Basicly we need the money- Herald sun.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Basicly we need the money- Herald sun.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
Saints bank on cup ride
Jon Ralph | March 04, 2008 12:00am

ST KILDA chief executive Archie Fraser says the club's guaranteed NAB Cup prizemoney will help ensure the club returns to profitability this season. Fraser will announce a $414,027 loss at the club's annual general meeting on Thursday night, a figure dramatically affected by several one-off costs.

The club wrote down costs associated with the aborted Moorabbin development, and included potential payouts to former coach Grant Thomas and retired forward Aaron Hamill.

It meant the club's operating profit of $198,757 became a loss, and that St Kilda was the only one of 16 AFL clubs not to record a profit.

Fraser said yesterday the club was already budgeting for a profit this year, and the club's coffers will be boosted by either $380,000 for a win or $176,000 for a loss against the Crows on Saturday.

Fraser said the club was in good financial shape.

It is debt-free, has boosted football department revenue this year and hopes to return to the $1 million profits of recent seasons.

Fraser and new president Greg Westaway will paint a rosy picture to members, including an administration that is finally stable, plans for the club's relocation to Frankston and a cashed-up football department.

Thomas and the club are set for a three-day civil trial after they could not agree on his settlement terms.

St Kilda's financial report states that "legal proceedings were brought against the company during the year by a former employee.

This matter is being strongly defended and has a potential maximum liability of $278,000.

Meanwhile, the Saints will hold a rare open training today where they will assess how many of their stars will play on Saturday night.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
my les foote
Club Player

Have they included this in the income projections?

NAB and Toyota Million Dollar Incentive for 'cups double'

The AFL club that can win both the NAB Cup and the Toyota AFL Premiership will pocket one million dollars as their reward.

NAB Chief Executive Officer Australia Ahmed Fahour, Toyota Australia Senior Executive Director - Sales & Marketing David Buttner and AFL Chief Executive Officer, Andrew Demetriou today launched the 2007 NAB Cup, which will kick off on the weekend of February 23 - 25, taking matches all over the country during the competition and culminating in the final on Saturday March 17.

Mr Demetriou said the million dollar reward, made possible by NAB and Toyota's ongoing support, would be paid to any club that wins the NAB Cup and goes on to claim the Toyota AFL Premiership in the same year - a feat last achieved by Essendon in 2000. The winning club will receive $500,000, with the remaining $500,000 to be distributed among the players.

Mr Fahour said the reward was about backing clubs and players with the aspiration to dominate all year.

"This is a logical extension of our partnerships with the AFL and Toyota. It reflects the way we work with our customers - providing support to help people reach their goals," he said.

"Whether it's kids learning skills at NAB AFL Auskick, NAB AFL Rising Stars, or our heroes in the NAB Cup, we are proud to back the AFL and everyone who loves the game each step of the way."

Mr Buttner said that the 'NAB and Toyota Million Dollar Incentive' would be great for football.

"This incentive is a true partnership between Toyota and NAB who, like all Australians, love football.

"One club and team may walk away at the end of 2007 with an extra million dollars. That will be great for that club and its players and their supporters. And, as an incentive for all clubs, it will be great for the game and all football fans."

Speaking from Darwin, James Hird, who captained the last team to win both competitions in 2000 said: "It's a fantastic incentive and makes it really interesting as both the NAB Cup and Toyota AFL Premiership Season unfold.

"I wish we had it back in 2000. Maybe they can make it retrospective!"

NAB Cup matches and the NAB Challenge would again be taken to areas that do not regularly see AFL football, with games to be played in Cairns, Darwin, Launceston, the Gold Coast and Canberra through the NAB Cup and Mildura, Mount Gambier, Narrandera, Alice Springs and Casey Fields on the eastern outskirts of metropolitan Melbourne to host matches during the NAB Challenge.

http://www.nab.com.au/About_Us/0,,85116,00.html

Win it for HIM!
aussiejones
Club Player

Hypothetically wouldnt the $500,000 spread amongst players breach the salary cap ?

saintm
Club Player

aussiejones wrote:Hypothetically wouldnt the $500,000 spread amongst players breach the salary cap ?
From memory, the $500,000 to the players is provided outside of the salary cap.

Also, can someone please explain why the payout to Aaron Hamill is listed as "potential". I thought that his retirement had freed up salary-cap space as all his entitlements were paid under last year's salary cap limit.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
aussiejones wrote:Hypothetically wouldnt the $500,000 spread amongst players breach the salary cap ?
From memory, the $500,000 to the players is provided outside of the salary cap.

Also, can someone please explain why the payout to Aaron Hamill is listed as "potential". I thought that his retirement had freed up salary-cap space as all his entitlements were paid under last year's salary cap limit.
Salary Cap space and actual $$$$$ are two entirely different things !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Basicly we need the money- Herald sun.

saintbrat wrote:St Kilda was the only one of 16 AFL clubs not to record a profit
let's hope this is just a one-off thing.

wouldn't want to end up like the kangaroos. millions of dollars in the red and facing extinction.

imo extinction is what will happen to clubs who can't pay their way.

the kangaroos should have taken the gold coast offer when it was there

PLUGGER14
Club Player

my les foote wrote:Have they included this in the income projections?

The AFL club that can win both the NAB Cup and the Toyota AFL Premiership will pocket one million dollars as their reward.

NAB Chief Executive Officer Australia Ahmed Fahour, Toyota Australia Senior Executive Director - Sales & Marketing David Buttner and AFL Chief Executive Officer, Andrew Demetriou today launched the 2007 NAB Cup, which will kick off on the weekend of February 23 - 25, taking matches all over the country during the competition and culminating in the final on Saturday March 17.

"One club and team may walk away at the end of 2007 with an extra million dollars. That will be great for that club and its players and their supporters. And, as an incentive for all clubs, it will be great for the game and all football fans."

Is this the case for 2008?

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I guess we will be better off next year, but not happy losing money because of the incompetant and short sighted Kingston Council and to pay off ParasiTomas and Mr 2 Weeks.

But the bright side is, we are good enough now without those downsides that if we win, we will be back in the black again.

Just on that,if we do win, please PLEASE remember to smile this time.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintbrat wrote:St Kilda was the only one of 16 AFL clubs not to record a profit
let's hope this is just a one-off thing.

wouldn't want to end up like the kangaroos. millions of dollars in the red and facing extinction.

imo extinction is what will happen to clubs who can't pay their way.

the kangaroos should have taken the gold coast offer when it was there
Geez, you should work for the media. Talk about jumping straight to a doomsday line of thought.

The Saints operated with a surplus last year. Only one-off payments caused that to be a loss.

We massively boosted our football department spending at the same time.

And yet Archie is still confidently predicting, regardless of the NAB Cup, a profit for 2008.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Oh When the Saints wrote:The Saints operated with a surplus last year. Only one-off payments caused that to be a loss.
Which thank God we won't have to worry about that again.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:The Saints operated with a surplus last year. Only one-off payments caused that to be a loss.
Which thank God we won't have to worry about that again.
as long as we learn from the kinston debarcle and the bad mismanagement with the GT situation (the way it was handled opened the club up to trouble down the track, no matter which side you fall into).

The end of the years finacial results will be interesting. After so much more has been spent on and offfield staffing they will need to bring in more additional new income to post a profit. If we do it will be a VERY good sign

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:I guess we will be better off next year, but not happy losing money because of the incompetant and short sighted Kingston Council and to pay off ParasiTomas and Mr 2 Weeks.

But the bright side is, we are good enough now without those downsides that if we win, we will be back in the black again.

Just on that,if we do win, please PLEASE remember to smile this time.
if there's ever a forumite that represents the past eat their own after we're done with them mentality it is you.

bet u had nothing but positives to say while they were at the club

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

The one thing ill never worry about, while the blokes still kicking, is knowing that the clubs financially secure.

Lin Fox will always have our back regardless.....and it does help a little bit more when Moorabbin Oval happens to be situated right near Brighton, Sandy ect. Which means that we have a strong supporter base in that area.

And we all know it ain't cheap 2 buy a nest on that side of nepean highway!!!

I guess i consider us lucky 2 know our financial future is secure.

GrumpyOne

The Saintsational Man wrote:The one thing ill never worry about, while the blokes still kicking, is knowing that the clubs financially secure.

Lin Fox will always have our back regardless.....and it does help a little bit more when Moorabbin Oval happens to be situated right near Brighton, Sandy ect. Which means that we have a strong supporter base in that area.

What are you on about Man?

Lindsay didn't put his money in last time he "bailed us out", I doubt whether he'll do it again.

And we're moving to Frankston remember? So what is the relevance of a strong supporter base in Brighton?

And the reference to the cost of land?

Strange post.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote: And yet Archie is still confidently predicting, regardless of the NAB Cup, a profit for 2008.
that's good to hear. i'm old enough to remember the early 1980s when we were bankrupt and had to enter a scheme of arrangements to survive as an entity.

clubs who go broke in future won't be so fortunate i fear.

all i'm saying is i hope that the people who run the club never again forget the bottom line.

i had issues with RB as a president, most of them regarding the GT sacking.

however for keeping us in good shape financially his management was first rate and i had full faith in him in that regard.

i don't know enough about the new board to be able to make a judgement on them, so i'm not throwing any stones.

but i trust that they will not ever spend more than we can afford
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 04 Mar 2008 3:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: i'm old enough to remember the early 1980s when we were bankrupt and had to enter a scheme of arrangements to survive as an entity.
I'm not.

And that's the point.

Why should we let our thinking be beholden to the actions of those before us?

It's like people who live their life based on the expectations of their parents, or where they came from in terms of family and socio-economic status.

If we live in fear of bankruptcy then we'll never make progress.

What's the status quo? St Kilda are a debt free and profitable organisation.

Time to build on that. Who cares about what happened in the past?

Let's keep going forward.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Why should we let our thinking be beholden to the actions of those before us?
you don't, but just be wary of the lessons of history.

GrumpyOne

Oh When the Saints wrote:Who cares about what happened in the past?
There's an old saying OWTS, that those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:The one thing ill never worry about, while the blokes still kicking, is knowing that the clubs financially secure.

Lindsay didn't put his money in last time he "bailed us out", I doubt whether he'll do it again.

And we're moving to Frankston remember? So what is the relevance of a strong supporter base in Brighton?

Strange post.
U know exactly what i mean.....supporters with money can't be considered a bad thing.....hence if we ever have troubles it could be a massive help if we have supporters who can afford to help out.

GrumpyOne

The Saintsational Man wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Strange post.
U know exactly what i mean.....supporters with money can't be considered a bad thing.....hence if we ever have troubles it could be a massive help if we have supporters who can afford to help out.
If I knew what you were on about I wouldn't have asked the question.

I don't think we are any better off with rich supporters than most clubs, and definately behind Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon in average net worth of supporter base.

my les foote
Club Player

PLUGGER14 wrote:
my les foote wrote:Have they included this in the income projections?

Is this the case for 2008?
This suggests to me that it is:
Mr Demetriou said the million dollar reward, made possible by NAB and Toyota's ongoing support, would be paid to any club that wins the NAB Cup and goes on to claim the Toyota AFL Premiership in the same year

Win it for HIM!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

MLF, that is optimism at it's best :D :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saint08
Club Player

The Saintsational Man wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:

Strange post.

Pratt put his money in, Lindsay did not. When we were tin ratling during the most recent SOS campaign run by Andrew Plympton, to survive, Lindsay was not there bailing us out. He is firm on the position that the club has to be independently financially stable. That is why he didn't put his own dollars in when president, or in the sos campaign. I don't blame him. He is entitled to his beliefs and to do whatever he wants with his money. But we cant expect to relax and expect wealthy supporters to bail us out. I see that of the 5 wealthy Roos supporters, only one seems prepared to actually loan the 2mil that all 5 promised Brayshaw...

We have to trade profitably, but Rod Butterss - till the end - kept forecasting another million dollar profit for 07. But he accounts show that at 31 October (BEFORE the 500,000+ write offs) that we only made $160,000. I'd like to know what happenned there....?

I am happy for a low profit forecast for this year, as long as the new board show us more revenue growth, because I just want us to spend what we have, to maximise the chances of turning the "riewoldt" years into a flag. I need one in my lifetime!!!!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can someone/anyone who goes to the AGM please raise the issue of the $160K operating profit?

I can't make it, but this is a big issue as saint08 alluded to.

It's a shame the journo's aren't smart enough to question Archie in depth on this matter.

Our revenue base is SHYTE, let's not forget that fact!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint08 wrote:I just want us to spend what we have, to maximise the chances of turning the "riewoldt" years into a flag. I need one in my lifetime!!!!!
agree. spend what we have.

no less but certainly no more