Potential selection problems...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:While Gilbert can go forward....and as a swingman will be handy...to me he is showing everything you want in a modern backman...

He can tackle
He has good pace
He likes a run and bounce...and combines this with good dodging
Is a handy spoiler...and will get better (his early start against Lucas was very good...and with experience he will get better)

He can there be very good defensively.....while is also very attacking.
no argument with any of that srr. a very good and versatile player.

worth remembering that he can swing foward if it starts getting a little stagnant though and if charlie is not kicking enough goals.

nicola69
Club Player

Following the round 1 theme... I cannot believe the negativity about X and Blake. Find it hard to see that Schneider has cemented a spot. I really think Gehrig is not up to it (pity, he's been fantastic - a show in himself) but age has caught up). Milne is at the cross roads with the emergence of others - he plays too much for himself. C-Gard appears to be a real find and would be hard to leave out. McGuire will take a lot of time to get properly fit I think.
It will be a long season and there will be plenty of opportunities for most of the squad - both to gain a spot, or to lose form or favour or cop an injury. I notice that not many of the pundits here are starting Harvey - I wonder how close to the fringe he is at this stage of his career, given the apparent eveness in the squad now.

R1:

B: Gilbert, Max, Raph

HB: Gram, S Fisher, L Fisher

C: Dal, Hayes, Monty

HF: Armo, Rooey, C-Gard

F: Judo Jones, Kozi, Schneider

R: King, Blake (Goodes matchup), X

I: Ball (fitness), Harvey (age), M-Gard, Fiora

I hope I haven't made any obvious selecton blunders. No doubt you will give it to me if I have...

Are we getting ahead of ourselves? We still have the bank cup to win!!!

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

nicola69 wrote:I really think Gehrig is not up to it (pity, he's been fantastic - a show in himself) but age has caught up).
disagree. i think he still has enormous value to a side that struggled to kick winning scores last season.

bear in mind that he'll get the third best tall opposition defender as the best two will have their hands full trying to contain roo and kosi.

proven goal-kickers such as fraser (and milne for that matter) are a rare commodity and should not be shelved without a really good reason.

fraser is only 32, is extremely durable (his current injury notwithstanding), is still quick, and hasn't lost any of his legendary strength.

brisbane full forward alastair lynch (another strong man) played in two or three premierships between the ages of 32 and 35.

we have the tall forwards to stretch opposition backlines beyond their mediocre capabiities and we should not miss the opportunity.

charlie gardiner (or who ever gets the tall/"medium" slot) should have an absolute picnic on the opposition's fourth best tall defender and the crumbing opportunities for milne and our other small forwards are tantalising
nicola69 wrote:F: "Judo" Jones
good one. that might stick.

btw, do you think he can find the goals often enough to play as a small forward? I'm all for it if he can but i need to be convinced with cold, hard goals. same goes for c. gardiner.

i do, however, like both of them as players.

many reliable and consistent avenues to goal is what we need, imo. no more kick-it-to-roo.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 08 Mar 2008 12:07am, edited 1 time in total.

The Bluff
Club Player

Lot of good posts here.

My two pence worth.

Milne goes out for schneider.

Clarke brothers in we need midfield rotations

G-Train, Kosi, Roo form an unstoppable forward combo

Blake and Baker our taggers.

Even our defence is starting to look bloody good. Gilbert, S Fisher and hugdy would contain most key forwards. I think BJ and Goose will have to force their way back in through the 2's.