Nice blokes or a bit up themselves?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

MILNEY- He was a absolute champion. I spent about an 1 hour in the blistering sun talking about the team and so forth. He was great always posing for photos and signing jumpers for the kids. Also staring into his ocean blue eyes are amazing! lol

KOSI- genuine nice guy. Juggling between photos, signings and on field debates. He is a great sport and takes his time to try and get around to everyone. He even good enough to have a kick around with the footy with the others. He also gave me a free loaf of bread, thanks kosi!!

POWELLY- I spent quite a well with him after training once in 2005 having a good chat about injuries and illnesses. He was great, he is very down to earth and genuinely interested in having a talk.

GEHRIG- He is such a great bloke. He is very funny and always there for a chat and a laugh.

When i met HAMILL it wasnt the warmest reception ive had, but im putting that down to the humidity and heat of the day after training and generally probs sick of signing and posing for photos.

Go saints in '09!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Sainter wrote:when did Stewie and Annie separate?
I'd heard that too- don't think it can have been long as in maybe a couple of years- so sad after all they'd been through together.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:NICE PEOPLE or UP THEMSELVES? !!

If this thread was on Forumites, and not players we could have another 20 page thread on our hands :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

1st Vote:

LukeL26 is a nice guy

Rogerwa is a great guy (He paid me to say that) :wink: !!
Why thank you. You are not as scary as they say you are, either Eastern!

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Realised in about Year 8 that the difference between myself and football players was that they would kick a footy for ten years to accumulate work-related injuries, whereas I would work for 50 years sitting in an office to accumulate a lifetime of work-related injuries.

As a consequence, I figured they're only human beings, but not worthy of my attention any more so than anyone else.

Having said that, a lot of them are great blokes (with a few wankers), just like the rest of society.

Outside of the football field, I care about them as much as they care about me.

In the alternative reality of the on-field, I think they're wonderful (or awful - depending on how they play) human beings, and I'm very content to leave it for this period.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

luke.l_26 wrote:

If this thread was on Forumites, and not players we could have another 20 page thread on our hands :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

1st Vote:

LukeL26 is a nice guy

Rogerwa is a great guy (He paid me to say that) :wink: !!
Why thank you. You are not as scary as they say you are, either Eastern!
Eastern is obviously charging you too much for the driving lessons luke.l_26.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Rogerwa is a great guy
yes
he is
i met him once up in sydney at the saints function before the swans v saints game.
very nice man!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

saintdooley wrote:

1st Vote:

LukeL26 is a nice guy !!
LennyBoy, HD, TTSF and gosaintsgo
all very nice people
Fair dinkum dools you're easily pleased.........!

:wink:

andrew Jobling
Club Player

Stew and Annie separated earlier this year, it was a bit of a shock as they had been through alot together.

Behind every great man is...... a surprised woman!
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I used to go to training every week, but that was a few years ago, so opinions may not be up to date.

Grammy has always been really good to me, if he is/was in any way concerned by the fact I went to training for 2 yeatrs and always talked to him for ages he never showed it, he always had time for me and we chatted like we were old friends.

Troy Schwarze was also always super nice, and Nathan Burke took the time to greet me (he even remembered my name!) Of course I met Nicky Winmar about a year ago in Wodonga, and we was amazing as well.

There are always those who aren't as good Aaron Hammil was never nice to anyone in my experience, never saw him smile, even at the kids. Montagna is a smart arse who was always rude and Maguire and Riewoldt just seem disinterested in the fans (unless they are at a club function, then they are nice as pie).

Maybe I'm pegging them unfairly, but thats in my experience.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think with guys like roo, maxy and sammy is that they are sooo intence on the footy feild that after the game/training they are still somewhat in the zone as they say cause ive met the all a day b4 the game and they are all really friendly but after the games they can come across grumpy or standoffish ..
stewie loewe is the greatest bloke i had a great chat with him in the 90's when he was being courted by the dockers and he is truely a saint he never talked down to me even though i was only a kid at the time .

as for rogerwa he is a top bloke as are most of us Western Sainters

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote: There are always those who aren't as good Aaron Hammil was never nice to anyone in my experience, never saw him smile, even at the kids. Montagna is a smart arse who was always rude and Maguire and Riewoldt just seem disinterested in the fans (unless they are at a club function, then they are nice as pie).

You hit the nail on the head there....Totally agree with all four of those players.

I actually have a negative story about Hamill which I cant be bothered re-telling...lets just say he made me feel like tearing up my membership which had contributed to the overpriced contract he was given.

And your Grammy story is fantastic....Those are truly heart warming stories, which highly reflect on individual player personalities.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Is there a trend happeneing?

Players like Reiwoldt, Maguire, Hamill...players whose profiles are boosted by the media such as the footy show seem to get a bit ahead of themselves?

Apart from Dal Santo...The guys above act extremely different in person than how they are perceived in the media. Nowhere near as playful or cheerful in real life.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

then again if you had kids telling you how to kick straight every day you would be a tad standoffish
and with sammy i think him not playing added to his grumpyness .. i remember seeing him in 2004 and this little kid wanted him to sign a footy card but it was a gehrig card so sammy politely told the kid "i can sign it but i think you would rather fraser to sign that " and took him to where fraser and milne were sitting

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
riccardo wrote: There are always those who aren't as good Aaron Hammil was never nice to anyone in my experience, never saw him smile, even at the kids. Montagna is a smart arse who was always rude and Maguire and Riewoldt just seem disinterested in the fans (unless they are at a club function, then they are nice as pie).

You hit the nail on the head there....Totally agree with all four of those players.

I actually have a negative story about Hamill which I cant be bothered re-telling...lets just say he made me feel like tearing up my membership which had contributed to the overpriced contract he was given.

And your Grammy story is fantastic....Those are truly heart warming stories, which highly reflect on individual player personalities.
i would like to hear your story... :P

last year when i saw hamill at training i asked him if he thinks he should play again, or will he just get injured again? is it a smart idea? etc....
and he was pretty rude, and he said to me to think about it, of course he wants to play again, and yes his injury will get better soon!
that was the end of our convo..........so much for that because he was a waist of space in our team last year! :lol:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I first met Hammil at a function for sponsors, we had a small talk to him and I happened to give my opinion on something, he got right close to me and asked "and who are you?" in a rather threatening way, as if my opinion had no meaning. Clearly, one of the other players saw this, and called him away rather quickly.

Avoided him like the plague after that.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Outside of the football field, I care about them as much as they care about me.
Ditto that.
I think the hero worship can go a bit far sometimes. I admire them for their football playing ability and don't really care what they are like away from the field. It's not as if they are actually my friend or a family member.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

all I can say is harvey is marvellous.

looks tired sometimes, but puts in an effort everytime he is seen. for a private guy he is awesome, the kids were hanging on him.

NDS was marvellous with the kids too.

i thought yapper was awesome with the kids.

Monty was fine.

X clarke was a bit on his own, but put in a big effort when a few kids went up to him.

Doc Clarke was charming too, and intelligent, wish we scored him as a ruck coach not a ruckman.

as for being stand offish, well really, i dont care about that really. I know its rude, but I'd rather have a rude arrogant talented player than a junkie or a drunkard.

I haven't met or spoken to many others.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:
evertonfc wrote: Outside of the football field, I care about them as much as they care about me.
Ditto that.
I think the hero worship can go a bit far sometimes. I admire them for their football playing ability and don't really care what they are like away from the field. It's not as if they are actually my friend or a family member.
i gotta say I have thang for banger :(

he's just too good to be true :(

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:
Ditto that.
So it wouldn't bother you if a Saints player was an alcaholic, otr beat up his wife/girlfriend, or did drugs or anything like that?

The amount of angst during the times our boys have gotten in strife with the law the last few years suggests otherwise.

sammy_g

Goddard, Rix, Goose and Armitage are the nicest guys to talk to.

milney044
Club Player

its strange i have never had a problem with aaron, in fact hes been one of the nicest, always very approachable. i remember a few years ago when i was really in awe of them i got him to sign my calendar n he signed it to me personally without being asked, made me feel pretty awesome, especially with all the envious looks i got heh heh.
ive told told him good luck with things a fair few times, and hes always looked me straight in the eye n thanked me like he really meant it. i guess youve just gotta be lucky, they all have good and bad days, just like every one else.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Birss is a really nice bloke to talk to with him being a saints fan as a kid hes really good to talk to about playing along side his heros

luke ball is great hes a bit like harvey in the fact hes very humble and not really outgoing in the conversation he seems to actually enjoy hearing what you have to say as aposed to talking himself

fizz is a bit reseved doesnt hold himself in very high regard

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
Eastern wrote:
Rogerwa is a great guy
yes
he is
i met him once up in sydney at the saints function before the swans v saints game.
very nice man!
saintdooley !!

You are a VERY POOR judge of character :roll: :wink: :wink: !!

saint_kiki
Club Player

The nicest sainters i met were bally, dal and harvey. All of them came across quite relaxed and friendly at the post match function in perth. Dal santo was kind enough to have in-depth conversations with just about every fan that went up to him.

Howard and Sweeney were very friendly as well, and sweeney kept me company at the saints vs dockers game. Only one player appeared stand off-ish, but i'm sure he had his reasons

The saints staff are friendly guys too, particularly sheldon and maddern.
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: as for rogerwa he is a top bloke as are most of us Western Sainters
I agree, all the western sainters i've met have been great :)

Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saint_kiki wrote:The nicest sainters i met were bally, dal and harvey. All of them came across quite relaxed and friendly at the post match function in perth. Dal santo was kind enough to have in-depth conversations with just about every fan that went up to him.

Howard and Sweeney were very friendly as well, and sweeney kept me company at the saints vs dockers game. Only one player appeared stand off-ish, but i'm sure he had his reasons

The saints staff are friendly guys too, particularly sheldon and maddern.
st_Trav_ofWA wrote: as for rogerwa he is a top bloke as are most of us Western Sainters
I agree, all the western sainters i've met have been great :)
we hope to see you graceing the soil of the civic some time next season kiki , with roger myself Roo and mocca around the place could do with a bit of a pleasent veiw
:lol: :lol: :lol: