24 L Miles St Kilda Swan Districts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

After seeing his game against the Tigers, he could still play full back, but I'd like to see him play 3rd tall in defense. Needs to be given the licence to run off and create play ala Sam Fisher.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As an aside...imagine a backline with say Miles, Howard, Gram and Gilbo all in it....that would make for a quick unit.

Wonder if in 2/3 years time we might see it????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I was really impressed by Miles on Friday. His defensive work was very good and his confidence was outstanding for a rookie who had never played an AFL game before. I think he is a genuine chance to take over FB once Max leaves. He doesn't have much height, but he has a great vertical leap, awsome closing speed and very good spoiling skills. He isn't the first guy you'd want bringing the ball out of defence, but his skills are reasonable and his attack on the ball at ground level is excellent.

I think he is a very good match up for the likes of Tarrant, Williams, Fevola, Welsh, O'Loughlin etc (basically any quick, slim leading forward).

Would have him in the team ahead of most of our reserve half backs (Ferguson, Dempster, Gwilt etc).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I was really impressed by Miles on Friday. His defensive work was very good and his confidence was outstanding for a rookie who had never played an AFL game before. I think he is a genuine chance to take over FB once Max leaves. He doesn't have much height, but he has a great vertical leap, awsome closing speed and very good spoiling skills. He isn't the first guy you'd want bringing the ball out of defence, but his skills are reasonable and his attack on the ball at ground level is excellent.

I think he is a very good match up for the likes of Tarrant, Williams, Fevola, Welsh, O'Loughlin etc (basically any quick, slim leading forward).

Would have him in the team ahead of most of our reserve half backs (Ferguson, Dempster, Gwilt etc).
Your easily pleased after one practice game. I'd have Eddy ahead of Hayes and Ball because they did nothing on Friday.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Your easily pleased after one practice game. I'd have Eddy ahead of Hayes and Ball because they did nothing on Friday.
Miles displayed atributes never seen from the other players I mentioned. He seems to be a great spoiler, has genuine pace and works hard. He won't lose his athleticism, attack on the ball and commitment when the real season starts.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

I was also impressed with Miles.

Performed well, although the pressure and spotlight on a "big-name" FF at AFL level might expose him.

But he certainly had some genuine attributes, and with a year at an AFL club and some more development, he will hopefully add to our depth, and may even push towards the 22.

Good use of the rookie list, and showed plenty when given his first opportunity.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Your easily pleased after one practice game. I'd have Eddy ahead of Hayes and Ball because they did nothing on Friday.
Miles displayed atributes never seen from the other players I mentioned. He seems to be a great spoiler, has genuine pace and works hard. He won't lose his athleticism, attack on the ball and commitment when the real season starts.
Im sure the others have different skills or they wouldnt have been drafted and this guy would have been on the main list. For a start the others have better skill and poise from what I saw from one practice game.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

if he plays this week, it will give us a good idea of whether he plays well against a bad team or plays well against geelong.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Im sure the others have different skills or they wouldnt have been drafted and this guy would have been on the main list. For a start the others have better skill and poise from what I saw from one practice game.
We clearly went into the drafts with a set plan of getting bottom age recruits, and recruited for current depth needs with the rookie list.

To treat the rookie list as we have, to find GOP's for depth and current weaknesses is the way to go. Sometimes you may find a gun, but if you set the bar at finding a GOP rather than a superstar, the hit rate will be higher (imo), and you will find some players that other teams overlooked.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
Im sure the others have different skills or they wouldnt have been drafted and this guy would have been on the main list. For a start the others have better skill and poise from what I saw from one practice game.
Spot on Plugger..Poise is so so so important in this game.. Especially at the top level.. It what makes players like Dal and Harvs seemingly have so much time.. Often, Miles looked desperate..

All in all he was servicable, and showed signs that could be worked with, but with the ball in his hands, under AFL pressure, is what really counts. Judging on the 1 game, he's not quite there yet..

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Which is why he is a rookie...to be developed into a player.

However, go back a few years and look at the rookies that we were mainly dished up. You would watch them play and see little..

Now two years in a row we have had batches of rookies where you can see potential in most of them.

Yes they all have flaws....but the potential is there...and in some it is quite exciting.

Early days with Geary still of course....but if he does not end up playing quite a few AFL games during his career I will be quite surprised.

Attard last year played most of the season and proved to be a good stopper.

With Miles...yes we have only seen him play couple of times to date....but in those game there has been a definate mmm yes this guy could become a player.

So our excitement with the rookies is not that they are already a batch of stars...but rather that we now have a rookie system in place that will deliver to the seniors a steady production line of players.

This gives us another 1%er...which added to other 1%ers will give us a better shot at that very elusive flag that we all lust after.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

funny i went down to my local newsagenty and the bloke who owns it notice my saints shirt and said he was lukes uncle so i asked him if he though he was goin to be pick by the saints and he saide the dockers had guarrenteed him they would use their last pick on him but we must of snapped him up first (that two years in a row as we did the same with CJ last year )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

is he any good,lets ask bradwa he goes to swans games every week

want the facts brad,the cold hard facts...no airy fairy chyt

been over looked for 3-4 for yrs & was taken at about 100 this yr so has obvious flaws

upside (over to you brad)
downside (over to you brad)

chances of a rookie being any good are slim so dont try & bullchyt

ps... i'll come down for a coffee next week..tied up this week

BradWA
Club Player

Rodger

He played mostly at FB in a weak team at Swans
Always put in 100%
I havent seen any major flaws in his game
Plays taller than he is
Pissed off he was rookied as Swans have been on a Major recruiting drive
I new he would play well at this level but after friday nite he looked completley at ease in the AFL as some players are.
I believe we have a bloody bueaty for a cheap price much in the line of Max no airy fairy shyt with this boy just good old simple footy

The Moderator Nazi,s strike again, Oh forgot, shyt im not in the purple circle.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rodger

BradWA wrote:He played mostly at FB in a weak team at Swans
Always put in 100%
I havent seen any major flaws in his game
Plays taller than he is
Pissed off he was rookied as Swans have been on a Major recruiting drive
I new he would play well at this level but after friday nite he looked completley at ease in the AFL as some players are.
I believe we have a bloody bueaty for a cheap price much in the line of Max no airy fairy shyt with this boy just good old simple footy
Thanks for a great insight from someone that has seen him play a lot.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

hey brad could he get away with playing CHB? because unless they go with silvagni or similar at CHB he will be third tall for the scorps (wall will be full back)....

good backline for the scorps for once

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

And Brad the other question is....do you know his height as the Swans and Saints sites have radically different heights for him?

Thanks.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Luke is now listed on the saints.com.au page as 185cm. Whether this is taken from other stats, or is the saints measured figure, i'm not sure.

http://saints.com.au/TheClub/Players/ta ... fault.aspx