Could Rix be a backmen?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i think the real question should be.....can rix be an afl footballer....???...whilst the jury is still out on that one...i have seen nothing to suggest he can......he's lucky that lyons has kept the faith with him.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr X from the West
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:Of course he can!
As long as he doesnt have to carry the detractors from this board on his back every time he runs out onto the field.
He is one of the fastest at the club, tall and he has a backmans steely determination.
As that famous left handed tennis player said "You can not be serious".

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:i think the real question should be.....can rix be an afl footballer....???...whilst the jury is still out on that one...i have seen nothing to suggest he can......he's lucky that lyons has kept the faith with him.....
I tend to disagree with you on this.

I do admire his determination/endeavour, but he does lack skill IMO..

RL believes in him so who am I to question him??

He does make a good backup ruckman, and I do believe we need that considering that

King just played 6 matches last year and he peaked in 2002

and Gardiner has played just 18 games in three years and also peaked in 2002.

We do need him as a backup IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
To the top
SS Life Member

Gilbert, at 194cm, will be groomed as the next full back, although Miles showed a bit, given he is 191cm, the same as Max.

Both will "bulk up", but not to the detriment of losing their pace, which is a decided advantage.

Rix is a back up ruckman in the event BOTH King and Gardiner are unavailable.

The problem I see with Rix is that he attempts to mark with "hard hands" because of which he is sometimes seen palming/hitting the ball when he should be first marking then dishing off by hand.

If you mark you have the option of changing your mind, because you actually have control of the ball and therefore what you do with it.

If you do what Rix does, there is still a primary contest.

To play CHB you have to be able to influence the game, by being BOG,

And Goose is a dead set CHB. A Full Back he is not, because it is not his game to do what a full back must do.

Hopefully Rix will be a permanent feature at Casey in 2008.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
stinger wrote:i think the real question should be.....can rix be an afl footballer....???...whilst the jury is still out on that one...i have seen nothing to suggest he can......he's lucky that lyons has kept the faith with him.....
I tend to disagree with you on this.

I do admire his determination/endeavour, but he does lack skill IMO..

RL believes in him so who am I to question him??

He does make a good backup ruckman, and I do believe we need that considering that

King just played 6 matches last year and he peaked in 2002

and Gardiner has played just 18 games in three years and also peaked in 2002.

We do need him as a backup IMO
Im not sure RL believes in him. He only played last year IMO because there was really no one else.

Batnoe

mad saint guy wrote:
Batnoe wrote:In 06 he played on Cam Mooney at the dome and tore him up
Tore him up?

Mooney - 19 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal, 2 behinds
Rix - 3 disposals

For someone that isnt a backmen to keep a player to one goal that would usually kick 3 is a good game

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Kept Polak quiet on friday, kept him to 6 touches, and 1 mark.
I think Polak being polaxed in the 1st or 2nd Q may have assisted Rixy's cause.

The place to experiment whether or not Rixy can cut the mustard as a defender is at Casey..........Seniors or Reserves !!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Im surprised by the amount of support there is put there for Rix.. He is in the bottom 2% of listed footballers, in the whole AFL.. He simply can not play.. Back, forward, ruck... There is nothing there... Undoubted he is an excellent athelete and well put together physically, but he does not belong in a saints jumper..

I would say he is the worst player on our list.. lets cut the crap.. As i said, great athelete, and by all accounts, top bloke, but thats where it ends for us.

saintlee
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Im surprised by the amount of support there is put there for Rix.. He is in the bottom 2% of listed footballers, in the whole AFL.. He simply can not play.. Back, forward, ruck... There is nothing there... Undoubted he is an excellent athelete and well put together physically, but he does not belong in a saints jumper..

I would say he is the worst player on our list.. lets cut the crap.. As i said, great athelete, and by all accounts, top bloke, but thats where it ends for us.
I would not be so harsh on him myself, but in terms of footy ability, I basically think your right, the biggest advantage in Rix over the last few years is that he is durable....he has stayed healthy when our other ruckmen have not........if our current first choice ruckmen stay healthy I doubt we'll see him outside the VFL......

My view tho, is IF he is to play this year, it is probably in the backline as a tall defender.....

but he would have to be on the delisting hitlist at the end of the year

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Im surprised by the amount of support there is put there for Rix.. He is in the bottom 2% of listed footballers, in the whole AFL.. He simply can not play.. Back, forward, ruck... There is nothing there... Undoubted he is an excellent athelete and well put together physically, but he does not belong in a saints jumper..

Agreed, he'd be fighting it out with Blake for "worst player" at Saints.

I don't care if he can leap tall buildings in a single bound, he just.can't. play.football.

Its not too hard to work it out.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hes still not the worst 4 choice ruckmen going around the AFL. We could still have Ackland or that donkey Bryan.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
Tore him up?

Rix - 3 disposals
For someone that isnt a backmen to keep a player to one goal that would usually kick 3 is a good game
That year Mooney averaged 1.3 goals. He was still considered to be an inconsistent, ordinary CHF in 2006. Mooney was one of Geelong's few effective forwards that day in a shocking performance from them. There is no way you could praise Rix for that performance.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

mad saint guy wrote:
Batnoe wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
Tore him up?

Rix - 3 disposals
That year Mooney averaged 1.3 goals. He was still considered to be an inconsistent, ordinary CHF in 2006. Mooney was one of Geelong's few effective forwards that day in a shocking performance from them. There is no way you could praise Rix for that performance.
Not even credit where credit due.
I bet you refused to listen to him on the radio the other day, just because it was Rix...sad

Seeya
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:Not even credit where credit due.
I bet you refused to listen to him on the radio the other day, just because it was Rix...sad
Credit is not due when your opponent has an extra 16 disposals, 7 marks and 3 scoring shots. Regardless of who the player is, that is a poor performance.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Im not sure RL believes in him. He only played last year IMO because there was really no one else.
Agreed. Rix owes the length of his AFL career to staying healthy on a list short of rucks and healthy bodies.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
sunsaint wrote:Not even credit where credit due.
Credit is not due when your opponent has an extra 16 disposals, 7 marks and 3 scoring shots. Regardless of who the player is, that is a poor performance.
Stats once again that mean nothing Ive seen Roo have similar stats to those of Mooneys and his man getting best on for stopping him. A leading forward is basically garanteed 5-6 marks a game.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL