Luke VR to shine

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
yipper wrote:My goodness!! We have some impatient ppl on here. He is 19yo a kid!!
Normally I would agree, but in VR's case we're talking about a second-year rookie who's done nothing so far to warrant any excitement other than being tall. If he's going to be elevated onto the senior list at the end of the year, he needs to show some kind of skill either in the ruck or around the ground. He struggled in both aspects the other day.
Did well at Casey despite being 18 years old at the time, so he does show form at lower levels.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Can anyone comment on why Ben McEvoy hasn't gotten ANY game time? I haven't heard any statements about either "protecting him" or that he is injured.

Since he must be close to the same age as LVR I thought we might see him in action at some stage in the NAB Cup.

Appreciate hearing from anyone with any information on Ben's development as it has all been pretty quiet for our No. 1 draft pick so far.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Rickabee wrote:Can anyone comment on why Ben McEvoy hasn't gotten ANY game time? I haven't heard any statements about either "protecting him" or that he is injured.

Since he must be close to the same age as LVR I thought we might see him in action at some stage in the NAB Cup.

Appreciate hearing from anyone with any information on Ben's development as it has all been pretty quiet for our No. 1 draft pick so far.
I would also like to know the answer to this :?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I think I read somewhere a few weeks back that he'd been spotted in a moon boot, so I guess he's had some sort of foot injury.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

yipper wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
yipper wrote:My goodness!! We have some impatient ppl on here. He is 19yo a kid!!
Normally I would agree, but in VR's case we're talking about a second-year rookie who's done nothing so far to warrant any excitement other than being tall. If he's going to be elevated onto the senior list at the end of the year, he needs to show some kind of skill either in the ruck or around the ground. He struggled in both aspects the other day.
Has played some very good games at Casey last year and did quite well in the intra-club, I heard our coaches were very pleased with him that night. And, he is actually STILL growing - as 19yo's do. He is a big boy, who is a very good kick and can take a mark - you think the club won't give him time?? Like hell they won't. 19yo, 203cm and well skilled below his knees!! yeah, get rid of him!!
I've only seen LVR play this preseason and been underwhelmed. On the other hand, being 203 cms is virtually going to be synonymous with project player anyhow.

His mission is simple: be better than Michael Rix by the end of the year. If he can't manage that, he's in trouble, as Rix has to be at least approaching the worst ruckman in the comp, getting kept around because he's an insurance policy. If LVR can manage that, there's his list spot going forward, and I'm more than happy for him to get another year or two in the V to develop while the mammoth the Saints made a scholarship player of works through his rookie years.

It's certainly encouraging to hear that at a lower level he's skilled down low, a good kick and decent mark. Hopefully by this time next year he can show those skills in the NAB. 203 cms is plenty of height - can he jump?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
yipper
SS Life Member

I think some of you need to go and watch the odd Casey game through the year!! You might see something more than what appears on a tv screen.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hardly a surprise that a 203 cm kid seems a little unco-ordinated at this very early stage of his career.

big blokes take a while to come on, especially very big blokes, so i'll be watching The Van with interest

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Can't explain why, but I've got a lot of time for the kid.

Agree that he probably gets a soft run, but I don't know, I've just got a feeling that he can get it together and make the grade over time.

A really raw prospect, but I think he's very much worth persisting with.

Fingers crossed.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

HarveysDeciple

bigcarl wrote:hardly a surprise that a 203 cm kid seems a little unco-ordinated at this very early stage of his career.

big blokes take a while to come on, especially very big blokes, so i'll be watching The Van with interest
absolutely.

It's no secret that big blokes take longer to develop then midfielders.

He is very lanky at the moment but I actually think he has shown a bit, certainly in the intraclub.

People should also remember Dean Cox was a rookie, and looked very uninspiring early days.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:People should also remember Dean Cox was a rookie, and looked very uninspiring early days.
I see this example thrown out there all the time when it comes to ruckmen and rookies. West Coast aren't stupid, they must have seen something in Cox to persist with him, rather than having a dud on their rookie list for a few years and then magically he comes good.

There are a lot more failure stories than success stories from the rookie list, we should be thankful that we've gotten ~20 games out of Attard and we look like having Geary break into our side early this year too.