More Proof That Barassi Has Lost It......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

More Proof That Barassi Has Lost It......

Actually I reckon he lost it ages ago with his hypocritical views on Plugger at St Kilda v Plugger at Sydney.

Anyhow, here's his "dream"

:roll:

Should put his money where his mouth is and nominate the other 2 teams he inevitably wants playing out of Sydney - as he is directly opposed to any more than 18 teams.

(Source: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/f ... 42847.html)

Four AFL teams for Sydney, says Barassi
February 28, 2008

AFL legend Ron Barassi, who spearheaded the push for a national competition, wants four teams in Sydney long-term but is against the league's plans for an 18-team competition.

"My dream is to have four teams in Sydney and I hope we are at that stage in another 50 or 100 years," Barassi said at the launch of the book, Icons of Australian Sport — Ron Barassi.

But on his 72nd birthday, the former Swans coach said he was against the AFL's plan to expand the competition to 18 teams by as early as 2012.

Barassi re-affirmed his stance that North Melbourne should have moved to the Gold Coast, claiming it would be very hard for it to survive at Arden Street.

AAP

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Lost it ???????????

or ???????????

Grabbing a headline so that he can flog his new book :roll: :roll: !!

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:Grabbing a headline so that he can flog his new book :roll: :roll: !!
I think he's been flogging something different for a long time now!

markp
Saintsational Legend

I encountered the man in real life (years ago) and believe him to be barking mad. Or at least as the 12th man says as Ritchie to Max Walker "gee you're a bit f'd in the head sometimes...."

Ice Wolf
Club Player

markp wrote:I encountered the man in real life (years ago) and believe him to be barking mad. Or at least as the 12th man says as Ritchie to Max Walker "gee you're a bit f'd in the head sometimes...."
But sometimes their's wisdsom in the ramblings of a mad man.

If we have to find more teams to move to Sydney, the Northern Sububs of Melbourne are a bit crowded, North, Essendon, Carlton, and Collingwood

I think we're fairly safe in the south, the bulldogs in the west. Geelong in well Geelong. Melbournes kind of safe just being called Melbourne. Hawks and Richmond could have a bit of trouble if Barrassi has his say All that saves the 'big' 3 is their names and supporter bases. Althoguh at least hes not totally silly he's projecteing 50 or so years for this to happen

GrumpyOne

Dissenting voice.

Not about Barrassi's mental faculties...... a couple of chops fell off his barbeque when he was coaching North......... but four teems out of Sydney in 50-100 years time would IMHO be a distinct possibility, and eminently sustainable.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Certainly possible... what you'd be banking on is AFL eventually becoming more popular than Thugby in Sydney?

50-100 years predictions are tough... Bribane (and Melbourne) may have bigger populations than Sydney by then.... or we could all be under water! :wink:

Duggie
Club Player

Barassi turned his back on certain Melbourne clubs years ago, probably from the time he moved to Sin City. This should get him a pat on the back from Dimwit. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
ctqs
Club Player

markp wrote:Certainly possible... what you'd be banking on is AFL eventually becoming more popular than Thugby in Sydney?

50-100 years predictions are tough... Bribane (and Melbourne) may have bigger populations than Sydney by then.... or we could all be under water! :wink:
Yeah, I reckon water polo could be the sport of choice (necessity?) at the MCG by then.
As for Barassi, he was calling for a national competition as early as 1977, when he it should also include teams north of the border, with players earning the grand sum of $30,000 a year! (Yes, that's NOT a typo, $30,000 a year, which is what I think the top World Series Cricket players signed up for)
Having said that, Don Bradman went to the VFL in 1970 or 71 and said it should include Port Adelaide and Norwood in the competition because they were too strong for the local comp.
Mad or visionary?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

I'm a fan of Barassi and his left of field thinking.

I think he's one of the more fascinating AFL identities of all time. Yeah I didn't agree with him when he attacked Plugger in '94 and I was even more mad when he went and traded for him just a couple of months later, but his contribution to football is just about unsurpassed.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Was a highly relevant figure in the 1970s, but not so much anymore. His Sydney tenure kinda showed that the game had moved past him in a lot of ways. He did recruit well, though...unfortunately for us.

If someone is willing to do their research on the Zanity group, they'll find out what some of his business partners are really like...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.