Maguire & Harvey Injury Update

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbart
Club Player

Maguire & Harvey Injury Update

Reading today's Herald Sun (in the 'Footy Shorts' section) I came across this:

"St Kilda defender Matt Maguire has had surgery on a stress fracture in his left foot, which has delayed his recovery by several weeks.

Scans nearly two weeks ago showed Maguire had a hotspot in the foot that troubled him in 2007. He was expected to miss four to six weeks.

But the club has since decided to stabalise the 23-year-old's foot with a screw to ensure he makes a full recovery.

The club is confident Maguire will be fit to play in Round 1. He played just 10 games this year in his comeback from a broken leg.

Meanwhile, Robert Harvey is close to resuming full training after injuring his calf in his first pre-season session.

Harvey has been running for a fortnight, amid conflicting reports on the calf damage.

Despite speculation Harvey suffered an 8cm tear in the calf, the club says the injury was only a minor tweak."

Saints94
SS Life Member

Re: Maguire & Harvey Injury Update

saintbart wrote:Reading today's Herald Sun (in the 'Footy Shorts' section) I came across this:

"St Kilda defender Matt Maguire has had surgery on a stress fracture in his left foot, which has delayed his recovery by several weeks.

Scans nearly two weeks ago showed Maguire had a hotspot in the foot that troubled him in 2007. He was expected to miss four to six weeks.

But the club has since decided to stabalise the 23-year-old's foot with a screw to ensure he makes a full recovery.

The club is confident Maguire will be fit to play in Round 1. He played just 10 games this year in his comeback from a broken leg.

Meanwhile, Robert Harvey is close to resuming full training after injuring his calf in his first pre-season session.

Harvey has been running for a fortnight, amid conflicting reports on the calf damage.

Despite speculation Harvey suffered an 8cm tear in the calf, the club says the injury was only a minor tweak."
Is Harves injury the one that he injured against the Tigers?

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:
saintbart wrote:Reading today's Herald Sun (in the 'Footy Shorts' section) I came across this:

no i believe he and xavier clarke tore their calves doing a triathlon or something

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
homework wrote:

no i believe he and xavier clarke tore their calves doing a triathlon or something
tore??? god thats a bit serious...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2006 wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
homework wrote:

tore??? god thats a bit serious...
Minor

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

yeh sorry..shouldve mentioned it was a small tear

could be wrong on all counts though...anybody able to confirm?

saintbart
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:yeh sorry..shouldve mentioned it was a small tear

Well the last line in the article says that it is only a small tweak, not a tear. The article also says that the 'tweak' occured during the first pre-season session.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

really hope goose can get himself right and back to the boom chb he was a couple of seasons ago.

watching a couple of the 2004 winning streak videos the other night i'd forgotten just how impressive goose was in some of those games and how infectious his confidence was on the rest of the team.

a fit and firing matty maguire is key to our chances this season so here's wishing him a quick and successful recovery

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintbart wrote:

Well the last line in the article says that it is only a small tweak, not a tear. The article also says that the 'tweak' occured during the first pre-season session.
He did tear his calf and I was told it was 8cm...

But that happened weeks ago

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Anybody heard or seen Kosi actually do any training lately?

I know he was at both open sessions but did he actually train?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Anybody heard or seen Kosi actually do any training lately?

I know he was at both open sessions but did he actually train?
I've also wondered about this, I haven't managed to make it to any training sessions yet however I have thought the lack of Kosi news is a worrying sign...

I'm not a physio or anything like that so I don't know anything, I'm merely speculating but I would think that Kosi would be doing most of his training indoors, working on his aerobic capacity to help him finish off a game as well as spending a lot of times with physios to get his legs right, I think give him a couple of practise matches along with a strong fitness base and he would be right to dominate from round 1....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbart
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
saintbart wrote:

Well the club's official line is a tweak, not a tear and Harvey is running now at training

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbart wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
saintbart wrote:

Well the club's official line is a tweak, not a tear and Harvey is running now at training
X and Harvs tore their calf on 6km run on the 30th October so it was pretty serious as they have both just started running again.

saintbart
Club Player

So it seems by this example that we are still going to have this 'cloak and daggers' approach when it comes to reporting a player's injuries - I like to call the 'A. Hamill 2 weeks' approach.

And here is another example by the club to report Harvey's injury as a 'tweak', when reliable sources on here report this as a tear.

Here we go again... :roll:

RBnW
Club Player

saintbart wrote:So it seems by this example that we are still going to have this 'cloak and daggers' approach when it comes to reporting a player's injuries - I like to call the 'A. Hamill 2 weeks' approach.

And here is another example by the club to report Harvey's injury as a 'tweak', when reliable sources on here report this as a tear.

harvey was running yesterday, it was a closed session but I know for a fact he was running laps, i spoke to someone who had a meeting at the club and they said that they saw Harvs running laps with X.
maybe its a 8mm tear..... :lol:

Our best is yet
to come......
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
saintbart wrote:So it seems by this example that we are still going to have this 'cloak and daggers' approach when it comes to reporting a player's injuries - I like to call the 'A. Hamill 2 weeks' approach.

harvey was running yesterday, it was a closed session but I know for a fact he was running laps, i spoke to someone who had a meeting at the club and they said that they saw Harvs running laps with X.
hes been running laps for over a week now...nowhere near as many as the other players though

looks frustrated about something so i doubt he is at full fitness yet

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:

The injury was five odd weeks ago :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If he has only just started running then it would have been a major tear. He did it at the end of October, so he spent about a month without running.

And words the club throws around like tweak and strain are dummed-down synonyms of tear. People get concerned when they hear the word tear so they like to hear softer words.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:If he has only just started running then it would have been a major tear. He did it at the end of October, so he spent about a month without running. And words the club throws around like tweak and strain are dummed-down synonyms of tear. People get concerned when they hear the word tear so they like to hear softer words.
i just wish they'd be open and honest about injuries. smells like aaron hamill - two weeks.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:If he has only just started running then it would have been a major tear. He did it at the end of October, so he spent about a month without running. And words the club throws around like tweak and strain are dummed-down synonyms of tear. People get concerned when they hear the word tear so they like to hear softer words.
i just wish they'd be open and honest about injuries. smells like aaron hamill - two weeks.
Yeah I do to but the main thing is that he is jogging and should be right after the Christmas break

RBnW
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
there is a big difference between a tear of the calf and a knee operation on a knee that has caused problems with a player who hadn't played more that 20 games in 3 years.......and kept on re injuring him self when he was coming back from operations........we are going to have a few injuries in a pre season if the players are being pushed hard, from what i hear they are working harder that previous years, Misson likes running hard early.
At least Harvs is in better hands as far as coming back from injury, Misson has a great record of getting and keeping players available, so does Wallace, give them a go and lets see how many players we use this year...if anyone can get Harvs through a season its the guy who got o'laughlin through for the past 2 years without training during the week..and if they don't tell us and we use less players than anyone else i don't care....

Our best is yet
to come......
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
there is a big difference between a tear of the calf and a knee operation on a knee that has caused problems with a player who hadn't played more that 20 games in 3 years.......and kept on re injuring him self when he was coming back from operations........we are going to have a few injuries in a pre season if the players are being pushed hard, from what i hear they are working harder that previous years, Misson likes running hard early.
At least Harvs is in better hands as far as coming back from injury, Misson has a great record of getting and keeping players available, so does Wallace, give them a go and lets see how many players we use this year...if anyone can get Harvs through a season its the guy who got o'laughlin through for the past 2 years without training during the week..and if they don't tell us and we use less players than anyone else i don't care....
was not a sledge on misson. just an observation that all clubs, including st kilda, tend to tell pork pies about injuries and i wish they wouldn't. i'd be interested to know how m. gardiner is coming on, for instance.

when can we expect to see him?

RBnW
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
RBnW wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
was not a sledge on misson. just an observation that all clubs, including st kilda, tend to tell pork pies about injuries and i wish they wouldn't. i'd be interested to know how m. gardiner is coming on, for instance.

when can we expect to see him?
I think he is training and running at close to full pace and doing most of the work anyone else heard otherwise..........???

Our best is yet
to come......
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:I think he is training and running at close to full pace and doing most of the work anyone else heard otherwise?
so if we get a couple of pre-season games into him he might be okay for round 1?

sounds encouraging