McQualter goes for next draw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:The common thread in many of the guys who have been delisted is that they were not fully committed to be successful at AFL football in 2007......

Mini was deslisted most likely in large part due to this....
Really?

Is this a fact, or an outsiders opinion?

You ask "is this fact"...when I have stated "most likely"....

Please consider what "most likely" can mean and then you will have the answer to your question.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:The common thread in many of the guys who have been delisted is that they were not fully committed to be successful at AFL football in 2007......

Mini was deslisted most likely in large part due to this....
Really?

Is this a fact, or an outsiders opinion?

You ask "is this fact"...when I have stated "most likely"....

Please consider what "most likely" can mean and then you will have the answer to your question.
But you didn't have a 'most likely' ahead of this statement...

"The common thread in many of the guys who have been delisted is that they were not fully committed to be successful at AFL football in 2007......"

Is this fact? Or an outsiders opinion?

Besides, why would it be 'most likely'? I think it's unfair to question his attitude without knowing him.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I have already answered your question....but understand that all you really are attempting to do is bait me and trash yet another forumites string.

Rather sad that you continue to do this....but continue on.....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I have already answered your question....but understand that all you really are attempting to do is bait me and trash yet another forumites string.

Rather sad that you continue to do this....but continue on.....
Slow down.

This is a thread discussing the de-listing of McQualter. A high draft pick who we invested alot in.

It's being discussed as to whether or not 'Ross' was correct to de-list him.

To read a comment that came across as fact that he was and others have been de-listed due to their commitment levels, is incredibly interested. And quite controversial.

Ask any player, they don't mind being bagged for their ability, but to have your commitment questioned is the ultimate insult.

I just asked for clarification as to whether or not it was fact, or an opinion.

Relax.

You've clarified it. It's clear now.

Take it easy.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

claystreet wrote:I was surprised he was still on our list so late
he wasnt going to cut it imho
Also i believe there are also some players who can think themselfs
lucky they wern't cut also
names champ?? put your money where your mouth is, its easy to do the job of list management from the outside.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Solar
Saintsational Legend

lost all confidence during the season and was struggling with casey at the end of the year. Might have been handy to keep with question marks over baker and attard in the short term but was passed by the likes of birss, jones, geary and eddy. With highly rated armo heading into his second season (needs to look at the story of mini as a warning about how quickly AFL can go sour) plus perhaps another highly rated mid at pick 9 he was always going to be in the gun.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
To read a comment that came across as fact that he was and others have been de-listed due to their commitment levels, is incredibly interested. And quite controversial.

Ask any player, they don't mind being bagged for their ability, but to have your commitment questioned is the ultimate insult.

Controversial???? Not sure why. You will commonly read or hear observations how some players are better trainers than others....how some players will push themleves more....how some players will go missing in a quarter.....

There is a saying to the effect that success is 99% due to perspiration.....

The very successuful sports people that I know who have represented Australia all have one thing in common...outstanding work ethic to always do more than others...that same ethic has then propelled them on to successful business careers.

How far an individual can push themselves, and them push again is a quality that varies from individual to individual....

Look at say Banger...does he have sublime skills???? Does he have perhaps the best work ethic of any AFL player ever??? Can Banger just push himself more in games and in training because his attitude to succeed is just that bit better and more focussed than others???

Is it insulting 99% of AFL players to say that in terms of attitude that Banger is better than them?

Now you cannot have just a great work ethic...you need talent. But each player has a different amount of talent.....and a different capabilty to make the most out of that talent.

Just as a player may have blistering pace......a player might have a better attitide which allows him to wring the last bit of his talent out.....or do just commit to doing a few more 1%ers per game.....to concentrate more throughout a game....

From what I have heard Mini did not do everything he could have to succeed. This does not mean that he has a "bad" attitude...just that he was not as committed as he could have been to make the most of his talent.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Unquestionable work ethic from what I've seen.

Mini lost confidence after being asked to play as a tagger.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:

Mini lost confidence after being asked to play as a tagger.
Is that not do with the mind..?????

So his attitude was affected by his reaction to where is coach wanted to play him???

Was he tagging at Casey when he was playing poorly????
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 19 Nov 2007 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

A portion of the blame must rest with the coach, as it was his decision to play McQualter as a tagger, and that decision killed off his confidence and ultimately cost him a spot on the list.

But yes, it is to do with the mind.

But I wouldn't question his committment - he worked as hard as most at the club from what I saw.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

But I wouldn't question his committment - he worked as hard as most at the club from what I saw.
So why in a game did he go missing?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Controversial???? Not sure why. You will commonly read or hear observations how some players are better trainers than others....how some players will push themleves more....how some players will go missing in a quarter.....

There is a saying to the effect that success is 99% due to perspiration.....

The very successuful sports people that I know who have represented Australia all have one thing in common...outstanding work ethic to always do more than others...that same ethic has then propelled them on to successful business careers.

How far an individual can push themselves, and them push again is a quality that varies from individual to individual....

Look at say Banger...does he have sublime skills???? Does he have perhaps the best work ethic of any AFL player ever??? Can Banger just push himself more in games and in training because his attitude to succeed is just that bit better and more focussed than others???

Is it insulting 99% of AFL players to say that in terms of attitude that Banger is better than them?

Now you cannot have just a great work ethic...you need talent. But each player has a different amount of talent.....and a different capabilty to make the most out of that talent.

Just as a player may have blistering pace......a player might have a better attitide which allows him to wring the last bit of his talent out.....or do just commit to doing a few more 1%ers per game.....to concentrate more throughout a game....

From what I have heard Mini did not do everything he could have to succeed. This does not mean that he has a "bad" attitude...just that he was not as committed as he could have been to make the most of his talent.
All fair comments.

I just asked whether your comment was a fact, or an opinion - that's all.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

A- he worked as hard as most at the club from what I saw.
But perhaps when you skills and pace are just average......working as hard as most is not enough to make a difference????....both on the training track....and in the games...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

So why in a game did he go missing?
More than likely he wasnt good enough. Why does it have to be a committment thing or the coaches fault? Some players just arent good enough. Maybe he can do extra work and run and run but his bodies matabilism doesnt allow him to have that big of an engine. Sometimes theres nothing you can do no matter how hard you work.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

I just asked whether your comment was a fact, or an opinion - that's all.
Yes I was just offering my opinion and only intended it to be read that way...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Why would you say Jones isnt quick he may not be a lot of things but hes defanatly quick.
It's a myth. He might have been quick at WAFL level, but in the AFL, his pace is no more than 7/10 - that's probably being generous. We have three genuinely quick, hard-running blokes: Montagna, Schneider and Fiora. They're all 8 or above. Gram could make a case to get in there, too.

Throw in the rabbit-in-the-headlights approach he takes to the game, and that slows down his ability to move and think as quickly as other players. Ultimately, this negates his supposed 'big asset', rendering him pretty inneffectual and bordering on a liability when you think about his disposal.

I've been critical of Birss before, but at least you know Birss is a reasonable back-up who is pretty solid at the contested footy.

My only hope is that RL sees potential for Jones to get up to speed with AFL level, improve his kicking, rectify his ability to read the play and get him to stop looking so uncomfortable on the football field.

If RL can do this, hopefully by the time he turns 25 (yes, that gives him 12 months and not a moment more), then it will prove a coaching masterstroke.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:...yet RL sees a spot on the list for Clinton Jones?
Teflon wrote:
Yet again you demonstrate the often simplistic views seen at times...

Jones is no star. Mqualter is no star. Both have the ability to be good honest players. 1 slots into a side in desperate need of some run (Jones......for your benefit) the other is 2ft 10, runs like a snail and cant kick over a jam tin (or greater than 30)....

Its called horses for courses - as Lyon told him upfront -
"there no spot for YOU in the side".....that doesnt mean Mqualter is finished at AFL level what it means is he doesnt posess the capabilities required right now at St Kilda - Jones has some of these. And yes I know Jones is not Judd but I also know early last season he gave us some good dash AND some added pressure on opposition players purely through his pace and ability to get where the ball is often enough (and his kicking is not as bad as Andrew Thompsons was IMHO...and he did allright).

Good luck to mini but its time he moved on. AND if Gwilt does little this year cya later next year for him also....along with some higher profile names for mine...its time to get real about our list...as Ross has started and has been neglected for to long.
Absolutely 100% agree, Tef

good to read someone with a clue around this place :wink:

Jones has pace and ball carrying ability, something we lack due to the poor list management from the previous coach and football department

Good to see Ross Lyon making the calls and trying to repair the damage from the buffoonery of the past that sent our list into decline in the first place

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to Mini, I always thought he had class and I hope he gets picked up and gets a second go at a successful career. The fact he was consistantly overlooked this year despite tearing up the VFL is an oversight I hope dosen't come back to haunt us.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Jones has pace and ball carrying ability, something we lack due to the poor list management from the previous coach and football department

Good to see Ross Lyon making the calls and trying to repair the damage from the buffoonery of the past that sent our list into decline in the first place
You don't think recruiting sub-par footballers could be considered a 'quick fix'?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
evertonfc wrote:...yet RL sees a spot on the list for Clinton Jones?
Yet again you demonstrate the often simplistic views seen at times...

Jones is no star. Mqualter is no star. Both have the ability to be good honest players. 1 slots into a side in desperate need of some run (Jones......for your benefit) the other is 2ft 10, runs like a snail and cant kick over a jam tin (or greater than 30)....

Its called horses for courses - as Lyon told him upfront -
"there no spot for YOU in the side".....that doesnt mean Mqualter is finished at AFL level what it means is he doesnt posess the capabilities required right now at St Kilda - Jones has some of these. And yes I know Jones is not Judd but I also know early last season he gave us some good dash AND some added pressure on opposition players purely through his pace and ability to get where the ball is often enough (and his kicking is not as bad as Andrew Thompsons was IMHO...and he did allright).

Good luck to mini but its time he moved on. AND if Gwilt does little this year cya later next year for him also....along with some higher profile names for mine...its time to get real about our list...as Ross has started and has been neglected for to long.

Wow, he can run....Maybe that might be enough to make him captain....

TOO much emphasis is placed on 'ball carrying abilities'. And clearly not enough on 'ball usage abilities'....

Its a simple equation Teflon, if you cant dispose of the ball very well in todays game...these 'ball carrying abilities' are next to useless.

Footballers > Atheletes

McQualter > Jones.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ok ill have a go at this one

mini i feel was drafted by thomas to do a specific job in the team when RL took over he had a differant veiw of what he wanted mini to do as it turned out mini wasnt up to scratch to do the job RL wanted as a show of faith RL told mini that due to his place in the team he would be better off playing else where ,not cause hes crap, not for lack of effort but due to what the saints need and what he offers . compairing him to CJ is like apples and oranges , CJ has a role in RL plan maybe as a fringe 22 player who knows but RL drafted CJ for a reason and has kept him for a reason time will tell if its a good choice or not ... as for CJ's rabbit in the headlights maybe with a few more games his nerves will settle and that will dissapere remember he was playing pretty good footy and on the improve up until his injury and collar bones are not always easy to come back from

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
CURLY wrote:Why would you say Jones isnt quick he may not be a lot of things but hes defanatly quick.
It's a myth. He might have been quick at WAFL level, but in the AFL, his pace is no more than 7/10 - that's probably being generous. We have three genuinely quick, hard-running blokes: Montagna, Schneider and Fiora. They're all 8 or above. Gram could make a case to get in there, too.

Throw in the rabbit-in-the-headlights approach he takes to the game, and that slows down his ability to move and think as quickly as other players. Ultimately, this negates his supposed 'big asset', rendering him pretty inneffectual and bordering on a liability when you think about his disposal.

I've been critical of Birss before, but at least you know Birss is a reasonable back-up who is pretty solid at the contested footy.

My only hope is that RL sees potential for Jones to get up to speed with AFL level, improve his kicking, rectify his ability to read the play and get him to stop looking so uncomfortable on the football field.

If RL can do this, hopefully by the time he turns 25 (yes, that gives him 12 months and not a moment more), then it will prove a coaching masterstroke.
Its a myth? :roll: :roll: :roll: Is this your opinion because if so you go against every profile ive seen published on Jones. Sure he may look like he panics at the moment but almost all footballers look rushed when they go up a standard in football until they get used to the tempo. This occurs from local footy to AFL. Hopefully Jones adjust and he can be a handy depth player either way our season isnt hinging on Jones dominating.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:ok ill have a go at this one

mini i feel was drafted by thomas to do a specific job in the team
I'm pretty sure McQualter was drafted by Beveridge under instruction to pick 'the best available player'.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Sure he may look like he panics at the moment but almost all footballers look rushed when they go up a standard in football until they get used to the tempo.
Herein lies the key argument. At what age do you project he's going to make this improvement?

If he was 18, and had, say, four years to get it right, then fair enough - he'd have ten years ahead of him of strong footy.

But at 24 - during which most players have enjoyed six years of AFL development - you should be entering your peak as the window of improvement in your game changes from a broad canvas to a sliver of faint hope for those who haven't yet established themselves.

The original gamble on Jones last year was fine. But given his age, he needed to fire quickly. We needed to make a call on him this year based on what he had shown. I think we can all agree he looked well out of place at AFL, and didn't even show signs of having the potential to make it.

It seems like a terribly low percentage play to keep him and hope that he'll iron out the sizable problems in his game at his age when his scope for improvement has diminished so much.

Putting on my rose-coloured supporter glasses, I hope I'm wrong and he goes on to have a great career with the Saints. Nothing would please me more.

However, objectively, it just seems an odd decision when that spot on the list could go to a raw 18-year old who could probably already match Jones's output (let's face it - minimal at AFL level and reasonable at VFL level) in 2008 and still have oodles of improvement left in him over the next few years.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
CURLY wrote:Sure he may look like he panics at the moment but almost all footballers look rushed when they go up a standard in football until they get used to the tempo.
Herein lies the key argument. At what age do you project he's going to make this improvement?

If he was 18, and had, say, four years to get it right, then fair enough - he'd have ten years ahead of him of strong footy.

But at 24 - during which most players have enjoyed six years of AFL development - you should be entering your peak as the window of improvement in your game changes from a broad canvas to a sliver of faint hope for those who haven't yet established themselves.

The original gamble on Jones last year was fine. But given his age, he needed to fire quickly. We needed to make a call on him this year based on what he had shown. I think we can all agree he looked well out of place at AFL, and didn't even show signs of having the potential to make it.

It seems like a terribly low percentage play to keep him and hope that he'll iron out the sizable problems in his game at his age when his scope for improvement has diminished so much.

Putting on my rose-coloured supporter glasses, I hope I'm wrong and he goes on to have a great career with the Saints. Nothing would please me more.

However, objectively, it just seems an odd decision when that spot on the list could go to a raw 18-year old who could probably already match Jones's output (let's face it - minimal at AFL level and reasonable at VFL level) in 2008 and still have oodles of improvement left in him over the next few years.
again see him pre injury his first game wasnt great but his second he got better and the signs of improvment were there after his injury he came back a little to timmid (part to the fact his injury hurt like hell) and he looked out of place , who knows if he will make it maybe he will have a break out year and prove all his knockers wrong lets just give him a chance heck we gave 5 years to brooks i think 2 for CJ is fair ?!?!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/