I've got a feeling we'll get up next week but....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I've got a feeling we'll get up next week but....

If we don't i won't be too disappointed.

Here's why.

Remember back in 2005 when we played Freo in that horrible game at Subiaco, known as "Sirengate" We had four injuries in the final quarter, failed to score a goal and lost the match, thereby ending our top two hopes and putting our top four hopes in jeopardy.

Next week we raped the lions by 139 points and went to Footy park and knocked off the minor premiers in a game dubbed "Harvey's game"

After the freo game, the press were all over us like s*** on a pig. "Saints are gone, no chance of a flag, blah blah blah....." after the adelaide win, there was an ugly picture of bloody Mike Sheahan pursing his equally ugly lips saying "Can we make up" or something equally lame and pathetic.

The on agian off again relationship of the press and St.Kilda gives me the irrits. Anyway, to the point.

Call me superstitiuous (and therfore pathetic because superstitions are all ridiculous IMO) but when the press likes St.Kilda, we fail. When they HATE us, we come back and make them say "Whoa, maybe we were wrong."

I want to fly right under the radar. Tough to do from a pre-season grand final berth but say we lose by about 40-50 points. I don't think they'll still be as impressed. I also don't want to come out and win the first 10 or 12 games. I don't mewan I will be angry if we do, I'll be thrilled although I highly doubt it will happen. I mean, I would like us to start slowly, maybe win 6 or 7 out of our first 10 and have a really good run home to set ourselves up for finals.

However, the boys seem to want this. I bet they want it more than Adelaide too. We have a good young side which has plenty of talent. We also have a good side full of our regular players ready to take on the opposition and prove themselves. And of course we have our harvey who doesn't need to do anything to impress us. $350,000 would be a great launching pad for the season, but even if we lose, we'll still get $160,000, we'll still have that great depth and we might just be able to fly under the radar and surrise a few teams this year.

Here's hoping for a good game.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

De Boss will stick to de plan. If we win, so be it, by by gawd we'll give a contest.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I'd love a win in Adelaide anyday.....i reckon it'd be great 2 start this year.....with;

4 wins in a row
The pre-season cup
And a full list to pick from come round 1.

If that all happens.....it would be fantastic!!!

And the even greater thing....

Our added depth this year means, depending on who were playing each week, we have more than 22 blokes to pick from.....thats if every1s healthy.....

Now thats AWESOME!!!

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

that'd be whispers in the sky

sirengate was 06 in tassie

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Glad someone's on the ball with recent history, i too swore blind that sirengate was in tassie. Was totally confused as to what history we were hoping to repeat itself.
Another thread mentions that we're playing the same 4 teams in the pre season comp in the year we won it. This does not mean we will now go onto win 10 games in a row.

Hopefully we'll do better but the Geelong game is a toughie

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Hey guys just a stat to consider, if we win next week we will have won 11 and a half out of our last 15 games, aswell as given 26 players some good experience...
As well as made a tidy profit... I want us to win but not at the expense of injury, I want us to go all out but only within reason...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:that'd be whispers in the sky

lol it's kinda sad that we have code names for the various times the AFL has (incert naughty word) up. Or there has been a problem at a game.

Carpe Diem
sainter35
Club Player

Saint Corin wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:that'd be whispers in the sky

lol it's kinda sad that we have code names for the various times the AFL has (incert naughty word) up. Or there has been a problem at a game.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

In all honesty, as long as the men that need to get a run, get a run, and the men that should be rested, are rested, then the result of the game isn't of too much concern to anyone outside of the accounting department of St. Kilda and Adelaide.

Of course you want to go out there and win games of footy, and as much as everyone is talking this event down, it really is just about getting some run, match fitness, and game smarts into players before the huge kickoff in round 1.

I'd be happy to have this treated like any NAB cup (and by extension, NAB Challenge) match, only we don't have to travel to Perth, only to Adelaide - and that's gotta be a bonus worth beating essendon for. It also means the Bombers have to travel to Perth, because Adelaide got up.

I love Dally best

All players expect to win whether it's the NOOB cup or the 1st round. Superstition is for those that have no belief in themselves. If you know the truth then that's all that matters.

rexy
SS Life Member

Beating Adelaide in Adelaide also gives the list something to draw on if it is up against the same hurdle in a regular season or finals game again this year. No doubt in my mind that at what ever level of competition you play at, knowing you won last time will help you to beleive you can do it again. Therefore the more teams you beat last time out the more teams you beleive you can beat next time up. That is why Geelong is such an important scalp to have in the NAB cup also.

Maybe this year?
aussiejones
Club Player

"as long as the men that need to get a run, get a run, and the men that should be rested, are rested, then the result of the game isn't of too much concern to anyone outside of the accounting department of St. Kilda and Adelaide. "

NO INJURIES , is all I ask.

Of course a win would be great ......but I think slipping under the radar ...well too late for that.

Its always difficult against a partisan Adelaide crowd over there.

Our focus is still Round 1 and the real season..

sarah 2
Club Player

there is another omen as well. 2 out of the last 3 years the summer olympics have been on we have won the pre season cup
1996 we won
2004 we won
2008 ?

GO SAINTS
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda and Essendon have shared the pre-season trophy in the last 3 leap years ...

1996, 2000, 2004 and now 2008 - can the Saints get up?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Winmarvellous
Club Player

I hope we hit the season running, and don't have to play catch up for the rest of the season. I prefer playing from the position of strength, and don't really believe in this "making a run at the finals talk".

aussiejones
Club Player

"St Kilda and Essendon have shared the pre-season trophy in the last 3 leap years ...

1996, 2000, 2004 and now 2008 - can the Saints get up?"

Didnt know Dennis Commetti was a Saintsational member !!!!!
His sort of trivia