Captain 2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bendigo bob
Club Player

Captain 2008

Did anyone catch the channel 10 late sport news last night where they said the leadership group had taken a vote and decided to do away with multiple captains and to go with only one. They then had a small grab from Kosi who said it was the better way to go.

I didnt catch it all so I may have misinterpreted it but it did seem they are going to go that way. Suppose it will be up Ross Lyon to agree to it.

Anyone else see it?

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captain 2008

no but it does't surprise me. i heard roo has it wrapped up and his speech at the b & f was the clincher

esaint66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:no but it does't surprise me. i heard roo has it wrapped up and his speech at the b & f was the clincher

again this has started. what did roo actually say? :?
can someone post a link to a video. :D

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i caught the very end of it where the had kosi saying "the rotating thing worked but hes more of a traditionalist and feels it should be just one " (or somthing to that effect )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

bendigo bob wrote:Did anyone catch the channel 10 late sport news last night where they said the leadership group had taken a vote and decided to do away with multiple captains and to go with only one. They then had a small grab from Kosi who said it was the better way to go.

I didnt catch it all so I may have misinterpreted it but it did seem they are going to go that way. Suppose it will be up Ross Lyon to agree to it.

Anyone else see it?
I seen it all.

They just said that there would be only 1 Captain and who that is would be announced sometime next week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Captain or Captains should be announced tomorrow. Players voted on the leadership group this week apparently.

Coaching group will pick the coach.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Captain or Captains should be announced tomorrow. Players voted on the leadership group this week apparently.

Coaching group will pick the coach.
i remember last year expecting an announcement at the intraclub match (probably captaincy as well)

was a little disapointed not to get anything

my choice would be lenny but i would be very surprised if it isnt riewoldt

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have a feeling if it was up to players it would be Lenny but I think the coaching group may pick Rooy.

HarveysDeciple

plugger66 wrote: Coaching group will pick the coach.
wonder if Ross feels confident :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I have a feeling if it was up to players it would be Lenny but I think the coaching group may pick Rooy.
i think so, too, and a good decision imo. lenny also would be a very good skipper but since there can be only one ...

midas_touch
Club Player

Lenny has the mongrel and leadership by example that is seen in the archetype of a captain, however Roo is definitely the face of the club and is a complete professional in how he goes about his business. Both would be great captains for different reasons. I'd rather have Roo though, since he is a few years younger.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
chewyboots

Don't know how long it has been there but there's a video press release on the saints.com.au homepage with the blurb saying Luke ball is stepping aside from the captaincy in 2008.

Unfortunately, I can't get the video to play (crap website, crap bigpond video etc).

Can anyone else view it?

killa_gram
Club Player

I hope if it is Roo, he does a better job than last time. IMO his year as skipper wasn't overly impressive. I thought both Bally and Lenny did better jobs when they had it.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
yipper
SS Life Member

killa_gram wrote:I hope if it is Roo, he does a better job than last time. IMO his year as skipper wasn't overly impressive. I thought both Bally and Lenny did better jobs when they had it.

Probably cos he spent most of his year in the grandstand!! With a busted shoulder!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Lenny is the better captain no doubt, he has the potential to be a Voss like skipper.

Having said that I would give it to Riewoldt. Simple reason- Gold Coast team. What I hear I don't like & the captaincy will keep him at St.Kilda longer than the Vice Captaincy.

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Animal Enclosure wrote:Lenny is the better captain no doubt, he has the potential to be a Voss like skipper.

Having said that I would give it to Riewoldt. Simple reason- Gold Coast team. What I hear I don't like & the captaincy will keep him at St.Kilda longer than the Vice Captaincy.
I don't think there is any guarantee that giving someone the captaincy automatically makes them want to stay.

Leigh Colbert got given the captaincy down at Geelong and walked to the Roos

saintm
Club Player

TimeToShineFellas wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Lenny is the better captain no doubt, he has the potential to be a Voss like skipper.

I don't think there is any guarantee that giving someone the captaincy automatically makes them want to stay.

Leigh Colbert got given the captaincy down at Geelong and walked to the Roos
Has been a bit written in the off-season about a former West Coast premiership captain called Chris Judd, too. :)
Last edited by saintm on Thu 07 Feb 2008 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Our captain must be Rooey, without question.

He's a born leader and is our best player by half a mile, and should continue to be our best player for at least another 5 years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saintm wrote:Has been a bit written in the off-season about a former West Coast premiership captain called Chris Judd, too. :)
Oh that Judd guy, yeah forgot about him..........!

:lol:

Mr X from the West
Club Player

I think Lyon will go with co-captains - Lenny and Roo.

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr X from the West wrote:I think Lyon will go with co-captains - Lenny and Roo.
i don't think so. it will be roo captain, lenny deputy

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Yeah, I'd like to see Lenny and Roo as joint skippers for 2008.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
The Peanut
Club Player

Go Sretnias Go wrote:Yeah, I'd like to see Lenny and Roo as joint skippers for 2008.
Roo by a mile for mine - totally convinced after his speach and the B&F
Lenny for Vice Captain - a great player/leader/bloke
Bally was cheated by injuries but probably a better on and off-field leader than both.

ctqs
Club Player

Roo is certainly the public face of the club and would be good from a promotional point of view but like a couple of others have mentioned, Lenny is Voss-like on-field and has more spit to go with his polish than Riewoldt, if that makes sense.
I'd give it to Lenny but we - and the premiership cup - will be in good hands either way.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt has matured considerably as a footballer and a leader on and off the field since he last had the captaincy in 2005 IMO.

The way he played in the second half of 2007, as captain of the club, left me in no doubt as to the fact that he IS our leader.

IMO if you are in any doubt, grab a tape of the game against Adelaide and watch Riewoldt lift his team through sheer force of will that night.

He was captain through and through in 2007. The year began in circumstances he didn't like ... he overcame them and played half a season of the best football he has ever played.

He is the face of St Kilda.

He should be our captain.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.