Saints in Best Shape For Years - Herald Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Saints in Best Shape For Years - Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

The Saints have been haunted by injuries in recent times but 39 out of a possible 45 players took part in a time-trial around Princes Park yesterday morning.

who are the six missing? attard...

F_Q_F
Club Player

From the article

Co-captains Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes were two who didn't take part but that was more precautionary than anything else.

The Saints big men - Justin Koschitzke, Fraser Gehrig, Michael Gardiner and recruit Steven King -- also didn't do the 3km run and instead jogged around a near-by grassed oval.

Attard, Riewoldt, Hayes, Kosi, Gehrig, Gardi and King

saintly
Saintsational Legend

full story

Saints in best shape for years
08 January 2008 Herald Sun
Scott Gullan

FINGERS are crossed, toes . . . the whole lot down at St Kilda at the moment because the new year has brought something new - fit players.

Fraser Gehrig and Justin Koschitzke at Princes Park yesterday. Picture: Michael Klein

The Saints have been haunted by injuries in recent times but 39 out of a possible 45 players took part in a time-trial around Princes Park yesterday morning.

Co-captains Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes were two who didn't take part but that was more precautionary than anything else.

The Saints big men - Justin Koschitzke, Fraser Gehrig, Michael Gardiner and recruit Steven King -- also didn't do the 3km run and instead jogged around a near-by grassed oval.

That was part of a new alternative program which has been devised to ensure they all get to the start of the season in perfect shape.

The trial was won by rookie Robert Eddy who went well under the 10-minute barrier with Jason Blake coming in second.

Veteran Robert Harvey was up the front of the pack, while Brendon Goddard showed his return from a knee reconstruction was on track.

Football manager Matthew Drain said there was a confidence around the club that the players fitness levels were at a new level.

The Saints have lured former Sydney fitness guru Dave Missen to Moorabbin this year and are hopeful his magic touch - he was an integral part of the Swans 2005 premiership success - rubs off.

With fitness levels improving, coach Ross Lyon is looking to some of the old names to provide a spark for his side as the Saints try to reverse their fortunes in 2008.

Lyon has earmarked St Kilda's new-found ruck strength as a key to the club's fortunes.

"Michael Gardiner said before Christmas it's the best he's felt in four years," the second-year coach said.

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Re: Saints in Best Shape For Years - Herald Sun

who are the six missing? attard...[/quote]

Those missing the time trial were : Gehrig, Attard, Macguire, Riewoldt, Hayes, Ball, Kosi, Gardiner and King - that's 9 leaving 36 doing the trial.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
yipper
SS Life Member

The intra-club is going to be a good-un this year!! I agree Chook - where's the new gear for the boys with the new sponsors logo??? The company's pumping in over 6 mil in the next 3 years, so the last thing they'd want to see is the crummy ex-sponsors logos plastered on the training gear!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Proberbly waiting for the new gear to arrive from China ! !

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Great news for us but my only question is why

didnt the others take part?

linz
Club Player

Well they should have been wearing plain T-Shirts until the new gear became available.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:Well they should have been wearing plain T-Shirts until the new gear became available.
Big chance the Herald-Sun recycled an old photo.

saintm
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
linz wrote:Well they should have been wearing plain T-Shirts until the new gear became available.
Also noticed at the inductees camp yesterday that the Saints player had a Vodafone logo on his polo shirt sleeve. There is a similar photo of Kosi and Fraser in the photos Saintbrat has in the training thread which was taken yesterday. All of those photos show the players with old sponsor logos.
Last edited by saintm on Tue 08 Jan 2008 9:56am, edited 2 times in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Also noticed at the inductees camp yesterday that the Saints player had a Vodafone logo on his polo shirt sleeve. Their is a similar photo of Kosi and Fraser in the photos Saintbrat has in the training thread and was taken yesterday.
Either that's really poor by the Saints, or the previous sponsorships haven't expired yet?

saintm
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
saintm wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Also noticed at the inductees camp yesterday that the Saints player had a Vodafone logo on his polo shirt sleeve. Their is a similar photo of Kosi and Fraser in the photos Saintbrat has in the training thread and was taken yesterday.
Either that's really poor by the Saints, or the previous sponsorships haven't expired yet?
Could be - but at the early pre-season press conferences (at least at the Frankston announcement) the Club reps had black polos with the Club logo and no sponsor logos.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Also noticed at the inductees camp yesterday that the Saints player had a Vodafone logo on his polo shirt sleeve. There is a similar photo of Kosi and Fraser in the photos Saintbrat has in the training thread which was taken yesterday. All of those photos show the players with old sponsor logos.
the photos in saintbrats thread are from this year (or late last year)
you can see a black adam schneider top running in the middle of the pack

kp83
Club Player

homework wrote:Great news for us but my only question is why

Read the article again and you will answer your own question.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Its possible the gear hasn't come back from ISC yet, or they are still deciding on designs, etc.

Still, its not great that we have to use the old stuff, basically free publicity for at least 2 companies that dumped us (not sure about SKins - did they leave us or the other way around?)

Saints94
SS Life Member

kp83 wrote:

Enlighten me!

Snakeman66
Club Player

homework wrote:
kp83 wrote:

Enlighten me!

That was part of a new alternative program which has been devised to ensure they all get to the start of the season in perfect shape.
It was in the article. Consider yourself enlightened. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Has anybody else heard this before?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:
kp83 wrote:

Enlighten me!
homie there is no point in sending an injury prone big man sector on a seemingly pointless time trial

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

Yah all these stories at this time of the year are always suger coated and the we`re in best shape of year form,,but netherless its still good just to read that gardiner is having a good pre-season,considering he hasnt even worn a match day jumper for the saints yet....bring it on. :P

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
RBnW
Club Player

riccardo wrote:Its possible the gear hasn't come back from ISC yet, or they are still deciding on designs, etc.

Still, its not great that we have to use the old stuff, basically free publicity for at least 2 companies that dumped us (not sure about SKins - did they leave us or the other way around?)
new training shirts arrived with the new sponsors logos on..... :P havnt seen them yet but I am sure we will see them from now on... :lol:

Our best is yet
to come......
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

a very positive article.

everyone looked happy.

i have a month off in february might try and make some training sessions!

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
HarveysDeciple

saintly wrote:
"Michael Gardiner said before Christmas it's the best he's felt in four years," the second-year coach said.
:D :D

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Article in the age todcay too:

Lyon starts new year full of confidence
January 9, 2008 - 1:20PM

Typical of Ross Lyon's wry outlook, the St Kilda coach says the AFL club had "interesting circumstances" when he joined them as senior coach last year.

But after a tumultuous debut season that featured a horrific run with injuries, numerous internal problems and a board takeover, Lyon starts the new year with justified confidence.

Most importantly for the Saints' on-field prospects, they overhauled their football department and so far appear to be finally making headway with their injury management.

Matt Maguire is back running, Michael Gardiner is training well and Brendon Goddard has had no setbacks in his comeback from a knee reconstruction.

"We're controlling the controllables, we've appointed a really good team of people and added resources," Lyon said.

"We knew we needed to do (it), at this stage we're getting results, but time will tell."

Maguire in particular has had a terrible run of luck, following the broken leg he suffered late in the 2006 season.

He managed 10 senior games last year, but is now recovering from a foot stress fracture.

Lyon said Maguire and Richmond's Nathan Brown, another player who has had to overcome a broken leg, would eventually return to top form consistently because they had the right attitude.

"That was frustrating for him, he's really had a rough run and we all appreciate that," Lyon said of Maguire's latest injury.

"He's such an incredibly hard worker, centre half-backs don't grow on trees.

"We're really confident he'll play football consistently this year.

"Players like (himself) and Nathan Brown, they've been through an enormous amount, but in the end they get there because they're so dedicated."

Lyon added Maguire and Goddard could resume during the NAB Cup.

The coach said he was watching the AFL coaching debuts of Essendon's Matthew Knights and Melbourne's Dean Bailey with interest as they go through what he experienced last year.

"I walked into a club in interesting circumstances, but we've worked through all that," he said.

"It's a united club, we've got some wonderful sponsorships on board.

"We've got a real stability ... some things do take time, we are settled.

"I felt in control last year, but the longer you're in a position - it's a steep learning curve, more off the field with media, sponsors and (the) board.

"I feel confident I've grown and I feel in control."

Lyon noted that all clubs would go into this season feeling they were legitimate finals chances.

"I was just thinking about it this morning, there's no cellar dwellers any more," he said.

"There wouldn't be a team in the competition that's not looking to make the eight, which I don't think you could have said the last few years, it's going to be a great year of football.

"Clearly Richmond have already signalled their intent with their aspirations and Carlton with (Chris) Judd and (Nick) Stevens back.

"I don't think there's anyone thinking 'geez, we're easybeats' ... the possibility for everyone at the moment is a premiership and finals, so that's where we're at."

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the article N1ck, good read, sounds typically Lyon-esque

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!