What we can take from this game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Gram, Gilbert and Baker all did well for first games back.

With bakes being suspended Geary looks cpable of playing in Bakes spot down back for Round 1.

L Fisher also did ok in his first run....but the form of Geary may have him in front.

Still early days and players well get better with match time.
Yep, you are a great fan of L Fisher aren't you???

IMO L Fisher was shocking and his disposals continue to have a negative impact on his game..
Harsh on Leigh Fisher. Wasn't outstanding butthought his disposal was OK today.

I do agree that this is his biggest weakness but today he seemed better than usual. Hope he gets better, but today was his first hitout.

We can all see why Geary has been elevated from the rookie list. Could Geary be our first rookie since Milne ( Attard was elevated because of LTI)

Our rookies are something to get pretty hopeful about.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The other thing the game showed is that with question marks over both Goose and Max...that we are still in need of a key defender.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Harsh on Leigh Fisher. Wasn't outstanding butthought his disposal was OK today.

I do agree that this is his biggest weakness but today he seemed better than usual. Hope he gets better, but today was his first hitout.

We can all see why Geary has been elevated from the rookie list. Could Geary be our first rookie since Milne ( Attard was elevated because of LTI)

Our rookies are something to get pretty hopeful about.
I dont think that is harsh, IMO his disposal is poor and some have question others on here about poor disposal players in the past, but to me L Fisher seems like some sort of a protected species on this site....

His disposals are poor and that is mild and posters like SrS seem to think he is on our best 22....

Well IMO he is not in that

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I thought the last quarter was sensational

bunch of kids up against a power team, if we lost by 3 goals we would have all been saying, gutsy effort considering, so to win! wow

let the kids enjoy the moment........... no lid, let it bubble and boil

many of them will walk taller for weeks on that

fqf

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: What we can take from this game

mad saint guy wrote: Misson - Not a miracle worker
Indeed...but why should he be???

People keep raising the Cats improved injury rate...but forget that they started rebuilding their fitness and conditioning department in May of the year prior.

Misson started in Octerberish...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:I thought the last quarter was sensational

bunch of kids up against a power team, if we lost by 3 goals we would have all been saying, gutsy effort considering, so to win! wow
indeed...I was very pleased by that too

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I dont think that is harsh, IMO his disposal is poor and some have question others on here about poor disposal players in the past, but to me L Fisher seems like some sort of a protected species on this site....

His disposals are poor and that is mild and posters like SrS seem to think he is on our best 22....

I am not a great L Fisher fan for the exact reason you do. His disposal in the past has been deplorable, not much better than Jones. today his disposal seemed OK.

As for protected species, well some players get a rough deal from supporters, some are darlings.

Look at the crap thrown toward Blake even when he plays well like today.

Some people just love a whipping boy i suppose.

Personally I want to see every player at the Saints succeed, that why I always support L.Fisher, Jones, Blake and Raph, players constantly bagged on here.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
posters like SrS seem to think he is on our best 22....

St Fid...how about you read what I have written in this string...which is that Geary looks like playing Round 1......and that L Fisher would not be in my current best 22.

So how about you post on what I have written...and not what you imagine that I am thinking :idea:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

When has Leigh Fisher's disposal been poor? It looks to me like a case of Saintsational trying to find a player to drop for the new guy (Geary). I didn't see Fisher put a foot wrong today. He had limited TOG, found a bit of the ball and seemed to use it just fine. I saw woeful clangers from Fiora, Gram and a few others, but never Fisher.

Geary got 11 of his 24 touches in the first quarter and he didn't do particularly well with it. He was much better from the second quarter on when he got less of the ball, but used it much more effectively. If he keeps playing like he has the first two weeks, he'll be impossible to drop. With the number of injuries we're carrying right now, I think both Geary and Fisher will probably be playing round 1.

Armo did all the little things for the second week in a row. He found the ball this week and used it brilliantly in the first half. He deserves as much praise as anybody for the work he's done so far this preseason. With Ball and Lenny still missing, we need somebody who can go into the middle and be a difference maker like he was today.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Very pleased (& pleasantly surprized) to win today.

I was also very pleased with the tackling after the 2nd QTR. I read in "Inside Footy" that we have had a "Tackling Coach" from Melbourne helping the team tackle better. Boy, did we need that! The 1st QTR bothered we with the lack of tackling and "standing off" or "corralling" players.

We could also see how "rusty" many players were with so many "suicide" handballs to team mates. I really hope that this will improve as they get used to their newer team mates.

A great confidence builder for the new kids that if they tackle hard they win matches, just like we did back in 2004!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

Armo did all the little things for the second week in a row. He found the ball this week and used it brilliantly in the first half. He deserves as much praise as anybody for the work he's done so far this preseason. With Ball and Lenny still missing, we need somebody who can go into the middle and be a difference maker like he was today.
Indeed...

and that is also why I was very pleased that X went so well as a full time mid against the Tigers.

Hopefully both Armo and X can be part of our midfield rotations this year.

Lenny I have no doubt will be a very good player for us this year....but Ball still has some big question marks hanging around him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I thought it interesting to that the cats started in the first quarter like it was 2007...

They were very clean...whereas we won plenty of ball, but did not use it as well.

Then in the second quarter we applied a lot of pressure..the Cats started fumbling and went sidewise more.

A very good sign for us.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
posters like SrS seem to think he is on our best 22....

St Fid...how about you read what I have written in this string...which is that Geary looks like playing Round 1......and that L Fisher would not be in my current best 22.

So how about you post on what I have written...and not what you imagine that I am thinking :idea:
well sorry then...

But your opinion of L Fisher still stands then...

I am not into bagging players but, Fergs has MUCH more talent and skill than L fisher IMO....

RL gave Fergs specific jobs and did well with his couple of games...

RL re listed him knowing that he has potential .......

L Fisher IMO has done nothing IMO, in his improvement of disposals and defence skills ...

yep okay .....

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Fisher has been selected every week he has been available since his return in 2006.

He is a solid medium defender with decent disposal, good strength, great attack on the footy and is strong in the air. I would be very surprised if he was dropped at any stage this year unless the likes of Dempster, Ferguson and Gwilt all come from nowhere and play outstanding footy.

Last year he lost some form after a hammy injury (and was then moved into the midfield), but if he can play like he was pre injury in 2007 and through all of 2006 then he will again be a starting 18 player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:LI would be very surprised if he was dropped at any stage this year unless the likes of Dempster, ...... all come from nowhere and play outstanding footy.

Dempster was a regular player for the Swans with 54 games in the last 3 years...but only 14 in 2007 and so I don't think he would have to come from nowhere....

And while I would love for him to be playing outstanding footy...if he makes the team I would imagine he will be because RL will have him doing a task..(.a bit like Blake) ... and that playing good, but not gamorous, footy would suffice.

thats is doinga task and not making errors. More than that would be a bonus.

Now he may not make the 22...but would in the mix.

If Goose and Max continue to have injury problems his height may be useful down back.