Training Report - Friday 14th December - Optus Oval

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LennyBoy
Club Player

The boy's were put through a really tough session mainly consisting of ballwork, endurance and team work exercises.

Having started 40 minutes earlier than the 10am advised (due to heat) the first half hour was light ball.

x x x <---------------> x x x

I noticed Kosi still did not take part in any part of the session, and was getting intensive physio off the field, while having a good laugh with the boys in the modified training group which includes King, Gardnier, Harvey, Bally, Bakes and Schnider.

Steven King appears to be in very good shape with his endurance work, and body looks to be holding up, as where Gardy seemed to be grasping for air alot, and stopping throughout his running program, and seems still to be carrying some injury niggles.

One stand out of the session for me was Charlie Gardnier who was very clean and a dead eye dick when it came to goal kicking.

Overall the session was only of a fair standard due to continual goal kicking misses, and poor marking which Ross Lyon was not happy with in the slightest. Three times he singled out the new kids, Ejay got the majority of the burst (laps, pushup's etc), which was good to see, welcome to AFL!!!

Anthony Rock and SOS did take major parts of training and worked mainly with individual groups of players. Sam Gilbert has bulked up is a sporting some new tan LOL, hopefully he hasnt lost any of his endurance and pace from last season that set him apart from the rest.

Lenny seemed to be moving freely and looking good with his running, as with Armitage who did a lot of midfield work, roveing from Riewoldt's marking attempts.

Sam Fisher is another who looks to have built up even more and is an chance to be a future leader given his vocal role on the track.

G-Train was just running laps, and will be heading back overseas in the next week or so.

Of the other drills, the circle work was of a good standard, with good run and intensity. Our new rookie kids all except (Chivers - nickname: JT (cry me a chiver) were all running laps which was good to see.

Overall the session was very intense, and a good learning experience for the younger kids. The boys still have plenty of work to do on the skills front, but essentially that is what preseason is for to refine our skills for match day pressure.

Interesting to see Cain Ackland hanging around with the boys for a good half an hour after training, and FEV sitting down and talking to Hayes, Dally and Rooey, he really does wanna be a Sainter. :wink:

Dal was off to get a facial while the other boy's went to Port Melbourne for lunch. :lol: Gram has a new number one fan also which I was talking to behind the goals, sorry riccardo your out of luck mate. :wink:

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Darren
Club Player

AWesome! Thanks for the report. :)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

armitage looked the goods in the preseason and then didn't do much duriing the year.

I hope in the next 2 to 4 seasons we see something special out of him.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
LennyBoy
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:armitage looked the goods in the preseason and then didn't do much duriing the year.

Thats why Armoooo (another poster on this forum) has both Dal and Rooey on his avatars and sig, in case Armo doesnt actually live up the hype surrounding him. :lol:

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

cheers for the report...did you find out why we were at optus and not moorabbin?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:armitage looked the goods in the preseason and then didn't do much duriing the year.

Thats why Armoooo (another poster on this forum) has both Dal and Rooey on his avatars and sig, in case Armo doesnt actually live up the hype surrounding him. :lol:
Last edited by ausfatcat on Fri 14 Dec 2007 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:

Lol dam right!!
But imagine if Armo does come good, I'm going to have the best username/ avatar/ sig combo going around :P :lol:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
eppo67
Club Player

Armitage has just had his first shave for God's sake.

Give him a year or 2 he is going to be a gun. How old where Gram and Monti before they got a kick.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Armitage has just had his first shave for God's sake.

Give him a year or 2 he is going to be a gun. How old where Gram and Monti before they got a kick.
Love the optimism, it's just a bit upsetting seeing Joel Selwood and Travis Boak dominating already....

He should become a quality player, I just hope he progresses in time to get Harvey his flag...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Report - Friday 14th December - Optus Oval

LennyBoy wrote:Chivers - nickname: JT (cry me a chiver)
Nice :D

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training Report - Friday 14th December - Optus Oval

nice report!
Last edited by saintdooley on Fri 14 Dec 2007 10:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Armitage has just had his first shave for God's sake.

Love the optimism, it's just a bit upsetting seeing Joel Selwood and Travis Boak dominating already....

He should become a quality player, I just hope he progresses in time to get Harvey his flag...
Absouletely no need to worry...It is very rare for players to do as well as Joel, Travis and Andrejs Everitt in their first years.

Armitage isnt alone in not showing heaps at senior level in one year.

Gibbs - Played most games but for Carlton. Doing ok, good for a first year.

Gumbleton - Began to get a run late in the season. Showed he will be able to hold a key forward position in a few years.

Hansen - Struggled in his few games. Shouldn't be expecting too much from a first year key defender.

Leuenburger - Brisbane made a decision to play him in the second half of the season. Competed well at senior level, very inconsistent though.

Boak - Played exceptionally well for a first year player.

Thorp - Got a small taste, one game. Struggled but looks good for a first year player.

Selwood - Very rare. Young leader of a premiership club. Interesting to see how he handles the second year blues.

Reid - Fits in well at Collingwood, played a few games and showed he is a capable new-age key forward. Kicking is suspect.

Armitage - Played the three games. Struggled with the huge step up but looks a likely type.

N.Brown - No games, i think. Cant expect much from a key defender.

Armitage is really right on average for a top ten pick at the moment. However addmittably he has shown the least out of the midfielders taken in the top ten. No need to be worried, yet. He has all the right attributes; pace, strength, agility, endurance.
Last edited by SaintBot on Fri 14 Dec 2007 6:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thanks LennyBoy !!

Fantastic Report. Much appreciated !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I agree that there is no need to be worried yet... He showed more than Ried IMO...

Hansen was a let down, wasn't expecting him to dominate but I thought that he would atleast contribute...

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks for the Report LennyBoy.

Much Appreciated :wink:

Batnoe

Armiatage and endurance don't go.

That is why he struggled at AFL level, if his skills are good and he was fit he would be in the team

Skills are good but not fit, 3 games in first year

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:Armiatage and endurance don't go.

That is why he struggled at AFL level, if his skills are good and he was fit he would be in the team

Skills are good but not fit, 3 games in first year
he was tenth in both the beep test and the 3km time trial at draft camp in 2006

suggests that he does have a bit of a motor

GRAMophone
Club Player

Thanks LennyBoy. Very entertaining. Great to hear about Charlie Gardiner!! Any 'dead eye dick' in front of goals is VERY welcome at the saints.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gramophone***111 wrote:Thanks LennyBoy. Very entertaining. Great to hear about Charlie Gardiner!! Any 'dead eye dick' in front of goals is VERY welcome at the saints.
Well he may be at training but form thoughout his career suggests far from a dead eye dick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Some other interesting things out of the 3km time trial they had before training was Eddy won in 9.53 with the usual suspects up the front. Jarryd Allen was last in 11.30 or so but it was his best time apparently.

Having run a hard 3km before training wouldnt of helped their skills at training as they would have beeen buggered.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

thats why I said 2 to 4 years.

IMO we invest in kids we give them time.

montagna = masterclass player, for the previous 3 seasons folks have wanted him traded for a round 3 pick. :roll:

2007 one of our best players.

kids take time.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks guys
I noticed Kosi still did not take part in any part of the session, and was getting intensive physio off the field, while having a good laugh with the boys in the modified training group which includes King, Gardnier, Harvey, Bally, Bakes and Schnider
of course he wasn't as stated in articles recently he trains tue and thur not Mon wed or fri :wink:

and re- stating saintbot's question
anyone find out why they trained at princes park and not moorabbin.?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:thanks guys
I noticed Kosi still did not take part in any part of the session, and was getting intensive physio off the field, while having a good laugh with the boys in the modified training group which includes King, Gardnier, Harvey, Bally, Bakes and Schnider
of course he wasn't as stated in articles recently he trains tue and thur not Mon wed or fri :wink:

and re- stating saintbot's question
anyone find out why they trained at princes park and not moorabbin.?
i think plugger66 said they had a 3k run.
thats probably why.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If Armo doesn't show anything in 2008 I assume we can demote him to the rookie list and keep him on the cheap in 2009?

I fully expect that to happen a lot now with 6 rookies (as we did with McQ).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:If Armo doesn't show anything in 2008 I assume we can demote him to the rookie list and keep him on the cheap in 2009?

I fully expect that to happen a lot now with 6 rookies (as we did with McQ).
That will not happen unless he is hopeless and then you wouldnt want him anyway. Not after only 2 years in any case.