Greg Bum what a soooook......this is award winning...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RBnW
Club Player

Greg Bum what a soooook......this is award winning...

Greg Bum the poor OLD Age writer who cant get an interview with Dave Misson having a shot at us today......what is he on..... :?: :?:
What I cant believe is that when you havnt got a story...... :!: you can write a story..... :?: about not having a story......... :!: and then get it published by the Age...... :oops: :oops:
Does anyone else think he looks like an spoiled brat and a big Sooooook.....
Rohan Connolly of the same paper has a whole article on Misson....which he got through talking to Schnider.......Hello Greg, Greg, Greg are you there Greg.... :oops: :oops: Greg.......Greg, hello..... :shock: :shock:

Can someone let Greg know that Elvis is still dead..... 8-) , Rudd is Prime Minsiter.... :P , and the Berlin Wall is down, yes down :shock: ......the world has changed Greg....changed.....Rohan has worked it out he has the story Greg, the story...... :idea: :idea:

And it shows that our club is doing things well.....Misson is an edge that we have over the others and we should share the secrets carefully and when we are ready........ 8-) 8-)
Surely Greg Bum doesnt think that by writing stuff like he has today he will be welcomed with open arms the next time he calls for an interview with anyone.....not just at the saints but at any club........ :? :?
I think the club has done well so far this year keeping us up todate....which is again not what the poor OLD Age Greg thinks...... :roll: :roll:
You know things are working well when the scribes are writing this sort of stuff.....I think this is so funny........when was the last time we had an article from Caroline Wilson..... :?: :?: Last year every second day and this year....... :roll: :roll: Well done, indeed well done..... :lol: :lol:

here is the link http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/a ... 70826.html

Our best is yet
to come......
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Excellent article that is spot on.

Greg Baum is an excellent writer and pretty good journo, and this is no exception.

Don't like the fact that the Saints have copped it in the media? Bad luck ... it happens.

Totally agree with him regarding the handling of the media by AFL clubs, and the role of the media in the AFL in general.

Timely and impressive article.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
RBnW
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:Excellent article that is spot on.

Greg Baum is an excellent writer and pretty good journo, and this is no exception.

Don't like the fact that the Saints have copped it in the media? Bad luck ... it happens.

Totally agree with him regarding the handling of the media by AFL clubs, and the role of the media in the AFL in general.

why is it an impresisive article in your opinion... :?:

Our best is yet
to come......
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Because it's giving us an insight into the way the AFL media works.

That's very rare, and I've never read anything else about it.

I had no idea as to the extent of the communications departments at football clubs or the restrictions clubs place on access to their players.

Makes me more sympathetic to football journalists ...
It is paternalism gone mad.
Agree with him here. AFL clubs are "control freaks" now as much as our politicians are ...

Perversely, the media is largely to blame for that ... but it's a bit of a vicious circle.

It's an impressive article because:
(1) It discussed an issue that I'd never read about
(2) It gave an insight into the world of the media and the relationship between journo's and the AFL clubs ... again, something rare
(3) It was well written

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I find the article, whilst insightful, a little perplexing.

Here is Baum basically complaining that Football Clubs (including our own) have employed staff to make life difficult for reporters who are trying to write articles about them.

Why have Clubs gone down this track?

Because reporters write such wonderful pieces about them?

Reporters are employees of the newspapers. Their primary role is to write articles that will cause as many people as possible to read their employers' product and therefore make more money for the newspapers.
Whilst 'good news' stories are popular sensational, salacious and 'hatchet-job' stories are much more effective in seeling papers.

So basically Baum is decrying the fact that the Clubs are trying to make it more difficult to write these sensational, salacious and 'hatchet-job' stories about them?

RBnW
Club Player

Frankly I think this is crap.....Greg Bum writes....

"Further, these anti-media departments mostly fall under the auspices of marketing departments. This puts media relations into a murky area; it implies clubs are no longer interested in communicating with their supporters, but selling to them: guernseys and stubby-holders in merchandising, spin and lines in media."

He is clearly annoyed that I as a member get an SMS from the club that Rooie and Dal have resigned before he does or an interview with Bally through the web site about not running for captain....and that Rohan got a story about how Misson thinks and works through talking to Schnider....I dont want to wait to read about stuff in the paper I want to know about it now, when it happens, that doesnt mean that it cant have content and detail from the club....

There are about 1600 media covering AFL and about half are in the print area.....so who has created the structure that a club needs to have....the media have forced footy clubs to add staff to these roles or it would be open day....

What I am pleased about is that as a club we are obviously saying yes and no to requests and we are not in the papers and radio every day, but as a member I still feel that I am getting better information from the club, I like the SMS's and the video interviews we have been doing, just as much as I like the member emails and reading the paper.

The world has changed and that in part has been driven by the media and thier demands for content, instant content....Greg needs to get himself a web site.....www.Bum.com.au/OLD Age/grumpy

Our best is yet
to come......
JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

Baum is not critcising SKFC specifically, but all AFL clubs. It is an opinion piece and he openly states his arguments. It's up to the reader to form their own opinion.

My opinion is that clubs have the right to choose whether or not their personel get interviewed. Picking and choosing the questions and the angle of the proposed article? I think that should be left entirely to the writer. The interviewee can always make no comment in response to certain questions.

I think if the club has found a competitive edge with Misson then they should do everything they can to keep that edge from being duplicated by other clubs. If Baum had interviewed Misson, chances are that he would not have gotten any real information about our set up other than fluffy generalisations like "we are putting systems in place to maximise player performance" or "we have individualised players' training regimes and are monitoring each player carefully to prevent avoidable injuries".

Blah, blah, blah.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:There are about 1600 media covering AFL and about half are in the print area.....so who has created the structure that a club needs to have....the media have forced footy clubs to add staff to these roles or it would be open day....
We (the public) have created that structure.

We drive what the media does when we consume what the media gives us.

We have forced footy clubs to add staff to these roles .... because we have such an insatiable appetite for football news.

RBnW
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:
RBnW wrote:There are about 1600 media covering AFL and about half are in the print area.....so who has created the structure that a club needs to have....the media have forced footy clubs to add staff to these roles or it would be open day....

We have forced footy clubs to add staff to these roles .... because we have such an insatiable appetite for football news.
We would still buy the HSun, Age or whatever paper is the main paper in your town or city even if there were not that many jouralists on thier staff,
we are a growing population......sureley you dont just buy the paper for the footy news.... :?:
This article is also the changing landscape of the media, its not the clubs fault that we all want information quickly, SEN is on 24 hrs a day so Newspapers are having a harder time getting exclusive or interesting content.....if you are saying that reading about a story, which is about not being able to get a story is interesting then I am happy for you and we can all have an opinion which should be respected.... :?
Its not a footy story it is about Greg being able to winge in public, even if he has written it well....its still a winge.... :oops:
Who will Dave Misson talk to when he does do an interview....not Greg :idea: :idea:
Now thats not journalism, thats just the way the world works....Greg has just made his job even harder to do not just at the Saints, but everywhere in sport.....or do you think anyone who reads that will be saying come on in Greg and here you are you can have access to whoever you want so that you dont have a winge publicly about how we have treated you in the Age.... :lol: :lol:

Our best is yet
to come......
aussiejones
Club Player

Jeeeeez .......ease up

Baume is not important to anyone except himself .
Load of wingeing crapola

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Excellent article that is spot on.

i am suprised owen... but no , shouldn't be should i.......the guy's a typical whinging scum journo........can't get his own way so bags the club.....anyone with any sense manages the media scrum the way the saints have done...or would you prefer to go back to the days of butarse and the dumb comments he regularly made to the press....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:Frankly I think this is crap.....Greg Bum writes....

"Further, these anti-media departments mostly fall under the auspices of marketing departments. This puts media relations into a murky area; it implies clubs are no longer interested in communicating with their supporters, but selling to them: guernseys and stubby-holders in merchandising, spin and lines in media."

He is clearly annoyed that I as a member get an SMS from the club that Rooie and Dal have resigned before he does or an interview with Bally through the web site about not running for captain....and that Rohan got a story about how Misson thinks and works through talking to Schnider....I dont want to wait to read about stuff in the paper I want to know about it now, when it happens, that doesnt mean that it cant have content and detail from the club....

There are about 1600 media covering AFL and about half are in the print area.....so who has created the structure that a club needs to have....the media have forced footy clubs to add staff to these roles or it would be open day....

What I am pleased about is that as a club we are obviously saying yes and no to requests and we are not in the papers and radio every day, but as a member I still feel that I am getting better information from the club, I like the SMS's and the video interviews we have been doing, just as much as I like the member emails and reading the paper.

The world has changed and that in part has been driven by the media and thier demands for content, instant content....Greg needs to get himself a web site.....www.Bum.com.au/OLD Age/grumpy
spot on mate...spot on...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:

don't really agree with you....who created all the heat ..and kept pushing the same line.......between the aussies and the indian cricket teams.......the press that's who.......if iut had ended in violence...and it still may......they would wipe their hands of it and blame the crowds....and piss poor aussie behaviour....like they are all ready

RBnW
Club Player

stinger wrote:
RBnW wrote:Frankly I think this is crap.....Greg Bum writes....

spot on mate...spot on...
Stinger.... :oops: :oops: I am flattered.... :D :D

Our best is yet
to come......
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Football clubs have become so secretive, suspicious and precious as to make Stalin's Russia look like Glastonbury.
Suck it up, I too am disappointed that we don't get to hear more from the club but if that extra information would have to come with the cost of giving opposition teams too much information I am more than willing to hear nothing until AFTER we win the flag...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Clear case of sour grapes from a writer who can't write a negative story about us with the evidence the previous administration freely handed out.

Just make it up like The Orstrayan does.

RBnW
Club Player

riccardo wrote:Clear case of sour grapes from a writer who can't write a negative story about us with the evidence the previous administration freely handed out.

Just make it up like The Orstrayan does.
Greg Bum....must be felling like a real dill today 8-) ....Schnieder was the lead story and 2 pages later he is saying the club want talk to me :roll: :roll: ....maybe he is still unhappy about us using his family name in our slogan last year "Believe or Bum".... :oops:

mabye he is another one who just used to call Rod and get whatever he wanted....... :roll: :roll:
Where has Caro gone......... :!: :!:

It all indicates it is working and working better than previous years.... :lol: :D

Our best is yet
to come......