Youth or Experience

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

Youth or Experience

Come round 1 what would you rather see? Trying to put a best 22 on paper is a difficult thing, pressuming everyone is available the first 14 or so are quite easy to pick, it is after that that you start weighing up the Birss's, L Fishers, Fioras, Milnes and Blakes etc. against the Gearys, Armitages, Raph Clarkes and Joness etc.

I for one have always been a fan of bringing in some youth. I thought that the length of time we left Powell Pecket and Thompson running around was to our detriment. Not saying that they should have been delisted earlier, just think that in some important games we chose them ahead of some younger guys who COULD have had more impact. Having said that I would have thought that Voss was a safe best 22 player last year and it didnt turn out to be so.

Now we have seen some of our young guys have a decent hit out it will be intriguing to see how coach Lyon and his team balance the side. In the first half of the year you would hope to see a number of guys given a chance, in the second half of the year will it be a Geary, Armitage or Steven that we are cheering on. Or will the more experienced guys get the nod?

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Youth or Experience

rexy wrote:Come round 1 what would you rather see? Trying to put a best 22 on paper is a difficult thing, pressuming everyone is available the first 14 or so are quite easy to pick, it is after that that you start weighing up the Birss's, L Fishers, Fioras, Milnes and Blakes etc. against the Gearys, Armitages, Raph Clarkes and Joness etc.

I for one have always been a fan of bringing in some youth. I thought that the length of time we left Powell Pecket and Thompson running around was to our detriment. Not saying that they should have been delisted earlier, just think that in some important games we chose them ahead of some younger guys who COULD have had more impact. Having said that I would have thought that Voss was a safe best 22 player last year and it didnt turn out to be so.

Now we have seen some of our young guys have a decent hit out it will be intriguing to see how coach Lyon and his team balance the side. In the first half of the year you would hope to see a number of guys given a chance, in the second half of the year will it be a Geary, Armitage or Steven that we are cheering on. Or will the more experienced guys get the nod?
I think if RL uses the Sydney model he will just play the best players which will mean the experienced will probably get first crack which is fair enough IMO.

rexy
SS Life Member

Agree plugger I think he will to.

Maybe this year?
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I hope he will play more of the young guys after what we have seen. Their bodies won't be able to stand up for a full season in nay case so I hope the best ones each get some game time rotation this year so they can be a better contributor next year.

I can certainly see Geary, Armitage & Allen getting some matches this year. You have to take your hat off to Geary because I remember all summer reports of him leading in all the runs to build up his stamina. Let's hope Banger keeps inspiring him at training!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Everyone should need to earn their spot. Geary has earnt a spot in round 1 no doubt. Armo should competing with Birss for round 1, although with Bakes out they might both play.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I think it is all about keeping a balance, making sure we have enough youth and experience, making sure we have enough height, strength, skill and speed etc.
It is really impossible to say because each week will be different, If kosi is out one week Allen is likely to get a game over Birss... It is all about having a properly balanced lineup every weekend that is capable of following a gameplan that plays to their strengths and exploits opposition's weaknesses...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
rexy
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Everyone should need to earn their spot. Geary has earnt a spot in round 1 no doubt. Armo should competing with Birss for round 1, although with Bakes out they might both play.
Agreed, the question is do you earn a spot through 3 or 4 weeks of NAB form or 50-60 games of senior footy. That is up to RL. And that we dont know.

Maybe this year?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Everyone should need to earn their spot. Geary has earnt a spot in round 1 no doubt. Armo should competing with Birss for round 1, although with Bakes out they might both play.
Agreed, the question is do you earn a spot through 3 or 4 weeks of NAB form or 50-60 games of senior footy. That is up to RL. And that we dont know.
That is a very good point, IMO Armo, Gardiner and Geary have all earnt spots for round 1 ahead of L.Fisher, however I would not be surprised to see Fisher be given the go ahead, just have to hope the younger players will step up to the challenge and work that little bit harder...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It pains me to say this but I think Malthouse managed his young players very well last year and it certainly fast tracked their development and coincided with Collingwood's improved performance.

As long as not too many at one time, their form warrants it and each are promised a couple of games in a row without the fear of "this being my only chance" I can only see it as a positive. Perhaps then the older or mid range players will realise they are playing for a spot in the 20 or 21, with the extra spot or two set aside for a first or second year player.

We need to develop our kids, something we've not always done in the past.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I personally believe we now have a fairly stable first 20 players (21 if Gardiner holds his place on the forward flank). The last spot(s) is an open position for players such as the young 'uns: Geary and Armitage or for the older/experienced Fiora, blake, L.Fisher ,Birss or Dempster.

Personally at the moment id rather Geary for that last spot with Fiora close behind. Dempster, once fit, must be a chance and Fisher as well as blake are continually picked by the coaching staff.

St Kilda

FB: S.Fisher – M.Hudghton – S.Baker
HB: J.Gram – M.Maguire – S.Gilbert

R: S.King
R-R: N.Dal Santo
Rov: L.Ball
Mid: L.Montagna - L.Hayes – X.Clarke

HF: C.Gardiner – N.Riewoldt – A.Schneider
FF: S.Milne – J.Koschitzke – F.Gehrig

I/C: M.Gardiner – B.Goddard – R.Harvey – J.Geary

sadly due to injury the chances of that team being fielded are low so the players mentioned in the sentence above become an important part of the team. this is where teams like geelong and west coast seperate themselves from the rest. finally this year it looks as though we have got some very decent depth.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Jeez, with Fiora, Blake, L.Fisher, Dempster, Attard, Armitage, R.Clarke, Birss, Rix, Allen and Jones for depth we have an unbelievable side on paper, we just need to keep them on the park...

rexy
SS Life Member

ouse and the pies are a great example, last year saw the likes of Licuria lose his spot and Wakelin and Presti rotated in and out for maych ups. The guts to try new players saw them have a great year.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:

Jeez, with Fiora, Blake, L.Fisher, Dempster, Attard, Armitage, R.Clarke, Birss, Rix, Allen and Jones for depth we have an unbelievable side on paper, we just need to keep them on the park...
Depth always looks better when you are winning. Poeple struggle to think who will be dropped if a good player is to return. But lose a couple and all of a sudden you think how the hell are these guys getting a game. Also there are always injuries that affect depth.

Lastly we all need to remember these are practice games and I am pretty sure over the last few years supportors of winning Nab cups also thought they had depth.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Realistically the round one side would be absent Goddard, Baker, Maguire and Gehrig from the 'best 22' we could wish for. I agree that SaintBot's side is very very close to this 'best 22', with the final spot in the team a real contentious issue.

Blake IMO has become an important cog- he's in BJ's spot.

Raph plays tall & will take the 3rd tall with Goose's absence (hopefully not Max too).

Geary/Armitage/Birss- all in line for the vacant mid spot due to Bakes' unjust suspension. Most likely one of the others will take up the 22nd spot.

The replacement for Fraser is a complex one & will depend on how Ross looks at matchups, etc. Allen is the obvious option but Ross may decided another defensive mid like L.Fisher is preferable.

With just over 3 weeks til the season starts lots can & will happen. Barring any further set backs I will take a punt on this being our round 1 team.

B. Geary Hudgton R.Clarke

Hb. Gram S.Fisher Gilbert

C. Montagna Hayes X.Clarke

HF. C.Gardiner Riewoldt Schneider

F. Milne Koschitzke Harvey

R. King Dal Santo Ball

I. M.Gardiner Blake Armitage L.Fisher

E. Fiora Birss Allen

** At this stage Fiora has lost his spot due to poor NAB Cup form. If he picks this up over the next few weeks I would expect him to replace Armitage (even if I don't agree with it).

rexy
SS Life Member

Think Goddard will play.

Maybe this year?
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'll tip BJ's return round 2 v Carlton!

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

IMHO experiance shouldnt give you an automatic selection. Regardless of how many games they have played id like to see the 22 fittest and best preformed over pre season players line up in Round 1.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Why do people rate Geary above Armitage it astounds me. Armitage is far superior to Geary its ridiculous.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Why do people rate Geary above Armitage it astounds me. Armitage is far superior to Geary its ridiculous.
different types of players who play different positions. geary is a running HBF/outside mid who shows class with the ball and runs to the right positions. Armo is an inside mid who will battle with the likes of ball, hayes, harvey, dal etc. for spots in the midfield.

Plus geary is coming off a great season in 2007 with the scorps while armo struggled with fitness all of last year. Both will make it but currently I see geary as a walk up start for the 22 come round 1 because he gives us that outside mid/HBF. Armos time will come, really impressed with his fitness this year.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Geary is a dime a dozen type player were as Armitage is a pure midfielder. Geary will compete with 6-7 others and unless he has something about him that is far superier he may have to wait his turn.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Geary is a dime a dozen type player were as Armitage is a pure midfielder. Geary will compete with 6-7 others and unless he has something about him that is far superier he may have to wait his turn.
who is he competing with curly?

one is an outside mid while the other is an inside mid. We actually don't have many outside mids that play geary's role. He is a ball magnet, knows when to attack and when to cover a man. Fits in nicely as a running HBF or winger with good disposal and ability to find the ball.

armo will be a beauty if he can keep this fitness up but currently he has the likes of ball, hayes, harvey, dal, joey, etc ahead of him.

FQF
In richo I trust

aussiejones
Club Player

All in all we are in a great position .
great recruiting all we need is a bit of luck with injuries .

Great to have options and guys fighting for their spot on the park.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
CURLY wrote:Geary is a dime a dozen type player were as Armitage is a pure midfielder. Geary will compete with 6-7 others and unless he has something about him that is far superier he may have to wait his turn.

one is an outside mid while the other is an inside mid. We actually don't have many outside mids that play geary's role. He is a ball magnet, knows when to attack and when to cover a man. Fits in nicely as a running HBF or winger with good disposal and ability to find the ball.

armo will be a beauty if he can keep this fitness up but currently he has the likes of ball, hayes, harvey, dal, joey, etc ahead of him.
Hed be competing with Gram Raph Goddard Gilbert Fiora Joey Dempster and L Fisher. Is his pace outstanding? Is his kicking above AFL average? Is he strong overhead? He has to stand out at somthing to push to the top of the list. Simply accumalating possesions is often not enough these days unless you have an above average string to your bow.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Solar wrote:

Hed be competing with Gram Raph Goddard Gilbert Fiora Joey Dempster and L Fisher. Is his pace outstanding? Is his kicking above AFL average? Is he strong overhead? He has to stand out at somthing to push to the top of the list. Simply accumalating possesions is often not enough these days unless you have an above average string to your bow.
ok I'll bite

he is not competing with a tall running utility so take out BJ, dempster, raph and gilbo. Joey is more a pure midfielder.

So yes he is competing with fizz and gram, and I can fit him easily ahead of the likes of CJ et al. Right now he is in great form, was very close to playing in rd 22 (if thomo didn't get a farewell game he would have played) and will play rd 22. I called it 6 months ago.

Its not that he is a better player then others like armo its just he fits into the team a little better

FQF
In richo I trust

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Were does he play then? He would be in the back half along with the above players. You will have Max,Chips and Goose as the talls so that leaves 3 spots. Gram youd think is a certainty along with Raph. Gilbert will play across there to. Geary wont rotate in the midfield with Dal Hayes Joey Ball HARVS X Birss Sneider and Armitage in front of him.