Clinton Grybas Dead

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yep, by far the best and youngest and was the most approachable going around, a true professional, a huge and a sad loss :cry:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:Not sure if this is correct, but this is already on wikipedia.

A preliminary report indicates that Grybas died as a result of head injuries due to a sleep-walking induced accident.

I can't seem to find anything else on the net at the moment to back that up.
So sad. Incomprehensible really. Condolences to friends and family.

A year younger than me. As others have said it really makes you value what is important in your own life.

Re. cause of death, the Australian suggested that he had a day off work with a splitting headache last September. This points towards the possibililty that was due to a "warning bleed" of a sub-Arachnoid haemorrhage. If so, then that is doubly sad as this is a treatable, preventable condition if detected early enough.
i had something along those lines however when the haemorrhage came about i lost all feeling down one side and couldnt talk...if i wasnt rushed to hospital and everything sorted i would have surely died...scary huh

its still a major shock that i won't be seeing a commentator i respect and enjoy listening to dominate my screen and actually keep me entertained

only the good die young

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

sad news, but as I'm not a foxtel subscriber, I haven't heard him much on telly, just a bit on AW at times.

Made me also think, had they found him still alive, but then died say in hospital, how important is to be an organ donor.

Please consider organ donation.

Persuader
Club Player

And Sam Newman lives on.

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Persuader wrote:And Sam Newman lives on.
What a rubbish post.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A week on and it still does not seem real.......

His public service is tomorrow (Tuesday14)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 02396.html

Miki Perkins
January 15, 2008 - 1:01PM

More than 1000 people have farewelled popular sports commentator Clinton Grybas during an emotional funeral service in Melbourne's outer east.

Grybas' girlfriend, Laurenna Toulmin, appeared close to collapse after her partner's coffin was carried from the CityLife Church in Wantirna South following the service, which was open to the public.

Seemingly overcome by grief, Ms Toulmin — who paid tribute to Grybas during the service — was supported by his parents.

Mourners at the service for Grybas, who died earlier this month, included AFL boss Andrew Demetriou, former Kangaroos player Wayne Carey, Fairfax chairman Ron Walker and former Hawthorn player Robert "Dipper" DiPierdomenico.

The coffin arrived just before 11am in a minibus hearse, along with about 15 members of Grybas' family, as well as his girlfriend Ms Toulmin.

It was covered in dozens of white roses and adorned with black ribbons for his beloved AFL team Collingwood.

Grybas, 32, was found dead in his Southbank apartment on January 5. The cause of his death is still unknown.

He was acknowledged as one of Australian sports commentary's rising stars.

Having got his start at the ABC, Grybas quickly established himself as one of the country's most respected football callers.

At the time of his death, Grybas was working with pay-TV provider Foxtel and radio station 3AW.

Broadcaster and former cricketer Tony Charlton, AM, welcomed mourners to the service.

Charlton told mourners the coroner was still conducting tests in a bid to determine how Grybas died.

Grybas' brother, Ashley, addressed the service, saying his brother had "the best seat in the house" for any sporting event he could wish to see.

"We'll always love you Clint," the elder brother said tearfully.

His address was followed by an audio-visual tribute from Grybas' colleagues, featuring footage from throughout his commentating career.

3AW commentator Gerard Healy and the station's director of football, Graeme Bond, addressed the service, before Vanessa Amorosi sang Shine.

Ms Toulmin then paid tribute to her partner.

"I'm proud to say we were the sickeningly perfect couple," she said. "We did everything together."

She said her boyfriend provided a constant commentary for their life together.

"The best was when I got Clinton to mute the (TV) and I got my own personal call.

"Clinton was the best.

"He never seemed to stop commentating either, whether it was (on) my cooking or driving."

She said she had been told that Grybas had planned to propose to her, even asking a friend for advice on how to do so.

"Of course I would have said yes," she said.

"I'm just so grateful," she said of her relationship with Grybas.

Grybas will be buried at Andersons Creek cemetery in Warrandyte.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintm
Club Player

Was broadcast live on Sky News - was not a dry eye in the house here :(

RIP Clinton

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Also got to see most of the service on Sky..I thought Laurenna's eulogy incredibly brave and moving..as was Clinton's brothers'.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints94
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Also got to see most of the service on Sky..I thought Laurenna's eulogy incredibly brave and moving..as was Clinton's brothers'.
what was that?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

The eulogies can be found on this page:

http://www.mytalk.com.au/Stations/Talk/ ... rybas.aspx

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

my 86 year old mother and i used to watch white line fever ever night....when it was wound up, we sent clinton an e-mail....we got a very nice reply which i will cherish.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dont want to be harsh, or negative but I thought that Rex Hunts eulogy was all about him.

Mabye it is my bias toward Hunt but his exaggerated weeping was just being a show pony IMHO.

As I said, I am bias toward big noter show poy Hunt and he may have been genuine, however I cant take anything he says seriously when he is such a shameless self promoter.

Anyway Clinton it was clear you were loved and will be much missed

RIP.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:my 86 year old mother and i used to watch white line fever ever night....when it was wound up, we sent clinton an e-mail....we got a very nice reply which i will cherish.....
he sounded like genuinely nice bloke stinger and loved by all.

Apparently what he did for you and your mum was not anything out of the ordinary for him.

A real shame about his untimely death.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:my 86 year old mother and i used to watch white line fever ever night....when it was wound up, we sent clinton an e-mail....we got a very nice reply which i will cherish.....
Good on you Stinger for having those memories.

Seemed like a genuinely nice bloke who will be missed by all and this post of yours sums it up I reckon....

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

if some wish to see eulogies- the whole service can be found on sky news channel- press red.- just saw on the news update :(

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

10 days on and I still can't believe it.

Had tears in my eyes when I saw the Ch9 news tonight.
Its almost strange how much of an effect his death has had on the general public.

Rest In Peace Clinton!

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
StSteven
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Dont want to be harsh, or negative but I thought that Rex Hunts eulogy was all about him.

Mabye it is my bias toward Hunt but his exaggerated weeping was just being a show pony IMHO.

As I said, I am bias toward big noter show poy Hunt and he may have been genuine, however I cant take anything he says seriously when he is such a shameless self promoter.

Anyway Clinton it was clear you were loved and will be much missed

RIP.

You are not alone!

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Joffa - RE: your comments regarding Hunt - I expressed exactly the same statement at the time.

Definitely not the time not place / thread to digress - but I feel Clinton's passing could be the beginning of the end for Rex and a couple of other 3AW Commentary cronies from a professional viewpoint.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Agree to an extent about Rex's eulogy.

But I suppose they knew what they were getting in to when they asked him to eulogise.

Can't fault him on the fact that he liked and respected Grybus, spent plenty of time with him and is a very experienced public speaker.

When you think of it that way it makes sense that he was chosen to speak.

Just ironic and sad that the best and most balanced public speaker in the room happened to be the subject.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
yipper
SS Life Member

Joffa, when my son spent some time in the AW box during a game last year- or year before?? He was impressed with how Rex Hunt really was and how he looked up to Grybas. Clinton Grybas and Hunt became very good friends and I believe Rex will really miss Clinton the most. I think his career will again hit the crossroads without Clinton's calm and professional demeanor around him. But, from the way they were interacting that night - I'd say Rex's eulogy was genuine. He is taking his loss hard. No faking that.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:Joffa - RE: your comments regarding Hunt - I expressed exactly the same statement at the time.

Definitely not the time not place / thread to digress - but I feel Clinton's passing could be the beginning of the end for Rex and a couple of other 3AW Commentary cronies from a professional viewpoint.
disagree....remember Rex was up shyte creek with the whole mistress thingy and nearly everyone wanted to lynch him for a crime that was only between him and his wife, not the public remember....

Grybas gave a shyte for Rex the person and understood that.

I think what Rex was saying is that Grybas was above the muckraking and tall poppy kicking of most of the other journos.

Rex's sook seemed very genuine to me.