Rate the players here

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Rate the players here

Big pluses
X man- great game in the middle, one of the best I have seen him play
King - will be very solid
Geary - goer
Armitage - worked his way into the game, and looked very polished
M Gardiner - just playing a game
Blake - very good
Jack - did some good tough things in and under
Raph - very solid
Joey - looked very much a senior player out there, impressive.

Want to see again
Birss - thought he struggled when he had the ball
C Gardiner - want to see how he works with Roo in the team
Eddy - disposal needs to improve
Kosi - kicking for goal
Jones - want to see his second half turn into a full game, needs to settle at this level.

Overall ver good use of the ball, strong under pressure, looked fit and most importantly were tough at the ball ALL night. With Ball and Hayes back in this side this can only lift.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Just home, without replay, votes (all very close) -

5 - Joey
4 - S Fisher
3 - Dal
2 - X
1 - Birss/Gehrig
Last edited by Quixote on Fri 15 Feb 2008 11:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Just home, without replay, votes (all very close) -

5 - Joey
4 - S Fisher
3 - Dal
2 - Gehrig
1 - Birss
X, C Gardiner?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

x was outstanding birss was workman like, disposal needs to be much much better

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Quixote
SS Life Member

Yeah edited to add X - C Gards was an ommision. He'd have to be close.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
stinger
Saintsational Legend

jones and charlie were our two highest possession winmners....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

really liked geary's game.

Also Armo's I think in a year or two he will be one of those freaky players.

Gardiner ruck work in the first half was great, but not a huge amount around the ground and tappered off.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Keep in mind who Birss kept quiet.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

5: X
4: C Gardiner
3: Fisher
2: Gehrig
1: Raph

Quixote
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:jones and charlie were our two highest possession winmners....
Jones had a super game and fortunately tonight it is hard to pick your best.

Especially liked Jones chasing down anyone within 50 yards and freaking them out.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
esaint66
SS Life Member

i loved charlie gardiner's game and i was equally impresed with m. gardiner and s. king or 'the tall timber' as channel 7 was calling them.
cant wait for manuka :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

well tonight my main interest was our fring players:

* Blake. I was very impressed. A very classy game across half back. Only one small error in the first quarter.

* Geary. Geea touch of talent on show here. One passage he was on Richo one on one..spoiled him, recovered the ball and then ran off him downfield to set up play. Hasa real touch of class about him and tonights game shouted that he will bea player.

* Allen. What impressed me most is this kids timing. He kows when to run into space and where...definatly looks to bea key forward in the making. He may have to bide his time behind Roo, Gtrain and Kosi....but by the end of the year should be pressing his claims.

*Jones . Maligned by many. It was most pleasing for me to see him pplay an excellent game asa small forward tonight, a position I flagged as suiting him last year.

Compared to late last year his use of the ball was very good...his handball and kicks kept finding guys in space. Importnatly he was very quick dishing the ball off.

Late in the game he had one of his trade mark run downs tackles of an oppoistion player...which yielded a goal.
If he continues like this he will be pushing hard fora sot in our final 22.

*Armo. Looked ok...did nothing really wrong, but it would have been nice if he could have down a bit more. Still it wasa much better Armo than last year.

*Howard. well did not doa lot, but did do some nice things. Importantly he did not look "lost" like he did last year. He lookeda fotballer though all in all was quiet. Still the plus was that he was better than last year.

*raph. did many good things, but in the first half his disposal was not good.

* C Gardiner. Useful is how I would describe him. Did some nice things, but at times fumbled and often marked in two grabs allowing opponents to spoil. He seemed "almost" to be good. He just needed to be cleaner at getting the ball and in dishing it off. He ceratainly seemed to know where to go though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sam23
SS Life Member

What a result, very impressive from our young fellas... this is how i'd rate them.

2 - Steven King - Probably the best ruckman on the field imo. Had 16 hitouts and some real beautys as well. Did enough around the ground to show he could be a real gun this year. 6/5/10

3 - Xavier Clarke - Played midfield for the first half and a little bit of the 3rd quarter but didn't see much of him after that. Probably had 18 or so possessions but I really noticed his tackling, best i've seen him play for a while. 7.5/10

8 - Max Hudghton - Didn't see much of him, but did the job. 6/10

9 - Fraser Gehrig - Very good, on the inexperienced opponent but rarely made a mistake. Great kicking for goal, should be a good draftee Wink. 7/10

11 - Leigh Montagna - Fantastic around the clearances and one of our most influential players, his run and ability to find space in tight is Dal esque. 7/10

15 - Michael Gardiner - Showed enough i thought. 14 hitouts, though probably not as to advantage as what King's were. To see him run out the full game was good. Didn't find much of it at all around the ground but as i said, if he can stay fit throughout this NAB cup. Should be up and raring to go by round 1. 5/10

16 - Raphael Clarke - Fantastic i thought. Great run out of defense and I can't remember any mistakes really. Wasn't quite quick enough off the mark for either of Brown or Deledio but still was very very good. 6.5/10

17 - Aaron Fiora - Quiet by his standards set last year. Did enough, although his shot for goal was disappointing. Only 10 disposals but most were effective. Pass. 5/10

20 - David Armitage - Ahh, my man!! Loved his game despite not finding much of it. His goal was great, his tackling was good and his pace was good. IMO this guy is really special hopefully has a good NAB cup.. Had 6 tackles and 8 disposals, showed enough for limited TOG. 5.5/10

22 - Shane Birss - Didn't notice him much. But did well enough on Foley i thought except for a patch in the third quarter when Foley turned it on. Showed enough for this time of the season. 5/10

23 - Justin Koschitzke - Should've done more than he did IMO. Goal kicking was disappointing, but still will be a force, is creative, strong and fearless. Still did well, but I felt he could've kicked 4 or 5 goals. 6.5/10

25 - Sam Fisher - Smashed Richo I thought. Only remember once when Richo was really dangerous. Richo running to the backline and getting most of his marks wide. Was impressive and showed a lot of what he did last year. 20 possessions, 7 marks. 7.5/10

26 - Nick Dal Santo - Again, limited TOG I think. But he is amazing and will be just about our main man in the midfield this season. 20 possessions and all very good. 7/10

27 - Jason Blake - I'm still not convinced that he will be forced out of our best 22. He was great again tonight I felt. Not only did he try but I thought he was probably one of our best defenders. A few fearless spoils and a bit of run. No mistakes of real value. Did easily enough. For mine, he's probably just outside of our 22. 7/10

28 - Charlie Gardiner - Our BOG I felt. Took up the Riewoldt kind of role. His kicking isn't as bad as what has been said and his lead up ability, work rate and marking is quite good. 21 possessions, 10 marks and a goal. Not sure if he will start in our 22 if Round 1 was tomorrow and we had everyone to choose from. But more of the same of this and he will be hard to leave out.

29 - Michael Rix - Hardly saw him. 1 kick, 3 handballs and a couple marks. Very limited TOG with King and Gardiner playing well. Did the job on Polak early on. 4.5/10

30 - Brad Howard - Used his body well, has good pace and a nice kick on him. Just doesn't find it naturally enough at this stage. Is another season off if tonight is anything to go by. Limited TOG. 4/10

34 - Jack Steven - I liked him in the later stages of the 3rd quarter and the last quarter. Set up a goal and seems to have good forward line pressure. Hard to rate them when they are hardly on. 4/10.

35 - Robert Harvey - The master. He's just so good. Tackled well as nearly everyone did. 6.5/10

36 - Jarryd Allen - He has the size, and seems to have the ability. struggled to really put it into action tonight though, Kicked 2 goals and led up well. Probably needed to do a bit more, his 2 goals gives him a pass 5/10.

38 - Clint Jones - With Gardiner was our best tonight i thought. Especially up to half time. His kicking was good, a big improvement on last year. I think the less time he has to think about it the better he kicks. 21 possesions and 4 tackles. 8/10

39 - Luke van Rheenen - DNP.
40 - Robert Eddy - He was awesome off half back and pushed forward onto the wing really well. Was very impressed with him. Perhaps an early elevation onto the senior list could be in order if there is a LTI early on. 6.5/10

41 - Glenn Chivers - DNP
42 - Jarryn Geary - Really liked his game. As I think has been mentioned on the main board, really could play a part in the team this year. Had 17 or 18 touches and all of them were effective. Liked his attack on the ball and the man. 7/10

44 - Stephen Milne - Unselfish, good forward line pressure and kicked well from set shots. It was the Milne we like to see tonight. 7/10

45 - Luke Miles - Did wel. Did enough. Seems to be a good spoiler and a good height for the Nathan Brown kind of player. Will be one to watch. 6/10.

I know, bit early to look into players this deeply but I was really impressed tonight, against a full strength Richmond, we stood up.

Goddard.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Keep in mind who Birss kept quiet.
Agree on this, just a little disappointed what he did with the ball that's all....

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Jarryd Allen - Didn't spend much time on the ground but was fantastic when put into the forward 50. Takes the hard ones and has a good kick on him. Marked down due to lack of gametime. 6/10

David Armitage - Was given plenty of time in the middle. To be honest he was a little disapointing. The signs are there but the rookies have well and truley overtaken him. 3/10

Shane Birss - Very good in close. Quick sharp hands and quite a smart player. 6/10

Jason Blake - Should not feature in more than 5 games this season. Just has no smarts, sure the courage is there but that only takes you a certain way. 2/10

Glenn Chivers - Poor kid spent about two minutes on the field. Dont think he touched the ball. 1/10

Raphael Clarke - Still has his poor moments but as a whole his game has become a lot more consistent. Was good tonight. 7/10

Xavier Clarke - Was brilliant. Tackled hard, ran hard and was amongst everything. Was my best on ground untill the end of the third when he got a little tired. 9/10

Nick Dal Santo - Showed class and leadership. Still very slow with kickouts. 8/10

Robert Eddy - Has great pace, often displayed a lot of pressure. I liked his game. 7/10

Aaron Fiora - Fairly quiet game for Aaron. Made a few errors. Hopefully he can bounce back next week because his position is far from safe yet. 4/10

Sam Fisher - Has become the key of the defence. Started the night by playing as a loose man and often plugging the leading space and courageously going back and spoiling and marking incoming kicks. 9/10

Charlie Gardiner - Kenny Sheldon you may have made a few mistakes during your time with us but all will be forgiven if young Charlie turns out to be a gem. Looked every bit comfortable out there tonight and constantly featuring in the setting up of goals. 9/10

Michael Gardiner - Played as 2nd ruck tonight. Did a fair job without being fantastic. The match practise for him is unvaluable. 5/10

Jarryn Geary - Brilliant! Hard working, clever and quick. Expect to be the guy who falls under the other teams radar this year. Reminds me a little of Heath Shaw of Collingwood. 8/10

Fraser Gehrig - A quiet night for the G-Train in terms of possesions however he let his presence be felt. Two frees against, three Richmond players on their arse. 5/10

Robert Harvey - Hasn't lost it. Hands were as quick as ever. Had a high hit on him and should result in a suspension (havnt seen replay yet). 7/10

Brad Howard - Didn't have much time on ground but his few possesions were rather worthy ones. Has good pace. 3/10

Max Hudghton - Held the defence together. Played mainly on Deledio. 7/10

Clinton Jones - Dumb and poor kicking skills hurt him but top marks for effort tonight. Often runs to the wrong spots and his kicking is just woeful at times but he did do plenty of good things. 7/10

Steven King - Fantastic to see such terrific tapwork coming from a player in the Red, White and Black for once. Has taken the number 1 ruck spot in my eyes. 8/10

Justin Koschitzke - Similar to the intraclub match. Was very good up forward but his kicking again let him down. Good to finally see him up forward permantly. 8/10

Luke Miles - Did plenty of good things. A modern day attacking defender. Great rookie pick. 6/10

Stephen Milne - On fire! A little lazy at times but his regained a little bit of his unpredictability again. Kicked three and set up plenty more. 7/10

Leigh Montagna - Worked well with Gardiner and King. Often was on the receiving end of a good hitout. Played a great attacking game. 8/10

Michael Rix - It's clear that Ross Lyon is looking for a new position for Rix. Played as a key defender, a forward and wingman. Looked good as a defender and did a fair job all night. Deserves another few weeks to find his new spot. 5/10

Jack Steven - This kid has fantastic aggression! Boy he looked great when he was out there. Didn't get much game time but I loved what I saw. 4/10

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Jarryn Geary- Had a great game running off the HBF, played on J.Riewoldt in first half a killed him. Also good hit on Polak. Had 17 disposals.

Luke Miles- For a Rookie he did well, is pretty quick and looks like he has a cool head under pressure.

Clinton Jones- Looks like he has his confidence is back, played well. Had 21 disposals.

Xavier Clarke- Close to BOG IMO, played more as a Midfielder and did well. Had 17 disposals.

Steven King- Best Ruckman on the ground. Had 11 disposals and 16 hitouts.

Michael Rix- Killed Polak at CHB, kept him to 6 disposals and did well IMO. Had 4 disposals.

Charlie Gardiner- Played well as a lead up forward, will be a great player if he can play like this every week. Had 21 disposals.

Michael Gardiner- Still need a bit more game time but was used as the number 1 Ruckman. The run will have done him well. Had 5 disposals and 14 hitouts.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
Jason Blake - Should not feature in more than 5 games this season. Just has no smarts, sure the courage is there but that only takes you a certain way. 2/10

Agree with all but this one...

Blake played a good game IMO and to me seems to be the constant whipping boy...

I would give Blake 7/10, he played a good game IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
David Armitage - Was given plenty of time in the middle. To be honest he was a little disapointing. The signs are there but the rookies have well and truley overtaken him. 3/10

Robert Eddy - Has great pace, often displayed a lot of pressure. I liked his game. 7/10

Jarryn Geary - Brilliant! Hard working, clever and quick. Expect to be the guy who falls under the other teams radar this year. Reminds me a little of Heath Shaw of Collingwood. 8/10
Totally agree re Armitage. While he tackles well he doesnt get it enough for mine and Im not sure on the second efforts. Hes young though so not panicking......am just surprised though by the advancement of Geary/Eddy I must say..

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

Totally agree re Armitage. While he tackles well he doesnt get it enough for mine and Im not sure on the second efforts. Hes young though so not panicking......am just surprised though by the advancement of Geary/Eddy I must say..
Neither of the other 2 played in the middle. they ran off half back. Much easier to get more of the ball IMO. I think you will find they rated Armos game tonight.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

was going to do a player but player but alot of it has already been said.

Quick look at a couple of them.

Charlie gardiner was great and is exactly what we are missing. To those wanting gwilt as a HFF, look at charlies game tonight and what he does is whats missing in gwilts game. Knows where and when to lead, great set of hands. Needs to move the ball on quicker but really great game tonight. Keep doing that and he goes close to a spot for round 1!

I actually thought both kings and gardiners tap work was very very good. We won 3-4 effective taps at one stage in a row all coming from gardiner.

Geary seems to understand the HBF running position very well. Can work back onto his player and then rebound perfectly. Should make round 1!

Currently I see eddy as ahead of armo in the ability to get the ball at this level but he has huge queries over his disposal which might make him struggle at the higher level. Armo ran the game out well which was great

Howard does nothing for me, very very fast but no football brain.

Jones was back to playing off his instincts again. Good coaching seems to be telling him to keep it simple, hit the packs, rove the ball and kick it fast into the forward line. really impressive

loved little stevens game, it's like we have a new baker. Really small but hard at it. Paniced when he got the ball which is disapointing.

but the biggest improvement was the work effort, tackling and running packs.....

RUNNING IN PACKS!

AWESOME!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

Neither of the other 2 played in the middle. they ran off half back. Much easier to get more of the ball IMO. I think you will find they rated Armos game tonight.
And thats fine if stats are your sole measure - but Im interested in the contests theyre in and win and for mine both Geary/Eddy had a greater impact in their direct contests than than Armitage. IMO stats were largely useless tonight in terms of how much ball players got.

I wouldnt be upset with Armos game but the others out did him tonight for mine and thats a good thing.....its depth and pressure.

“Yeah….nah””
james rose
Club Player

going to cause a stir.. but based on tonights game...

when goose is up and running, I'd almost be disappointed if max got a game.

I love the guy and all just think the backilne is better without him... but maybe he was just rusty

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:going to cause a stir.. but based on tonights game...

I love the guy and all just think the backilne is better without him... but maybe he was just rusty
whose your best closing speed defender/spoiler at St Kilda? - still Max Hudgton have to say (still quicker than Raph..) and Maguire only runs a straight line (I agree with Thomas on that score)

Cant agree with you Im afraid.

“Yeah….nah””
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Hudghton was injured for most of 2007, and hardly played.

He has done a full pre season for the first time in a while, and had his first hit out tonight.
And he did okay from all reports.

On that last day in September, Maxie is one bloke I want on the last line.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:going to cause a stir.. but based on tonights game...

yep, I agree..

expect a player that has been the focus of discussion in delisting and suprissed of retention to appear in games at his position.

I do like Max, and this has to be his last year FFS...

Again, I loved his games, but we have to move on IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!