carscum's captain...ya gotta laugh...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

For your sake I hope his groin is o.k.? Nothing worse than a 1.25 million dollar Captain that cannot get out onto the ground? I know you guys were used to it with Lance, but he was a much cheaper version.

BTW, do you reckon he knows the words to your beloved theme song yet?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote: BTW, do you reckon he knows the words to your beloved theme song yet?
Has about as much oomph as the one he's used to, so shouldn't be hard to make the transition

Da da da da daaaaa
Da da da da daaaaaa
Da da da da daaa da daaa da daaaa
We are the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Weeeee're the Eaaaaagles,
Weeeee're flyyyyyyyyyyying hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhhhhhhh

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

markp
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who doesn't think this was promised to him as a sweetener is deluding themselves... IF he was 100% physically it might be acceptable, bordering on laughable... as it stands it's laughable bordering on farce.

I hope (for Carlton's sake) he never plays....

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I think im going to cancel my foxtel account, who needs the comedy channel for laughs as long as we have Carlton. What will they use their next #1 pick on, a new VICE captain?

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I don't see anything wrong with the appointment, Judd is clearly the best player on their list and arguably the best in the comp.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

I feel sorry for Nick Stevens.
He probably would have been a fantastic leader of a a club like carlton that is in some pretty hot water.
He's been at that club for yonks then all of a sudden someone like Juddy comes along and basically takes the crown.

I mean, I love watching Juddy play, and he's a great leader, as shown at west coast, but what were carlton thinking... or weren't they at all.
Ah well.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Im enjoying the Carlton optimism at the moment.. I think we all know where they are heading, but letting thier supporters have their time in the sun in feb/march is a great way to lead into a new season of cellar dwelling for them..

Judd will be lucky to play a dozen games... He stated in the weekend paper that if he had his time over, he would not have had the surgery... something aint right down there, thats for sure.. And unlike at the eagles, who were contenders, Judd wont play injured as a blue.. 12 games max..

And they laughed at us about Hamills downfall... Get ready to have the last laugh saints!!

markp
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the appointment, Judd is clearly the best player on their list and arguably the best in the comp.
The captain needs to be more than just the best player surely? (and right now he's not even a player at all). He needs to represent the heart and soul of the club... how deflating for the other players if Mr Hollywood rocks up, takes a massive chunk out of the salary cap, gets the plum carpark and demands the Captaincy as part of the deal... all before he even knows his way around the change-rooms... then says he'll play when (and if) he feels right.

Even if I liked Carlton I'd say it was a bad move... Luke Ball showed what Class is all about.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Bevan Shorluey wrote: and from all reports is a standout role model to his teammates.
Which ones, his West Coast team mates or his Carlton team mates?

Looking forward to Kerr deserting a sinking ship and taking over from snowfalke down at Richmond next year if that's the example he's set.

Interesting whether there's any truth in the rumour the announcement was held off because Judd was negotiating more money to take on the role. Expect Rebecca to pick up another ambassador / modelling contract in the near future.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:I don't see anything wrong with the appointment, Judd is clearly the best player on their list and arguably the best in the comp.
The captain needs to be more than just the best player surely? (and right now he's not even a player at all). He needs to represent the heart and soul of the club... how deflating for the other players if Mr Hollywood rocks up, takes a massive chunk out of the salary cap, gets the plum carpark and demands the Captaincy as part of the deal... all before he even knows his way around the change-rooms... then says he'll play when (and if) he feels right.

Even if I liked Carlton I'd say it was a bad move... Luke Ball showed what Class is all about.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion.

Of course he is more than the best player, he has proven leadership abilities as well as being a premiership captain.

I don't know if a captain needs to represent the heart and soul of a club, but he is a leader that's for sure.

Yes, I do feel for Nick Stevens but at 28, maybe Carlton were looking for a player that will be a leader/captain for the long term

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
markp
Saintsational Legend

Only time will really tell if it was a good or bad move.....

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Huzzad wrote:Bit like David Beckham coming straight in to captain the LA Galaxy, and only played 5 matches for them last season.
lucas neil the same at west ham

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Only time will really tell if it was a good or bad move.....
Yeah mate, so true.

I think they did something similar years ago when they appointed Sticks after just one season (I maybe wrong), but sticks surely would not have had "his heart and soul of the club" after just one season.

That decision of appointing Sticks proved correct IMO.

And know they have appointed a far more proven leader IMO.

But as you stated, Time will tell...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Just on this issue...

Did we not appoint Alex Jesaulenko as Captain??

Just how many games did he play for the Saints before he was appointed?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
markp wrote:

Of course he is more than the best player, he has proven leadership abilities as well as being a premiership captain.

I don't know if a captain needs to represent the heart and soul of a club, but he is a leader that's for sure.

Yes, I do feel for Nick Stevens but at 28, maybe Carlton were looking for a player that will be a leader/captain for the long term

IIRC he only got the captaincy because

a) Cousins had had another off-field drama and the Wt Coke Eagles had to be seen to be doing something about it, so they stripped him of the captaincy.
b) They were negotiating an extension to his contract and thought this would help swing the deal.

Cousins, although officially stripped of the captaincy, was always considered the captain of that club by the players, coaches and fans.

So to call him a proven leader and Premiership captain is technically correct but in reality it overstates his leadership performance.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
markp wrote:

IIRC he only got the captaincy because

a) Cousins had had another off-field drama and the Wt Coke Eagles had to be seen to be doing something about it, so they stripped him of the captaincy.
b) They were negotiating an extension to his contract and thought this would help swing the deal.

Cousins, although officially stripped of the captaincy, was always considered the captain of that club by the players, coaches and fans.

So to call him a proven leader and Premiership captain is technically correct but in reality it overstates his leadership performance.
Never the less he is a leader IMO by his performance on the field.

Again, another point...

markp stated that a captain...
needs to represent the heart and soul of the club

Did Barassi represent that as captain for Carlton in his first year there??

Did Kernahan represent that as captain for Carlton after just one season with them?

This "heart and soul for the club" is nonsense IMO...

If a player has talent and has leadership qualities is the thing that clubs consider the most IMO

Don't get me wrong, I hate Carlton as much as most on here.

But I don't believe in bagging a club for the sake of it

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Fid,

I notice your two scenarios are based on Carlton Captains.

And the one you pointed out with us was a Carlton player who came to us.

I'm with the old school, do your time and deserve your position.

Chri$$ will be rapt though, would have been a massive surprise to him :roll: as will Rebeca with whatever "sponsorship" she is about to announce too.

Let them rot I say.

Heard that somewhere before.....

DJKCR
Club Player

I agree it is a pretty poor situation for a club to just hand over it's captaincy to a guy who has just walked in the door. But as it has been previously mentioned this is the same bunch that put Gibbs in the leadership group :shock:

But I don't think that Judd would have asked for the captaincy as a sweetener to coming across, from what I have seen of him, and this is only my opinion. I think that he would have rathered someone else to take the job

He has the pressure of starting at a new club, having supporters expectations that he is just going to waltz in and drag them to the top, I gather some players would be a bit offside with how much he is earning. The added media pressure of the "Trade of the century"

Not to mention he can't be to sure about getting back to his same old self on the track in any time in a hurry if Luke Ball is anything to go by. Luke was hard at the ball and didn't rely on bursts of speed to break away from packs. The games Judd did play last year he was a shadow of himself.

I think he has enough pressure on him without the added burden of captaining the rabble. I think he would have just been happy to blend into the scene quietly and attempt to play some quality footy.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its carlton who gives a rats whos captain heck im suprised dick pratt didnt buy the captaincy for himself ..
another year in the doldrums for carlton they may have the best player in the comp playing for them but the rest of the list falls away really fast after judd (and that while hes still injured) . lets see how judd go's without cox kerr embley stengline covering his ass and setting up free passage through the middle

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Just on this issue...

Did we not appoint Alex Jesaulenko as Captain??

Just how many games did he play for the Saints before he was appointed?

two......came to the saints as a player only...then after two weeks we sacked patterson and appointed jezza as the coach.....i presume he was the captain as well.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

some carscum supporters are none too happy either... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415875

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Fid,

I notice your two scenarios are based on Carlton Captains.

And the one you pointed out with us was a Carlton player who came to us.

I'm with the old school, do your time and deserve your position.

Chri$$ will be rapt though, would have been a massive surprise to him :roll: as will Rebeca with whatever "sponsorship" she is about to announce too.

Let them rot I say.

Heard that somewhere before.....
Fair enough...

That's your opinion...

I, for one don't want ANY side to rot (EXCEPT FOR THE PROPOSED TWO NEW CLUBS).

I just don't think it was a bad decision if Carlton are looking "long term"...

As I have stated Stevens is 28 and IMO not a long term option the same mistake was made last year with Whitnall IMO.

I really don't give a rats, but the best "long term option" had to be Judd..

I was pointing out a statement about that a captain ..

needs to represent the heart and soul of the club
And IMO I don't agree with the comment

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

Fid.. If we're talking long term... perhaps Marc Murphy would have been a good choice.. Sure he is young and all, but didn't they start Carey young? Same as we did with Roo.
Murphy was also the number 1 draft pick, has showed that he can play quality football in a team with fairly mediocre players. IMO, Murphy would have been the logical choice.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
Winmarvellous
Club Player

He seems the logical choice so long as his injury holds up, or perhaps they should have taken the easy way out and appointed three captains :roll: . Football has changed. Leadership doesn't come from being around a club, but the manner you go about your football. Sad, but true. I really can't see anybody of Judd's class and professionalism at Carlton, and Stevens himself is on his way back from a pretty serious injury. Why this is a bad decision I can't tell.

A few posters on here have been saying they wouldn't mind Roo going to the proposed Gold Coast team, so long as we've won a premiership. I assume he'd pretty miuch sew up the captaincy there, and leave one behind here to do so. I know it's only speculation, but maybe we should bite our tounges lest it come back to haunt us.