Blake. Why hes in our best 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Then, by definition, if we have our full list available with no gaps, Blake has no place in that team.
If we had a list with 22 star players who could never get injured or lose form, then yes, we would have no need for Blake. However until we find those 22 magical players, it is extremely unrealistic to think that there will be a time where our side is completely injury free and superb in every area of the ground.

mischa
Club Player

Re: Blake. Why hes in our best 22

CURLY wrote:Watched the replay of the Geelong game again and three individual efforts from Blake show why hes in our best 22.

A/ Stood his ground under a hospital pass from Geary on the wing with extreme preaure bearing down on him. He could easily of pulled out let the ball be punched out of play and waved his arms around Rocca or Richo style at the young kid but didnt.

B/ Backed back flat out into an oncoming Cameren Mooney and earned a free kick deep in ther forward line.

C/ Ran flat out at a oncoming player and made a inspirational smother.

If Blake played at Collingwood he would be claimed as inspirational and in the running for captain as hes every bit as good as Maxwell, yet many here bag him for his awkwardness and no nonsence approach. Coaches know that flags are won on the backs of Blakes character.
Excellent post. He's always been a good, solid player. Too many posters up themselves to think any different :shock: :roll:

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i've always thought blake a very good and underrated player for the simple reason that there are few guys as big as him that are as mobile and durable with such exceptional endurance.

might lack a little in finesse at times but makes up for it with his sheer workrate.
I'd love to hear from Blake about how frustrated (if at all) he was with being played so badly out of position. ie as a ruckman when he just isn't.

I love his workrate and his endurance, but I do cringe sometimes when he has the ball.

No denying his effort though.

I like the "Selleys" line he dropped the other week - the gap filler.
blake himself considered himself a ruckman - i remember a reporter asking him where he saw himself in the team now that we have michael rix (or cain ackland, whoever we had just drafted) and he was very quick to snap back i plan to continue being a ruckman, as though he had been offended

if hes the gap filler id like to know what the gaps are...i think every position on the ground can be better played by others than blakey
I hear ya Bot but when was the interview?
It was during the preseason of when either Ackland or Rix had just been drafted, many were saying that we now had two clear ruckmen in Ackland/Rix and Koschitzke so Blake would need to play elsewhere

Someone asked blake where he was aiming to play for the season and his answer was something along the lines of "same as last year, in the ruck."

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Bot.

So it was when he was being played by GT as a ruckman, which he never should be unless the #1 doesn't make it to a boundary throw in or bounce.

Not doubting you, but would love to speak with him now about it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:that criticism applies to a number of players on the list.

the reality is you have 7 million or so to spend, and with that you have a look at who your no.18 to 25 players are.

people tore shwarz a hole on the forum for getting thrashed by tarrant, the reality is schwarz was probably on $80k and tarrant on 400K

start comparing blake to no.s 18 to 25 on other lists and he compares quite well.

the fact he held cousins down for 1/2 a game is a remarkable testament, cousins is a million dollar player and blake on 1/8 of that. it would be a coaching error OR a lack of anyone better available that resulted in that continued match up.

as for cousins, I note that he has withdrawn from teh celebrity boxing bout when it was mentioned that he had to have a drug test prior....

perhaps the real mistake was NOT shooting blake up with drugs at half time... :roll:
Nice post Dan, summed up exactly how Blake should be assessed. I think we're lucky to have him, certainly Top 30, and when I look at players at other clubs ranked 20 to 30, I think Blake is great value.

rexy
SS Life Member

The beauty of having Blake in the side is that he can play in such a variety of positions on the ground from last line of defence to the half forward line and any possy in the centre square. The question is,is he good enough at any of them to be selected if we have a fit well balanced line up available? Time and injuries will tell.

For me he is an average footballer who I admire greatly!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this year?
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Blake is a great backup and handy to have on the list, but I think all being well he wouldn't play week in week out, but this is the saints so or being well doesn't happen much.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Mr X from the West wrote:Blakes problem was illustrated n the weekend when he got the ball in space on the wing. He started to run forward then realised he was being chased on would be run down so he stopped and looked for support. By the time support arrived he was only able to get off a half arsed handball which was partly smothered and put his supporting Saints player under enormous prssure. We had to go back about 50 metres to relieve the resulting presure.

Thus an attacking move was lost completely. Can't afford that stuff against good teams.
...by good teams I would assume you are including geelong?
as you were watching Blake "half arse" his way down the wing, were able to see what was on offer up the field? No leads by the forwards, geelong flooding cover, running into the wind so only short passes were viable? Which of these "half arsed" decisions by Blake did you eliminate from the vantage point of the armchair?
It reminds me of a post on saturday from someone ranting about how Rix is a hack because he missed his shot on goal, I bet the poster failed to notice that all but two of our points were at one end of the ground into the wind.

Seeya
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Then, by definition, if we have our full list available with no gaps, Blake has no place in that team.
If we had a list with 22 star players who could never get injured or lose form, then yes, we would have no need for Blake. However until we find those 22 magical players, it is extremely unrealistic to think that there will be a time where our side is completely injury free and superb in every area of the ground.
I agree with what you've said. However, isn't the title of this thread "Blake. Why hes in our best 22"?

Hence, my quoted text stands true. IF we have our BEST 22 available, Blake is not in that team.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Excellent OP. Sums up the good side of Blake, winning the ball, playing his role and presenting. He's frightening with the ball in his hands in a close game, but at least he doesn't go missing.

Biggest reason I'd consider Blake in the 22 is this: At this point, for all our debate on here, Lyon hasn't dropped him once since coming in. Perhaps he will, the list spot is certainly under pressure, but given the flexibiliy, it's definately Blake's spot to lose, and I will believe he's lost it when I see him dropped.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford