What a forward line

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Barney2
Club Player

What a forward line

We would just about have one of the most potent forward lines in the league next year with G back. Add in Rooey, Kosy, Schneider, Milne and others. doesn't get better than this. All they need is the delivery from Monty, BJ, Lenny, and Del etc and we are set up for a great year assuming injuries and suspensions don't take their toll.

nathan000
Club Player

Re: What a forward line

Barney2 wrote:We would just about have one of the most potent forward lines in the league next year with G back. Add in Rooey, Kosy, Schneider, Milne and others. doesn't get better than this. All they need is the delivery from Monty, BJ, Lenny, and Del etc and we are set up for a great year assuming injuries and suspensions don't take their toll.
it should be as deadly as 2004, if not deadlier.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a forward line

nathan000 wrote:
Barney2 wrote:We would just about have one of the most potent forward lines in the league next year with G back. Add in Rooey, Kosy, Schneider, Milne and others. doesn't get better than this. All they need is the delivery from Monty, BJ, Lenny, and Del etc and we are set up for a great year assuming injuries and suspensions don't take their toll.
it should be as deadly as 2004, if not deadlier.
It looks lethal on paper.

But we play on grass, not paper, and I worry about Gehrig's flexibility and mobility, and Milne's stupidity.

Hopefully they are eclipsed by Kosi holding down FF full time and Schneider taking much of the small-man goal duties.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Richter
SS Life Member

It does look great. What I worry about is the lack of "forward pressure" - lets be honest Riewoldt (though he tries), Milne (too small) and Gehrig can't lay effective tackles. That's a big problem and leads to clubs being easily able to rebound against us.

I'm hoping that Schneider is an ok tackler and proves to be as effective a goal sneak as Milne so that we can line up......

HF Kosi Riewoldt Midfielder
F Schneider Gehrig X. Clarke

Add in BJ/Blake/Gardiner to the tall/medium forward rotations and Milne/mids to the small forward rotations and we look ok.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:It does look great. What I worry about is the lack of "forward pressure" - lets be honest Riewoldt (though he tries), Milne (too small) and Gehrig can't lay effective tackles. That's a big problem and leads to clubs being easily able to rebound against us.

I'm hoping that Schneider is an ok tackler and proves to be as effective a goal sneak as Milne so that we can line up......

HF Kosi Riewoldt Midfielder
F Schneider Gehrig X. Clarke

Add in BJ/Blake/Gardiner to the tall/medium forward rotations and Milne/mids to the small forward rotations and we look ok.
Actually I reckon the main problem with teams rebounding against us were not so much our F50 tackling pressure (although I still pine for Sammy H to be in there) but more the 9 defenders against Roo and G once we had spent 10 mins and 34 lateral chip kicks getting the ball inside 50

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Actually I reckon the main problem with teams rebounding against us were not so much our F50 tackling pressure (although I still pine for Sammy H to be in there) but more the 9 defenders against Roo and G once we had spent 10 mins and 34 lateral chip kicks getting the ball inside 50

agree. move it down there quickly and directly to this forward line and the opposition doesn't stand a chance.

and personally i think "forward pressure" is over-rated. their job is to get it and kick a goal, not to provide "forward pressure". the best type of forward pressure is scoreboard pressure, imo

but if we must have a forward defender to play sammy's role, how about gilbo?

hf: gilbert, kosi, riewoldt
f: milne, fraser, midfield rotation

here is a link to the goal-kicking forward line thread, my pet topic atm

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... 433#495433

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saint66au wrote:Actually I reckon the main problem with teams rebounding against us were not so much our F50 tackling pressure (although I still pine for Sammy H to be in there) but more the 9 defenders against Roo and G once we had spent 10 mins and 34 lateral chip kicks getting the ball inside 50

agree. move it down there quickly and directly to this forward line and the opposition doesn't stand a chance.

and personally i think "forward pressure" is over-rated. their job is to get it and kick a goal, not to provide "forward pressure". the best type of forward pressure is scoreboard pressure, imo

but if we must have a forward defender to play sammy's role, how about gilbo?

hf: gilbert, kosi, riewoldt
f: milne, fraser, midfield rotation

here is a link to the goal-kicking forward line thread, my pet topic atm

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... 433#495433
The key to this forward line is clarke IMO. Can tackle and get the hard ball gets. Get this guy fully fit and he will be the key.

Gilbert is our swingman. Can go forward or back.

First time since '04/'05 that we have had two great small forwards. Can't wait!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:The key to this forward line is clarke IMO. Can tackle and get the hard ball gets. Get this guy fully fit and he will be the key.
hope you're right. i keep waiting for him to turn it on, but he kicked only 15 or so, i think, for 2007.

not enough from a medium forward imo, though i guess you have to take into account the matches he missed through injury and the times he was played elsewhere than the forward line.

perhaps he can prove me wrong, but i'd rather see him on the half back line at this stage

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Solar wrote: The key to this forward line is clarke IMO. Can tackle and get the hard ball gets. Get this guy fully fit and he will be the key.
With Schnider coming in X isnt assured a spot in the side let alone being te key to the forward line... He's got o take a big step up from his '07 form if its to be the case.. Massive step infact.. overall, his year was very poor...

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:
Solar wrote: The key to this forward line is clarke IMO. Can tackle and get the hard ball gets. Get this guy fully fit and he will be the key.
With Schnider coming in X isnt assured a spot in the side let alone being te key to the forward line... He's got o take a big step up from his '07 form if its to be the case.. Massive step infact.. overall, his year was very poor...
If X hadn't kicked so woefully for goal, we'd be raving about his finish to the year. He got to the bottom of packs and won the ball (the winning of the ball was the finish, earlier he'd get to the bottom and sock up the ball), he ran away from would be tacklers with pace, and he provided excellent pressure inside the F50.

Unfortunately, he was more likely to kick 0.2 from 3 shots at goal inside 30 metres as he was to nail multiple goals, and just as we'll firgive milne a 5 touch game if he kicks 2 or 3, touches and tackles from X are useless if he's kicking set shots out on the full.

Fitness and confidence are all that's needed though. X is my tip for big improver of '08.

I suspect Schneider will spend his time as a midfielder who pushes forward rather than a forward into the midfield. HFF and middle.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's all about using rotations to keep the defense on their toes, and not let them get settled into knowing where the ball will be coming in.

Dynamic gameplay - it's my buzz word for 2007/2008.

Art Vandelay
Club Player

Yes, the forward line on paper looks awsome....BUT midfield depth will still be an issue unless one of Armitage or Howard can step up.
We need all of the half back line and midfielders continuously pumping the ball into our forward 50 for the guys mentioned to kick a winning score.
Hopefully 2008 will see lady luck finally on our side with regards to injury management. God knows that after our wretched luck in this area over the last 4 years, a healthy playing list is what we deserve.

claystreet
Club Player

play G in and out of the goal with kozzi swapping over with him. What i would do is play Milne at the units feet every game. He would learn pretty quik to do what he needs to do and thats crumb the big fowards or get ran down and shirt fronted by the big man for getting in the road of a lace out pass onto the G units big hands on a lead. :twisted:

I keep saying fraze only came back to show milney some love
:shock: