7 Players who impressed me!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Peanut
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
The Peanut wrote:Interesting ... I forget where I sourced the info for WoM (I try to remember to provide the info source - perhaps I just guessed :lol: )

In all seriousness though there is a hell of a lot of difference between the two measurements.
I would guess from his original club site...
yeah probably ... we will just have to go with the official figure ... for now.

good summary of the performances 'iceman' and I take your point re x - as mentioned in the press yesterday: "I think I've learnt how to read my body a little bit more and know when to take a step back and get a bit more physio or a massage," Clarke said. "It's a matter of training smart and doing the right things off the field" .... he was being massaged by the physio for a large part of last quarter.

Granny Mae

plugger66 wrote:
Granny Mae wrote:I expect Eddy to be elevated some time soon
Replacing who.
You seem to think you know a lot. Work it out

spiral2
Club Player

watched the replay after seeing the game live and one player who caught my eye in the replay was Jack Steven. Extremely hard at it for a young guy, really impressive. Seems to think pretty quick in close and gives multiple efforts.
he didn't seem to get much game time, so hard to know how he would go over a match period, but showed really good signs. hope he can perform well down at Casey this season and keep the pressure on the other midfield hopefuls.

was impressed with all the new recruits, esp C Gardiner, who should provide a great hard working lead up target along with Roo. that combination should hopefully speed up our entries into F50 and open up the forward line for Kosi, G etc.

Luke Miles looked very handy, a bit Leo Barry esque with his dash from defence.
Geary looks smart, classy and tough and Eddy won some important hard ball in the first quarter. His ball use wasn't great but that should improve with more game time in the 1s and greater confidence.
All in all a really positive showing from the new guys. Well done to Peake and Beveridge.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Granny Mae wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Replacing who.
i hope thats not a Riewoldt to the LTI from a knee.....thatd hurt big time if so.....pls tell me Im way off.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Granny Mae wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Replacing who.
Well we have no long term injuries so I suggest he isnt replacing anyone but if you know more give us a name.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

For mine, we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves with Miles in this thread.

He certainly has a lot of athleticism. Good leap, great speed, but that's as advertised. Through the first half he seemed to develop a bit of a hunted demeanour, his disposal started on the edge, and went downhill. I was very impressed when in the 3rd quarter he backed himself with a big leap to take what IIRC was a contested mark as the 3rd man in, and then backed himself to run off... heart was in the mouth as he then unloaded a very high, looping handball once he'd run himself into trouble... though it turned out okay as the play came back for a Saints free kick.

The elements are certainly there, but definately is in need of time at Casey, has to catch up with his own skills and the speed of the game.

Future AFLer and Max's replacement? Maybe, but a lot of water under the bridge before that.

To the very good list in the OP, I'll add X Clarke (though the biggest thing I want to see from him is consistency and health, so rd 1 of NAB isn't getting me too excited), and I was very pleased with the tackling of Armitage.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I watched the replay with the intention of comparing Miles in height to others, but one thing that stood out was how much time he spent on his own, especially when he had the ball he was always metres in the clear.

From what I can tell, he is a tad taller than Blake (whos height is also debatable), but camera angles can be decieving.

Another thing that struck me is how well Geary plays against talls, will slot in nicely on the opposite half back flank to Gram.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:The NAB Cup record has Miles listed as 186 cm..

The AFL Prospectus has Miles listed as 186 cm

The AFL 2008 Season Guide has Miles listed as 186 cm

So how tall is he.......

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
matt maguire and goddard and kosi were all well above their listed heights early on.

i think kosi was drafted at as 191 or so KPP CHBm goddard was a 187 utility midfielder and goose was a 188 utility defender.

kosi is now listed as 196 ot 198 over the past couple of years, goddard at 190/191 and goose 190/191.

so late growth spurts not impossible or unlikely

on the other hand gumby was an outstanding junior ruckman, but failed to put on height after being recruited as a 16 year old so other shot ahead of him and his lack of mass in his physique didn't allow him to switch into a KPP role.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Miles is 21 though....not a 17/18 year old.

So I would not expect him to get any taller.

He may fill out though as is very leen.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
bobmurray wrote:The NAB Cup record has Miles listed as 186 cm..

The AFL Prospectus has Miles listed as 186 cm

The AFL 2008 Season Guide has Miles listed as 186 cm

So how tall is he.......

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
matt maguire and goddard and kosi were all well above their listed heights early on.

i think kosi was drafted at as 191 or so KPP CHBm goddard was a 187 utility midfielder and goose was a 188 utility defender.

kosi is now listed as 196 ot 198 over the past couple of years, goddard at 190/191 and goose 190/191.

so late growth spurts not impossible or unlikely

on the other hand gumby was an outstanding junior ruckman, but failed to put on height after being recruited as a 16 year old so other shot ahead of him and his lack of mass in his physique didn't allow him to switch into a KPP role.
I wouldnt trust any of the club measurements. One year Justin Peckett lost 3cms in height.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:watched the replay after seeing the game live and one player who caught my eye in the replay was Jack Steven. Extremely hard at it for a young guy, really impressive. Seems to think pretty quick in close and gives multiple efforts.
he didn't seem to get much game time, so hard to know how he would go over a match period, but showed really good signs. hope he can perform well down at Casey this season and keep the pressure on the other midfield hopefuls.

was impressed with all the new recruits, esp C Gardiner, who should provide a great hard working lead up target along with Roo. that combination should hopefully speed up our entries into F50 and open up the forward line for Kosi, G etc.

Luke Miles looked very handy, a bit Leo Barry esque with his dash from defence.
Geary looks smart, classy and tough and Eddy won some important hard ball in the first quarter. His ball use wasn't great but that should improve with more game time in the 1s and greater confidence.
All in all a really positive showing from the new guys. Well done to Peake and Beveridge.
yeah we commented to each other during the game that stevens was great in his willingness to put his head over the ball and get the hard ball. Just looked a little paniced when he got the ball, but I look forward to seeing him develop. Heck look at what a year with an AFL side can do with geary and eddy

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah Steven is promising, if he is willing to go so hard now he can only get better, hopefully he can develoop some confidence... He's only 17, he's got plenty of time...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
suss
Club Player

Yeah Steven is promising, if he is willing to go so hard now he can only get better, hopefully he can develoop some confidence... He's only 17, he's got plenty of time...
Was he the kid with the odd shuffle running style and extra short shorts? Maybe #34?? If it is he put in a couple of great tackles and 2nd efforts.[/quote]

spiral2
Club Player

suss wrote:
Was he the kid with the odd shuffle running style and extra short shorts? Maybe #34?? If it is he put in a couple of great tackles and 2nd efforts.
yeah, he's no style master but looks to be tough as nails and a team orientated player.

can he kick I wonder? is he slow?
there must be a few question marks over his game for him to be drafted at pick 42

I remember seeing him in doing a shuttle type run at training just after he was recruited, did very well against the older guys (led it most of the way) but went out too hard and tired at the end. seems to be a very competitive kid, all good signs, I hope he progresses over the next couple of years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spiral2 wrote:
suss wrote:
Was he the kid with the odd shuffle running style and extra short shorts? Maybe #34?? If it is he put in a couple of great tackles and 2nd efforts.
yeah, he's no style master but looks to be tough as nails and a team orientated player.

there must be a few question marks over his game for him to be drafted at pick 42

I remember seeing him in doing a shuttle type run at training just after he was recruited, did very well against the older guys (led it most of the way) but went out too hard and tired at the end. seems to be a very competitive kid, all good signs, I hope he progresses over the next couple of years.
He certainly isnt slow. I think he went late because he was a first year under 18 last year.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spiral2 wrote:
suss wrote:

He certainly isnt slow. I think he went late because he was a first year under 18 last year.
A bloke at work who was involved with the Hawks last year and still has a bit to do with them and knows his junior footballers has nothing but good things to say about Steven. Said his pace is amazing, Judd like explosiveness (posseses those afterburners), needs to work on disposal but is a great pick up. Believed a couple of clubs were looking at him to go in 30s. Very good pick up for a junior age (17 y.o.) with heaps of upside and development to come. Astute pick up by all accounts. Well played Saints!

spiral2
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
spiral2 wrote:
suss wrote:

A bloke at work who was involved with the Hawks last year and still has a bit to do with them and knows his junior footballers has nothing but good things to say about Steven. Said his pace is amazing, Judd like explosiveness (posseses those afterburners), needs to work on disposal but is a great pick up. Believed a couple of clubs were looking at him to go in 30s. Very good pick up for a junior age (17 y.o.) with heaps of upside and development to come. Astute pick up by all accounts. Well played Saints!
thanks for that plugger and Ghostlike, more to like about young Jack :D
Last edited by spiral2 on Mon 18 Feb 2008 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

GL,

I work with a similar type of bloke, although I'm sure he hasn't coached a decent flag.

Said the same, great pick up. I'll be watching "our" Geelong boys very keenly.

spiral2
Club Player

managed to track down this info on BigFooty - draft camp data

Jack Steven
Height Weight 5m 20m Agility Shuttle VJ Repeat Sprints
Pre Season 178.5 77.0 1.07 3.0 8.55 13.06 60
Screening 180.0 76.35 1.18 3.12 9.11 14.3 62

comparing with other draftees his times aren't all that quick. Miles clocked 2.72 for 20m sprint didn't he?

here's the link http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthrea ... mp+results

spiral2
Club Player

Glen Chivers
Ht Wt 5m 20m Agil Shutl Repeat Sprints
Pre Season 189.0 85.0
Screening 188.4 87.45 1.11 3.07 8.84 14.3 66