will ross and co stick tough

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

will ross and co stick tough

as benengal14 said in another thread
I think the cash is good, and I think Ross Lyon will do the smart thing, and continue to be as disciplined as he has been with line-ups, and match-time/rotations off the bench.
will the lure be enough to vary from the
- players only playing two games,
players only playing so many quarters,
players being given the pressure to build on-
young guys left out there to soak up the feeling and the tough minutes,

or will they stick tough and work for Rd 1- 22-

or will there come a point mid game when they may say- ok lets put he big guys back on?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
benengel14
Club Player

Just listened to a clip from the the post-match press conference (clicked on a link by saintbrat provided in another thread)
"keep in the back of our head round 1, because no one really remembers pre-season do they...I'm not going to keep my job [on the basis of] nab cup"
Sportal Clip -- Post-match press conference

I think Ross Lyon would stick to his beliefs even under a lot of pressure, and while the extra $190,000 is nothing to sneeze at - it wouldn't be close to compromising those beliefs.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

We need to win this for two reasons, confidence and Membership

Lets take it seriously we need to, its not that we have been flushed with past success

Before Im 85
super dooper
Club Player

benengel14 wrote:Just listened to a clip from the the post-match press conference (clicked on a link by saintbrat provided in another thread)
"keep in the back of our head round 1, because no one really remembers pre-season do they...I'm not going to keep my job [on the basis of] nab cup"
Sportal Clip -- Post-match press conference

I think Ross Lyon would stick to his beliefs even under a lot of pressure, and while the extra $190,000 is nothing to sneeze at - it wouldn't be close to compromising those beliefs.
At the same time, we need to play all, if not most of our players who are fit, we cant protect them forever, and what a perfect opportunity in a final and get some gametime before the real stuff begins

fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:We need to win this for two reasons, confidence and Membership

Lets take it seriously we need to, its not that we have been flushed with past success
it's also $300k or so isnit it?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

If there's one bloke who wouldn't diverge from his chosen course under pressure it is Ross Lyon ...

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:If there's one bloke who wouldn't diverge from his chosen course under pressure it is Ross Lyon ...
yep it appears so

see this article

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/ ... lyon-44115#
NAB Cup not the priority: Lyon
1/03/2008 9:56:10 AM
Paul Gough
Sportal
Related Links
Saints down gallant Bombers
Lyon downplays NAB Cup final appearance
St Kilda coach Ross Lyon has vowed not to let the Saints' appearance in next week's NAB Cup final interfere with his preparations for the start of the home-and-away season.

Lyon used his superstars sparingly during St Kilda's thrilling three-point semi-final win over Essendon at Telstra Dome on Friday night.

The Saints reached their second pre-season decider in five years despite not only going into the game without key forwards Fraser Gehrig and Justin Koschitkze but also their three best defenders in Max Hudghton, Matt Maguire and Sam Fisher.

In addition, star midfielder Luke Ball sat on the bench for the entire first half before finally making his first appearance of the season in the second half while co-captain Nick Riewoldt was rested for the final term despite the closeness of the scores.

Lyon vowed to take a similar cautious approach against either Adelaide or Hawthorn in next Saturday night's grand final despite the fact there is a trophy at stake.

"Obviously there is another competitive game to get through now and we will have a strong focus on that but we have got to keep in the back of our head round one," he said

"No-one really remembers pre-season do they?"

"I am not going to keep my job winning the NAB Cup, am I?"

Lyon said he would consider bringing back Hudghton and Koschitzke, both rested against the Bombers, for next week's grand final but would not risk any player if they are not 100 per cent fit having lost Gehrig to a calf injury during the quarter-final win over Geelong.

"It (losing Gehrig) heightens your awareness and we held our line tonight (in not giving senior players too much game time regardless of the scores) and we let the kids get some game time instead."

Lyon was delighted with the way his youngsters stood up under pressure on Friday night, praising second-year player David Armitage for his coolness in converting the winning goal from a set shot in the last minute.

"Armitage is a strong inside player who has got his fitness levels up and he is trying to create an opportunity for himself," he said.

While delighted to be through to the NAB Cup grand final, Lyon admitted his team was lucky to beat the Bombers - particularly with the free-kick paid to Armitage which led to the winning goal when Essendon youngster Angus Monfries was penalised for holding the ball just 20 metres from goal.

"You do need a bit of luck and we got a decision that went our way," he said of Armitage's last-minute winning goal.

"You feel for young Monfries but sometimes you need a bit of luck over the course of season but it balances out."

times we coughed and spluttered a bit with our ball use, to see the dash of the young guys and to see them taking the game on was really positive," he said.

TwoTowers
Club Player

Have you heard about the current controversy over Paul Roos telling players not to kick goals and the Swans taking lots of time getting interchanged players back on the ground? The Swans were the absolute long-shots with the bookies to win the NAB Cup as they have never ever won a NAB Cup match. I imagine that much of this philosophy would have rubbed off on Ross Lyon. And I believe that is a good thing for teams who are serious about a real flag.

When you boil it down the 'NAB Cup' is simply a cut-throat 4 round competition and should be treated as such.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

There will be only two teams capable of winning the $1 million bonus for winning the NAB Cup and the Flag.

You get $300k for the NAB CUP, about the same for winning the flag plus a mill bonus.

That is something to just think about.

We are in it, might as well try to win it.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think Ross might have even had one eye on next week when he was developing strategies for this game. Leaving Dal & Joey at HF for most of the night is an example of why I am thinking this !!

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

De Boss's approach has got us this far, and he has kept his eye on the main game. He's given youngsters a chance and given the senior players valuable game time. And, hey, it's worked.

This bloke can coach, be in no doubt. Whichever way he wants to go next week is fine with me. As the insiders at Moorabbin are now saying (and if anyone comes back with "source" I'll get all apoplectic in word) he can coach, the players now get him and what he's about, and they understand the game philosophy he works to.

We are going to be a damn good side. Ross De Boss is taking us there. The players know it, the staff know it and we know it.

Next Saturday will be what it is. It ain't the main game. Whatever happens we will be competitive - that's what RTB's game plan is all about. As Nate Buckley said after we poleaxed the Tiggers is Round 1 of this fiasco, "with St.Kilda it's now more about how, rather than who".

Good call I thought, and captures RTB's attitude perfectly.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Noones mentioned the number one reason......

Do it for Banger!!!!!

Before Im 85