Publicity and Promotion.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Publicity and Promotion.

Over the summer months I've been hearing and reading a lot of 'spin' about Carlton, Collingwood as usual, Essendon, Geelong, Nth. Melbourne, Hawthorn and to a lesser extent Melbourne and Richmond and virtually nothing about my own Club, the Saints.

Is the lack of detailed 'spin' through the media on our Club a programmed device by our Club, to keep everthing close to the chest so noone knows our advantages. Closed training sessions are the norm. Saints.com might have a couple of items of interest per week, that's all, nothing that is really going to tell us what our real position is.

Speculation abounds from posters on Saintsational, certainly keeps the site active but so much 'bulltish' prevails.

I would certainly like to see and hear a lot more official reporting from the Club to inform and promote the Club for all our benefit and satisfaction. Will our memberships swell as a result of increased good publicity and promotion - I'm sure it would.

Our new media guy from Adelaide, what's his name, Schmidt, has a big job ahead of him so get on with it and do it well.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that the club would have been shying away from publicity as much as it could up until NOW for a number of reasons;

1. We have a new Media Manager (after some time without one). He would need time to settle in

2. Allowing the dust to settle after the Board change (not that there was much dust to settle)

3. NEW MAJOR SPONSORS. It was only last week that the players, coaches etc were kitted out with gear with the new sponsors' logos attached.

4. There could also be other reasons known only within the inner workings of the club

I would expect that there would be some form of strategy in place to ramp up the publicity some time in the next few weeks (probably after the tennis is finished) !!

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

As long as we have a new TV ad, I don;t mind.

Something fierce and motivating, not daggy like the last one.

"'cuse we're the Saints, the time is now, signed, sealed delivered, join us now". :roll:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Content for now as we just need to be laying low for a little while...

No news is good news. If we really need to make a statement, I wouldn't mind seeing the boys have a real crack at winning the NAB Cup. That would mean more than any press release. Added to that, it would be nice to see us chalking up early wins - 2005, 2006 & 2007 were all marked by average early season form and red-hot/impressive form coming home.

Anyway, back to the thread - it will be very interesting to see how our media relations will be handled. It went pear-shaped for a while, but with everything looking positive on and off-field, it should be an easy task to handle the press this year.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On the one hand yes I would loike more publicity to push the club to grow membership...

On the other hand I am very happy for the club to have a low profile to just allow our players , coaches and conditioning team to quietly go aboout their business with minimal distraction.

Given our wasted opportunities over the last 3 seasons I am very content to go with the "other hand"...and lower profile.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda are always news, but I'm with others on this.

I reckon 2008 is the year we just let our football talk. Which it will.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Huzzad
Club Player

I think the quiet is good. It sucks cause we ache for news, but it means no artificial hype surrounding the club. A serious, realistic and focused pre-season with no off-field dramas. Last year it was injuries and a new coach, we've had fights, rape allegations and all sorts of unwanted attention. As they are saying, the football will do the talking. Lets enjoy the quiet while we can and concentrate on the season ahead of us.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We can always come on here for our "FOOTY FIX-SAINTS FIX". Generally if nothing is hapening someone will make something up and away we all go again :roll: :wink: !!

sainter35
Club Player

Eastern wrote:1. We have a new Media Manager (after some time without one). He would need time to settle in!
I didn't notice that.

Who is it?

GreatNo9s
Club Player

Matt Schmidt is the new media guy.
Ex-Fosters corporate communications - he was there for a long time in some good roles.
Very good operator.
Originally from Adelaide as opposed to the Power or Crows...

Who is the best number 9 for the Saints ?
sainter35
Club Player

Thanks for that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:As long as we have a new TV ad, I don;t mind.

Something fierce and motivating, not daggy like the last one.

"'cuse we're the Saints, the time is now, signed, sealed delivered, join us now". :roll:
Hear bloody hear..
re our marketing/communication attempts of late...

We have an awesome song, fantastic colors/brand, HUGE players in the game that are very marketable.....and we come up year after year with lame "cause were the saints....blah blah" sang by the local mentone primary school FFS...
:roll:

I agree time to get fierce - something stirring - something that says we have 1 year left for a legend of the game....., a new Board, a new future home, record members......something that says our time has arrived.

As for the media "spin" articles nup dont care - DO NOT want to read Luke Ball telling us in the Hun that this is his best pre-season ever.......just do it (now theres a slogan..)

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

agree Teffers and Ric, we need a meaty advertising campaign, something like "the players have busted their nut over summer, now it's time to bust open your wallet and join up NOW!"

Yes, I'll never make it in advertising, but it's an atempt!