Won't play R1 !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Rix is gone, Fiora is gone, Blake is a possibility (not because he was terrible tonight or anything) and Raph is very unlikely...
I saw so little good from Raph tonight, choosing to punch instead of take an uncontested mark?!?! holding jumpers, hospital passes, the guy really needs to improve his decision making, X on the other hand was brilliant, this could be his break out year...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Rix is gone, Fiora is gone, Blake is a possibility (not because he was terrible tonight or anything) and Raph is very unlikely...
I saw so little good from Raph tonight, choosing to punch instead of take an uncontested mark?!?! holding jumpers, hospital passes, the guy really needs to improve his decision making, X on the other hand was brilliant, this could be his break out year...
So your reason for Blake is?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Raph played well the week before though .... consistency in his game is clearly missing, but that will come with more experience and match fitness.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
ThomasR
Club Player

Get off CJ's back. He's having a crack. I'd rather him attacking the ball and shanking disposals causing 50/50 situations rather than handballing beautifully to a 3 on 1 hospital situation and backing away from any contest waiting for the cheap possie - or maybe not even wanting the pill at all. Yes Fiona I'm looking at you.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

CJ is a really tough one. Gets so much of it but disposal really does let him down. I don't reckon you'd want him in best 22, but very good quality as a back-up midfielder, especially given the injury troubles of Lenny Bally and god forbid Harves.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:CJ is a really tough one. Gets so much of it but disposal really does let him down. I don't reckon you'd want him in best 22, but very good quality as a back-up midfielder, especially given the injury troubles of Lenny Bally and god forbid Harves.
One thing about CJ...is that he is improving.

Another valuable point abut CJ is that he can win a ball off an opponent....a very valuable trait.

Yes his disposal is not the best....but I would imagine that RL will be thinking long and hard about including him because of the pressure he can exert......

Plus his pace is attractive as wel...for the saints are stilla slow team.

Three games ina row now he has wona lot of ball...and hada high tackle count........but yes with mixed disposal...but perhaps not as bad with his disposals as many would have it.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Rix is gone, Fiora is gone, Blake is a possibility (not because he was terrible tonight or anything) and Raph is very unlikely...
s*** like him going to ground on the HFF when he went to pick up the ball because he thought he was going to be tackled.

That Neagle bloke was then allowed to snap an easy goal.

Therefore the reason is: Not good enough.

...How did you rate Milne's game tonight?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Raph played well the week before though .... consistency in his game is clearly missing, but that will come with more experience and match fitness.
Raph did play an unbelievable game the week before.

Seriously, the bloke looks like he is going to be every bit of a defender. Just taking time. (And I have been one of his biggest critics)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
s*** like him going to ground on the HFF when he went to pick up the ball because he thought he was going to be tackled.

Milne was OK. He kicked 2. Tackled as good as I have seen him. Will play round one and if he is good enough will continue to play. And if you read the other guys comments he aid it wasnt about Blakes game tonight but he still may be dropped.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Milne was OK. He kicked 2. Tackled as good as I have seen him. Will play round one and if he is good enough will continue to play. And if you read the other guys comments he aid it wasnt about Blakes game tonight but he still may be dropped.
I thought Milne was pretty much non-existent.

Snapped a goal given to him by NDS. The other was from a chest mark (by memory)

I feel the game has evolved way too much for a forward his size.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I thought Milne was pretty much non-existent.

Snapped a goal given to him by NDS. The other was from a chest mark (by memory)

I feel the game has evolved way too much for a forward his size.
And I feel your basis is not worth reading. Good night.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

In a similar manner to barks4eva and Rix, I can't respond to your comments on Milne anymore Spinner.

You are unable to analyse him objectively IMHO.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Clinton Jones is like a cow caught in the middle of a busy highway - just doesnt seem to know which way to turn - but when the traffic is clear runs like hell

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:In a similar manner to barks4eva and Rix, I can't respond to your comments on Milne anymore Spinner.

You are unable to analyse him objectively IMHO.
Exactly.

Because I don't believe he is a player just playing bad games.

I throughly believe he is currently just a below average footballer.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I thought he did some very good things tonight, but IMO we have the depth and just so many good players looking for a spot I can't see him making it anymore, his occasional jobs just don't do it anymore, especially with Goddard back, we will have a superior utility, better ruckman, better taggers, and better defenders, I just can't see where he will go...
But then that's just my opinion...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Interesting to hear everyone having a crack at CJ's disposal - and yes, quite a few times he turned it over but then often chased his own stuff up and regained the pill - at other times he DID dispose of the ball accurately - more positives than negatives IMO - far, far better than others who have already been mentioned here and clearly aren't good enough. He was initially a mature rookie listed player, how many of those have gone on to become great players? I think we can count ourselves lucky that for an ex rookie, we have great back up for our midfield, which at times will need more pace injected.

The one player that has not been criticized for his continuous poor disposal is Gram. He just doesn't look at all and bombs away similar to how Matt Connell used to when he played at the Crows........Blighty nearly killed him for doing it .....

Thought Blake played well down back and cops heaps on here, but his courage is spot on, made a couple of bad errors but if you don't risk you don't get rewarded either. Not too many players finish a game without errors, and if they did, you would wonder if they were going in hard enough. Saved more goals than he cost us.

Allen looks like a steal at number 59 a couple of years back and looks a likely type.

So things are definitely on the up as long as the medical gods remain on our side.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I didn't see a lot of reason to promote CJ based on last year's performances. He seems a hell of a lot more comfortable this year though and has had an excellent preseason. He's never going to be a great kick, but he seems to know that. His ability to run and pressure the ball carier is excellent, and he can also find the ball himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a game in round 1 on current form.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
benengel14
Club Player

Saint_in_SA wrote:
The one player that has not been criticized for his continuous poor disposal is Gram. He just doesn't look at all and bombs away similar to how Matt Connell used to when he played at the Crows........Blighty nearly killed him for doing it ......
That was very frustrating to watch, did it 3 times in a row (1st Qtr), looked very flashy in finding space evading opponents, then without any foresight as to the potential target pumped the ball 50 odd metres. Hopefully, they address this post-match, and it just happens to be excusable pre-season form.

bungiton
SS Life Member

CJ is being barbecued in here for reasons I find completely too difficult to comprehend.

The comparison with Gram is pretty much spot on. For a few seasons Gram had the same percieved decision making problems. Last night a lot of the times CJ WON the ball, usually around the hb line, his first instinct was to look up the ground, then a little gallop looking to pass off laterally by hand or try to find a little chip pass.

We do play a flooding style of footy now, I see it as a bonus the guy is looking and not simply bombing it long to our forward line, chances are he's had a look and noones home or there isn't a decent option so he tries to get the ball running through the corridor. Possession of the footy is the most important aspect of footy now.

His second efforts were amazing last night, one passage of play saw him start the play off HB with a handball only to reappear with a possession and kick into the forward line from between wing/HF, to finally crumb the pill in the forward fifty to snap at goal for a point. The result was a little disappointing but the endeavour throughout that play was brilliant.

His kicking is picked on but during the first two games he gave off a couple of excellently timed chips to players in space that resulted in easy marks and goals.

How much of our play is set up with either a Gram or Sammy fisher run from defense? To have a guy so willing to bust his guts to chase and tackle and be a play maker is a bloody good attribute in footy. skills are one aspect of footy that can be learnt as you go, attitude and endeavour are something that needs to be ingrained from day dot.

Remembering back to a certain red head that couldn't kick for s***, little Jack Daniels, skills retarded to say the least but I'd pick him first most weeks.

People seem to magnetise to players for whatever reason and hate them with a passion, Rix, Raph, whoever, these guys never have a chance because to please their detractors playing a good game is simply not enough, to them it will never be the amount of team oriented 100%ers or passages of good play they are scrutinsed for it will always be the one or two mistakes they make that judges their game.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
Mr X from the West
Club Player

bungiton wrote:CJ is being barbecued in here for reasons I find completely too difficult to comprehend.

The comparison with Gram is pretty much spot on. For a few seasons Gram had the same percieved decision making problems. Last night a lot of the times CJ WON the ball, usually around the hb line, his first instinct was to look up the ground, then a little gallop looking to pass off laterally by hand or try to find a little chip pass.

We do play a flooding style of footy now, I see it as a bonus the guy is looking and not simply bombing it long to our forward line, chances are he's had a look and noones home or there isn't a decent option so he tries to get the ball running through the corridor. Possession of the footy is the most important aspect of footy now.

His second efforts were amazing last night, one passage of play saw him start the play off HB with a handball only to reappear with a possession and kick into the forward line from between wing/HF, to finally crumb the pill in the forward fifty to snap at goal for a point. The result was a little disappointing but the endeavour throughout that play was brilliant.

His kicking is picked on but during the first two games he gave off a couple of excellently timed chips to players in space that resulted in easy marks and goals.

How much of our play is set up with either a Gram or Sammy fisher run from defense? To have a guy so willing to bust his guts to chase and tackle and be a play maker is a bloody good attribute in footy. skills are one aspect of footy that can be learnt as you go, attitude and endeavour are something that needs to be ingrained from day dot.

Remembering back to a certain red head that couldn't kick for s***, little Jack Daniels, skills retarded to say the least but I'd pick him first most weeks.

People seem to magnetise to players for whatever reason and hate them with a passion, Rix, Raph, whoever, these guys never have a chance because to please their detractors playing a good game is simply not enough, to them it will never be the amount of team oriented 100%ers or passages of good play they are scrutinsed for it will always be the one or two mistakes they make that judges their game.
Agree Bungi. I thouight CJ was terrific tonight. HE IS VERY FIT. He is also QUICK which is an attribute we lack a bit as a team.

An ability to run down an opponent and cuase a turnover seems to have a huge impact on team morale and CJ has the ability to do just that.

Should play off the bench in Round 1.

Rix and Fiora NOT IN BEST 22.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
Violent Stool
Club Player

Re: Won't play R1 !!

Huzzad wrote:
35...LEGEND wrote:
Give me Clint Jones any day...knows what havin a crack is all about.
Seemed everyone but me was bagging Clint Jones only a month ago...Can I finally say...."Told you so?"
No.

The season hasn't even started yet.

You can say 'I told you so' sometime in September if you like.

How far down the rabbit hole do you really want to go?
saintlee
Club Player

hehe.......it is bit early to be talking delistings! Its not even the start of the season yet and your writing blokes off! Come on seriously............

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Jones was pretty frustrating Friday night, when he had the ball on the HB line and turned around in a circle, I was not pleased at all.

BUT he will come good, i believe he can.

Grammy wasn't great on Friday, but it was his second game back and he played pretty well against Geelong, so we'll see.

Rix, Blake - GET OUT OF DEFENCE RIGHT NOW. :evil:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:If skills were that important then Dean Rioli would have won a couple of Brownlow Medals.

Work ethic, chasing, tackling, winning the ball, pace and footy smarts are all assets that CJ has.

A team has to accommodate the weaknesses of it's members ... that's the whole bloody idea of teamwork.

You want the sum total of the team = win. We have done that with CJ playing.
Lets run through the other aspects of CJ's game that you have mentioned above.

Work Ethic
- Well thats a real 'nothing' aspect that cant be measured.
Tackling - Good, until he wins a free which he undoubtedly coughs up.
Winning the Ball - Yep, until he has to get rid of it.
Pace - Can 'brilliantly' run with the ball....until he has to get rid of it.
Footy Smarts - ...Rightio...More explanation needed I reckon.

So basically all of those aspects of CJ's game that you mentioned above result in CJ POORLY disposing of the ball. IE Causing a turnover or putting another under a lot of pressure.

And except for a tackle that causes the ball to become loose and falls to another St.Kilda teammate, he is next to useless.

Why? Because he cant dispose of the ball.

But you want to keep him in the team because he has good work ethic and good footy smarts. What does this ethic and smarts result in? Good disposal?
concur

he sold dal santo, fiora and a couple of others regulation hospital handpasses.

and thats when he's NOT kicking it directly to the opposition or out on the full.

his disposal is still pretty tragic.

23 possessions? how many of them hit their targets....

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:

An ability to run down an opponent and cuase a turnover seems to have a huge impact on team morale and CJ has the ability to do just that.

yep, no better player at creating turn overs than CJ in the team >< and its like a reverse blessing ><

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!