Grant Thomas the parasite

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

Thanks for the correction Bakes, but it did appear you were including the Hamill situation in your parasite claims.

Well look, it does not look good on paper either, from my point of view. I am not sure why GT is suing the club. It is certainly not good us at all. But I wonder if in fact he is owed that money. If it has indeed been withheld from him, then perhaps it is in fairness that he does it. But look it is all just speculation. I doubt the public will be kept in the loop about these dealings and I am sure we have not heard the last from Butterss either. Like you said about making sacrifices for the club, that is definatly a good point. Fact is though, last 3 years we have turned a reasonable profit. So we must have some money lying around and if it is owed to GT, then it should be settled once and for all. But if he has infact signed a statutory...then well, who knows what the motives are?

bob__71
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
Huzzad wrote:I highly doubt that Grant Thomas signed Hamill knowing that the last 2 years of his contract would be spent on the sideline. Come on mate. These things happen. You are asking Thomas to look into a crystal ball when he signs a player, expecting them to play out their contract. This is the AFL. People get injured mate. It ends careers. You never know when it is going to happen. This does not make Thomas a parasite; for it to make him one, he would have had to sign Hamill to a 5 year deal knowing that he would retire 2 years before his contract is due (seeing as he didn't play this year, he might as well have retired last year). Seeing as that is an utterly ridiculous idea to begin with, stop bitching about bad fortune and accept it is bad lack for both us and Hamill.
Signing Hamill and Penny to long term contracts does not make Thomas a parasite, buffoon yes, parasite no

Suing the club for $270,000 including a figure of $167,000 for holiday pay after he himself even signed a stat dec stating he'd already been paid this money in full, does

Thomas if he truly loved the club, beyond being his favourite cash cow of recent times, should be content with the more than 2.5 million he has already been overpaid as a result of, according to him, a flawed process in the first place to begin with

Thomas was on $500,000 from the get go with no previous AFL coaching experience

Any reasonble person would conclude that they've already profited quite well already, particularly when you consider that he says he would never do anything to hurt it

It must be so galling for all the truly great St.Kilda men who actually took 22.5 cents in the dollar to actually keep this club in existence, with scheme of arrangement payments, to see Thomas suing the club for $167,000 in holiday pay and even more so when he himself has already signed a stat dec stating he's already been paid all of this money in full

Truly great St.Kilda men are the one's who made the sacrifice to keep this club in existence today, not some pissant, suing the club for two bites at a cherry when he's already been more than generously rewarded for his services

It is also interesting that while all these player's made the sacrifice by taking 22.5 cents in the dollar, Grant Thomas was not one of them he took every cent owing to him and then pissed off to North

FAIR DINKUM

I think the news story puts a highlight on just how flimsy the RB led boards profits were. that he was willing to stiff employees out of their entitlements just so he could paint himself as some kind of urban hero....

It is a joke that he has left this mess for the new board to sort out...things started going down hill when he wouldnt supply training equipment so that he could bask in his million dollar profits. His jobs for the boys style he wasnt taking a wage he was just using stkilda to build business for himself and his mates.....

Anyone who cant see that RB was bleeding the club dry and hiding it behind his snake in the grass accounting practices is a MORON....left the club with no sponsors....hadnt activly recruited any for years.....

FAIR DINKUM

asiu

not that i wanna be a trouble maker or anything

but

go bob

:lol:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I'm still waiting for the response to my question B4E....

maybe you need to run for parliament, you dodge all the questions and blurt out the same nonsense over and over.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
maybe you need to run for parliament, you dodge all the questions and blurt out the same nonsense over and over.
Was just thinking that myself :lol:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
osama milne laden
Club Player

can't believe thomas signed hayes, BJ and goose to long term contracts

didn't he know they were prone to knee reconstructions and broken legs

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

osama milne laden wrote:can't believe thomas signed hayes, BJ and goose to long term contracts

:lol:

I can't believe the Saints accept b4e's money for membership...

Surely they know he is prone to whingeing and whining

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

osama milne laden wrote:can't believe thomas signed hayes, BJ and goose to long term contracts

Thanks, I didn't know Hayes, Goddard and Maguire were on five year deals

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

carlton signed judd to a five year deal.......and he has dicky groins.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote: 1) Was signing hamill to a lower per annum contract at the time (with no injury background and a important leadership position) not a important part of the resigning of all our young stars?
No

2) Was it Grant Thomas's fault that hamill did his knee so many times and thus was never able to fully get back to full fitness? I would argue that perhaps slightly with the employment of bad fitness staff.
It was Grant Thomas's fault that he alone signed both Hamill and Penny to long term 5 year contracts

They always come back to bite you and once again they did

This has cost the club over one million dollars all up for SFA, on the actual playing field

3) Did Grant Thomas decide to work out a payout with hamill when he retired this year? Did he decide to place that payout in this years balance sheet?
Is this a sensible question?

Thomas signed Hamill to a 5 year deal, he was cactus after two and as a result the club was faced with having to payout Hamill's contract

This eventuality only resulted from the imprudence of a five year contract in the first place

4) What is the actual claimate from Grant Thomas and what actually happened with the signing of documents upon termination of his coaching contract.
$273,000, of which $167,000 is for holiday pay even though Thomas already signed a stat dec stating that he'd already been paid all of his holiday and annual leave entitlements already

Is this not weird?

How many muppets can't see this?

5) Did he stat the slanging match in the media (I would answer no) and then why did he not get the agreed payout.
Thomas was agitating in the background and if the full story came out you'd be quite embarrassed that you even defended him in the first place

6) Why is no one on the current board or club employee's critical of Grant Thomas or his claim. Why are they putting aside money to sort this out?
Because there is a legal action against the club

Are you suggesting that they come out publically and air dirty linen?

GrumpyOne

stinger wrote:carlton signed judd to a five year deal.......and he has dicky groins.....
Who is Dicky Groins? :wink:

Saints43
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:$273,000, of which $167,000 is for holiday pay even though Thomas already signed a stat dec stating that he'd already been paid all of his holiday and annual leave entitlements already

Is this not weird?

If it is as simple as that then GT's lawyer has found a cash cow... GT.
How could that claim make it to court?

Yours,
Statler

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Barks, first you whinge that IR Laws have taken away peoples right for holiday pay, and now you're whining that GT shouldn't receive his?? which is it??? :P

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
barks4eva wrote:$273,000, of which $167,000 is for holiday pay even though Thomas already signed a stat dec stating that he'd already been paid all of his holiday and annual leave entitlements already

Is this not weird?

If it is as simple as that then GT's lawyer has found a cash cow... GT.
How could that claim make it to court?

Yours,
Statler
agreed, obviously he has some type of claim unresolved from the deal he made with the former club. The new board has put aside some money to sort this out.

FQF
In richo I trust

bob__71
Club Player

RB signed GT....then resigned him again....then sacked him.....when he sacked him with a year to run on his contract he cost the club $$$$ without any coaching input for the StKilda FC......whenever you sign a coach who is your best mate it always comes back to bite you.....yet he went ahead and did it.

RB also signed MB two an obsene contract....aman who didnt even want to coach anymore....then cost the club a year of development and millions....FAIR DINKUM.....

He didnt spend any money on the football department....complained about the money he did have to spend through the media.....all so he could be an URBAN HERO......all praise Rod Maximus

Solar
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Solar wrote: 1) Was signing hamill to a lower per annum contract at the time (with no injury background and a important leadership position) not a important part of the resigning of all our young stars?
No
Thanks for the insightful response to this question. Personally at the time I thought it was a very clever way of opening up space without using backended contracts that could also come and bite us on the arse (see kouta et al)

Signing one of the leaders of the club at the time can be argued to have encourged good will among the players and produce a player bond, thus allowing us to keep almost all our players. Hindsight is lovely but the fact remains, we have no lost anyone from the club that we did not want to keep. Take up this issue with Hamill re: a payout, from what I have seen both the club and player were happy about the payout, which was less then the contract. (How you can equate this issue to an ex coach is silly)
2) Was it Grant Thomas's fault that hamill did his knee so many times and thus was never able to fully get back to full fitness? I would argue that perhaps slightly with the employment of bad fitness staff.
It was Grant Thomas's fault that he alone signed both Hamill and Penny to long term 5 year contracts

They always come back to bite you and once again they did

This has cost the club over one million dollars all up for SFA, on the actual playing field
[/quote]

Once again, take this up with the players. As I mentioned above, we did not lose anyone because of these contracts, one was a very young full back (which don't grow on trees) and the other was our captain and leader (which the contract allowed us to keep all our young stars).

Yes you can argue about 5 year contracts, perhaps in hindsight they were not great but hell I would of loved to have put the likes of hayes, ball, goose, roo and kosi all on long term contracts at the end of 2004 yet all have suffered injury at some time of the last 3 years. Is this GT's blame??
barks4eva wrote:
3) Did Grant Thomas decide to work out a payout with hamill when he retired this year? Did he decide to place that payout in this years balance sheet?
Is this a sensible question?

Thomas signed Hamill to a 5 year deal, he was cactus after two and as a result the club was faced with having to payout Hamill's contract

This eventuality only resulted from the imprudence of a five year contract in the first place
Well you are suggesting that Grant Thomas carved out 700K out of this years bottom line. Most of that comes from a payout to Hamill, signed and placed on this years bottom line outcome by the current board, CEO and CFO. Nothing to do with the ex coach. This money was always going to be spent on players, hell we have to pay at least 92.5% of the salary cap.

So I ask the question, what has Grant Thomas got to do with this agreed payout and decision to place the full amount on this years balance sheet (never had to).

Please note the question has NOTHING to do with the original contract. So please ANSWER THE QUESTION PUT, not make up your own question and answer it, we have a new Labor Prime Minister that does that enough.
4) What is the actual claimate from Grant Thomas and what actually happened with the signing of documents upon termination of his coaching contract.
$273,000, of which $167,000 is for holiday pay even though Thomas already signed a stat dec stating that he'd already been paid all of his holiday and annual leave entitlements already

Is this not weird?

[/quote]

As said below, obviously he has some basis to the claim. From my knowledge (of course I have no inside knowledge, just what has been announced within the press), he signed off on this stat dec on the basis that he would be getting a payout (500K???). This was on the proviso that he would not attack the club via the media. RB decided to attack him first, thus breaking this contract, then Grant Thomas replied. Thus the board decided not to honour this payout. What would you do in his situation, you would sue a hostile board for not paying out what they agreed upon. In fact by the looks of it he is only sueing for what he believes he deserves before the payout contract, which seems a little less then the agreed payout.
5) Did he stat the slanging match in the media (I would answer no) and then why did he not get the agreed payout.
Thomas was agitating in the background and if the full story came out you'd be quite embarrassed that you even defended him in the first place
[/quote]

So come on, what is the full story? As I have mentioned above, he did not start the slanging match within the media and thus had every right to expect his payout. The previous board went back on this, depsite the president starting the media fight. No wonder he felt like he had a reason to sue.

Not one player came out and said that Thomas was agitating in the background. The current coach said that the time he would rather Thomas not talk to the players but would not stop his players from talking to whoever he wants. I have never heard one official or player outside of the board suggest otherwise.
6) Why is no one on the current board or club employee's critical of Grant Thomas or his claim. Why are they putting aside money to sort this out?
Because there is a legal action against the club

Are you suggesting that they come out publically and air dirty linen?[/quote]

Why not, the former board did, despite no actual facts given for the original claim of agitating starting this whole thing.

Seriously if your upset over someone sueing for a payout they never got, then you have way to much time on your hands. To include the whole "placing hamills payout on the bottom line is Thomas's fault" in the OP is clever and vindictive.

Personally I am sick to death of all this. The club has moved on, they are dealing with the issues sensibly as any good employer should do. I believe most are willing to move on from this, you seem to be stuck on a one man assaination plot.

FQF
In richo I trust

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St. Luke wrote:Barks, first you whinge that IR Laws have taken away peoples right for holiday pay, and now you're whining that GT shouldn't receive his?? which is it??? :P
Hello, Grant Thomas has already signed a stat dec stating that he's already been paid all holiday pay and annual leave entitlements owing to him :roll:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:RB signed GT....then resigned him again....then sacked him.....when he sacked him with a year to run on his contract he cost the club $$$$ without any coaching input for the StKilda FC......
Obviously I'm debating here with an ignorant fool, but I'll press on regardless

Thomas had a unique contract in that he had tried to negotiate a $500,000 bonus on top of the $500,000 he was already on if he delivered a premiership

and people/muppets don't think that Thomas saw the football club as a cash cow....perleeeeeze

Excuse me but I thought the $500,000 he was already on was money paid to him to try and deliver us a premiership, but as far as Thomas was concerned he wanted even more St.Kilda Football club money to line his own pockets with

Obviously Thomas saw this as a convenient way to pay back the one million dollar debt to Butterss that he later refused to pay

The board agreed to give Thomas a $500,000 bonus if he delivered two premierships and given that Thomas had initiated a performance based aspect into his own contract the board inserted a clause of it's own that his contract could be terminated at anytime without any financial payout obligation
RB also signed MB two an obsene contract....aman who didnt even want to coach anymore....then cost the club a year of development and millions....FAIR DINKUM.....
Thomas was equally involved in this decision, numbnut

bob__71
Club Player

First of all I have to say......"IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE"

So after RB stuffed the first coaching position....he gives it to the man who stuffed it up with him.....and then allowed him to take over all other contracts....then sacked him...and cost the club hundreds of thousands of dollars shame....yet some todger pulling, pond scum licking Brick addicts continue to tell us he was a saviour....This man who bled the football department dry.....wouldnt buy them some basic training equipment......who needs footballs for training.

Our Urban Hero Rod.....signed his best mate to coach.....on a contract that was big enough to allow him to pay a sizable loan back.....yet some NUFFIES still try and say he did all these things for the club for free.....His snakeoil accountancy just hid the money he was bleeding from the club.

FAIR DINKUM

JeffDunne

bob__71 wrote:First of all I have to say......"IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE"

So after RB stuffed the first coaching position....he gives it to the man who stuffed it up with him.....and then allowed him to take over all other contracts....then sacked him...and cost the club hundreds of thousands of dollars shame....yet some todger pulling, pond scum licking Brick addicts continue to tell us he was a saviour....This man who bled the football department dry.....wouldnt buy them some basic training equipment......who needs footballs for training.

Our Urban Hero Rod.....signed his best mate to coach.....on a contract that was big enough to allow him to pay a sizable loan back.....yet some NUFFIES still try and say he did all these things for the club for free.....His snakeoil accountancy just hid the money he was bleeding from the club.

FAIR DINKUM
go

ImageImageImageImageImage

BOB!

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
St. Luke wrote:Barks, first you whinge that IR Laws have taken away peoples right for holiday pay, and now you're whining that GT shouldn't receive his?? which is it??? :P
Hello, Grant Thomas has already signed a stat dec stating that he's already been paid all holiday pay and annual leave entitlements owing to him :roll:
I know, I'm just trying to annoy you :P

stinger
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
bob__71 wrote:First of all I have to say......"IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE"

FAIR DINKUM
go

ImageImageImageImageImage

BOB!

love the pom pom girls.......hate be-for...but love the pom-poms......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

bob_71 is my new hero.

Potting GT, RB & B4E all in the same shot is just pure gold.

Just a question though: Is the Urban Hero related to the Midnight Cowboy?

Or did you miss an E on the Urban bit?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
asiu

Bwahahahahah

sometimes i just love mondays !!!!

go bob

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

RB .... GT .... god sakes guys stop looking in the rear veiw maybe we could argue about Stan Alves ?? or how bout Alan Jeans ?? ....... time to move on

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/