misson impossible/herald sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

misson impossible/herald sun

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html

MEET St Kilda's star recruit for next season, the club's new fitness boss, David Misson.

While Misson doesn't have the profile of Steven King or the potential of draftee Ben McEvoy, he is likely to have more bearing on the Saints' premiership hopes.

Misson has arrived at the injury-plagued St Kilda fresh from a seven-year stint in Sydney where he transformed the Swans into the AFL's Mr Indestructibles.

mischa
Club Player

Yeah but they didn't have to play at Telstra Dome week in, week out....

RBnW
Club Player

I think we have got the right people in the right places this year, great work Footy First and Westaway camp and even better work that its not the President out front spinning to us how good he is and then not backing it up, let the troops do that work and the talking.
Misson sounds impressive and has the credentials to deliver and get the right people around him, 10 in conditioning is big, we all know that when we get our best on the ground more often we are unstopable.
This is great news a system and good people to deliver it, Harvs might play on to 40...

Our best is yet
to come......
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

"It's mainly been about getting the right people in, rather than toys and equipment and technology."

Indeed.....and having the right people to choose the right people....

Titles mean nothing....business speak counts for naught......you either know what you are doing or you don't.....and no amount of jargon can stop mistakes from being made if you don't really know what you are doing.....or do not have the expertise an skill.

Fitness and list management was for a while the case of the blind leading the blind with the Saints stumbling around.

I think with Ross and the new swag of conditioning guys we once again havea team of guys who know what they are doing and are going about things in a well reasoned and logical way.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:I think we have got the right people in the right places this year, great work Footy First and Westaway camp and even better work that its not the President out front spinning to us how good he is and then not backing it up, let the troops do that work and the talking.
Misson sounds impressive and has the credentials to deliver and get the right people around him, 10 in conditioning is big, we all know that when we get our best on the ground more often we are unstopable.
This is great news a system and good people to deliver it, Harvs might play on to 40...
Talking of spin...you are doing a pretty fair job of it yourself of late....many of the appointments were made before FF gained control.....and Archie has for some time been making the announcements rather than the President on staff and players.

Misson was being chashed for a while and was announced on Sept 28.
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/m ... 80831.html

FootyFirst and Westaway did not get in till the previous board resigned on October 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So give credit where credit is due......Misson did not come from FF efforts but from the previous group.

also from The Australian..

Jenny McAsey | September 15, 2007
THE behind-the-scenes fitness expert who played a crucial role in getting Sydney to successive grand finals is set to take his secrets to another club.

Dave Misson, one of the masterminds of the system that made Sydney's injury list the shortest in the league, is moving to Melbourne and may join forces with former Swans assistant and St Kilda coach Ross Lyon.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 05 Dec 2007 12:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Misson came from nowhere except Ross Lyon and Archie Fraser.

Great article ... it will take him a couple of pre-seasons, but at last we have someone with a proven track record who is intent on hanging around and delivering success in the injury management area.

I'm so positive about the club at the moment ... we've got the absolute best people in every position and a great list, with some terrific stuff happening off-field.

Be Happy.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Misson came from nowhere except Ross Lyon and Archie Fraser.

Great article ... it will take him a couple of pre-seasons, but at last we have someone with a proven track record who is intent on hanging around and delivering success in the injury management area.

I'm so positive about the club at the moment ... we've got the absolute best people in every position and a great list, with some terrific stuff happening off-field.

Be Happy.
I am very happy.....but there is a lot of spin that all the good news is ALL due to FF...when quite frankly on the player conditioning and fitness side most of the changes were already in place or at least well underway.

Lets hope that FF "aids" the process by also supplying better equipment etc....I certainly believe that we will.

As to Ross..I know that he put to the previous Board early in his reign that he was quite shocked as to the Saints Systems and Processes in player conditioning and fitness. The previous Board backed him and supported going about rectifying things as per Ross's requirements....just as they had backed the previous coaches calls in this reagrd (which proved to be our undoing).

Naturally Archie the CEO and Ross were the implementers....but the previous Board supported the change in direction which also included Ross Smith and the AIS sub-committee..

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Surely its not going to take a few pre-seasons to get it right ? Maybe getting the players individual strength and fitness programs 100% might take a couple of years, but I would have thought if these guys are as good as the spin says then we would see a definite improvement in injury management this year, fitness improvements this year, fade out reductions this year....and Muscle mass, strength and endurance improvement towards the end of this year.

I'm not a professional working in this area, so I'm no expert - but we seem to have assembled enough conditioning talent (with exception of the guys at NASA) to be able to make some judgement calls ie Surely if there arent improvements in the next 12 - 18 months we should face up to the fact its gotta be more about where our guys play most of their games and not about training methods etc.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

im quite happy with the way we are taking the best bits away from sydney i.e. schnieder/dempster for a speculative pick in a poor draft...we have seemingly taken the brains trust behind the accountable midfield of the swans...and now their fitness guru

ta sydney...

if carlton can make a history of buying everyone half decent well its about time that we got in on the act

keep up the good work

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Zed wrote:Surely its not going to take a few pre-seasons to get it right ? Maybe getting the players individual strength and fitness programs 100% might take a couple of years, but I would have thought if these guys are as good as the spin says then we would see a definite improvement in injury management this year, fitness improvements this year, fade out reductions this year....and Muscle mass, strength and endurance improvement towards the end of this year.

I'd like to think that we will see some improvement next season in regards to player-availability/fitness levels but i don't think we'll see the full results of these new structures until at least 2009. As Misson says in the Herald Sun article - a lot of his sydney success was down to building up specific data on individual players and using that data to design specific programs for individuals. Its hard to know how much data Misson will have gathered from the players already...i doubt whether he will have enough from their previous seasons, well not specific data anyways.

While the Swans' injury prevention techniques have reached mythical proportions, they are based on fitness staff providing individual programs for players designed by intensive feedback and "wellness" ratings.

I doubt whether Misson and his staff wouldve been able to gather much feedback on "wellness" over barely 2 months.