24 L Miles St Kilda Swan Districts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigmicka
Club Player

24 L Miles St Kilda Swan Districts

Anyone know anything about him?

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

http://www.footygoss.com/main/club_news ... _top_swan/
Miles is top Swan
Posted Oct 6, 2007 - 7:32 AM

Young Swan Districts defender Luke Miles took home the 2007 Swan Medal on Friday night at the club’s best and fairest count.

The 20-year-old, in just his second season of WAFL foootball won the award from Dennis Armfield, Josh Roberts, Nick Ingall, Tallan Ames and Dean Ipaviz.

Miles played in 19 matches for Swans in 2007, averaging 14 disposals per match. He also booted nine goals.

Clint Gribble and Steve Potente won the reserves and colts best and fairest awards respectively.

« Back

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Luke Miles
Swan Districts (WAFL)
DOB: 30/10/1986
Height: 191cm
Weight: 78kg

Plays as a defender, and played 19 matches in the WAFL this year.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.swandistrictsfc.com/lmiles.html

Luke Miles
Number: 52
League Debut: 2006
Position: Utility
Date of Birth: 30/10/1986
Place of Birth; WA,br> Height: 191cm
Weight: 78kg
Recruited From: Guildford Grammer
Player you have modeled your game on (and why): Dustin Fletcher, a successful and hard back man
Advice you could offer a young footballer: Take 3 steps to steady when kicking
My first job: Yard Hand at Swantrax (Earth Moving Equipment) Any other sporting stars in your family:
Something you are always being reminded about (on or off the field): Take risks
What CD do you have playing in your car: The Electric Mile - G. Love & Special Sauce
Who will win this year's Sandover Medal: Josh Roberts

Red
Club Player

Luke also broke the 20m sprint record when he went to the state screening

in October - 2.72 seconds.

savatage
SS Life Member

Speed is Strength for 'Old' Miles

Burgeoning Swans tall Luke Miles is breaking new ground for the modern fullback.

When strength used to be the prerequisite for football's muscle bound stoppers, Miles uses blinding speed as his key defensive weapon.

The former athletics champion was playing reserves last year for swans, but may be drafted into the AFL in two weeks.
After his stunning emergence to win this year's Swan Medal, Miles sent his stocks skyward, smashing the 200m AFL draft camp sprint record last month.

Cut in the mould of Essendon's Dustin Fletcher, Miles can find top speed from a standing start in three or four steps.

He has attracted the interest of at least two AFL clubs, including Hawthorn, and is hoping recruiters see enough potential in his quick flashes to give him a dream shot at the big league.

"Obviously I got outmuscled at times this year but that's where my speed comes into it and just being able to spoil, play off my own opponent a bit and kick a few goals," Miles said.

"Playing a few league games has really helped my confidence and my timing in that I can now read the play a bit better, understand it and strike with my speed."

At 21, Miles will be measured alongside the country's top under 18 talent at the November 24 draft meeting in Melbourne, but believes his age gives him an edge.

"I know what it's like to step up to play league footy, so just having that experience gives me an advantage," he said.

"But I'm not worried. If it (gets drafted) happens, it happens. I'm more than happy to keep playing at Swans, which is where my goals and achievements have centred around."

His laid back approach is underlined in his decision to spend draft day on the golf course, unlike the thousands of other hopefuls who will be glued to their television and computer screens.

It is a remarkable transition foe a man who had all but kissed his AFL ambitions goodbye, happily resigned to playing in the WAFL.

Last year's mark of 18 WA teens drafted could be eclipsed, with local combatants West Coast and Fremantle set to play a big part.

As many as five WA juniors could be snapped up in the first round alone, headed by the highly rated Cale Morton from Claremont, Chris Masten and Rhys Palmer from East Fremantle, David Myers from Perth and from Swan Districts Alex Rance, the son of former Swans champion Murray Rance.

Jay Clark
Sunday Times

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saints.com.au has

Name: Luke Miles
Recruited From: SWAN DISTRICTS
Height: 185.8cm Weight: 78.8kg
Position: Medium midfielder
Bio: Medium-sized player with great speed and agility. Clocked an impressive 2.73sec for 20m at WA State Screening Session in 2007, along with 7.83sec for the agility test – the quickest times measured at all NAB AFL Draft testing this year.

So the bigpond guys may have to sharpen up a bit.....as al the other sites suggest otherwise...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

From BigFooty from someone who is a Swan Districts fan:
Played FB in the main at Swans, but could be a flanker, as is very, very quick - 2.78 sec 20m sprint at SS in Perth and equalled the vertical jump record. Just turning 21 this month and won the B&F for Swans this year.

In the WAFL he would usually take a screamer per match, or at the very least try. Kicking may be suspect, but not in the league of Clint Jones bad. Would often go forward and kick a goal or two, from defence, so is a very attacking defender. I'm sure he'll put the work in to take his chance. Very sasd he left Swans, but these boys have to move forwards and upwards. Good luck guys and look after him well.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:From BigFooty from someone who is a Swan Districts fan:
Played FB in the main at Swans, but could be a flanker, as is very, very quick - 2.78 sec 20m sprint at SS in Perth and equalled the vertical jump record. Just turning 21 this month and won the B&F for Swans this year.

In the WAFL he would usually take a screamer per match, or at the very least try. Kicking may be suspect, but not in the league of Clint Jones bad. Would often go forward and kick a goal or two, from defence, so is a very attacking defender. I'm sure he'll put the work in to take his chance. Very sasd he left Swans, but these boys have to move forwards and upwards. Good luck guys and look after him well.
quick, suspect kick, tall, defender who can kick goals?

sounds like sammy gilbert :D

Saints94
SS Life Member

SaintBot wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:From BigFooty from someone who is a Swan Districts fan:

Woudn't it be great to have another Sammy Gilbo at the club :)

quick, suspect kick, tall, defender who can kick goals?

sounds like sammy gilbert :D

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Found this on a Bulldogs board...

Luke Miles shatters Koops record

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20yr old West Australian Luke Miles smashed Steven Koops 12 yr old sprint record on Sunday at the WA based trials. He ran the 20m in 2.72secs and only just missed the vertical leap record by mm's. This followed a stellar season playing as a dashing defender for Swan Districts (wafl) where Miles picked up the best and fairest.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

BelfastSaint wrote:20yr old West Australian Luke Miles smashed Steven Koops 12 yr old sprint record on Sunday at the WA based trials. He ran the 20m in 2.72secs and only just missed the vertical leap record by mm's. This followed a stellar season playing as a dashing defender for Swan Districts (wafl) where Miles picked up the best and fairest.
Would he be the fastest player in the AFL now ??

He must be Lightning quick 8-)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Folks, you are looking at St. Kilda's next full back.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:saints.com.au has

Name: Luke Miles
Recruited From: SWAN DISTRICTS
Height: 185.8cm Weight: 78.8kg
Position: Medium midfielder
Bio: Medium-sized player with great speed and agility. Clocked an impressive 2.73sec for 20m at WA State Screening Session in 2007, along with 7.83sec for the agility test – the quickest times measured at all NAB AFL Draft testing this year.
So the bigpond guys may have to sharpen up a bit.....as al the other sites suggest otherwise...

Can anybody confirm his actual height? 185 or 191? I can see a full back at 191. not at 185 though.

claystreet
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Folks, you are looking at St. Kilda's next full back.
Gets into full pace in a few strides
dont discount a future FF

Megamaguire
Club Player

"Democracy was born out of a desire to prevent the concentration of power in the hands of ruling families and individuals.

If Hilary Clinton wins the Presidency, the same two families will have controlled the US for a quarter of a century."

Just hope Hilary Clinton does replace the president with dictatorial tendencies and introduce a more equal and democratic health system for the fless privilaged folks in the USA and face up to climate change the way bush hasn't. America will be much more democratic than either of the bushes could envisage.

Echoing you however on young Luke - hoping he helps the Saints go the extra 'mile' (sorry about that). In all seriousness if we get just one speed merchant who can hold down a spot in the best 22 we'll be winning preliminary finals

G O S A I N T S!

G O H I L A R Y !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

dont get too excited !
remember 16 clubs including us over looked him in the national draft !
and lets be honest swan districts isnt the best team in the WAFL so it prob wasnt a big feat to make thier starting 22
lets wait and see befor we hail him our saviour after all i remember the same excitment over CJ that quickly turned into bagging of the bloke

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
dont get too excited !
remember 16 clubs including us over looked him in the national draft !
We used the national draft to pick players 17 years old (bottom age), and no-one really wants to hook up a 21 year old that has yet to be drafted by an AFL club on a 2 year deal.

Also, how many teams need a developing full back, compared to us.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Also, full backs are more about physical attributes rather than football skill. Most of the football related knowledge can be taught, rather than relying on instinct like the attacking players do.

This guy has it, closing speed, agility, except perhaps the Height. It would be interesting to see his reach in cm, as well as standing leap.

claystreet
Club Player

G train was a FB and now a very successful FF
dont discount anything

BradWA
Club Player

Pised OFF

About losing Luke from my WAFL club
But Good luck
He is going to be a GUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Bloody great footballer

The Moderator Nazi,s strike again, Oh forgot, shyt im not in the purple circle.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

as i said CJ came with simmilar wraps last year and there seems to be a bevey of ppl on here who are keen to sink the boot to him .
im glad weve got another WA boy in the squad thou and much like i support CJ as a player ill support Luke but lets not get too carried away with our expectations on him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:im glad weve got another WA boy in the squad thou and much like i support CJ as a player ill support Luke but lets not get too carried away with our expectations on him
CJ was great pre-collarbone. I hope that he can return to that form, as well as improve his kicking skills. Extremely hard at it, but his kicking is bad, and cannot read AFL level play very well. I think that's the biggest issue for the older guys, getting used to AFL level speed of play, when you've been at the VFL/WAFL/SA(N)FL for a few years.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:im glad weve got another WA boy in the squad thou and much like i support CJ as a player ill support Luke but lets not get too carried away with our expectations on him
CJ was great pre-collarbone. I hope that he can return to that form, as well as improve his kicking skills. Extremely hard at it, but his kicking is bad, and cannot read AFL level play very well. I think that's the biggest issue for the older guys, getting used to AFL level speed of play, when you've been at the VFL/WAFL/SA(N)FL for a few years.
thats right its a big change of pace to come to the AFL some players thrive off it and step up that level others dont thats why i say we should wait and see how luke goes b4 we start getting overly excited

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bump

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....