

My other theory is that we are plainly and simply a better team. We deserved the win. Adelaide's kicking was average and at times over-possesive. At the end of the day, the better team won. 37 degree heat or not, good teams still win.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
JeffDunne

The_Dud wrote:the male boundry rider (don't know his name) who is obviously a Adelaide local, was writing us off as looking stuffed at half time, while the crows looked barely puffed, apparently

what a tool....
Should have heard Cornsey before the game.

In his opinion, Adelaide were going to win and win comfortably because even though St Kilda were taking this game more seriously than the Crows, their better preparation and superior player management meant they'd run over the top of us.

Even funnier was his comment that he didn't rate us because we rely on a bloke who's 36!

If you ever need a laugh, listen to the 5AA pre-game show.

Snakeman66
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:why did we out/ or over run them?
they had four players who played all 100 percent of the game-- hydration management?
was Craig sticking to his ' previous plan' to see what would happen? testing them out to the detriment of his players and the game result- one of his four game plans he wanted to test. one Crow player only played 7 percent.
the least any of the saints played was 39 percent and the highest 88 percent.
Craig was hailed as the master tactician.

His coaching on gameday is lacking.

Selection was questionable.

Selected 3 ruckmen.
Griffin 50% Time on Ground, 2 Disp, 17 HO
Maric 43% Time on Ground, 1 Disp, 15 HO
Moran 17% Time on Ground, 2 Disp, 4 HO

We selected 2
King 66% Time on Ground, 10 Disp, 11HO
Gardiner 65% Time on Ground, 9 Disp, 9 HO

Whilst they won the hit outs 38 - 21, their ruckmen were useless around the ground with 5 disposals.(remind you on anyone???)

In a game where the heat was going to be so oppressive, why would you select 3 ruckman with combined game time of 110%.

Apart from Armitage 39% and Allen 42%, all other players had 55% or more game time. They had 7 players with less the 55%(Campbell 7%, Moran 17%, Knights(injured) 21%, Mackay 35%, Maric 43%, Bassett(injured) 48%, Griffin 50%). Apart from the injured players, the other players were the young players. Our young players had game time of Gilbert 87%, Harvey 66%, Jones 59%, Geary 56%, Allen 42%, Armitage 39%

On bigfooty they are calling for his head. Another game day failure.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Snakeman66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:the male boundry rider (don't know his name) who is obviously a Adelaide local, was writing us off as looking stuffed at half time, while the crows looked barely puffed, apparently

what a tool....
Corey Wingard I think

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote: Even funnier was his comment that he didn't rate us because we rely on a bloke who's 36!
if you look again at the last 10 minutes then sadly i think he might have a point

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Two things stood out for me in our perfermance last night (and the entire preseason for that matter).

The main thing for me, was our ability to score when we looked gone.

In the past 2 years, when we looked flat and you couldn't see where a goal was going to come from - we didn't find one.

This pre-season, several times we've looked stuck yet managed to score still. The Essendon last quarter and last night's 3rd quarter (the last 10 mins) an the 4th too.

Porbably mostly mental, which is a great sign.

Huzzad
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
JeffDunne wrote: Even funnier was his comment that he didn't rate us because we rely on a bloke who's 36!
if you look again at the last 10 minutes then sadly i think he might have a point
Seeing as we beat Geelong without him and his average game against the Bombers, I hardly find that valid.

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Seeing as we beat Geelong without him and his average game against the Bombers, I hardly find that valid.
we can win without him, sure, but his last 10 minutes in the nab cup grand final were pretty telling, imo.

when a grand final (of sorts) was there to be won it was interesting that harvs was the one to step up to the plate.

i've noticed that dal santo is doing that sort of thing a bit more often now, too, hopefully a sign of things we will see more of in future
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 09 Mar 2008 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huzzad
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Huzzad wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
we can win without him, sure, but his last 10 minutes in the nab cup grand final were pretty telling, imo.

when a grand final (of sorts) was there to be won it was interesting that harvs was the one to step up to the plate.
I agree with your honest oppinion, and thankyou for specifying that it is yours. :P

Yeah he was great for us against Adelaide for sure, not saying anything against Harvs. Just saying that the commentator was obviously basing his honest opinion on the game infront of him, as opposed to the team's perforamance as a whole with or without him.

In my honest oppinion I believe the journalist, if he had called the Geelong game, would have believed we were relying on Kosi to win games and without him were nothing...in his oppinion.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Huzzad wrote:In my honest oppinion.
that is now banned on this forum