Pick 9.....who will it be...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Lynch Beast wrote:you don't want palmer, he is a more extroverted Chad Fletcher (2006 Fletcher, not the awesome 2004 Fletcher)

Seriously, he is a 15 metre player - get the ball from an inside midfielder, get caught and then ineffective handball turnover x 32 times a game.

terrible field kicking, rarely tries to kick long and when he does he misses the target 85% of the time

kicked a few cheap goals in the U18's but that was on the back of a very dominant midfield and 3 goal assists to Masten. Pointless taking a midfielder who can't hit a forward on the lead or kick goals from the 50 and isn't the least bit versatile.

he is also ~1 year older than the other kids, the only thing that improved over the year was his engine and body size.

many players with MUCH more upside available

Rhys Palmer

Good
- Engine
- Ball winning
- handy sidestep
- ok around goals

bad
- short
- lacks genuine pace (gets caught way too often)
- kicking
- overhead marking (non existent)
- hands are not clean at all
- tunnel vision way too often

similar overall to Byron Schammer (also a star at U18's)
i have to agree with you on that masten is the worker and palmer was the polish on top if you could get both .... wow but its a choice of do you want the bloke whos gunna try his guts out and work work work or the guy who has all the talent to burn but only uses it in bursts . but neither will be around by pick 9 cant see west coast and freo passing on either of them

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Oh When the Saints wrote:I actually think McEvoy will end up like Brendon Lade or Jamie Charman. He is big and strong with great hands and excellent ruckwork.

He was as good as Kreuzer in the TAC Cup and averaged a similar number of hitouts despite spending a lot of time forward.

In the middle of the year, most had him going Top 5, so he is a definitely an elite player.
Also, at least according to one thread on BF, he measured in at 200.2 cms - Kreuzer measured at 199.5.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote: I think McEvoy will be a David Hale-level player at best. A guy who will have his regular spot safe, but never really be good enough to have a big impact. Maybe average 10 possessions, 1 goal and 10 hitouts per game as a forward/backup ruckman.
heres an article i copied from another thread!

McEvoy, Simpson have massive shoes to fill 28/9/07 c/o Border Mail

National Talent manager Kevin Sheenhan predicts the Murray Bushranger’s production line of big men will continue in this year’s draft.

Sheehan said Dederang- Mount Beauty prospect Ben McEvoy was in the top handful of big men in the draft and a definite first round pick. Also Wodonga Raiders Dawson Simpson is in the mix as well.

McEvoy has been ultra-consistent this season- playing 17games, averaging 16 possessions, more than 8 marks and 15 hit outs per game- as well as kicking 27.12 for the season.

His record stacks up well against the potential No. 1 pick in Kruezer.
“Kruezer is ranked number one and deserves it, he has had an outstanding year, But then the like of McEvoy and Henderson are two of the taller blokes that would go next in the draftâ€

Go saints in '09!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:I thought it was a good read, especially with the stats. Although it seems he is being touted as a key forward and more of a relief ruckman. For the saints i think we need a full time ruckman not a player more focused on kicking goals than hit-outs.

its a great read just thort mad saint guy by his stats alone he could b way above ur predicted outcomes for the kid
Any solid 200cm forward/ruckman who can play a bit will have impressive stats in junior footy. He is 200cm and about 94kg, and he would have been playing against defenders (who are generally the less talented junior talls) who are under 192cm and 80kg.

He sounds like he will be a decent player, but he hasn't played against anyone his own size and doesn't have any amazing attributes. And if we want him we will have to use pick 9 on him. I would rather take Dawson or Conelly (who could both be better than McEvoy) with pick 42 and grab a quality midfielder with pick 9.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:
i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:I thought it was a good read, especially with the stats. Although it seems he is being touted as a key forward and more of a relief ruckman. For the saints i think we need a full time ruckman not a player more focused on kicking goals than hit-outs.

its a great read just thort mad saint guy by his stats alone he could b way above ur predicted outcomes for the kid
Any solid 200cm forward/ruckman who can play a bit will have impressive stats in junior footy. He is 200cm and about 94kg, and he would have been playing against defenders (who are generally the less talented junior talls) who are under 192cm and 80kg.

He sounds like he will be a decent player, but he hasn't played against anyone his own size and doesn't have any amazing attributes. And if we want him we will have to use pick 9 on him. I would rather take Dawson or Conelly (who could both be better than McEvoy) with pick 42 and grab a quality midfielder with pick 9.

Yea i agree with that, he has played against undersized defenders, but i still think he has great size and at least has some ability for us to have a look at him.

Yes, i have seen a bit from Dawson, he is taller again. He is apparantly a consistent ruckman. From the TAC grand final, he tended to dominate the rucking job, with alot of key hit-outs. I would be seemingly happy with either ben or dawson although it all depends on the picks at the time and the players left.

Go saints in '09!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It is interesting that the young Khan has been elevated....and he is 198cm odd already.....

So I wonder where the club sees him as playing?????....

Along with Van Reehan (201cm at the start of 2007) that gives us two tall young Rookies who are around the 200 odd cm mark..

It may influence who they chase in the main draft....player type wise...as may well the condition of Gardis feet.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 16 Nov 2007 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

With Eddy (solid midfielder who just needs to keep improving), Attard (GOP tagger who should get another chance), VR and KH (two developing rucks) I think we now need a super-quick, skilled midfielder/forward and a mature KPP (preferably Ryan Willits).

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:With Eddy (solid midfielder who just needs to keep improving), Attard (GOP tagger who should get another chance), VR and KH (two developing rucks) I think we now need a super-quick, skilled midfielder/forward and a mature KPP (preferably Ryan Willits).
I assume you mean in the rookie draft for our two slots???

ben_fff
Club Player

Usuall super quick skilled midfielders are left for the rookie draft so that should be easy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:Usuall super quick skilled midfielders are left for the rookie draft so that should be easy.

I asked as MSG two wishes seemed to be at conflict as Ryan Willits was delisted by PA.....is almost 21, played 0 games in 2007 and only 3 in 2006 and so would not seem to be the type of guy that you would use a main draft pick on.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 16 Nov 2007 11:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

ben_fff
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
ben_fff wrote:Usuall super quick skilled midfielders are left for the rookie draft so that should be easy.

I asked as MSG two wishes seem to be at conflict and Ryan Willits was delisted by PA.....is almost 21, played 0 games in 2007 and only 3 in 2006 and so would not seem to be the type of guy that you would use a main draft pick on.

haha I read it the same as you, the sarcasm was directed at them not you.

[/smartarsing]

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

There are always players with pace and skill in the rookie draft. Some are passed in the ND because of lack of size, fitness, attitude, inconsistency, injury etc...If we can draft one and stamp out that problem then he could add a lot to the team.
I asked as MSG two wishes seemed to be at conflict as Ryan Willits was delisted by PA.....is almost 21, played 0 games in 2007 and only 3 in 2006 and so would not seem to be the type of guy that you would use a main draft pick on
Yes I would like us to take him in the rookie draft. He i a huge unit, can play back, forward or ruck and has a reasonable skill set. Played some very good footy towards the end of last year.

Even if Willits never develops into a regular AFL player, he is still a great backup option if we need a big body in defence or an extra target in the forward line.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

mad saint guy wrote:Yes I would like us to take him in the rookie draft. He i a huge unit, can play back, forward or ruck and has a reasonable skill set. Played some very good footy towards the end of last year.

Even if Willits never develops into a regular AFL player, he is still a great backup option if we need a big body in defence or an extra target in the forward line.
Yeah I would like us to take him as a Rookie as well. I remember when he was playing some good footy for Port at the end of last year playing at CHB on Anthony Rocca and also up forward and he looked pretty promising. He also has a thumping kick.

Bono
Club Player

I'll say Jack Grimes with our next pick being Dawson Simpson.

sasaint
Club Player

My guess is that if Myers is available we will pick him up ( but unlikley he will be available at 9) otherwise we'll take Lachlan Henderson. I don't think Ross will rick Rioli as he has depended on natural skills to date and hasn't shown the workrate required for AFL. Second pick will be best available ruck. Third will be best available. :wink:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

I want Rioli or McEvoy personally.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think if we get rioli it will bring a bit more excitemnet to the team a bit more unpredictability

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bump...McEvoy it is!!!!!!

and on Gourdis.....was not picked up by anyone :oops: so despite some big wraps from many that watched him there must be some factor that all clubs new......injury? chracter? simply not good enough???

Could be a good rookie pick.