Armitage not too dissimilar to Luke Hodge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Plus Jones while still rough on his disposal is also a brilliant tackler....made even more useful as he has the pace to catch guys who have had head starts.

So yes our tackling is looking up.....
He's tackling like he was pre-collarbone injury. It's great to see tenacious tackling & that ethos spreads to the entire team.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

ARMITAGE gives us the aggression we need in the midfield....

He is very hard at the ball/player with that little bit of mongrel we need around the packs. The only thing that worries me is his running technique - he looks a lot like Stephen POWELL when at full tilt and I dont think he would be much quicker over 50 metres either.

If he can be as effective POWELL as winning the hard ball and protecting our play makers he will be an excellent player. The huge bonus is that he can hit a target by foot and can kick over 35 metres win/win...

With his body shape hopefully he doesnt get too heavy....?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I'd still nominate Milney as the weakest tackler on the team from what I've seen so far. I was hoping the Melbourne Storm trainer would have worked the most with Milney as it is an area he really needs to improve on. He does lots of other things well, and let's give him some credit, as he has improved his finess to run into the midfiled more often, but his tackling still needs more work.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

RH35 wrote:"tbh i think armitages early form reminds me a bit of caydn beethams early form.

big build, strong, beautiful kick of the ball.

another player he reminds me a bit of goddard when he first came to st kilda, although armitage looks much stockier."

Comparing him to Beetham is frigging harsh. Beetham was a terrible kick (always tried to kick it way too hard and had very poor vision), had shocking lung capacity and was very fragile and uncompetitive. The only similarity is that they are both fairly powerful. Beetham was a freakish 15yo, looked like an adult Tim Watson, but got slowly worse. Goddard was and remains an outside player who can play third tall back or forward or move up to the wing. Main strengths are his kicking, vision and height for a running player. At this stage, Armitage is a fantastic inside player, a very good close in tackler and a reasonable kick at best. He couldn't go back or forward and is no good above his head. He needs to keep losing weight so he can win some easy possessions. He is actually most similar to Luke Ball at a similar age, but Ball was already fit and better overhead. Either way, Armitage will be a fixture in the Saints (or Gold Coast) midfield for a very long time.
Great. Another one to worry about from QLD. With roo and him, I think there is also another from QLD.

hAyES
Club Player

To me Armo is a dead set clone of Luke Ball. The tackling, the ball-winning ability especially. Not sure about his kicking, but once he builds up his confidence he's definately in our best 22. Looks like a goal kicker as well.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

The huge bonus is that he can hit a target by foot and can kick over 35 metres win/win...
And he doesnt lug a tread mill around with him on the field. 8-)

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Rickabee wrote:I'd still nominate Milney as the weakest tackler on the team from what I've seen so far. I was hoping the Melbourne Storm trainer would have worked the most with Milney as it is an area he really needs to improve on. He does lots of other things well, and let's give him some credit, as he has improved his finess to run into the midfiled more often, but his tackling still needs more work.
Milne would be on an even par with Gram as worst tackler in the team. These two along with Fiora must improve on there man on man work.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Great. Another one to worry about from QLD. With roo and him, I think there is also another from QLD.
Gilbert.

savatage
SS Life Member

Howard also, but seriously why worry about something like this? What is your worrying going to achieve except to upset yourself?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:To me Armo is a dead set clone of Luke Ball. The tackling, the ball-winning ability especially. Not sure about his kicking, but once he builds up his confidence he's definately in our best 22. Looks like a goal kicker as well.
Yeah I see a lot of similarites between him an Ball, he seems to be a bigger kick of the ball then Luke, however he doesn't quite have the same level of presence as Ball did at that point in time...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I see him as being very similar to Lenny Hayes at the same age.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:I see him as being very similar to Lenny Hayes at the same age.
I'm too young to remember Hayes at that age but if turns out to be as good I will be over the moon :D :D
Would be great if he could force himself into the 22 this year, we could use his ferocity...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!