Shallow draft....but some good picks left for rookies..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shallow draft....but some good picks left for rookies..

Well that was an interesting draft...

Touted as a shallow draft that was what occurred with teams starting to pass very early and other clubs with few picks in the first place....plus quite a few recycled players at the end.

Some very interesting sliders though...in particular two names that stood out were Gourtis and Gaernter who were touted as top 20 picks but were not picked up at all. So some talent would seem to be on offer in the rookie draft.

Gaernter is less ofa surprise as he was described as potentially brilliant but erratic and so was always a project player.

But Gourtis???? With the wraps on him there must be something that all the clubs new but which was not publically available????? Injury, chracter?????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure they will be among the first to be picked in the rookie draft. Taking someone in the national draft means a two year comittment which some clubs may not be too keen on if there are attitude issues with certain players.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

From the write-ups, I was surprised that they were touted as high as they were. Both appeared to be projects (especially Gaertner), so unless the were supremely good in their strength and clubs were absolutely convinced they could "fix" the issues, they struck me more as rookies. While I was reading, I assumed it was just a reflection on the draft class... but it appears teams weren't as excited about them as the draftniks were.

I do wonder if those upset about a smokey for our last pick would be singing a different tune had the Saints gone with one of those 2.

Certainly if either comes good via the rookie system, I'm sure there will be those who feel duty bound to point it out repeatedly. :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
St.M
Club Player

Would have much preferred Gourdis (who reportedly has a great attitude and character) with our last pick.....he had a great championships at CHF....is an athletic CHF.....needs development....he maybe another Dicketts, Kirkby or may be a steal....like that kid from sydney...

Young Eljay is a real project.....at that weight 65KG, is a similar risk to Houlihan, Raymond, Howard.....just not the strength or too outside to make it.....

Some of our really deep picks have been a mystery......and have not worked out IMO...more a pick and hope

Raven
Club Player

I was surprised about Arrowsmith and Smouha not getting picked up, myself.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Certainly if either comes good via the rookie system, I'm sure there will be those who feel duty bound to point it out repeatedly. :)

Well not I....for as I have posted I have virtually no first hand knowledge of the draft....but yes have fun analysing the Bigfooty draftniks picks as you call them.

However to be fair to the draftniks if you look at the majority of the better draftniks their picks were pretty good considering the huge numbers of people that were nominated for the draft.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 26 Nov 2007 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

Well not I....for as I have posted I have virtually no first hand knowledge of the draft....but yes have fun analysing the Bifgfooty draftniks picks as you call them.

However to be fair to the draftniks if you look at the majority of the better draftniks their picks were pretty could considering the huge numbers of people that were nominated for the draft.
No disrespect to the draftniks. They provide me with entertainment and enough knowledge to enjoy this time of year more than I otherwise would. Some of them clearly spend a lot of time and really do know their stuff. I appreciate their contribution to my procrastination immensely! :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes I certainly appreciate their work too.

One observation too that I just read on Bigfooty as to their accuracy is that their reviews are affected as they obviously do not have the resources to really cover or know about young players who are not part of the major under-age competions and in particular the championships.

Hence not much coverage by themn of smokies like Easton Woods or our own Jake Steven.