City of Casey offered more for the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

SAINTLY73 wrote:I think you've asked the same repetitive questions before about who I might be. Look back my posts, dolphin boy.

It's definitely a dolphin.
you're definately a tool as well

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
The Peanut
Club Player

Saintly73 I can understand some of your concerns and have wondered whether Archie and/or the board had an agenda for moving to Frankston but I don't have any facts to back that up and you haven't provided anything tangible in this thread from what I can establish - we have made the decision now so lets get on with it - whether they did or not.

We could continue arguing where we go forever - no matter where we go some will be unhappy and others happy. I for instance am totally against moving anywhere in the outer suburbs - even if its on the coast, but I am realistic enough to see that a majority of our supporters choose to live in the outer environs.

I would like to see proof that we lose the pokies but if we do and the club find another project to replace the loss of revenue I will be glad to see them go and if part of the 10+mil we need to move is spent on demolishing the stands then so be it.

I suggest that you produce some proof of your statements and many of us will be keen to read them no what they say, but your seemingly emotional posts don't hold much credibility in their current form. IMHO
Last edited by The Peanut on Tue 27 Nov 2007 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
SAINTLY73 wrote:I think you've asked the same repetitive questions before about who I might be. Look back my posts, dolphin boy.

Play nice mate..youve been warned before

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

Play nice mate..youve been warned before
have i?? must have missed it

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SAINTLY73
Club Player

Sorry Peanut, everything I 'm able to source I check that it won't come back and bite my insiders. I think as with my other posts its a wait and see.

Sorry about the grammatical errors. Didn't go to uni but learnt a trade instead. I would find it interesting to see if people would say those things to my face on a building site. Pathetic.

iceman
Club Player

From what I understand and from what a well repected poster both on here and on other forums has informed me is that a key deciding factor in the move to Frankston is that St. Kilda football Club will OWN the facicilties rater then lease them, or lease the land from the council, as what would have happenned with Casey.

Yes Casey offered them a fair bit in terms of Facilities, possible stadium etc. However the Saints will now own a $1million peice of Land in Frankston, giving them potentially a $3Million +asset on the balance sheet.

This help the saints in pursuit of nhon-football related ventures such as seperate social club, also help us get our foot in the door in areas such as Pub shares etc.

karnak
Club Player

Please note this does not constitue personal financial advice. You should seek your own financial advice before making any decisions relating your personal situation.

Debt to make return is good. It is necessary and provides the catalyst for any portfolio value growth. Having an asset on a balance sheet allows a party to take on more debt. Hence with good financial and business decisions the ability to borrow alot more money, and hence make more money. Absolutely this is the key to the move to Frankston.

That being said, I really hope the pokies can stay at Moorabbin as that is a nice piece of cashflow.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Good on Casey for giving it a good crack, but in the end the best deal for the club was done. If they are “spitting chipsâ€

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Don't care how or why we decided on Farnkston, I just thank god every day we didn't go to Casey....

How dare we listen to the players and consider them on where we went :roll:

Do we not know how hard it has been for the Cats to attract big name players down to Gellong because of their location, how do you think we would have gone with Casey?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Frankston Oval is right in the middle of town there.

Casey Fields are out amongst paddocks somewhere between Cranbourne and some other unknown little country town.

Sure, within 3 seconds there are likely to be about 43 housing developments being built around there, but it will be nothing like what Frankston is.

It is this reason, as well as the fact that our history is as a bayside club would have seen Frankston over the line.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SAINTLY73 wrote:Sorry Peanut, everything I 'm able to source I check that it won't come back and bite my insiders. I think as with my other posts its a wait and see.

Sorry about the grammatical errors. Didn't go to uni but learnt a trade instead. I would find it interesting to see if people would say those things to my face on a building site. Pathetic.
Mate no need to apologise for grammar etc etc - wasted on this site anyways.

You posted what you believe was right and I for one appreciate any insight you can give - I do hope your wrong ofcourse as Id like to think a new Board that promised us the world isnt having a 'uh oh" moment so soon in..............time will tell...

Keep up the good posting :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
casey scorp
Club Player

If you want an interesting read on the funding of the grandstand and buildings at Linton Street, have a look at this:

http://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au ... le/238.htm

Little doubt that they would be St Kilda FC assets (close to worthless assets at that).

As far as the talk about losing the gaming machines from Linton Street is concerned, it has nothing to do with the VCGR or the licence – it has to do with the lease provisions and whether the current lease allows St Kilda to maintain occupancy if it moves to Frankston. If the current lease is conditional on the continued presence (ie the heart and soul of the club as distinct from the odd training run) of St KFC, then the relocation of St KFC to Frankston would result in the loss of tenancy. If you don’t have tenancy, you can’t occupy the buildings anymore and you can’t operate your EGMs. It all turns on the question of the lease provisions.

As far as some of the State money being quarantined for grandstand redevelopment, there was a State of Victoria logo plastered on the Frankston announcement. The State money won’t disappear!

The City of Kingston was going to contribute funds to the Moorabbin redevelopment as part of a cocktail of funding for a range of development outcomes (one of which was grandstand removal) – the Council can instead now direct its funds to grandstand removal when they get the reserve back in a few years.

The club will own the land on the north side of Plowman Place with the admin building (asset worth $3-4 million). The club will have a long term lease on the land at Frankston Park containing the training facility.

I’d be very surprised if there was much of a drop in gaming revenue from taking away training, Family Day and Intra-Club matches. Most of the gaming patrons are not footy heads – they are local residents. The establishment of an asset on the balance sheet will allow the club to get involved in a joint venture with another partner for a gaming venue/social facility like other clubs have.

I’d say that Casey Council would be disappointed rather than spitting chips. I’d say it thinks that a decision was made for relatively short term reasons, rather than for 50 years. While the Casey Council wouldn’t have spent much on the proposal so far, it would have contributed more than the City of Frankston is spending if the development had gone to Casey Fields. However for Casey Council it’ll be water under the bridge by now, and I’m sure that the Council will move onto one of many other possible ventures which occur regularly in a Council with 7,000 extra people a year and an annual budget of over $190 million.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the pokies will be remaining at linton street, i dont see what the problem is?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Here's something CS posted to me in another thread which has some relevance to this topic...

Hope u don't mind CS
casey scorp wrote:
The Saints are well ahead with the Frankston deal because they get an asset on the balance sheet – ie they will own the land and the admin building instead of just having a limited term lease. With a tangible asset they can raise some funds to assist in getting into a joint venture with another party for a pokies venue somewhere else. That will earn them revenue. Money makes money sort of thing.

At Casey Fields they would have had a secure long term lease, but they would have been a tenant with no ownership of the asset (same arrangement as Moorabbin has been).

Casey Fields was a better deal for future membership because it was a young new community which they could make their own far more easily than they could the Frankston community. That’s not to say that the Frankston community won’t engage with St Kilda – they will – if you go to the I love Frankston parade (I think on Saturday) I bet the Saints get the biggest cheer of all.

In terms of footy, Casey Fields is a far better facility than Frankston Park. It is only a couple of years old, and is already respected in the AFL/VFL circles as one of the best non-AFL venues around. The ground itself is the size of the MCG, whereas Frankston Park is a narrow little ground. Frankston Council will be doing some work to widen the pockets to make it a better training venue, but it’ll still be second rate to Casey Fields.

The facilities inside the elite training complex building would have been the same at either location.

Casey Fields does have the potential to be developed into a boutique stadium (say 20,000 crowd) which could have hosted matches against low drawing interstate clubs. That will never happen at Frankston. Casey Fields will also be an on-going venue for NAB matches (there is one again next year on March 8 like the Essendon v Hawthorn one earlier this year which drew over 10,000 people). The delivery of the boutique stadium would have been a few years off I’d say.

But the key difference is the asset on their books, and it was a no-brainer really when that opportunity arose.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

it's not a dolphin ....pple thought you were stupid before...now you opened your mouth and just proved it....... :roll: :roll: :roll:

yeah i remember you..greg .alabaster.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Land ownership is one thing that will be in the favour of securing the loans required for the rest of the facility. Having that extra bit of collateral will no doubt be instrumental in securing the funds to put in our part to build the thing.

casey scorp
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Here's something CS posted to me in another thread which has some relevance to this topic...

Hope u don't mind CS
Not at all.

SAINTLY73
Club Player

Casey did offer more.

Casey Fields weren't the end of it.

SAINTLY73
Club Player

Hey dolphin boy. Do you have a beard?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

SAINTLY73 wrote:Hey dolphin boy. Do you have a beard?
Perhaps we could give the childish name calling a rest?..before it all ends in tears

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
casey scorp
Club Player

SAINTLY73 wrote:Casey did offer more.

Casey Fields weren't the end of it.
I've heard about:

* a $37 million aquatic and fitness centre only 700 metres away (which is actually under construction and will open by mid 2009)
* access to a 5 court indoor basketball centre for indoor drills next door to the pool
* construction of sports courts on Casey Fields as an integrated part of the St Kilda development (worth about $4 million)
* the development of a social club by the Scorpions at the entrance to Casey Fields which could have been used by St Kilda for functions etc.

What else (apart from major population growth = membership growth, and a ground the size of the MCG) did the City of Casey offer the Saints.

GrumpyOne

stinger wrote:

it's not a dolphin ....pple thought you were stupid before...now you opened your mouth and just proved it....... :roll: :roll: :roll:

yeah i remember you..greg .alabaster.....
Hell hath no fury like Greg Alabaster scorned. :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Saints are the product and whoever wants to put them in their city has to have what the product needs, so obviously Frankston had a better strategic argument than Casey..what about the Kangaroos to Casey..

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Relax..

My understanding is all the Saints need to do is to "train" at Moorabbin occasionally...

Now training is most likely not defined...so they can do laps.....walk....play bowls....kick a footy....

The Club can keep a Shop there....and saya BigScreen for Fan Gatherings....so a few official social club functions.

In the mean time YES no doubt the club will investigate if there is abetter way to deploy the pokie machines.

But in the mean time our main priorty...to get fair dinkum training facilties has been addressed.

Where in the long term the pokies end up is simply not important.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Buckets
SS Life Member

Gee mate you need your eyesight checked that is definately a shark!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you